PDA

View Full Version : [3.PF] Spell help

bartman
2012-05-21, 08:35 PM
I am looking for some help with spell selection for a sorcerer. First, a little background on our campaign and my character.

We are using Pathfinder rules, with 3.5 sprinkled in to fill gaps. If there is a PF rule, feat, spell, than that overrides. The campaign is set in a world where spontaneous casters are deemed illegal. If you are found to be a spontaneous caster, then you are either forced to take something that makes your powers go away, or are killed.(Think Babylon 5 with Psychics, and Psi Corps, only not as hardcore as that). All of our group started out life as something other than a spontaneous caster. I am playing a spy of sorts, using the PF Ninja as a two weapon fighter, and poisoner. We just reached level 6, and our DM told us we are all getting a gestalt class. A spontaneous caster gestalt half. I was given a Shadow bloodline Sorcerer. This gestalt half is unchangeable, so it will always advance as the given class, no prestige class on that side(that being said, we can prestige the other half, to apply to either one, or the other, or both halves).

I am looking for some good utility spells, maybe some damage ones, but mostly utility since I will be mainly a melee fighter. I generally play skirmish type characters, usually TWF. I also enjoy the warlock, but that is the extent of my playing a spellcaster.

I have 6*lvl 0, 5*lvl 1, 3*lvl 2, and 2*lvl 3 known spell. Can you offer any suggestions as to spell selection? Remember, PF rules and PF overrides 3.5, but if a similar PF spell does not exist, than 3.5 spells are OK

Thank you all

Larpus
2012-05-21, 10:30 PM
Well, I'm not half good on picking up spells, which is why I prefer to stay away from spontaneous guys, but I do recall seeing one spell that might prove useful for you due to the whole "illegal" thing: Illusion of Calm (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/illusion-of-calm).

With that thing on, you can cast to your heart's content without anyone noticing (though the duration is not long enough to fire in the morning and forget about it), so careful consideration (even for picking it up at all) and usage are needed.

Also worthy of mention is that if you're playing with the alternate favored class bonuses rules, you might as well go Human, since their option for Sorcerer is "Add one spell known from the sorcerer spell list. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level the sorcerer can cast.", which covers quite well your main Achilles's heel.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-05-22, 12:37 AM
Well, Wings of Cover (2nd level) is one of the most potent spells in 3E and has no PF analogue... Ditto for Wings of Flurry when you get 4th level spells.

Would the PF Anticipate Peril spell be considered as "over riding" the Spell Compendium's Nerveskitter spell? Both give init bonuses of (up to) +5, but work very differently. Anticipate Peril functions more like the Sign spell (also in SpC), and is thus worse.

bartman
2012-05-24, 05:36 PM
Well, I'm not half good on picking up spells, which is why I prefer to stay away from spontaneous guys, but I do recall seeing one spell that might prove useful for you due to the whole "illegal" thing: Illusion of Calm (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/illusion-of-calm).

With that thing on, you can cast to your heart's content without anyone noticing (though the duration is not long enough to fire in the morning and forget about it), so careful consideration (even for picking it up at all) and usage are needed.

Also worthy of mention is that if you're playing with the alternate favored class bonuses rules, you might as well go Human, since their option for Sorcerer is "Add one spell known from the sorcerer spell list. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level the sorcerer can cast.", which covers quite well your main Achilles's heel.

The alternate favored class would not come into play since we were already something, and acquired the gestalt class later. The spell is definitely something to consider, and would work well with the spy thing i think.

Well, Wings of Cover (2nd level) is one of the most potent spells in 3E and has no PF analogue... Ditto for Wings of Flurry when you get 4th level spells.

Would the PF Anticipate Peril spell be considered as "over riding" the Spell Compendium's Nerveskitter spell? Both give init bonuses of (up to) +5, but work very differently. Anticipate Peril functions more like the Sign spell (also in SpC), and is thus worse.

I will have to ask about the Nerveskitter/ Anticipate Peril issue, but the "Wings of" spells are definitely worth looking into. I did not even know that Dragon Magic had Sorc only spells.

doko239
2012-05-24, 05:59 PM
Touch of Idiocy on a sneak attack can be funny.

Seeing as you're getting free Darkvision, Darkness is an obvious choice.

Spider Climb should be very valuable for you early on. Plus it's awesomely thematic.

Alter Self is another obvious choice.

Not a spell, but once you hit 10th level, consider picking up Arcane Blast from APG. Lets you blow a spell slot for a ranged touch attack, dealing (Spell level +2)d6 damage, untyped, no-SR, no save. Fantastic for ranged sneak attack :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Sands of Time (from Osirion: Land of Pharoahs) is another good spell; basically Touch of Idiocy, but for physical stats instead of mental. Can also be used to deal damage to undead, constructs, and objects.