PDA

View Full Version : Warlocks and Vampires

TechnOkami
2012-05-21, 10:08 PM
My main question is: do the two classes hybridize well?

If not, then I'm probably going to go straight Warlock, and probably gonna split between Con and Cha. I honestly don't know if that's good or not, but frankly, I just want to build the most powerful damn Warlock I can. My race of choice is Dragonborn, possibly a Revenant version of one if it would work well.

Tegu8788
2012-05-21, 10:21 PM
Warlocks generally hybrid well, and the best vampire is the most watered down, so that combo could work, if you focused on charisma. However, that being said, the most powerful warlock won't touch the vampire class. If you really want a powerful hybrid warlock Swordmage and Paladin make good options. I've got a chart here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtNpg2ePSBVcdEw3T0hZV1ZzQ0ktcVRmZ0d4eFJQV 0E#gid=0)that shows some good hybrids, but again, the most powerful warlock, is the warlock. Consider a binder or hexblade power you can snag, but the original warlock has the best features of all three.

It's worth asking, what do you mean by "most powerful?" The warlock is a striker, but with very heavy controller leanings. Dragonborn has charisma and constitution that helps, and dragon breath I bet has some curse damage related feats.

TechnOkami
2012-05-21, 10:53 PM
To be honest, as powerful as I can make him. I'd rather do buckets of damage over control, but if a straight up Warlock is a great balance between the two sides of the warlock, then I'd shoot for that.

To put into a simplified view of what I mean by powerful... I effectively want to make Dracula, the Castlevania Dracula. I want to make him the biggest baddest most evil sonofa*censored* I can.

incandescent
2012-05-22, 12:54 AM
There's also the Vampirism feat to consider if you're just looking or the mechanical base of the vampire. I could see an infernal pact dragonborn warlock with con and cha focus being pretty cool to play with the vsmpirism feat. You'd basically laugh at damage with the infernal boon granting THP, selecting warlock powers thst grant THP, and gainimg charisma modifier regen when bloodied, with shadow walk and range to cover you wen you want to back out of the short range line.

The only feat that relates to dragonborn warlock's specifically is curse of Io's blood, which adds 1+str mod damage to your curse when bloodied. On the bucketloads of damage side of things for what you want, the most evil thing i can cobble together offhand is the familiar chassis of a paladin warlock hybrid that uses the crimson fire feat, has mindbite scorn (and the sorcerer king pact), curse of Io's blood, mighty challenge, and focuses on charisma and strength and uses the eyebite at will. When bloodied, you'll get something like 2d6+cha+Xd10 curse+str+1 and you become invisible to the target, who may trigger your challenge for cha+str+x radiant damage. Only bad thing is, this only works with warlock powers so your paladin side may feel kind of tangential aside from the challenge and those feats migjt e considered a bit cheesy by some (the sorc king pact ia from the dark sun setting where there's no divine presence in the setting so it might come off as cherry picking to some. A player ran a pallylock like this one once and i found it distateful.)

TechnOkami
2012-05-22, 01:02 AM
There's also the Vampirism feat to consider if you're just looking or the mechanical base of the vampire. I could see an infernal pact dragonborn warlock with con and cha focus being pretty cool to play with the vsmpirism feat. You'd basically laugh at damage with the infernal boon granting THP, selecting warlock powers thst grant THP, and gainimg charisma modifier regen when bloodied, with shadow walk and range to cover you wen you want to back out of the short range line.

That... sounds exactly what I am looking for. Excellent. :smallamused:

Sinon
2012-05-22, 11:43 PM
Small concern:

I don't think the vampirism multiclass gives regeneration.

TechnOkami
2012-05-22, 11:45 PM
That's alright, I'm playing something completely different now.

:smallsigh:

Sinon
2012-05-22, 11:49 PM
Actually I posted first, checked second, and I was wrong: you do get the Enduring Soul feature.

Treblain
2012-05-24, 08:33 PM
There are some good items and feats for dragonborn warlocks. The PP Ninefold Master is powerful, too. You can pull out some impressive tricks, like making your dragonbreath a warlock power and pseudo-mark a lot of enemies at once with Protective Hex, or make all your warlock spells be the same type as your dragonbreath (and then get your dragonbreath to deal 2 or 3 types of damage).

In general, dragonborn can stack up significant benefits while bloodied, and Con-locks are willing to get bloodied a lot since they can spend surges like a defender.