PDA

View Full Version : Erfworld style games?

shadow_archmagi
2012-05-22, 11:59 AM
So, the comic Erfworld revolves around a game that appears to be equal parts RPG and turn-based strategy. It's also designed to allow for long, long campaigns that can last many months.

Does anyone know of a real-world analogue?

JMobius
2012-05-22, 12:15 PM
Closest thing I know of is the Age of Wonders series, really.

Smight
2012-05-22, 12:39 PM
Closest thing i found was Dominions 3,
in one game I even had sorceres named Vanda spawn, with death magic :smallbiggrin:

Cespenar
2012-05-22, 12:41 PM
-Warlords (I played only 3, myself)
-Master of Magic
-Age of Wonders
-Heroes of Might and Magic
-King's Bounty
-Disciples
-Lords of Magic
-Battle for Wesnoth

Off the top of my head. Some might not last "months" per se, but most are in more or less in the same category.

Also, needless to add, it's one of my favorite genres, if not the favorite.

Deth Muncher
2012-05-22, 01:00 PM
Rob's been talking about teaming up with some guys to make an Erfworld game, so hopefully in the next year or so you'll have it! :D

Silva Stormrage
2012-05-22, 01:13 PM
Someone made a rule system for an erfworld style game. It is not a computer game though and takes a LOT of book keeping to actually run.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6CKjNNVk0lwOGE3MDI2MjgtM2ZlYy00NzJiLTg1ZDMtZjc4N DUwYTE5YTNk/edit

Shovah
2012-05-22, 02:34 PM
If I'm remembering right, the guy behind Warbarons (http://www.warbarons.com/account.php) is the one Rob was talking to about an Erfworld game, so you might want to take a look at that. There wasn't too much complexity in the system so I lost interest, but it was quite fun while I played.

The other two I would recommend have already been mentioned in this thread, but Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic (the one that gave me the feel closest to what I was looking for) and Dominions 3 (the game I've enjoyed most that could be considered somewhat similar) are both strong contenders in my opinion.

Deth Muncher
2012-05-22, 03:22 PM
If I'm remembering right, the guy behind Warbarons (http://www.warbarons.com/account.php) is the one Rob was talking to about an Erfworld game, so you might want to take a look at that. There wasn't too much complexity in the system so I lost interest, but it was quite fun while I played.

The other two I would recommend have already been mentioned in this thread, but Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic (the one that gave me the feel closest to what I was looking for) and Dominions 3 (the game I've enjoyed most that could be considered somewhat similar) are both strong contenders in my opinion.

Correcto. I just didn't want to mention the name if he hadn't said it publicly. :P

J.Gellert
2012-05-22, 03:32 PM
Erfworld's battles seem to be real-time, so the King Arthur Roleplaying Wargame would fit (equal mix RPG and strategy, turn-based strategy, real-time tactics).

shadow_archmagi
2012-05-22, 03:36 PM
Someone made a rule system for an erfworld style game. It is not a computer game though and takes a LOT of book keeping to actually run.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6CKjNNVk0lwOGE3MDI2MjgtM2ZlYy00NzJiLTg1ZDMtZjc4N DUwYTE5YTNk/edit

I realize I didn't specify, but I'd prefer an actual board game that'd be played at a table.

Deth Muncher
2012-05-22, 03:45 PM
I realize I didn't specify, but I'd prefer an actual board game that'd be played at a table.

If you want to go right to the source, you could play Settlers of Cattan with the Barbarian expansion. While not exactly at all what you're looking for, Rob likes playing it a lot. :smalltongue:

Actually, it's not EXACTLY not at all what you're looking for. The barbarian expansion makes Cattan slightly more like Risk, in that it adds in invaders that come in on the coasts, and the players can band together to get rid of them in order to make sure that their resources keep producing. The barbarians are then either used as Victory Points, or occasionally turn into gold pieces, which can be used to improve your settlements.

GloatingSwine
2012-05-22, 04:48 PM
You might want to look into Warlock: Master of the Arcane.

It's largely a fantasy and wizards skin onto Civ 5, with a reasonably heavy focus on combat and unit strategy/tactics, but it ticks most of the turn based boxes without the hilariously broken cheese of Master of Magic.

Also it's cheap on Steam.