PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a different sort of RPG

averagejoe
2012-05-21, 04:45 PM
Specifically one with simple rules, but that isn't rules-lite. So I'm not looking for a, "Roll a d6 for every problem," sort of RPG; there should be a framework for what players can/can't do, just not one that, for example, has pages and pages of combat rules. I'm tired of Morrowind and looking for Minecraft, so to speak.

I also wonder, are there any RPG's out there without such a focus on numerical advancement? To use another video game analogy, I'm thinking about the Legend of Zelda, where, yes, your numbers do sometimes get bigger, but the bulk of the advancement you do has to do with acquiring items that expand your capabilities, giving you more options in combat without necessarily giving you more direct power.

I hope any of that at all makes sense. I'd actually like to hear about any odd or off-color sorts of RPG's, but I'm particularly interested to know whether there are any like the above two I described. I guess I'm in sort of a funk RPG-wise, and would like to try something different, but without having to learn a million bajillion rules.

Thanks in advance!

Tengu_temp
2012-05-21, 04:51 PM
Sounds like Fate/Spirit of the Century to me. The rules are simple but based on well-defined skills, and there's a lot of room for improvising clever solutions. Advancement means you slowly gain more aspects and stunts over time - you learn more useful tricks but don't really grow in power much.

Also, the SRD is absolutely and legally free. (http://www.crackmonkey.org/~nick/loyhargil/fate3/fate3.html)

Totally Guy
2012-05-21, 05:09 PM
When it comes to weird and wonderful I've yet to see something weirder and more wonderful than FreeMarket. It's a science fiction game about running a business on a space station. The space station has moved past scarcity and the need for traditional money, folks there give things away and receive a social currency called flow.
It's a game where you get rich by making friends, giving away all your stuff and making the space station a better and more efficient place. But be warned, once you leave the society you may never return and the space is limited.

The setting is very optimistic on the surface, but the game asks some complicated questions about what it is to be human that you answer through play.

averagejoe
2012-05-21, 11:00 PM
Sounds like Fate/Spirit of the Century to me. The rules are simple but based on well-defined skills, and there's a lot of room for improvising clever solutions. Advancement means you slowly gain more aspects and stunts over time - you learn more useful tricks but don't really grow in power much.

Also, the SRD is absolutely and legally free. (http://www.crackmonkey.org/~nick/loyhargil/fate3/fate3.html)

Hmmm, that actually looks pretty interesting, at least mechanics-wise. The focus on pulp concerns me a little. I'm a bit tired of "cinematic" games as well, I must admit, but it seems like it would be simple enough to file the serial numbers off. Do you know how it plays with slower-paced, more atmospheric games?

Eldan
2012-05-21, 11:10 PM
Hmmm, that actually looks pretty interesting, at least mechanics-wise. The focus on pulp concerns me a little. I'm a bit tired of "cinematic" games as well, I must admit, but it seems like it would be simple enough to file the serial numbers off. Do you know how it plays with slower-paced, more atmospheric games?

FATE actually has many, many derrivatives, and it can be applied to a lot of things. Basically, changing the skill lists already gives you a lot of options. Similarly, there are several magic systems developed for it.

But yes, it is exactly what I would recommend to you. Not necessesarily Spirit of the Century, if you don't want pulp, but there are a few versions of FATE that are more classical fantasy.

Grail
2012-05-22, 02:17 AM
MERP is a good system. I wrote up plenty of info a couple years back for running DnD styled games with MERP, the group really liked it, but unfortunately I had to stop game due to RL issues.

horngeek
2012-05-22, 02:25 AM
FATE actually has many, many derrivatives, and it can be applied to a lot of things. Basically, changing the skill lists already gives you a lot of options. Similarly, there are several magic systems developed for it.

But yes, it is exactly what I would recommend to you. Not necessesarily Spirit of the Century, if you don't want pulp, but there are a few versions of FATE that are more classical fantasy.

If you'd prefer Modern Fantasy, use the Dresden Files RPG. It can actually be used to play in different time periods as well (one campaign log on the net has it being used to play in Prague during the 30 Year War). There are only two skills that are specific to the modern day (Guns and Driving), and both can be altered if you want to play in the past- Guns would probably become Archery, and Driving would probably become Horsemanship.

dsmiles
2012-05-22, 05:05 AM
Sounds like Dungeon World (http://www.dungeon-world.com/).

Yora
2012-05-22, 05:17 AM
Maybe even Dragon Age RPG. It's not heavy on items, but fits most of the other things, I think.

Siegel
2012-05-22, 07:19 AM
Lady Blackbird maybe?