PDA

View Full Version : Lady of Pain Stats

Empedocles
2012-05-21, 11:28 PM
Ok...so apparently this has been done before but my friends and I were joking about it so I thought I'd post it here anyways.

The Lady of Pain

http://i.imgur.com/H9FbH.jpg

Infinite Everything [Awesome]
Hit Dice: More.
Initiative: Before everyone else.
Speed: As far as she wants, as fast as she wants.
Armor Class: You miss. If she lets you attack her.
Base Attack: Highest.
Attack: Hit and kill.
Full Attack: (Hit and kill) x More.
Space/Reach: Everywhere/Anywhere.
Special Attacks: I Win.
Special Qualities: You Lose.
Saves: Are you kidding?
Skills: All of them, with more ranks than you. Including Iaijutsu Focus.
Feats: All. Plus some she just made up.
Challenge Rating: 2.

I Win: The Lady of Pain can do anything, as whatever sort of action she wants, whenever she wants. This includes making up her own abilities.

You Lose: The Lady of Pain is immune to everything that could possibly hurt her unless she chooses not to be. It should be specified here that the Lady of Pain is completely immune to Arcane magic, Divine magic, and Psionics (and everything else, but those deserved special mention).

JoshuaZ
2012-05-21, 11:31 PM
Um, bad news. Apparently some religions worship their deities by statting them up.

Empedocles
2012-05-21, 11:32 PM
Um, bad news. Apparently some religions worship their deities by statting them up.

I actually know very little about the Lady of Pain :smalltongue: so I probably couldn't be considered...a member of her clergy! This was largely done by my friend, who got the idea online somewhere.

Agent 451
2012-05-21, 11:50 PM

Cute!Cute!Cute!

Empedocles
2012-05-21, 11:54 PM
Cute!Cute!Cute!

It seemed balanced...

SEE WHAT I DID THERE? :D

Rogue Shadows
2012-05-22, 12:19 AM
I remember one RP where I killed the Lady of Pain...I accomplished this by hurling a star at Sigil from outside of Sigil. Twice. From a starship that was a lightyear in diameter. As part of a plot to wipe out all realities.

I might have been Space and Time in that RP. Not "the deity of" Space and Time. I was Space and Time.

Empedocles
2012-05-22, 12:20 AM
Sorry. Space and time is CR 1 1/2. You don't stand a chance :smallfrown:

Rogue Shadows
2012-05-22, 12:21 AM
Sorry. Space and time is CR 1 1/2. You don't stand a chance :smallfrown:

"Don't stand a chance?" Vilpich, I'm not some republic serial villain. Do you really think I'd be explaing my master stroke if anyone had the slightest chance of affecting its outcome?

I did this six years ago.

http://idesigniphone.net/wallpapers/51696.png

Eldan
2012-05-22, 12:27 AM
I don't like the idea of statting hte Lady. Never have. Not even in this vague and actually rather unhelpful way.

Why? Because the Lady needs two things to fulfill her setting function. Power and Mystery. THis gives her power, and eliminates most mystery.

Is the Lady fast? Whenever we see her, she hovers slowly, yet she is always in the right place when she needs to. Does she have high initiative? Who knows. People sometimes start to run away before she kills them, so maybe not. Does she have high AC? Could be, could be not. After all, when was the last time someone actually tried to throw rocks at her in the fluff? Does she have skills? Who knows. No one ever saw her climb, or ride, or craft underwater baskets. She most certainly does not have reach everywhere, or she would not need to physically move to people she wanted to kill, and people outside of Sigil would not be safe from her.

And the Lady has weaknesses. Some adventures actually entirely revolve around that fact. She needs those weaknesses, too, and there are endless fan theories on them. Why does she kill worshippers? One fan theory is that she fears worship. Why does she bar the gods from Sigil? Maybe they are a threat to her, in some way. Why does she care about the spiritual balance of the city, killing factions that become to balance? Maybe to stop Sigil itself from slipping? Why has she never spoken?

And so on. To make it short: these stats diminish the Lady as a character.

Rogue Shadows
2012-05-22, 12:29 AM
[...]

Oooh boy, let's hope a certain evil alternate version of me doesn't find his way into this thread...

Empedocles
2012-05-22, 12:38 AM
I don't like the idea of statting hte Lady. Never have. Not even in this vague and actually rather unhelpful way.

Why? Because the Lady needs two things to fulfill her setting function. Power and Mystery. THis gives her power, and eliminates most mystery.

Is the Lady fast? Whenever we see her, she hovers slowly, yet she is always in the right place when she needs to. Does she have high initiative? Who knows. People sometimes start to run away before she kills them, so maybe not. Does she have high AC? Could be, could be not. After all, when was the last time someone actually tried to throw rocks at her in the fluff? Does she have skills? Who knows. No one ever saw her climb, or ride, or craft underwater baskets. She most certainly does not have reach everywhere, or she would not need to physically move to people she wanted to kill, and people outside of Sigil would not be safe from her.

And the Lady has weaknesses. Some adventures actually entirely revolve around that fact. She needs those weaknesses, too, and there are endless fan theories on them. Why does she kill worshippers? One fan theory is that she fears worship. Why does she bar the gods from Sigil? Maybe they are a threat to her, in some way. Why does she care about the spiritual balance of the city, killing factions that become to balance? Maybe to stop Sigil itself from slipping? Why has she never spoken?

And so on. To make it short: these stats diminish the Lady as a character.

Hmmm.

Perhaps...maybe...possibly...there's a small chance...a slim one...that you're taking this entirely too seriously.

:smallannoyed:

I'm sorry my stats diminish your goddess. And that they're unhelpful. I honestly thought a monster with HD "more" would contribute meaningfully to campaigns around the world.

Eldan
2012-05-22, 01:18 AM
Sorry if that sounded ranty and offended. I wasnn't, the sentences just got away with me a bit.

The general idea is just that I don't think the Lady of Pain should be made more powerful than she has to be.

And, well. This sort of "+infinite to all stats" thing comes up every now and a gain, and after a while, it does get a bit annoying.

Edit: And the Lady certainly isn't my godess. I don't even see her as all that interesting. There are very few stories that can be built involving her, she is just a tool to ensure that the setting takes the desired form. She is a bit like the sun. You need one to keep a planet warm, but you will rarely directly interact with it, other than getting a sunburn.

Andion Isurand
2012-05-22, 01:31 AM
I would look at the Dicefreaks forum when considering how to make good on this idea.

http://dicefreaks.superforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5

Killer Angel
2012-05-22, 02:04 AM
I would look at the Dicefreaks forum when considering how to make good on this idea.

http://dicefreaks.superforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5

That's awful. They're giving real stats to a being that don't (and shouldn't) need them at all.

crazyhedgewizrd
2012-05-22, 02:14 AM
there is a 2nd ED module, where Vecna took the powers of a greater god, defeated the lady of pain and proceded to alter reality to his liking.

Gnorman
2012-05-22, 02:24 AM
1d6 adventurers per round.

Rogue Shadows
2012-05-22, 02:32 AM
That's awful. They're giving real stats to a being that don't (and shouldn't) need them at all.

Some people prefer to have stats, or do it for fun without ever expecting to actually use the stats. I personally have stats for Absimiliard and Arikel (the Nosferatu and Toreador antediluvians, respectively), from Vampire: The Masquerade, on my computer that I cooked up once, but I never expect to ever actually use them. Sometimes it's nice to be able to say "this is why you lose" rather than just "you lose" to your players.

Similarly, I like the stats for deities in Deities & Demigods even though in my campaigns gods don't have ability scores so much as Str :smallfurious:, Dex :smalltongue:, Con :smallcool:, Int :smallamused:, Wis :smallredface:, Cha :smallannoyed:.

Morph Bark
2012-05-22, 02:51 AM
Judging by the picture, she uses the By the Book (http://bythebook.smackjeeves.com/comics/1153963/start/) rules of Charisma.

Killer Angel
2012-05-22, 03:50 AM
Some people prefer to have stats, or do it for fun without ever expecting to actually use the stats. (snip)

I can understand that, and I can even understand statting beings as Asmodeus. But the LoP is just... mistery. It's a plot device. You can certainly set a story in which you can affect her, but not directly.

You know the drill: if it has stats, it can be killed (in combat)

Eldan
2012-05-22, 04:02 AM
Judging by the picture, she uses the By the Book (http://bythebook.smackjeeves.com/comics/1153963/start/) rules of Charisma.

Eh. That picture, IIRC, is from before Planescape and portrazs her quite a bit differently. My favourite is this:

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll200/Missghostly/planescape%20torment%20original%20album%20art/ladyfloat.jpg

or these, just for coolness:
http://fyrielart.blogspot.com.au/2009/08/lady-of-pain.html

Eldan
2012-05-22, 04:04 AM

Eh. That picture, IIRC, is from before Planescape and portrazs her quite a bit differently. My favourite is this:

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll200/Missghostly/planescape%20torment%20original%20album%20art/ladyfloat.jpg

or these, just for coolness:
http://fyrielart.blogspot.com.au/2009/08/lady-of-pain.html

Tenebris
2012-05-22, 04:42 AM
Some people prefer to have stats, or do it for fun without ever expecting to actually use the stats. I personally have stats for Absimiliard and Arikel (the Nosferatu and Toreador antediluvians, respectively), from Vampire: The Masquerade, on my computer that I cooked up once, but I never expect to ever actually use them. Sometimes it's nice to be able to say "this is why you lose" rather than just "you lose" to your players.

Similarly, I like the stats for deities in Deities & Demigods even though in my campaigns gods don't have ability scores so much as Str :smallfurious:, Dex :smalltongue:, Con :smallcool:, Int :smallamused:, Wis :smallredface:, Cha :smallannoyed:.
Stats are good for NPCs, not plot devices.

Some campaigns may resolve around killing deities, even overdeities if you wish so. Some players may intend to assassinate them "just because". Finally, deities may just appear briefly in the game, or may not, either way it is better to stat them just in case.

Stating "The One that shall never be mentioned without a good reason" is as much pointless as stating Dungeon Master himself. Probably no one will ever allow such a fight, because even the most powerful foe can be beaten. Then there is nothing left for the unfortunate DM but leaving the room without saying a word.

dsmiles
2012-05-22, 05:00 AM

Which is exactly why I won't stat the deities I use. Deities are nothing more than plot devices, if they're even ever used. More or less, they're just some words on a character sheet.

Morph Bark
2012-05-22, 06:01 AM

That's a good one too. Myself, I prefer one where her face looks like a mask and her eyes are all white. Dunno where to find it anymore though.

Zombimode
2012-05-22, 06:15 AM
That's a good one too. Myself, I prefer one where her face looks like a mask and her eyes are all white. Dunno where to find it anymore though.

You mean something like this (http://dungeonblarg.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/lady.jpg)?

supermonkeyjoe
2012-05-22, 07:17 AM
I think the feats section should be amended to "All, except obtain familiar"

You don't want to make her too overpowered!

Knight13
2012-05-22, 08:46 AM
there is a 2nd ED module, where Vecna took the powers of a greater god, defeated the lady of pain and proceded to alter reality to his liking.
*blink*

Doesn't that go against pretty much all the fluff about the Lady? She easily curbstomps any gods that enter Sigil, including greater ones. According to everything I've seen, she should have snapped Vecna in half the second he tried it.

Killer Angel
2012-05-22, 08:53 AM

*blink*

Doesn't that go against pretty much all the fluff about the Lady? She easily curbstomps any gods that enter Sigil, including greater ones. According to everything I've seen, she should have snapped Vecna in half the second he tried it.

I believe he's refering to "Die Vecna Die". It was the attempt which came closest to success, but it still ended as a failure.

Urpriest
2012-05-22, 09:09 AM
*blink*

Remember, Vecna's got fluff connections to things above the gods, in particular whatever the hell the Serpent is. I'm not all that familiar with the Die Vecna Die modules, but I would imagine that sort of thing was involved.

Steward
2012-05-22, 09:15 AM
I really like the idea of comparing the Lady of Pain to the Sun though. I mean, you wouldn't stat the Sun, right? (Well, outside of a silly, humorous way like in this thread). No one knows or cares if the Sun has 8 ranks in Climb or Ability Focus (Inflict Heatstroke).

Amiel
2012-05-22, 09:16 AM
*blink*

Well, she's all about mystery, inscrutability and intangibility; what she is capable of, you can't really quite put a finger on it.

But that is indeed one of the reasons why Die, Vecna, Die is one of the most divisive and reviled supplements.

The first picture has a human aspect to it;
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/329/4/d/lady_of_pain_by_dominuself-d4h8qjv.jpg

This picture looks more inscrutable;
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs9/f/2011/035/b/1/b1ee811a53591660c853929f83a92a69-dg9j6u.jpg

Rogue Shadows
2012-05-22, 09:36 AM

But in some campaigns, the Lady of Pain is going to be just that, an NPC rather than a plot device.

(QUALIFIER: I have no problem with the fact that she does not have official stats and I understand and appreciate the reason why. I just also understand and appreciate that in some campaigns, some DMs are going to want to actually stat her out for their own reasons. Finally, I understand and appreciate that the stats listed in the OP are essentially meaningless and just a joke.

I really like the idea of comparing the Lady of Pain to the Sun though. I mean, you wouldn't stat the Sun, right? (Well, outside of a silly, humorous way like in this thread). No one knows or cares if the Sun has 8 ranks in Climb or Ability Focus (Inflict Heatstroke).

I statted out a sun.

Well...

...specifically I statted out a star that had just had a billion Pureblood Heartless fly into it and corrupt it, turning it into a Heartless called Negative Sun. which proceeded to use the dyson ring surrounding it as a weapon to attack a fleet of spelljammers sent from Disney Castle.

Specifically, this sun was the sun of the Windsor system, the capital system of the Etherium Empire, which was the Treasure Planet "world" (actually an entire distinct universe).

The players had just gotten their own spelljammer, and proceeded to fight Negative Sun. Negative Sun had 10,000 HP (and an AC of 0), but took large damage when shot in the eyes. Every 1,000 damage to an eye caused it to open up its mouth and shoot its core for massive (x5) damage.

Also, every turn it would release 4 Heartless fighters to attack the party's spelljammer, and every 1d4 turns it could exhale a Black Flare to inflict damage to the spelljammer directly.

It's worth noting that Negative Sun was the first boss of the campaign and everybody was level 4.

On beaing defeated, the billion Heartless were expelled from Windsor. Most were destroyed, but a large portion descended upon the hero's Spelljammer and opened a Dark Corridor, trying to drag them into End of the World, the Heartless' world in the plane of light (the majority of the multiverse). The PCs managed to stop them, though, and instead ended up in the Sea of Outer Space, the entirety of the Multiverse now open to them.

The entire battle and campaign that had preceeded and followed had been inspired by this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XstrpkqT6dw).

No, it's entirely allowed to stat out a sun, as long as the reasons for doing so are awesome.

shadow_archmagi
2012-05-22, 09:41 AM
The entire battle and campaign that had preceeded and followed had been inspired by this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XstrpkqT6dw).

Man, part of me was really hoping you were going to be talking about this song (www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUEo4jeP90c)

Stabbald
2012-05-22, 10:14 AM
<snip>

And yet I get the feeling it would have made for a better game had it been handled narratively. I don't understand the constant obsession with stating out things that obviously should not be stated.

If you are actually playing a game in which you are a threat to the Lady or Ao then I'm of the opinion it's far less of a game and more of an exercise in wish fulfillment.

Rogue Shadows
2012-05-22, 10:28 AM
If you are actually playing a game in which you are a threat to the Lady or Ao then I'm of the opinion it's far less of a game and more of an exercise in wish fulfillment.

See, the same can be said about any game wherein you fight even lesser deities. Besides which, sometimes events are happening even above the player's heads.

Don't forget that, canonically, even Ao has a boss, and it's not beyond the realm of possibility that that boss might be pissed at Ao for allowing the Spellplague to happen or inflicting the Time of Troubles on Faerun and so laying Ao low, reducing him in power, maybe even going full ToT on him.

(This was in the last chapter of The Trial of Cyric the Mad or whatever that book was, BTW. Basically Ao's boss just shows up to ask Ao "and how are things doing in your crystal sphere, Ao?" and Ao's responce is something to the effect of "everything's going just fine, Master."*)

That sounds like a neat campaign idea, actually. Ao wandering the land as a mere mortal in punishment. With half the pantheon trying to murderize him for screwing them over during the ToT.

(And a similar thing could easily be applied to the Lady of Pain).

---------------------------
*"Really."

"Totally, Master."

"'Cause I heard something about you turning all the gods except Helm into mortals and basically causing chaos across Faerun as a result."

"Er...well, they were capricious and uncaring about the consequences of their actions to their mortal worshippers, Master."

"I see."

"Yes."

"Ao, how is reducing them to mere mortals and causing chaos across Faerun a good thing?"

"It...well, it taught them a lesson, Master."

"Ao, you could have easily done that without causing the deaths of thousands of mortals."

"W-well, maybe, Master, but - "

"Sounds to me like someone is capricious and uncaring about the effects this Time of Troubles has inflicted upon the mortals of Faerun."

"But - "

"You're a 1st-level Commoner for a year and a day now, Ao."

"Stacy, what - what - are you doing?"

"Flaying someone."

"Stacy. Why are you flaying someone?"

"Because they were worshipping me."

"...and?"

"...well, that's it."

"...Stace. You can't just kill people for that."

"But you said I was the ruler of Sigil! That I could do whatever I wanted!"

"No, no. I really kind of said the opposite of that, actually, Stacy."

"I'm not Stacy! I am the Lady of Pain!"

"Who is a 1st-level Commoner. Have fun with that."

----------------
"Bob."

"Master."

"How's Krynn?"

"Pretty dull."

"Good to hear, good to hear...so I turned Ao and Stacy into 1st level Commoners recently."

"Ha! They had it coming."

Mystral
2012-05-22, 11:03 AM
Whatever floats your boat is fair game. If you have fun beating up a star as a boss, or you want to stat out the lady of pain, or you want to play Bob and his 3 other commoner friends and their adventure off crossing a forest to the next city, go for it.

Rogue Shadows
2012-05-22, 11:08 AM
Whatever floats your boat is fair game. If you have fun beating up a star as a boss, or you want to stat out the lady of pain, or you want to play Bob and his 3 other commoner friends and their adventure off crossing a forest to the next city, go for it.

Personally I don't (the last 3, anyway). I'm just saying that it's entirely possible to construct a meaningful story wherein the Lady of Pain or Ao or whoever are interactable (and potentially killable) NPCs without it necessarily being just wish fulfilling power-fantasy.

The star, though, the star was awesome. That entire campaign was awesome. Kingdom Hearts meets Spelljammer? I'll take two.

dsmiles
2012-05-22, 11:23 AM
If you are actually playing a game in which you are a threat to the Lady or Ao then I'm of the opinion it's far less of a game and more of an exercise in wish fulfillment. No, it's still a game. It's called Exalted.

NichG
2012-05-22, 11:24 AM
So I generally agree 'don't stat' with a caveat. I think the proper way to handle things that are supposed to be plot devices but could possibly be NPCs is Schroedinger's Stats. Basically, they have no stats until the point where they turn from plot devices into NPCs. Their stats then provide an explanation for how they've been able to do everything they've been seen to do.

Siosilvar
2012-05-22, 11:25 AM

Surely you meant to put
Attack: 1d6 investigators per round.

Zubrowka74
2012-05-22, 12:21 PM
"Really."

"Totally, Master."

"'Cause I heard something about you turning all the gods except Helm into mortals and basically causing chaos across Faerun as a result."

"Er...well, they were capricious and uncaring about the consequences of their actions to their mortal worshippers, Master."

"I see."

"Yes."

"Ao, how is reducing them to mere mortals and causing chaos across Faerun a good thing?"

"Ao, you could have easily done that without causing the deaths of thousands of mortals."

"Sounds to me like someone is capricious and uncaring about the effects this Time of Troubles has inflicted upon the mortals of Faerun."

"But - "

"Flaying someone."

"...and?"

"...well, that's it."

----------------
"Bob."

"Master."

"How's Krynn?"

"Pretty dull."

"Good to hear, good to hear...so I turned Ao and Stacy into 1st level Commoners recently."

This is hilarious.

Morph Bark
2012-05-22, 02:40 PM
That sounds like a neat campaign idea, actually. Ao wandering the land as a mere mortal in punishment. With half the pantheon trying to murderize him for screwing them over during the ToT.

(And a similar thing could easily be applied to the Lady of Pain).

*"Really."

"Totally, Master."

"I see."

"Yes."

"But - "

"Flaying someone."

"...and?"

"...well, that's it."

----------------
"Bob."

"Master."

"How's Krynn?"

"Pretty dull."

Sounds like a great campaign intro. :smallbiggrin:

We could nab one of the most powerful beings from each campaign setting for this. Ao for Forgotten Realms, "Stacy" for Planescape... which ones fit for Dark Sun, Eberron, Dragonlance and Spelljammer?

Btw, would you mind if I nab that little intro of yours for either a possible campaign or a Commoner handbook?

NichG
2012-05-22, 03:19 PM
Considering that the Lady of Pain was sort of a reference to someone on staff who was running TSR with an iron gauntlet, the statblock should be far more meta anyhow. 'Cancel product line: This race and/or class ceases to exist in the multiverse'. Etc.

Rogue Shadows
2012-05-22, 03:21 PM
Btw, would you mind if I nab that little intro of yours for either a possible campaign or a Commoner handbook?

Go right ahead.

Larkas
2012-05-22, 03:48 PM
Sounds like a great campaign intro. :smallbiggrin:

We could nab one of the most powerful beings from each campaign setting for this. Ao for Forgotten Realms, "Stacy" for Planescape... which ones fit for Dark Sun, Eberron, Dragonlance and Spelljammer?

I don't know who could be used from those settings (and if I had to bet, I'd say there is none for Spelljammer), but it would be hilarious to see this happen to Vecna.

"I WILL KILL THAT MAN, RAISE HIM AND MAKE HIM SERVE ME FOR ALL ETERNITY!!!"

"Shut up and keep plowing, dude."

Morph Bark
2012-05-22, 04:05 PM
Go right ahead.

Thanks. :smallbiggrin:

I don't know who could be used from those settings (and if I had to bet, I'd say there is none for Spelljammer), but it would be hilarious to see this happen to Vecna.

"I WILL KILL THAT MAN, RAISE HIM AND MAKE HIM SERVE ME FOR ALL ETERNITY!!!"

"Shut up and keep plowing, dude."

Indeed, hilarious. Even better if he works on the same dirt farm as Stacy, since he's tried to kill her before in the adventure Die, Vecna, Die!.

Vecna could certainly work for Greyhawk.

Eldan
2012-05-22, 05:11 PM
Die, Vecna, Die is... eeeeeh.

On the one hand: we don't know if the Lady can curbstomp the gods. One of the gods annoyed her, and he is now dead. Probably because she killed him, along with a few city blocks around him, but no one saw it happen. All other gods can't enter Sigil since then, probably because she keeps them out.

On the other hand: that adventure broke pretty much every setting. Vecna going into Sigil against the Lady's will was just a small part of it. He also broke out of Ravenloft by becoming too powerful for Ravenloft to contain him.

Rogue Shadows
2012-05-22, 05:17 PM
Die, Vecna, Die is... eeeeeh.

I'm given to understand that DVD was supposed to serve as basically a campaign-ender for GMs, as a way to explain the change of D&D editions from 2nd Edition to 3rd Edition in-universe.

Didn't the Time of Troubles serve basically the same role for 1st to 2nd Edition?

I don't know who could be used from those settings (and if I had to bet, I'd say there is none for Spelljammer).

'Course there is. There's the Spelljammer itself. Who upon being trapped as a 1st level human commoner, is now basically like Idris/TARDIS from Doctor Who.

As for Dragonlance, that last bit there, Bob, was implied to be the Highgod of Dragonlance. For fun, Azathoth and Yog-Sothoth should also be forced to be commoners by Ao's boss. Who personally, I have always assumed was the Dungeon Master.

-------

"Are all people like this?" Spelljammer asked.

Vecna sighed. "Like what?"

"Bigger on the inside."

"Mortals are not bigger on the inside. They are smaller. But I! I WAS A GOD!"

"Ao and Stacey keep telling me that nobody cares. Nobody likes you very much, Vecna. Should I not be liking you?"

What annoyed Vecna most was the fact that Spelljammer didn't even have the decency to be sarcastic or snide. It was an honest question on her part.

"Ooh! Look at these! These things! Fingers! See how they wiggle! I like fingers."

At least Spelljammer was an idiot.

Larkas
2012-05-22, 05:32 PM
Poor ship/god/commoner... To be sure, though, I laughed a lot at this :smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2012-05-22, 05:36 PM
I smell wacky sitcom adventures...

Rubik
2012-05-22, 05:38 PM
Oh god. Rogue Shadows, you're making me laugh SO. HARD.

[edit]
I smell wacky sitcom adventures...Who wants to team up with RS and make a webcomic?

Rogue Shadows
2012-05-22, 05:44 PM
Oh god. Rogue Shadows, you're making me laugh SO. HARD.

[edit]Who wants to team up with RS and make a webcomic?

Can't, I'm otherwise engaged with another ongoing fictional project of the equine variety. But feel free to use anything in this thread.

Side note, did you know that Aristotle was a brony? One of the 48 Constellations he identified is "Equuleus" - the little pony.

Hoof-bump!

Morph Bark
2012-05-22, 05:44 PM
I smell wacky sitcom adventures...

At the end of Season 2, Spelljammer will have returned to her ship form. From Season 3 onwards, it will be like a more humourous version of Farscape, with its living ship. IN SPACE. Some will claim this is the point the series jumped the shark, while others will cling to it and embrace the change as the show still keeps its basic feel afterwards. The Season 3 finale will revolve around Vecna's "death", which by Season 5 becomes a running gag in an "oh my god, they killed Vecna!" sort of way. Stacey will eventually be reunited with her human mother, who turns out to be responsible for starting most of the half-thingies. In the meantime, Ao struggles with his academic studies and is the token nerd of the group.

By season 6, they'll fight crime.

[edit]Who wants to team up with RS and make a webcomic?

I actually used to write for a webcomic, but I quit after we had to change artists and the second one was always very late. Would actually be fun to pick things up again.

Rubik
2012-05-22, 06:01 PM
Can't, I'm otherwise engaged with another ongoing fictional project of the equine variety. But feel free to use anything in this thread.

Side note, did you know that Aristotle was a brony? One of the 48 Constellations he identified is "Equuleus" - the little pony.

Hoof-bump!
What, like this? (http://friendshipisdragons.thecomicseries.com/)

Rogue Shadows
2012-05-22, 06:09 PM
What, like this? (http://friendshipisdragons.thecomicseries.com/)

No, like this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Fanfic/RainbowDoubleDashsLunaverse).

I'm RainbowDoubleDash. And you have no idea how jazzed I was when I was browsing TVTropes one day and saw that I had a fan who had made a TVTropes page for me.

I mean, even saying I have a fan is typically enough to get me jazzed. The result of the appended material was that I spent the rest of the day listening to Katrina & the Waves' "I'm Walking on Sunshine" on a continuous loop.

Zaq
2012-05-22, 06:10 PM
Considering that the Lady of Pain was sort of a reference to someone on staff who was running TSR with an iron gauntlet, the statblock should be far more meta anyhow. 'Cancel product line: This race and/or class ceases to exist in the multiverse'. Etc.

Wait, really? That sounds like some fine reading if you have a source for that. Do you have a link to an interview or something where they said that?

Rogue Shadows
2012-05-22, 06:17 PM
Wait, really? That sounds like some fine reading if you have a source for that. Do you have a link to an interview or something where they said that?

An inscrutable lady who hovers around like she owns the place and flays anyone alive if she doesn't like them, they try to make her happy, or really, just 'cause?

...no, that actually sounds like a pretty obvious reference to Lorrain Williams.

Rubik
2012-05-22, 06:18 PM
No, like this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Fanfic/RainbowDoubleDashsLunaverse).

I'm RainbowDoubleDash. And you have no idea how jazzed I was when I was browsing TVTropes one day and saw that I had a fan who had made a TVTropes page for me.

I mean, even saying I have a fan is typically enough to get me jazzed. The result of the appended material was that I spent the rest of the day listening to Katrina & the Waves' "I'm Walking on Sunshine" on a continuous loop.Yeah, having fans is awesome. I don't have a TVTropes page, though. So :smallfrown:

NichG
2012-05-22, 09:29 PM
Yeah, its a reference to Lorraine Williams. Here's a site that talks about it a bit:

http://rpgpundit.xanga.com/459518178/item/

Its been suggested pretty widely from what I can tell, but I don't have anything authoritative that says 'yes, this is what we meant'. The more canonical source is a Swinburne poem that refers to Dolores, Our Lady of Pain.

Zubrowka74
2012-05-23, 08:31 AM
Isn't the Lady of Pain based on a poem by Swineburn ? Dolores (Notre-Dame des Sept Douleurs)

EDIT : Swordsaged! This might be my first time.

Rubik
2012-05-23, 10:15 AM

I mean, even saying I have a fan is typically enough to get me jazzed. The result of the appended material was that I spent the rest of the day listening to Katrina & the Waves' "I'm Walking on Sunshine" on a continuous loop.I've been reading your stuff.

I think I just found another favorite author (in such august company as Eliezer Yudkowsky and Terry Pratchett). Very much <3.

Max Caysey
2014-01-19, 07:17 PM
Isnt she only omnipotent in her own realm? I mean AO can manipulate realmsapce as he sees fit. And if all the forgotten realms gods attacked him they would not be ably to hurt him. And in some sources he is the creator of the multivers. So Against the lady of pain on neutral ground I think that she would be matched indeed.

CombatOwl
2014-01-19, 07:18 PM
I actually know very little about the Lady of Pain :smalltongue: so I probably couldn't be considered...a member of her clergy! This was largely done by my friend, who got the idea online somewhere.

She is a character that is intentionally--as a setting design element--left mysterious and unstatted.

Duke of Urrel
2014-01-19, 11:07 PM
I believe the Lady of Pain should be an absolute master of Diplomacy who has engineered a multilateral treaty with all the major gods of the multiverse, which is why her domain is neutral ground. The gods who accepted the treaty have also granted her the power to enforce it. Her power therefore isn't her own; it's sustained by the fear that gods of opposite alignment have of each other, and of what might happen if the treaty were ever broken.

The most amazing thing about the Lady of Pain, to me, is that she seems to have no temptation to abuse her power whatsoever. She seems to represent unshakable indifference and absolute impartiality. Perhaps if she ever took a side in the cosmic conflict between the gods, the entire multiverse would be thrown out of balance and destroy itself, and perhaps she herself knows this and fears the consequences.

Xar Zarath
2014-01-20, 12:06 AM
Infinite Everything [Awesome]
Hit Dice: More.
Initiative: Before everyone else.
Speed: As far as she wants, as fast as she wants.
Armor Class: You miss. If she lets you attack her.
Base Attack: Highest.
Full Attack: (Hit and kill) x More.
Space/Reach: Everywhere/Anywhere.
Special Attacks: I Win.
Special Qualities: You Lose.
Saves: Are you kidding?
Skills: All of them, with more ranks than you. Including Iaijutsu Focus.
Feats: All. Plus some she just made up.

I Win: The Lady of Pain can do anything, as whatever sort of action she wants, whenever she wants. This includes making up her own abilities.

You Lose: The Lady of Pain is immune to everything that could possibly hurt her unless she chooses not to be. It should be specified here that the Lady of Pain is completely immune to Arcane magic, Divine magic, and Psionics (and everything else, but those deserved special mention).

The Lady might just maze you for this...good job though:smallbiggrin: