PDA

View Full Version : Fallout Role-playing Game

EccentricOwl
2012-05-21, 09:08 PM
J.E. Sawyer's attempt at a pen and paper RPG is awful. It's okay.

There have been several attempts at making a Fallout RPG officially.

I want to work on one. I've got about 15 pages so far of mechanics. It uses the Eclipse Phase core rules.

I have a system in place for creating a location using Diaspora's cluster generation rules.

All of the above are open source. I don't have any licenses of course, but I want to make something I could release on RPGGeek.com or here on GiantITP and people would actually enjoy it.

I've got a buddy doing art... and lucky for me, I've got an entire library of copyright-free imagery from the 1940s that's begging to be used.

Is anyone interested? Also, how should I share what I have so far? Microsoft Publisher seems rather proprietary, as does my Adobe inDesign]\\\.

Hanuman
2012-05-22, 02:31 AM
Sorry but I just don't have the time!
Have you considered doing a ctankep rpg?

(stalker shadow of chernobyl)

The_listener
2012-05-23, 04:39 AM
I've Dm'd a Fallout based game and found the D20 Apocolypse rules work well :smallsmile:

ngilop
2012-05-23, 06:21 AM
here is a silly question.

have you tried using GURPS?, since you know that is what the in-game rules system fallout uses.

Kinsmarck
2012-05-24, 09:20 PM
I'm actually in the midst of building a Fallout D20 system myself. I've ganked quite a few mechanics, mostly environmental, from the old Star Wars D20 system. The Gunslinger class from Pathfinder is also a given inclusion. Non-divine Ranger, from Unearthed Arcana, also works well, provided a few revisions to weapon proficiencies (to include basic firearms, etc.) and modern class skills are made.

Madcrafter
2012-05-26, 01:47 PM
Funny, I had the idea of running a fallout campaign a few weeks ago, and asked a friend to work on some fluff for me. For sharing I was thinking of using Obsidian Portal (as was suggested by the world building forum). The idea would be to eventually set everything up so that others could run their own games as well (and evolve the world potentially).

There are also a few conversions for GURPS floating around, the most notable of which can be seen here (http://www.scribd.com/tectuctitlay/d/14646941-GURPS-Fallout-Conversion-30). From what I've seen of it, I think the system would work well to emulate the gritty feel of a good fallout story. (And since it is what fallout was originally based on)

Funinyourgame
2012-05-26, 08:32 PM
I actually played one, I friend of mine got the complete book about fallout 3 with "%" to hit in vast, limbs and every thing, You only need to get a complete guide and you're good to go.

BubbaBrown
2012-05-26, 10:32 PM
J.E. Sawyer's attempt at a pen and paper RPG is awful. It's okay.
Well to be fair, it was a conversion from a Computer RPG to Pen and Paper RPG. Taking a Tabletop RPG to the computer can be done mechanically well enough. Taking an RPG optimized and built on the computer to the tabletop isn't so easy. There's A LOT you can get away with on the computer when it comes to statistical calculations and metrics that fall flat on the tabletop.

Also, how should I share what I have so far? Microsoft Publisher seems rather proprietary, as does my Adobe inDesign]\\\.
I'd develop in Adobe InDesign. Microsoft Publisher is fine for small, single shot stuff you'd find in a small business, but you'll be doing yourself a favor to learn and get used to Adobe InDesign. Just dump out PDF snapshots of what you've got every version or so for the masses and maybe post the InDesign files for the dedicated.

Neek
2012-05-27, 08:12 AM
... wait? Wasn't the original Fallout based on GURPS? How weird that it was easy to take a system, convert it to a computer, but to take that rendition and port it back?

I've been using d20 Apocalypse for a campaign I'm building, noteably called "The Future Sucks." While it's Fallout inspired, I decided to pull away from it slightly to have a lot more creative control. I've implemented a few components from d20 Future and d20 Past, as well adopted the Injury variant from UA to help in driving the sense of mortality into my players' hearts.

When it comes to publication, I just export my documents from Word to PDF. Then again, it depends on how much you know about MS Office styles. If you know a lot, it works well enough, though a professional publication program for either Windows or Linux do a far better job at it. But if I had to publish the work on my campaign, I'd just do a straight Word dump. I'm too far into it to learn something new.

pcamp88
2012-05-27, 08:20 AM
... wait? Wasn't the original Fallout based on GURPS? How weird that it was easy to take a system, convert it to a computer, but to take that rendition and port it back.

It was originally going to use GURPS, but they lost the license before the game was finished so Tim Cain (the lead designer) came up with the SPECIAL system.

BubbaBrown
2012-05-27, 03:43 PM
... wait? Wasn't the original Fallout based on GURPS? How weird that it was easy to take a system, convert it to a computer, but to take that rendition and port it back?
As said. It was originally based on GURPS, but Steve Jackson Games hated the level of violence in the game and weren't going allow GURPS to be used unless it was toned down. So, GURPS was gutted from Fallout. SPECIAL was created and put in the game in under two weeks. In fact, Steve Jackson Games hated a bunch of stuff in Fallout. (Including the Vault Boy cartoons on Perks.) So, you can thank Steve Jackson Games for almost getting Fallout cancelled.

Video by Timothy Cain about Fallout's Development: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Xa5IzHhAdi4#t=2220s

Madcrafter
2012-05-27, 04:08 PM
As said. It was originally based on GURPS, but Steve Jackson Games hated the level of violence in the game and weren't going allow GURPS to be used unless it was toned down. So, GURPS was gutted from Fallout. SPECIAL was created and put in the game in under two weeks. In fact, Steve Jackson Games hated a bunch of stuff in Fallout. (Including the Vault Boy cartoons on Perks.) So, you can thank Steve Jackson Games for almost getting Fallout cancelled.

Ultimately, those are no more than rumours, and as I saw pointed out once, SJG has made more violent games than Fallout (though not video games). It has been said that even within the companies, most people do not know the true reasons (a general communications breakdown is another one I've seen).

EccentricOwl
2012-06-27, 12:47 AM
One month later, I've done SOME work but not A LOT. I'm going to publish what I have here and leave a promise that I'm going to continue.

Things that I need to finish include character creation (so, um, everything), making some NPCs, gear (which I'll probably gloss over) and .... okay, it's an early version. :P

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tl364dxurtsyfk/Fallout%20BRPS%20RPG%20draft%202.pdf