PDA

View Full Version : Blue Thunder vs Airwolf

gooddragon1
2012-05-21, 05:54 PM
Finished watching blue thunder yesterday night and ...

Pilots: Murphy for the Blue Thunder vs Hawke for the Airwolf

Alteration to Blue Thuder (because I just saw the payload for the Airwolf...) the armor is replaced by Ceramite and whatever the imperium uses for transparent material on their aircraft for the glass.

Battle takes place in the ruined city of Inception (the dream one).

Who wins?

NOTE: If you have any ideas as to what would make the fight more interesting I'm open to hear them.

The Glyphstone
2012-05-21, 09:02 PM
Information please, for the people who have no idea who or what Blue Thunder or Airwolf or Murphy or Hawke are?

gooddragon1
2012-05-21, 10:47 PM
Blue Thunder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Thunder)

Airwolf (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airwolf_%28helicopter%29)

Murphy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Thunder#Plot)

Hawke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stringfellow_Hawke)

Ceramite (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ceramite)

DMfromTheAbyss
2012-05-22, 01:44 AM
My money is on Airwolf.

Even with the improvements to armor, a faster vehicle can dictate the encounter.

Also a helicopter built by the CIA for blowing up hostile air craft and invading forign soil trumps a crime fighting helicopter built for police work.

Fri
2012-05-22, 04:13 AM
If I remember it correctly, Blue thunder is basically a stealth helicopter for police/crimefighting work, with smartgun system that can attack pinpoint target without hitting closeby civilians or hostage. Basically it's build for urban crimefighting. It's a police mecha.

Airwolf is an fighting helicopter for war, with basically bigger gun, missiles, and maneuverability. It's a military mecha.

Airwolf would win in straight-up fight.

But of course, it usually is never that simple :smallbiggrin:

And wow, I don't know who's a better pilot, Murphy or Hawke. They both have such similar background, both being vietnam war veteran and all...

Elder Tsofu
2012-05-22, 04:54 AM
I don't know anything about carmite, but how would it cover Blue Thunder? Would it just be armour covering most of it (leaving rotors as viable targets) or would the aircraft somehow be "solid" carmite? (except for windows which is some sort of unspecified transparent material)

TheEmerged
2012-05-22, 05:11 PM
Airwolf has Mermaid Man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Borgnine) on its side, don't forget that.

When an actor of that caliber -- I'm not being sarcastic -- speaks fondly of his days on the show, it says something.

Comedy aside, I don't remember Blue Thunder being armed with anything better than a machine gun, while AirWolf had missiles and (later in the series) a ray gun.

Theme music *definitely* goes to Airwolf.

factotum
2012-05-23, 04:47 PM
Airwolf, no question. The critical thing here is that Blue Thunder was actually semi-realistic (apart from the whole "silent helicopter" thing), while Airwolf was bat guano crazy; I mean, a helicopter that can fly at Mach 1 without ripping its own rotor blades off? Therefore Airwolf wins because it can do impossible stuff Blue Thunder can't hope to match.

Aotrs Commander
2012-05-23, 06:06 PM
I recall reading something way back years ago when I read a novelisation or something on Airwolf - I just did a google check, and I remembered correctly. It stated that at one point, it was armed with nuclear-tipped Shrike missiles. Which is shows a) the writers had nothing more than a passing knowledge of actual military gear and b) fraking ridiculous firepower.

For reference, the AGM-45 Shrike missile was the predessor to the current AGM-88 HARM, an anti-radar missile, used for Wild Weasel missions, i.e. the suppression of enemy air-defences, i.e. AAA and SAMs.

So basically, Airwolf was preportedly carrying a weapon that is akin to using a rocket launcher to swat a fly. I mean, yeah, a nuke would technically "suppress" anti-air defence, for a suitably permenant definition of "suppression", but seriously, crazy-wrong tool for the job!

I was pretty sure I remembered in correctly, because it was so outrageously, skull-palmingly, chosen-by-a-writer-who-thought-that-name-sounded-cool-ingly stupid it stuck in my head.

gooddragon1
2012-05-23, 11:50 PM
The Blue Thunder gets AV 14 all the way around (or whatever adamantine does in WH40k) and a hurricane bolter. Wutnao?

Also: Imperator titan class warp shields.

Inb4 can't fit that on a helicopter.

Avilan the Grey
2012-05-24, 05:27 AM
Airwolf was about as realistic as Knight Rider, AFAIR...

Aotrs Commander
2012-05-24, 06:15 AM
The Blue Thunder gets AV 14 all the way around (or whatever adamantine does in WH40k) and a hurricane bolter. Wutnao?

Also: Imperator titan class warp shields.

Inb4 can't fit that on a helicopter.

Then why are we having a debate? If you're going to keep ungrading one combatant (with sci-fi technology), what's the point of debating whether this one helicopter could beat this other helicopter? You may as well replace Blue Thunder with a 40K vehicle altogether and get the result you want, because by the time you've turned a police helicopter into a Thunderhawk, it ain't Blue Thunder anymore. You're now debating 40K technology verses fantasy 20th century technology. (Actually since both work entirely of rule-of-cool - and come to that are pretty much equally silly, I'd call it even and everybody dies in a nuclear/warp explosion of something. That's very 40K isn't it?)

You may as well have a verses thread between Harry Potter and Sauron, only Harry Potter's a Jedi, and has Spiral Power and been trained by Sun Goku, and Sauron doesn't have the one ring, had been transformed into a bunny and had both his legs browkn and his magic removed. It's sort of a meaningless debate.

gooddragon1
2012-05-24, 08:43 AM
Then why are we having a debate? If you're going to keep ungrading one combatant (with sci-fi technology), what's the point of debating whether this one helicopter could beat this other helicopter? You may as well replace Blue Thunder with a 40K vehicle altogether and get the result you want, because by the time you've turned a police helicopter into a Thunderhawk, it ain't Blue Thunder anymore. You're now debating 40K technology verses fantasy 20th century technology. (Actually since both work entirely of rule-of-cool - and come to that are pretty much equally silly, I'd call it even and everybody dies in a nuclear/warp explosion of something. That's very 40K isn't it?)

You may as well have a verses thread between Harry Potter and Sauron, only Harry Potter's a Jedi, and has Spiral Power and been trained by Sun Goku, and Sauron doesn't have the one ring, had been transformed into a bunny and had both his legs browkn and his magic removed. It's sort of a meaningless debate.

Yeah, you're right. It's a real pity though because I would have liked to have thought the two would have been nicely matched (right up until the nuke of course). I guess the debate can be closed on this one.