PDA

View Full Version : Kobold Harpoon Ballista

White_Drake
2012-05-21, 07:45 PM
I was thinking about DMing a casual game for a couple of friends centering on a guerrilla between a tribe of kobolds and an elvish village; I was thinking about how, for kobolds to actually be effective, their best bet is crippling effects such as entanglement. Therefore, I now present to you, the

Kobold Harpoon Ballista
Size: Large
Cost: 500 gp
Weight: 200 lbs
Damage: 2d8
Critical: 19-20
Range Increment: 90 ft
Typical Crew: 3

Harpoon ballistae fire heavy, barbed spears that trail sturdy rope. If it deals damage, the harpoon lodges in an opponent who fails a Reflex saving throw against a DC equal to the damage dealt. The harpooned creature moves at only half speed and cannot charge or run. If the creature attempt to cast a spell, it must succeed on a Concentration check (DC 15), or fail, losing the spell. The harpooned creature can pull the harpoon from its wound if it has two free hands and takes a full round action to do so, but it deals damage to itself equal to the initial damage the harpoon dealt. A character who succeeds on a heal check (DC 15), can remove the harpoon without further injury. The trailing rope limits the maximum range to 90 ft, but if the ballista is bolted to a surface, then the attacker may attempt to use an attached winch to reel in the target. As a full round action the attacker may make an opposed Str check, with an effective Str of 20 from the winch. If the attacker succeeds, for every two points by which his check exceeded that of the defender the defender is pulled in five feet. If the defender wins the check there is no effect. A harpoon ballista's size makes it difficult for some creatures to aim it. Thus, a small creature takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls when firing a harpoon ballista. It takes any creature smaller than Medium two full round actions to reload a ballista. Harpoon ballistae are exotic weapons, although kobolds treat them as martial.

Comments, suggestions, oaths of fealty, or death threats?

LordErebus12
2012-05-21, 07:53 PM
i like it, a lot!

White_Drake
2012-05-21, 08:02 PM
Thanks! :smallbiggrin: