PDA

View Full Version : Scrying Interpretations(Share yours)

Gamer Girl
2012-05-22, 05:27 PM
So with three divners (and the sinister Diviners Syndicate) one of my games has had a lot of scrying going on. And this has brought about lots of discussions on how the spell works. The description in the book is anything but clear, and leaves things open for lots and lots of interpretations. So I'm wondering how everyone else does it. So share your interpretations.

1.If you meet someone in disguise does that have any effect on later scryings? If you 'meet' someone and they are in a huge cloak, gloves and a mask does it matter? Does scrying automatically see through any disguise? If you don't get a 'good' look at the person you want to scry on, does it al least bump the attempt to scry down to ''secondhand knowledge''?

2.If you meet person A, who is disguised as person B, then who do you scry on when you later cast the spell? Would you see person A who is no long in the disguise? Our would see person B, who looks just like the image of the person you want to scry on in your mind?

3.How 'far' can the scrying spell see through a disguise. If you meet a druid wildshaped into a fox, when you later scry on her do you automatically home in on her as a human, although you never saw her in that shape. Does a scry spell just know automatically how to home in on a persons aura or such? What about a double disguise, such as polymorphing into an orc and then disguising oneself as an elf?

4.How close of a picture do you get? The subject and ten feet around them buy the book and you can't zoom in. So if the subject was to get in a closet would you just see the room with the closet or would the sensor 'zoom in' to be right next to the subject in the 2'x2' closet? What if the subject just hid under a blanket or tarp? Would you just see the lumpy blanket or would you 'zoom in' to see underneath it?

5.If the target of your scrying enters a smoky place or a place of bright blinding light, are there any spells that can see through this? Or would both of the effects blind scrying?

VGLordR2
2012-05-23, 12:20 AM
1. I think that the spell can see through disguises. You do meet the person (even if they are in disguise). The spell does not ask you to visualize the target. By strict RAW, the target will definitely have a +0 to their will save. However, this is still open to interpretation.

2. See 1.

3. See 2.

4. The "ten feet around them" clause only applies to failed scry attempts. On successes, it is clear that you can see them. In the cupboard, you would see the cupboard. But as for the blanket... I have no idea.

5. I would say that you use your own eyes to see.

You can see and hear some creature, which may be at any distance.
This makes me think that you use your own visual and auditory senses in the scrying. The spell simply allows you to view the subject at a distance.

There is also this part towards the end:

As with all divination (scrying) spells, the sensor has your full visual acuity, including any magical effects.
This implies that you are using your sensory abilities (and only your sensory abilities).

I hope this helps. The wording on the spell really is vague.