PDA

View Full Version : Paladin as a prestige class [3.5]

Averis Vol
2012-05-22, 06:04 PM
this is just something i'm putting up for my group, I have no illusions that it is any sort of break through in the paladin homebrew world this is merely the class set in play for my campaign. if you like it feel free to use it or if you have anything you'd like to mention don't hesitate; criticism, as always, is welcome.

Requirements:
heal (7 ranks)
Knowledge religion (7 ranks)
Diplomacy(7 ranks)
sense motive (7 ranks)
BaB +6
Special: must adhere to the Dogma of your diety
Special: must be inducted into the order by another paladin
alignment: lawful good (Though you must adhere to your deities dogma you may go within one step on both of the alignment axis. For example, you could worship Wee jas (L/N) and become a paladin, or likewise you could worship Boccob (TN) or Pelor (N/G).)

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoPPmlaKfsscKArKcAu3Kohafq5E5Ts-AUyh-ECMuwfQrWvaSBgw
Picture from google images, credit to H~ minus

The Paladin
Class skills:bluff, concentration, climb, diplomacy, gather information, handle animal, heal, intimidate, jump, knowledge religion, knowledge history, knowledge nobility and royalty, knowledge the planes, listen, profession, sense motive, spot, swim.
Skill points at each additional level:4+int
Hit Die:D10

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2| Turn undead

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3| Lay on Hands, Smite evil 1/day

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+0|
+3| Aura of courage

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Smite evil 2/day, Divine grace

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4| Bulwark of the gods 1/day

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+5|Smite evil 3/day

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+5| Holy armament, Bulwark of the gods 2/day

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+6|Smite evil 4/day

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+6| Divine protection, Bulwark of the gods 3/day

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+7| Smite evil 5/day [/table]
__________________________________________________ _______

armor and weapon proficiency: a paladin gains proficiency with his dieties favored weapon. other than that the paladin (from now on known as he) gains no proficiency in shields, armor, or weapons.

Turn Undead (Su): At 1st level a paladin gains the supernatural ability to turn undead. he may use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + his Charisma modifier. he turns undead as a cleric of three levels lower would (if you already have turning use the better value, see turn and rebuke undead, page 159 of the PHB)

Smite Evil (Su): Once per day per two paladin levels, a paladin may attempt to smite evil with one normal melee attack. he adds his paladin level to his attack roll and deals extra damage equivilent to his paladin level x his cha modifier (minimum 1). If the paladin accidentally smites a creature that is not evil, the smite deals damage to him equal to his paladin level (minimum 1) as non lethal damage as retribution, and the ability is still used up for that day.

Lay on Hands (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, a paladin with a Charisma score of 12 or higher can heal wounds (her own or those of others) by touch. Each day he can heal a total number of points of damage equal to his paladin level × his Charisma bonus. A paladin may choose to divide her healing among multiple recipients, and he doesn’t have to use it all at once. Using lay on hands is a standard action. Alternatively, a paladin can use any or all of this healing power to deal damage to undead creatures. Using lay on hands in this way requires a successful melee touch attack and doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity. The paladin decides how many of his daily allotment of points to use as damage after successfully touching an undead creature.

Aura of Courage (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, a paladin is immune to fear (magical or otherwise). Each ally within 10 feet of him gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects and a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls. This ability functions while the paladin is conscious, but not if he is unconscious or dead.

Divine grace(Su): At 4th level, a paladin gains a bonus equal to his Charisma bonus (if any) on all saving throws.

Bulwark of the gods(Su): at 5th level, once per day per two paladin level a paladin can invoke protection from his god, calling on a divine shield to protect him or an ally. this effect last for one round per use and provides the benefactor DR/- equal to your paladin level plus your charisma modifier(if any) until the end of the turn. this is a supernatural ability that can be used as an immediate action (but no more then once a round). the ally must be within 30 feet to recieve this effect.
At 7th and 9th level the paladin gains an extra use of this ability per day.

holy armament(Su): at 7th level and above, a paladin can say a prayer to his god when he wakes in the morning, if he does his weapon glows with golden warmth and acts as if it had the holy enchantment. this effect persists all day or until the blade leaves his hands. it remains holy even if the paladin is helpless or unconscious, though it flickers out if he dies. also, if he strikes a creature who is good aligned the glow flickers away and cant be reignited for 1 day/ per paladin level.
If a paladins weapon is already imbued with the holy enchantment he instead gains the holy surge enchantment (MiC pg. 36)

Divine protection(Su): at 9th level the paladin has earned the affection of his god. once a day a paladin can call out to his god for protection, he is enveloped in a glowing white light that grants fast healing equal to his paladin level and repels all creatures of evil alignment in reach of the glow (10 ft radius centered on you.) he also gain the benefit of the freedom of movement effect and his weapons deal extra divine damge equal to his paladin level. this effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to your charisma modifier.

well there it is, what do you all think? questions, comments, hatemail etc. all welcome. :smallbiggrin:

Steward
2012-05-23, 01:58 PM
The Paladin is well-suited for prestige class treatment. I really like holy armament; it's not overpowered, but it's a nice supplement that fits with the flavor of the prestige class.

Did you mean to leave off a description for the 'divine grace' ability?

Averis Vol
2012-05-23, 03:48 PM
The Paladin is well-suited for prestige class treatment. I really like holy armament; it's not overpowered, but it's a nice supplement that fits with the flavor of the prestige class.

Did you mean to leave off a description for the 'divine grace' ability?

i hadn't even noticed that i did, i'll throw it in.

EDIT: Divine grace has its description now.

Avalon®
2012-05-24, 01:07 PM
Where's the requirements for entering the class?

Averis Vol
2012-05-24, 05:25 PM
oh man, thats what i get for posting bored at three in the morning. :smallannoyed: i'll toss them on, thanks for the catch.