PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way for a non-evil person other than Hellbred to safely use Vecna stuff?

danzibr
2012-05-22, 09:36 AM
The title says it all. Even then, does being Hellbred cut it?

In particular, I'm thinking of putting these bad boys near the end of a campaign, but I'm not allowing evil players. The party may want to destroy them, but I'd be fine if someone can use it if they can somehow get around the evil business.

erikun
2012-05-22, 09:45 AM
From what I recall, the Hand/Eye of Vecna tends to corrupt the user, so I wouldn't say that being evil is a way to use them "safely".

I've fairly sure that the Head of Vecna (http://www.blindpanic.com/humor/vecna.htm) is comparatively "safe" to use, though. :smalltongue:

danzibr
2012-05-22, 09:59 AM
From what I recall, the Hand/Eye of Vecna tends to corrupt the user, so I wouldn't say that being evil is a way to use them "safely".

I've fairly sure that the Head of Vecna (http://www.blindpanic.com/humor/vecna.htm) is comparatively "safe" to use, though. :smalltongue:
Ahh lol... I love that story. I've been so tempted to pull that on one of my parties.

Alleine
2012-05-22, 01:51 PM
Hmm, anyone with a UMD score of 29+ can automatically make a check to emulate an evil alignment. Easier for warlocks, but anyone with a sufficient charisma and skill investment could do it too.

Slipperychicken
2012-05-22, 02:41 PM
Hmm, anyone with a UMD score of 29+ can automatically make a check to emulate an evil alignment. Easier for warlocks, but anyone with a sufficient charisma and skill investment could do it too.

This is one of the best things about UMD, and why it's one of the best skills in the game. You can hijack artifacts, break command words, override requirements, emulate alignments, and there's almost no way to protect against it. It's basically the magical equivalent to hacking.

Invader
2012-05-22, 05:31 PM
Use the item and when it corrupts you, use a HoOA to change back to a good alignment. Of course it would only work if you assumed that being corrupted was a one time thing and didn't occur over time.

olthar
2012-05-22, 05:45 PM
Like all 1e artifacts, the Vecna stuff was originally sentient, so it would force the user to start doing evil stuff. Anyone could put it on and get the powers, as long as they could fight the crazy high willpower of the artifact to stop being taken over and do the will of the artifact.

So, yes, anyone should be able to use the artifacts at the giant risk of their soul.