PDA

View Full Version : The Orb Of Fire IC Thread

Kelvin360
2012-05-22, 07:15 PM
Torvale.

The Beacon of the Northern Plains. The Well of the Earth. The Great Frontier.

These are but some of the myriad names that the populace have for the town near the Ashenpeak Mountains. For nearly twenty years it has stood mightily on the plains, the great homestead for many an individual. Despite the incredible diversity for the populace, the Mayor has kept peace and prosperity between the townsfolk for all this time, and Torvale was a shining example of calm and contentment.

Not any longer.

Recently, and without warning, giants from the Ashenpeak Mountains have been launching raids on Torvale, and the townsfolk have been devastated. It has no real standing militia, nor a reliable way of fending off invasions that none had even thought possible, and many have suffered accordingly. They only know two things: The giants are searching for something they believe the townsfolk have stolen. And they will not stop until they have found it.

Desperate, the Mayor sent his fastest rider south, towards the populous cities, with a message for any adventurers brave enough to answer.

Torvale calls for aid.

Your group has answered that call. After days of travel, you have arrived at the ruins of the once-proud Great Frontier, your steeds trotting past the burned homes and broken landmarks.

Eventually, at the town center, you come across the sight of a middle-aged man wearing Torvale’s sigil (a sun shining over a golden field) on his clothing, speaking to a dwarven woman in plate, a hammer at her side. Both look grim, but at the sight of your party, the human looks intensely relieved and walks forward.

”Greetings, travellers. I am Mayor Mathias Bodwin. Pleased to make your aquaintances. Welcome to Torvale…such as it is.”

Cheesy74
2012-05-22, 07:28 PM
Jeth creaks forward at an unsteady, but surprisingly rapid pace, keeping up with the group since leaving the horses. A rasping voice escapes his low-draped hood as he hunches over his staff.
"The stars have ordained our meeting, Sir mayor. I am Jeth, student of the arcane. How can we be of assistance?"

Linguz
2012-05-22, 07:53 PM
Nolan followed from atop his giant eagle (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=399698). He sat up in the saddle, whispered something in Auran, and Aquila turned around a bit so that Nolan could see the man's face clearly. He didn't speak and just kept a calm expression.

Kelvin360
2012-05-22, 08:06 PM
"Hmm, how indeed. Our major concern at the moment is stopping the attacks. In fact, that's the only way we've thought of that could potentially help. Forming defenses would take too long, and the giants would just tear them down.

No, we need someone to go directly to the mountains and eliminate them. Regrettable though it is, we have not what they seek, and they will stop for neither diplomacy nor pleas." He glances up at Nolan and Aquila, but seems remarkably unconcerned. Likely someone who just had his town destroyed by giants simply isn't phased by much.

"Unfortunately we've little in the way of information to offer you, though one of our retired rangers scouted out the Peaks and brought a map back with him. It could help you get there." He turns his head to the dwarf. "Sheila, if you would fetch hither the map?"

"Aye aye, Mayor." She strides off hurriedly and the Mayor waits for any questions.

Linguz
2012-05-22, 08:16 PM
Nolan took this opportunity to ask a question, "Have you heard the giants say anything that could give us a clue as to what they're looking for?"

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-22, 09:05 PM
Anar Harlessen, Dragon Shaman

Anar had only just arrived in town, and focussed on finding a person in a position of authority. He hadn't come here to gossip, only fulfil his vows to Karro.

He approached the mayor and his band just in time to catch the last of what he said and Anar quickly got up to speed.

He had suspected that some here would argue for extermination, but to have it so boldly put surprised him, and he paused, deciding it would be better to here the others out and see where they stood, before voicing the dissenting opinion.

Cheesy74
2012-05-22, 09:34 PM
Not waiting for the response to Nolan's query, Jeth immediately pipes up.
"Force is a brutish and unnecessary tactic. At the very least we should engage in some reconnaissance before attacking. Perhaps taking a less direct route..." Jeth muses.
He squints and racks his memory for information about the Ashenpeak Mountains and any details on where the giants might make their home.

[roll0] Knowledge: Geography

BShammie
2012-05-22, 10:01 PM
Merinna, Changeling Rogue (Disguised as Oren)

Merinna, disguised today as a red-haired elf man named Oren, stands with the group. I agree with Jeth. We shouldn't have to kill the giants.
Mathias, do you know of anyone who was in contact with them before the raids started? Maybe they would know what angered the giants.

Kelvin360
2012-05-22, 10:27 PM
Mathias looks a bit sadly at the group, though not because they don't want to just rush in and kill everything. Apparently, he understands their thought process.

"I'm afraid the most we've gotten from them during a rampage is broken smatterings of common. 'Where is it' and 'Give it to us' have been the most common, although we've heard 'smash', as well. As for exacts, we simply don't know. Until recently we didn't even know the giants existed. It would be a bit cliche to say they appear to have popped out of the ground, but that is the case. How they think we have stolen anything of theirs, I can't even imagine, though if you could come up with a solution that doesn't involve a new river, I would be overjoyed."

Knowledge Result:

The Ashenpeak Mountains are a rather haphazard collection ranging from simply tall hillsides to active (or recently active) volcanoes. If one were to build a base in the range, the most obvious solution would be either tunnels inside the volcanic rock faces (which might serve the dual purpose of a mining operation) or a camp in one of the canyons that dot the landscape.

Rumors have been going around for years that the dwarves have already made a few citadels inside the range, but no one has proven these claims.

Several places catch your eye immediately as likely candidates: Relemar, the shortest fully-grown mountain, which hasn't been active in recorded history and is rich with iron deposits.

Vaglanthus, the sleeping giant, which has a history of spontaneously awakening and spewing lava and ash into the air, but for the present appears habitable.

Or Bulwadarr, the largest of the trio, which was very recently active but is currently dormant. This one is the mountain with the dwarven rumors.

BShammie
2012-05-22, 10:49 PM
Merinna, Changeling Rogue
(Disguised as Oren)
Merinna looks reassuringly at the mayor.
"Oh no, don't get me wrong. If push comes to shove, then yes, I'll fight for you. At the moment though, it may be best for everyone involved if we looked for alternative solutions. Giants aren't exactly pushovers you know.
I can promise you that we'll do our best to keep you from having to relocate or from losing any more people, even if it means a few other things have to bite the dust."

Cheesy74
2012-05-22, 11:01 PM
Jeth looks up from his introspection.
"Analyzing prior study, I have determined three likely candidates for the giants' home in the mountains - Relemar, known for rich iron deposits and inactive volcanically, Vaglanthus, an unpredictably volcanic mountain which has been dormant for some time, or the large mountain of Bulwadarr, which recently ceased a spree of volcanic activity and has become dormant. I have also read that dwarves may be making their home in Bulwadarr. We should narrow this down, however. Sir mayor, have the giants been using large quantities of iron or steel weapons and armor in their raids? This would imply that they make their home in Relemar. Other than that, we may simply have to check each locale ourselves."
He twists a ring on his finger and gulps briefly following his long speech. A bit of water dribbles out of his mouth into his long beard.

Kelvin360
2012-05-22, 11:08 PM
"I concur. I certainly don't want anyone to charge in blindly. Though...if you wish, you might chance speaking to the ranger for more information. If you can get him to talk. I'm afraid he's..seen some disturbing things recently. When he isn't drunk he's an incoherent wreck. A shame. He was the most able retiree we had.

Iron? No. They seem content with using their fists and feet. Although between your knowledge and the map, we might soon know." As if on cue, the dwarf woman comes back and hands off a map to Jeth. It has a few circled points on it, a few with question marks, and tiny annotations where the scout apparently either saw giants or stickmen. Most of the circles points are around a valley marked 'lifeless', which is at the feet of Bulwadarr.

Linguz
2012-05-22, 11:19 PM
Aquila spoke up after taking a look at the map, "I could fly to the mountains and see if I can spot anyone, though it'd take a few hours."

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-23, 04:26 AM
Anar Harlessen

He looks down at the map but is disappointed by the seeming lack of information it conveys.

"I'd suggest we speak to this ranger and see what he has to say: it doesn't look like this map will mean much to anyone but him. We can also ask him about the terrain and climate: if we are going to hike into a lifeless valley I'd like to know what we're getting ourselves into."

Karro had taught him well, he mused, teaching him to analyse a situation before getting involved.
He then heard the Eagle speak, which though it gave him cause to pause wasn't utterly unexpected. He decided to venture a response, even though he was unsure of the etiquette.

"Perhaps that would be wise, a scout in the air would be ten times more valuable than one on foot. Is there anyone here who could accompany this noble beast?"

Linguz
2012-05-23, 07:47 AM
Nolan slipped off Aquila, landing on the ground. "I could go, but she would see about the same as me. She's smart, there shouldn't be any problem with getting the information even if she goes alone." He walked around Aquila as he spoke to get in front of her. They briefly spoke in Auran, Nolan telling her to be careful and Aquila that she already knew.

Aquila nodded one last time at her companion. "I'll be back in a few hours. If anyone has any way to make a signal for me when I'm returning, do so." She took some steps away from the group, to a wide enough open area, and began to flap her mighty wings, lifting off the ground. She reached a suitable height and began to make her way towards the mountain with all due haste, her eagle eyes watching the ground below.

Spot: [roll0]

Cheesy74
2012-05-23, 08:03 AM
The crystal on Jeth's staff sparks and flares. "Signals. Indeed..." he mumbles. "We will await your return."
He then sidles in to examine the map. "A lifeless valley. This is all that is available to us? I agree, let us speak with the ranger," he wheezes. "Do you know where he might be?"

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-23, 03:14 PM

The eagle's decision seemed rash, but Anar knew that being well informed was key to victory. He nodded at the wizard's words, concurring that they should go and see this man.

BShammie
2012-05-23, 06:54 PM
(Disguised as Oren)

"Yes I agree, the ranger may be our best bet at the moment.
Mathias do you know if the valley 'lifeless' as in nothing lives there or 'lifeless' as in nothing alive lives there? It's an important distinction.

Kelvin360
2012-05-23, 08:09 PM
"I believe he is..." Mathias looks around from building to building before pointing to the only inn that hasn't been destroyed. "In there. Though, if I may, I would advise not asking the barkeep about him. Old Devishar gets a bit, ah, feisty about high tabs of his patrons."

Spot Result:

The valley as indicated by the map has the remains of a few campsites, likely those of giants given the size, but true to the name nothing appears to live move or breathe down there. Large tracks lead into what seems to be a cavern entrance at the foot of the mountain, and something is...unsettling about the general area.

Linguz
2012-05-23, 08:15 PM
(Just tell me when Aquila would have returned, since I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that fast. :P)

Nolan nods and heads over to the inn. Inside, he looks around, seeing if he can spot the ranger, or just in general who's at the bar if the ranger isn't obvious.

Kelvin360
2012-05-23, 08:42 PM
As expected, the inn is completely filled. There almost isn't room to move between the patrons and waitresses. Your senses are assaulted by the smell of ale, the sound of a dozen people ordering a drink at once, and the sight of so many individuals occupying the same space.

The bartender, an old (and balding) human man, is behind the bar, scowling at a drunkard and cleaning a glass with a cloth. Between all this commotion, it's probably going to take an active effort to find your own shoes, much less one ranger.

Linguz
2012-05-23, 08:50 PM
(If I hadn't said that Nolan was calm and patient, he would be yelling right now.)

Nolan sighed and began to weave his way through the crowd, finding a random person who didn't seem to be talking with anyone. "Excuse me, sir. Would you be willing to help me help you? I'm looking for a ranger who is supposedly somewhere in this inn. Do you think you can help me find him?"

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Kelvin360
2012-05-23, 10:22 PM
Predictably, the only one not otherwise engaged is what appears to be the village sleazebag. "Eh, you mean Iaral? Sure, 'ees 'round 'ere somewheres, I think. Maybe uhhh.." A random man stumbles back and hits the floor with a bloody nose, unconscious. "Ohh, there 'ee is! Er. Gotter run." With that, he dives out of the bar. In front of the sleeping man, a leather-clad elf stands calmly with a drink in one hand and fingers curled into a fist in the other.

"I appreciate your offer of a drink, but perhaps you should take your stupidity elsewhere." He says, downing the last few drops of ale in the tankard. "More." He hands it off to a passing waitress.

Cheesy74
2012-05-23, 10:26 PM
Jeth reflexively moves his staff to the ready and holds his hand back, fingers outstretched. "You are the ranger we were told about, hrmm? The one with knowledge about the mountains? Perhaps you could step outside and assist us."

Jeth lowers his staff slightly, but still seems poised to react should anything hostile occur.

I'm readying an action to manifest Entangling Ectoplasm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/entanglingEctoplasm.htm) against this guy if he moves to attack me, grab me, or anything else aggressive.

Kelvin360
2012-05-23, 11:10 PM
The ranger simply looks at Jeth until his drink arrives. He downs it before responding. "No. You and the Mayor can keep your damned crusade. I don't want anything to do with the giants and I sure as the hells don't want to go back to those mountains. I just want to drink in peace until death finally comes for me." He slumps into his chair and stares deeply into the cup. "Should only be a day or two."

Linguz
2012-05-23, 11:12 PM
Nolan went to the man's side and sat down next to him at an empty chair (possibly moving a chair there). "Why would you want to pass away? What could you have seen, have done, or whatever that has made you so... so against living?"

Kelvin360
2012-05-24, 12:33 AM
"I have seen the face of fire and destruction, and there is no hope. We are doomed, nothing will change that. But I'm the only one who has realized it. It is ironic that my intuition is suddenly my curse.

You wish to know why I have given up? I have seen them. The army. So many...the swarm of fire, of hate. We cannot escape. We cannot hope to defend. Eventually they will send their forces against us and we will all die.

So here I am. At the edge of oblivion, hoping in the name of the Gods that I'll kill myself drinking before they kill me underfoot."

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-24, 04:30 AM

Anar followed Nolan into the inn, and was about to step in when he saw that violence was possible, but luckily the ranger didn't seem so far gone as that. He drew on the powers that Karro had taught him of, using that small well of draconic power he could access to forge a glamour. Used by dragons to sway mortals to their will, his was only a pale comparison, but it would bolster his attempts with words here.

Draconic Aura, presence +2 diplomacy, intimidate, bluff to Anar and Nolan.

"Then why not flee? If you think you would be destroyed why not flee? I believe you still have honour left, some sense of duty. We do not ask for much, just information: there is no need to go into that valley again."

BShammie
2012-05-24, 04:59 AM
(Disguised as Oren)

Merinna, seeing how the rest of the party is in control of the situation, lifts the unconscious man off of the floor. She forces her way through the crowd with him, and tries to get the bartender's attention.
"Hey, excuse me! Sir, is there anywhere I can bring this man? He looks hurt."

Linguz
2012-05-24, 09:02 AM
"I have seen the face of fire and destruction, and there is no hope. We are doomed, nothing will change that. But I'm the only one who has realized it. It is ironic that my intuition is suddenly my curse.

You wish to know why I have given up? I have seen them. The army. So many...the swarm of fire, of hate. We cannot escape. We cannot hope to defend. Eventually they will send their forces against us and we will all die.

So here I am. At the edge of oblivion, hoping in the name of the Gods that I'll kill myself drinking before they kill me underfoot."

"If you're so intent on death, what would be the problem in helping those who want to help?"

Cheesy74
2012-05-24, 10:04 AM
Jeth steps back from the situation, content to observe the superior diplomats handle the ranger. He leans on his staff, relaxed but still mentally prepared to defend if the situation becomes violent.

Still keeping that action readied, but I won't fake verbal/somatic components if he triggers it.

Kelvin360
2012-05-24, 07:52 PM
"I..." He sighs heavily. "You're right, of course. I've stayed here too long to watch it all crumble now." He pulls up an extra seat or two for the group and drinks some more to settle himself.

"What did you wish to know?"

--

The bartender looks startled and rushes up to help...and then spots the unconscious man's face and grimaces. "Eh. That's just Semmy. Probably the only thing broken's his brain, and it's been for a while. If you're concerned, Sister Athriela's place is just down the road. White-stoned building, symbol of a sun over the doorway, can't miss it."

Linguz
2012-05-24, 08:02 PM
"Whatever can help us out. We currently have a member of our group scouting out the areas we saw on the map, but anything at all about the giants would help. Particularly, if you have anything that could help us figure out what they're looking for, that'd be of great help."

BShammie
2012-05-24, 08:06 PM
(Disguised as Oren)

Merinna thanks the bartender for his information and carries Semmy to the party. She speaks to Jeth, rather than the group as a whole, to avoid interrupting the conversation. "I'll be back in a bit, this drunkard drank himself unconscious. If the group needs me, I'll be in the white-stoned building down the road."

Cheesy74
2012-05-24, 08:15 PM
Jeth steps in, repeating his summary of the likely homes of the giants. "Could you tell us more about these places in the mountains? Specifically, any information you have regarding giants or dwarves occupying one of the locations."

Kelvin360
2012-05-24, 09:27 PM
Iaral glares at Semmy and takes another sip of ale. "I am not an expert on dwarves, nor did I have the inclination to get close enough to ask the giants about the object of their interest, but the mountains themselves...yes.

My travels took me to the higher edges of the hillsides and thankfully, I was not spotted. However, I did notice the giants themselves. Dozens of them, stomping about a campsite in the Lifeless Valley....I did not miss the irony of the name. A majority of them were working at a wall on the side of Bulwadarr, though soon after I settled in, the miners became excited, moving to the camp main.

All of them packed up and simply strolled into the side of the mountain as though it were air. It was impossible to tell from my vantage point, but if I had to guess, I would gather that they unearthed a previously-dug entrance inside. There were...too many to count. A true armada. Hill giants, ogres...several specks that I assume were humans, but they were lit so brightly...

And at the head, a sight I never thought nor hoped to see. Three fire giants, standing muchly over the rest, leading them inside. That was days ago. By now it is all but certain they have established a foothold, and nor they have a reason to attack, nevermind that even we do not know what it is.

As for the other mountains, I think I recall seeing a speck in the sky around Vaglanthus, which I thought was odd for the local avian population, but busied myself with investigating the giants for the most part. Relemar stood silent as always. Which I found odd. It seems to me the best place to inhabit for a war effort would be a place rich in weaponcrafting materials.

I fear that is all I can think of, at present. The very memory still sends shivers down my spine."

Linguz
2012-05-24, 09:49 PM
"Fire giants, you say?" Nolan racked his brain about those giants, trying to remember anything.

Nature Knowledge: [roll0] (Trained)

Cheesy74
2012-05-24, 11:04 PM
Jeth nods appreciatively, mind linking words and connections effortlessly and with immense speed.

I'll follow suit.
[roll0] Knowledge: Nature
...Dammit.

Kelvin360
2012-05-25, 12:50 AM
Jeth's incredible mental acuity manages to remind him that...er...they're giants. And they like fire. And they're big. And something something axes.

Nolan, on the other hand, recalls a bit more detail:

Knowledge Result (You recall a few general details about Fire Giant Appearance and a tiny bit about their society):

Fire giants are brutal, ruthless, and militaristic. They are tall but squat, resembling huge dwarves.

They have coal-black skin, flaming red or bright orange hair, and prognathous jaws that reveal dirty ivory or yellow teeth. An adult male is 12 feet tall, has a chest that measures 9 feet around, and weighs about 7,000 pounds. Females are slightly shorter and lighter. Fire giants can live to be 350 years old.

Fire giants wear sturdy cloth or leather garments colored red, orange, yellow, or black. Warriors wear helmets and half-plate armor of blackened steel.

Linguz
2012-05-25, 12:56 AM
"Well, I don't want to go messing around with those things. Seems like trying to do it diplomatically will be a much better idea." For all of those that don't know, Nolan explains, "They're ruthless and brutal, so if we tried to talk to them we might just get attacked right away." He turns his attention to the ranger again. "So those three giants are their leaders, while ogres, hill giants, and even humans, among others, are the members. I doubt they're there just to enjoy the scenery, if there are really that many. Is there anything else you can tell us that could help?"

Kelvin360
2012-05-25, 01:41 AM
"I fear anything more specific is beyond my ken. The old coven, yes, the ancient history, certainly. But this...the newest threats are always hardest to divine. Better to wait and let history tell you more, normally. These circumstances are hardly normal, however."

---

The white outpose, clearly a temple, stands untouched amongst smoking ruins of other destroyed buildings. And for extra effect, it even glows. A hooded and white-robed woman greets Merinna inside while two acolytes takes Semmy to the corner. Normally he would go to the infirmary, but injured and dying people are nearly pouring out of that room, and even under the hood she looks haggard.

"Thank you for bringing Semmy to us. He will be up and about in an hour or two, though Iaral may not like that. A shame really, his temperament.

Ah, but I carry on. Welcome to this humble temple of Lathander. Is there ought else I can do for you?"

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-25, 02:07 AM
Anar Harlessen

Well they had successfully convinced the ranger to tell them all he knew- little of it good.
Anar tried to think of anything he had been taught that could aid them, but he came up nearly dry: he could ward them slightly against the fires of these creatures, and he could attack them with the inner-ice he supposed, but still, giants! And in those numbers he was doubtful of their chances.

He nodded as everything was discussed, but decided to take a back seat: he'd done his work persuading the man to talk, now to let the more traditional members of their group dredge him for information.

BShammie
2012-05-25, 06:31 AM
(Disguised as Oren)
"Perhaps, priestess." Merinna walks slowly through the room while speaking, "A group I'm a member of has been hired to stop the attacks. Would you happen to know what set the giants off?"
Merinna looks outside at the destroyed buildings. "Or do you know why they would avoid this building? A fear of magic perhaps? Anything you can tell me will help stop the giants."

Diplomacy (+19) [roll0]

Cheesy74
2012-05-25, 08:12 AM
Jeth continues to nod politely as the ranger finishes divulging his knowledge. "I, personally, have always been in favor of taking knowledge wherever I can claim it," he muses before hobbling outside slightly irritably, beckoning for his allies to follow. He moves into an open area of the streets before placing his staff head on the ground. Sweeping it along the street in an arc, he drones a single, pure note for a few moments before continuing his slow, methodical dance with his staff. After a few minutes, the winds pick up around the roads and leaves and dust blow onto the cobblestones, beginning to form a message.

I manifest Psionic Divination (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/divinationPsionic.htm) to learn the answer to the question "What do the fire giants attacking Torvale seek?"

Linguz
2012-05-25, 08:21 AM
Nolan followed Jeth outside and stood aside as he did his crazy mumbo jumbo.

Kelvin360
2012-05-25, 05:28 PM
(Disguised as Oren)
"Perhaps, priestess." Merinna walks slowly through the room while speaking, "A group I'm a member of has been hired to stop the attacks. Would you happen to know what set the giants off?"
Merinna looks outside at the destroyed buildings. "Or do you know why they would avoid this building? A fear of magic perhaps? Anything you can tell me will help stop the giants."

Diplomacy (+19) [roll0]

"Ah, I see. Well I am afraid I will be able to tell you little the mayor would not have explained, that being the case. I am sure he has told you that they seek something they believe we have but do not. It is...vexing, to say the least. We do what we can but...when next they attack, we will have too many wounded to care for. They attack with a fury the likes of which I have never seen. Nothing they see is spared from their grasp. Were Iaral not in his depression...but I dither.

This place was protected long ago by my great-grandfather, a high priest of Lathander. His prayers and divine magic created a shield around the temple, so that none who sought to destroy it would find it. Soon it may be the last standing structure in town. Perhaps then the giants will cease..."

Jeth continues to nod politely as the ranger finishes divulging his knowledge. "I, personally, have always been in favor of taking knowledge wherever I can claim it," he muses before hobbling outside slightly irritably, beckoning for his allies to follow. He moves into an open area of the streets before placing his staff head on the ground. Sweeping it along the street in an arc, he drones a single, pure note for a few moments before continuing his slow, methodical dance with his staff. After a few minutes, the winds pick up around the roads and leaves and dust blow onto the cobblestones, beginning to form a message.

I manifest Psionic Divination (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/divinationPsionic.htm) to learn the answer to the question "What do the fire giants attacking Torvale seek?"

Reply:
The giants have set to seek what was stolen
They search for their loss in the fields golden
But though the townsfolk have drawn their ire
None of them have the Orb of Fire

Clearly, the psionic reply takes the spells' definition of "might take the form of a cryptic rhyme or omen." liberally.

BShammie
2012-05-25, 08:46 PM
(Disguised as Oren)
"Perhaps they will, but I'm hoping we can stop the attacks before the town is wiped off of the map. Regardless, when I left Iaral seemed to have been willing to speak to the group. Whatever information he had has likely been shared with my allies by now.

Well priestess, I should rejoin my group, but I'll be returning after we have dealt with the giants to help tend to the wounded. I have a wand that I would lend you, but I fear we may need it soon. In the meantime, perhaps you should make a plan with the mayor if you haven't already; hiding the townsfolk in here during an attack may save a few lives."
With that, Merinna bids farewell to the woman and leaves for the tavern to rejoin the group.

Cheesy74
2012-05-26, 10:03 AM
Jeth squints at the message below as he returns to resting upon his staff. "The Orb of Fire. Are any of you familiar with such an artifact? It is difficult to call to mind..." he mumbles as his eyes unfocus. He remains deep in thought for some time.

If it's a Knowledge: Arcana check to know about the Orb of Fire:
[roll0]
If this is a Knowledge: History check:
[roll1]
dammit law of averages

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-26, 10:17 AM

It seemed the mage had uncovered some sort of secret in the sand, and though Anar was not well versed in the arcane arts, he knew to give them a healthy respect.

He looked at the rhyme but made little of the references. He had learnt something of riddling though, for as one of the main intellectual pursuits of dragon kind he had learnt a small amount in his period of tutelage.

"It would seem the giants attacks are misguided, though unfortunately they are as of yet unaware of this." At least we won't have to convince the humans to part with some sacred heirloom or make a sacrifice they're unwilling to make, that's always the hardest.
"Does anyone know much of the geography around here? Is any place renowned for it's barley or crops in general?"

He tried to remember if this object, this orb, had any relevance to the important personages of this area.

Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty): [roll0]

Linguz
2012-05-26, 11:07 AM
Nolan thought about it.

Arcana: [roll0]
Architecture & Engineering: [roll1]
Dungeoneering: [roll2]
Geography: [roll3]
History: [roll4]
Local: [roll5]
Nature: [roll6]
Nobility and Royalty: [roll7]
Religion: [roll8]
The Planes: [roll9]

All of these are trained.

Cheesy74
2012-05-26, 11:12 AM
Jeth nods, the meaning of the rhyme itself having escaped him. "I appreciate your insight into the matter, Anar," he says, almost reluctantly.

Kelvin360
2012-05-26, 12:44 PM
Relevant Check Results -

Arcana (Jeth): Jeth remembers from his studies that a powerful magical artifact that was christened the 'Orb of Fire' has been the subject of some debate amongst scholars as to its place of belonging. All agree that it comes originally from the elemental plane of fire, and that it is in fact an extension of the plane itself. A repository, if you will, for fiery power. The debate comes in when they attempt to speculate who summoned it here (Some claim is was a gift from Kossuth, the god of fire, while others say a mad wizard snatched it from the plane of fire personally). Most importantly, and most disturbingly, scholars agree that if it or any of the other Orbs of Talmetheraan were to fall into the hands of creatures with an affinity to the element, they would be nearly unstoppable.

History (Jeth): Something something ancient, something something unite to bring about apocalypse, something something sacrifice of the Gods, something something cheese.

Nobility and Royalty (Nolan): There is a history of certain Fire Giant Jarls using a flaming orb not unlike an ioun stone as a claim to the throne. A symbol of power like, say, an ancient unstoppable artifact would be the perfect symbol of might for these creatures. In this particular family, those without the Orb tend to be...deposed.

Geography (Jeth): Torvale and the surrounding plains are very famous for their prodigious wheat production, as well as the flawless golden color their crops turn in the sunset or sunrise.

The Planes (Nolan): During a recent crisis with the Shadow Plane, magi and researchers became aware of certain focuses of magic or 'foundations' upon which the elemental planes were built. These foundations were tied to objects in the material plane (that have since been destroyed), but it was discovered that each foundation produced its own magical/elemental energy that could manifest either within or outside the planes, that carried within it the power of the plane itself. Reports vary on whether or not this energy took a circular form.

Linguz
2012-05-26, 01:01 PM
Nolan shared what he remembered about the orb.

Cheesy74
2012-05-26, 01:07 PM
Jeth's eyes widen as Nolan explains his knowledge. He pauses briefly before he details his memory of the orb of fire. "Clearly we cannot simply return the orb to stop their attacks. We would be the instruments of the world's destruction to do such a thing..." Jeth stares at the message still on the ground as it begins to drift away. "We should endeavor to find this orb ourselves. I believe that I--...we would be its best caretakers."

Linguz
2012-05-26, 01:35 PM
"No, we wouldn't. My guess is that we would most likely use that power to gain our own ends. We can't find it and then attack the giants with it, for it being taken is too great a risk. Though, about who should hold it, I know not, so I'd rather risk it with one of us. Can you use that magic again to find the orb?" Nolan makes a mental note to ask Aquila if she knows anything about the orb when she returns.

Cheesy74
2012-05-26, 01:41 PM
"I...my mind is fogged each time I use this spell, but I can certainly attempt to divine further knowledge," Jeth responds, a bit affronted by Nolan's assessment of his morals.

Jeth places the base of his staff on the ground and encircles it with his hand. It begins to rise into the air and spin as Jeth focuses on it, both hands outstretched toward it. A few minutes pass once more and the bricks of a nearby building begin to distort into writings.

This time Jeth seeks the answer to the question "Where can the artifact known as the Orb of Fire be found?".
[roll0] A 78 or lower is a successful divination.

Kelvin360
2012-05-26, 02:05 PM
"The Orb of Fire that you seek
Can be found in the highest peak
Where the fire lizard makes it's lair
'Tis a truly fearsome beast, beware."

Cheesy74
2012-05-26, 02:09 PM
Jeth gently takes his staff from the air and returns to leaning on it. "The highest peak...can anyone identify the highest peak in the Ashenpeak mountains?"

Linguz
2012-05-26, 02:29 PM
Nolan reads the words. "Or where this fire lizard lives."

Knowledge rolls!

Nature: What is this fire lizard (probably won't work).
[roll0]

Geography: What is the highest peak and where?
[roll1]

History: Is there any historical reference to a fire lizard or the highest peak?
[roll2]

Kelvin360
2012-05-26, 03:36 PM
Jeth recalls what he knew earlier: The highest peak is Bulwadarr.

Though there is an actual fire-resistant small lizard that resides in a certain desert, most often the term is used as a derogatory for Firenewts, Salamanders, Dragons, Flame-Worshipping Kobolds, or very drunk Troglodytes.

History: Alas, aside from the dwarven rumors, there is no history behind the eak of Bulwadarr, though a certain gnome scientist speculated that the top of the mountain has a residual magical effect that superheats the rock, making it a comfortable place for, say, fire giants. Or something. But not deadly to non-fire-dwellers.

Cheesy74
2012-05-26, 04:09 PM
"Bulwadarr...Bulwadarr! That's where the ranger said that the giants were digging! We need to head out at once!" Jeth shouts, uncharacteristically loudly. "Pack only what you need, and do not consider shelter - I can provide that," he demands, tapping his staff against the ground enthusiastically.

Linguz
2012-05-26, 04:15 PM
"Guessing that's the tallest peak. Calm down, the fire lizard guarding the top... it's a firenewt, a salamander, or a dragon, my guess is going for dragon, as the riddle said it's a fearsome beast." Nevertheless, Nolan was already ready to depart, the only thing missing was Aquila.

(How much time has passed since she left?)

Kelvin360
2012-05-26, 07:30 PM
(Probably close to 40 minutes. But if you start hiking you can catch her on the way there.)

BShammie
2012-05-26, 07:34 PM
(Sorry to interrupt, but has Merinna rejoined the group yet or is she still walking back?)

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-26, 07:56 PM

So it seemed that everyone was working quickly, though the alacrity with which they came to their conclusions worried Anar: maybe these would not be the best care takers of an artefact of such tremendous powers.
He sincerely hoped that the rhyme did not mean a dragon, for to call those great creatures fire lizards would cause him to doubt the source of this knowledge, one may as well call a giant a tall human.

Kelvin360
2012-05-26, 08:37 PM
(Sorry to interrupt, but has Merinna rejoined the group yet or is she still walking back?)

(Well, the priestess didn't stop her, so if you're on the way, you're on the way. The Temple isn't very far from where everyone is, either.)

Kelvin360
2012-05-27, 12:27 PM
(So assuming Merinna's back, is everyone setting off, or investigating some more? Just want to be sure.)

Cheesy74
2012-05-27, 12:28 PM
(I'm in favor of going.)
(Edit: why the hell did i type the opposite of what i wanted)

Linguz
2012-05-27, 12:29 PM
And then they were off! Heading towards their destination in that direction!

('Cause you got a loose bolt?)

Kelvin360
2012-05-27, 12:38 PM
The rolling plains seem endless as the party begins their trek, the golden sheaves of wheat and full green grass wafting in the wind. Assuming they are at a steady pace (and not running all-out), they will meet Aquila about 1/3rd of the way to the mountains. What she says is, of course, not the DM's domain, but from her bird's eye view she spots something interesting:

Someone is following the party.

Linguz
2012-05-27, 12:44 PM
How far away is the person from the party and what gender? (So I can use pronouns.)

Kelvin360
2012-05-27, 01:12 PM
About a football field behind. They're hidden enough by the grass (though oddly, making little effort to hide themselves) to make gender difficult to tell, though their build is slim.

Linguz
2012-05-27, 01:16 PM
One person or a group? (Since you used they, now I don't know. Or were you using it to keep gender unknown?)

Kelvin360
2012-05-27, 01:40 PM
As a gender-neutral identification, yes. There's only one.

Linguz
2012-05-27, 01:52 PM
Aquila passes the party in flight and turns around gradually. She glides down and lands behind their position. She spoke in common, "You've got a boggy on your tail. Single person, gender unknown, in the grass hidden, not trying to hide."

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-27, 01:58 PM

Ahh... So perhaps not so simple...

"Perhaps it is the ranger who has changed his mind, none of those town folk looked particularly adventurous, or an adventurer drawn by their call for aid who arrived after us, but either way it would be remiss of us to lead them into danger. We should wait and find out who it is, then decide whether we should allow them to accompany us."

Cheesy74
2012-05-27, 02:23 PM
Jeth's staff begins to glow. "I concur. We should wait for them, but in the event that they are hostile we should be prepared for an attack."

BShammie
2012-05-27, 02:33 PM
(Disguised as Oren)
"I agree." Merrina draws her bow and steps away from the giant eagle, going deeper through the grass. Merinna ducks down and tries to hide herself."Aquila, when do you think he'll get here?"

(Hey Kelvin, didn't we have horses or something? Are we still on them, or did we leave them in Torvale?)

Hide check: [roll0]

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-27, 02:40 PM
Anar, Dragon Shaman

Seeing everyone else limbering up and readying weapons, Anar once again focussed inwards, seeking the power so that he could lend his allies the sight and hearing of a dragon, whilst heightening their reactions.

Change Aura to Senses- include everyone: +2 to Listen, Spot and Initiative.

Cheesy74
2012-05-27, 02:46 PM
Jeth crouches in the grass and focuses, whispering words of Draconic as his feet gently lift from the ground. He prepares himself to float into the air, into a position where he can properly control the battlefield.

Jeth manifests Psionic Levitate. He'll be airborne for 80 minutes, though he's only a few inches off the ground right now.

Linguz
2012-05-27, 03:29 PM
Nolan redies his... Oh, wait. He doesn't need to ready any weapon due to fists. He stands in the middle of the pass and waits.

Aquila goes behind him, to wait as well.

Kelvin360
2012-05-27, 04:14 PM
(Hey Kelvin, didn't we have horses or something? Are we still on them, or did we leave them in Torvale?)

(Yep. That's how you met back up with Aquila so fast.)

"Admirable readiness." Iaral says as he approaches silently from within the grass a few minutes later. His formerly-messy hair is in a ponytail, and he's changed into leather armor, a bow and quiver on his back over a backpack and a sword at his side. His expression is reminiscent of someone walking into lava and fully realizing how much it's going to hurt.

"But even good reflexes don't do as much as you'd like in the peaks. I can't very well let you all walk off into certain death by yourselves, so if you'll have me, I'd like to offer myself as a guide."

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-27, 04:23 PM
Anar, Dragon Shaman

Anar felt both a shock of suspicion at the ranger's approach, and then a flush of pride on hearing his words: it was though he had been compelled by a dragon's glamour, perhaps Anar's strength was increasing that he could have such an effect.

"Your aid will be most welcome, ranger, our main aim ought to be information gathering at the moment, so your expertise will be invaluable."

Linguz
2012-05-27, 04:28 PM
(Guess Nolan was riding with someone...)

Nolan nods and gets onto Aquila's back. "I don't have any problem with that. Aquila, what do you know about the orb of fire?"

Nature Knowledge: [roll0]

After she tells him what she knows, if anything, Nolan fills her in with everything else that they discovered or knew.

BShammie
2012-05-27, 04:46 PM
Merinna climbs out of the grass and greets the ranger. She climbs back onto her horse, and her body thins out and turns a light greyish color. Her hair shortens until it is practically non-existent, leaving only a bit of fuzz. "I'm a bit tired of that body, the hair kept getting into my eyes. Besides that, I don't see a reason to keep secrets from our new friend here."

Kelvin360
2012-05-27, 04:54 PM
Iaral glances up at Merinna and slowly raises a brow with no comment.

Aquila, using knowledge of the natural world, knows enough to know that this Orb of Fire isn't natural. (The elemental plane from which it comes, while the purest extension of an element, is still another plane of existance, and thus is not 'natural' on the material plane, nor anything that comes from it.)

Cheesy74
2012-05-27, 04:55 PM
Jeth lowers his staff and dims its light, returning to the ground. "An interesting change of heart. Very well. Feel free to join us. If you know a faster path, please take the lead. Otherwise, I suggest we continue our travel without delay so as to not give the giants a further advantage."

Kelvin360
2012-05-27, 05:06 PM
"There is a makeshift road hidden in a nearby pass that leads to the Lifeless Valley. It snakes around Bulwadarr and down to the entrance, concealing its users with brush and rock. The ancient rangers used it against the rogue coven." He points to...apparently nothing, then leads the way.

BShammie
2012-05-27, 05:13 PM
Merinna follows Iaral, wondering if she's heard of the coven before.

Would this be Knowledge: Local or History check?
Local [roll0]
History [roll1]

Linguz
2012-05-27, 06:15 PM
Nolan spoke to the ranger, "Any problems with me following from above?"

Cheesy74
2012-05-27, 06:27 PM
"I may as well do the same," Jeth suggests. "I am still weightless for an hour and a half. Could I perhaps just hold onto a talon, Aquila?"

Linguz
2012-05-27, 07:15 PM
"If you're truly weightless, I have no problems. I won't be able to fly if I have to carry anything more than what I am already, though." Aquila turns to the ranger and waits for his answer.

Kelvin360
2012-05-27, 07:27 PM
Nolan spoke to the ranger, "Any problems with me following from above?"

"None. The higher the better, advance warning from attack is always helpful."

Merinna follows Iaral, wondering if she's heard of the coven before.

Both checks are technically necessary, but since you rolled the same on both:

Result -

'The Coven' is an old (and now extinct) order of witches that used to inhabit the Ashenpeak Mountain Range, the Lifeless Valley in particular. For a time, they were essentially the local druid's grove, but an upstart killed the good archdruids and drove herself and her followers away from the balance.

These new Blighters were a bane on the Peaks for a long time until a group of rangers - elves, mostly - tracked them to their cavernous complex and eliminated them. Since then, the Lifeless Valley has been generally lifeless, though it's original name was ironically-given, since the Blighters were fond of using old bones under the rocks there for necromantic purposes.

Miscellaneous - This was all about 200 years ago, and only two unnnamed rangers are known to have survived, in case you were curious.

BShammie
2012-05-27, 07:54 PM
Merinna looks at the ranger with an inquisitive expression. "Iaral, were you one of the rangers who killed the druids off a couple of centuries ago?"

Kelvin360
2012-05-27, 08:23 PM
Merinna looks at the ranger with an inquisitive expression. "Iaral, were you one of the rangers who killed the druids off a couple of centuries ago?"

He instinctively quickens his pace a bit, body tensing. "Well, that is a sudden and not-particularly-relevant question..." It's really obvious he's just trying to throw off the question.

BShammie
2012-05-27, 08:33 PM
"It is yes, but I'm still interested. Spellcasters aren't the easiest people to fight, so I have to wonder about how it all went down.
Besides my own curiosity, I feel like telling us your story may show us exactly how tough the giants will be. You and your group managed to kill the blighters, but the giants had you terrified. Can the giants actually be more trouble to deal with than the coven was?" Merrina remembers how they aren't even halfway there yet. "We have a bit of time to pass too, so how about you tell us what happened?"

Kelvin360
2012-05-27, 10:12 PM
"I would ask you a question first, if you are willing. What do you wish to hear? Tales of some glorious battle? A massive push culminating in a decisive victory? The true story is none of that. I can tell you the expressions on the faces of my lifelong companions as they died in front of me, the sounds of their last breaths, how long I waited for the Blighters to die a slow painful death of starvation after they ate each other.

But if you expect this to have any bearing on our quest, here, now, or expect a thrilling battlesong before charging onwards...you are in for a rude awakening. From me, you would only hear death, regret, and despair."

BShammie
2012-05-27, 10:31 PM
"Sir, with all due respect, if I wanted a song or a tale to heighten our spirits, I would have hired a bard.
No, if you'd tell me, I'd rather hear of why the rangers and the blighters fought. I understand that they killed the old archdruids and caused problems in Ashenpeak, but I'd like to know what they did specifically to attract your attention."
Merinna pauses for a moment.

"This is, of course, only if you want to speak about it. I'll drop the questions if you'd like me to."

Kelvin360
2012-05-27, 10:57 PM
They continue is silence, for a time.

"It was an accident. The two orders were to meet and discuss recent disturbing events that the Blighters had caused. When we got there, the archdruids of the original Coven were already dead. We were caught completely off guard. Half of us were slain in minutes. When we finally realized what was happening we barely managed to push them back to an old vault.

We closed the doors and sealed them. Both sides were broken, among them only a half-dozen initiates, among us, only myself and an elder, Daevlyr. So we waited. And waited. Days. Weeks. We could not but listen as they attacked each other in desperation, flesh ripping off bone...one after another...then simply silence when the last one died, hunger gnawing her gut.

We left. Daevlyr went his way after a time. He was...faded. More ghost than man. And I stayed behind. Seasons passed in a blur, I know not what I did, for the monotony made each moment indistinguishable for the next. And then the villagers came. Built their life. I watched over them. Helped them. Atonement, I think, was my reasoning. I had killed so many, seen so much blood...by defending them, I would see no more.

Or so I thought. It seems so foolish now. To think that peace could last. And now the legacy of Dryeareplith remains in the hands of but the youngest and weakest of the order, one to survive through cowardice and hope, and not for much longer yet." He pushes aside a bush to reveal a path.

"Here. Watch your step. The roads are not as inviting in the mountains as on the plains."

Linguz
2012-05-27, 11:03 PM
After hearing his tale, Aquila took to the air. If Jeth grabbed on and was truly weightless, she carried on. If he wasn't weightless, she was unable to take off and had to tell him so. Either way, she ends up in the sky, flyingabove the group. From above, she looks down to see if anything changed.

Aquila Spot: [roll0] (Guess she's busy or something like that >_<)
Nolan Spot: [roll1]

Cheesy74
2012-05-27, 11:05 PM
Jeth is indeed weightless, though he'll gently float back to the group after 75-ish more minutes.

Kelvin360
2012-05-27, 11:11 PM
Both Aquila and Nolan see that nothing has changed on the ground. Other than that red bird Nolan sees circling the top of Bulwadarr though, all's quiet.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-28, 04:35 AM
Anar, Dragon Shaman

He is most surprised by the nonchalance with which one of their companions changes it's form. He supposed that being unused to travelling in the company of adventurers would mean some getting used to the myriad arcane and exotic abilities they would demonstrate.

He swung up into the saddle and followed Iaral, intrigued by this conversation between the changer and this ranger. Perhaps I should record this story, he mused, though of course he'd have to liven it up somewhat, but the main points of a grand adventure were there, and his old profession had been all about telling stories of great adventures.

BShammie
2012-05-28, 06:17 AM
"... I'm sorry that happened to you. One moment."
Merinna backtracks and grabs the reigns of Jeth's horse, leading it back to the group. When Merinna returns, she continues the conversation. "What is Dryeareplith, was it the name of your group?"

(Probably shouldn't leave the horse behind.)

Kelvin360
2012-05-28, 12:12 PM
"Yes. That is what the rangers call......called themselves. We were based off an ancient protective order from the High Forest."

BShammie
2012-05-28, 01:06 PM
Merinna simply nods her head at this and continues to ride. Merinna tries her best to remember what she can of the High Forest, to avoid upsetting the elf any more than she already has.

Knowledge: History [roll0]
Knowledge: Geography [roll1]
Knowledge: Local [roll2]

Sorry, I wasn't sure what rolls were relevant.

Kelvin360
2012-05-29, 11:31 PM
History:

You remember vaguely that it's primarily populated by wood elves and treants. And something about evil demon sun elves and a war?

Geography:

It's somewhere in 'The North', which is the name those from Cormyr and the Dalelands have given to the area north of the High Moor and West of the Anauroch Desert.

Local:

You know that you're a ways north of the High Forest, but it's a little too far for anything 'local' to be known.

By this point one would assume Jeth is once again grounded, and the horses left behind (the pass is nowhere near roomy enough to take them in). Thusly, Iaral, Jeth, Merinna and Anar eventually reach a wall of boulders, just short enough to see over, but tall enough to conceal the group.

The Lifeless Valley remains empty, old campfires no longer in use, and the entrance to the mountain (if any) invisible from this vantage point.

"Ah, the lovely scent of scorched earth." Iaral remarks dryly. "Is there a plan?"

Linguz
2012-05-29, 11:34 PM
(You really didn't give them much to work with, so I'ma push it forward so that there is information.)

Nolan and Aquila flew on further than the party was, flying in a wide circle around the lifeless valley. Nolan kept looking down the whole time as Aquila navigated, so that he would get a good understanding about the grounds.

Kelvin360
2012-05-30, 12:36 AM
The valley is curved in the shape of a lightning bolt, it's ragged edges starting at the base of a hill that would come down from a small patch of woods at the edge of the plains and then skating the sides of Bulwadarr and an outcropping that makes up a sort of rock-shield between the sides of the valley and the base of Relemar.

Along the sides of Bulwadarr, at ground level, the lifeless rocks and dull gray terrain turn to patches of brown as they approach another, deeper woodland area. Clearly though, the place has seen better days. All the trees are dead, the grass roughly the same shade as mud, and no plant life swirls in the light wind that gusts down from the top of the mountain. You can see what looks like a caved-in cavern entrance, probably the old Coven headquarters.

Relemar, thankfully, appears to lack entrances, but you can see a large hole on Bulwadarr at ground level. Huge torches are just inside, though you can't see any giants lurking about.

As for the former campsite, all traces aside from the campfires (six or seven of them) have been removed, though you can still see impressions from tents, workbenches, carts and the like. Clearly they had set up quite the operation. But all is silent for now, Aquila and the shiny red bird the only signs of movement in a place that, not so long ago, was bustling with excitement.

Linguz
2012-05-30, 12:51 AM
Nolan sees the red bird on it and comments about it to Aquila. Both of them focus on it, trying to see if it really is a bird or if it's something else.

Nolan: [roll0]
Aquila: [roll1]

After doing so, they glide down to the group and Nolan tells them what he saw from above (including anything he learned about the bird).

Kelvin360
2012-05-30, 12:58 AM
Aquila notices it seems to sparkle.

Nolan flat-out realizes that a freaking red dragon is circling the peak.

Linguz
2012-05-30, 01:01 AM
When Nolan began to speak about the red bird, he said the following, "Yep. I was right. The peak is guarded by a dragon, so the fire giants should be in for a fight if they try to get the orb."

Kelvin360
2012-05-30, 01:11 AM
"Good then. Perhaps we can just wait...them...out.." Iaral realizes what he just said and turns away.

Linguz
2012-05-30, 01:32 AM
"They're in for a fight, but the dragon will eventually fall if they throw enough of their troops at him." (After all, they're bound to get crits every now and then that actually hurt the dragon.) "You can leave, but the dragon will fall sooner or later, unless we can get up there ourselves and defeat the giants. And when the dragon falls, our time will have run out. The fire giants will have acquired the orb of fire and then you" Nolan sits back in the saddle, waiting for Iaral's response.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-30, 03:56 AM
Anar Harlessen

Slay a dragon? He hadn't planned on getting involved with that, and he knew that to kill such a beast would require an extra force of will from him, but equally, the creature was a dark parody of true dragons and it must be slain.

But how, they would need to plan carefully, some sort of protection against fire certainly...

Suddenly the images of flames made him start and look up t the others.
"Perhaps the dragon doesn't know that it possesses the orb, or maybe it doesn't, for didn't Jeth say that any creature of it's element would gain tremendous power? Well Red Dragons are masters of fire themselves, and not of a benign temperament. This whole country would be ash in days if not hours."

Cheesy74
2012-05-30, 08:12 AM
"Red dragons are known for greed and covetousness, not for ambition. The creature likely thinks it a lovely centerpiece for its hoard and has not even looked into its powers. Regardless of how it is using the object, the only real option we have is to enter and attack the army from behind. Guerilla tactics will serve us best to avoid fighting their full forces, but beyond that our tactical choices are limited. Perhaps you have a route to take within, Iaral?" He studies his elven companion's reaction carefully.

Jeth grins and clenches his staff. He had wanted to slay a dragon for years.

Kelvin360
2012-05-30, 04:44 PM
"The Guardians...had little contact or knowledge of the alleged dwarves, as far as I know. And tunnels are not my forte to begin with. I am afraid that their entrance is the only one I know of, and once inside, my only aid will be that of battle." He takes out and examines an arrow composed of pure glowing ice. "Which isn't to say that will not be considerable."

Linguz
2012-05-31, 02:19 PM
Nolan nods and calls out to Aquila in Auran to fly again and landed further along, near the opening of the cave to wait for the rest of the group.

Cheesy74
2012-05-31, 02:29 PM
Jeth taps his staff against the ground twice, mumbles an arcane phrase, and vanishes, instantly reappearing next to Nolan. He nods at the monk momentarily before turning back to the group, awaiting their approach.

Manifested psionic dimension door, though I manifested it as a full-round action so it cost 2pp less than normal.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-31, 03:16 PM
Aran, Dragon Shaman

Well it seemed the rest of the group are showing their hands...

Aran drew his sword and followed the pair, keeping a watch out for anything unusual trying to take them unaware.

Keep Senses aura on.

Listen: [roll1]

BShammie
2012-05-31, 03:23 PM
Merinna follows Anar to the rest of the group. She hopes that they can avoid a fight with the dragon, but isn't entirely sure how they can get the orb without conflict.

I suppose I'll roll for Spot and Listen too.
Listen:[roll0]
Spot:[roll1]

Kelvin360
2012-06-01, 01:17 AM
Aside from the dragon (which now appears to have found a perch atop the mountain), nothing seems amiss, and the entrance to the mountain is empty, waiting for the footsteps of the bold into the darkness...

Bold adventurers with feet? Sounds like a group I know...

BShammie
2012-06-01, 06:36 AM
Merinna pulls out her ioun stone and places it by her head. It glows light blue and spins around her head. Merinna begins to creep into the mountain.
"Well, there's no point in waiting out here. Let's go."

Move Silently:[roll]1d20+19

Cheesy74
2012-06-01, 08:04 AM
Jeth follows at a fair distance, making no effort to move silently. His staff begins to glow brightly, illuminating his surroundings. He keeps a careful eye out for anyone attempting to ambush the group, though he doesn't expect to see much.

[roll0] Spot
[roll1] Listen

Linguz
2012-06-01, 11:04 AM
Nolan and Aquila look into the cave before entering it. He jumps off her back before doing so, though.

Nolan goes to Merinna's side and walks beside her, with Aquila behind them.

If the cave isn't large enough for Aquila (10 feet tall), then she'll be waiting outside.

N, Move Silent: [roll0]
A, Move Silent: [roll1]
N, Listen: [roll2]
A, Listen: [roll3]
N, Spot: [roll4]
A, Spot: [roll5]

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-06-01, 11:29 AM
Aran, Dragon Shaman

Aran steels himself and follows the others into the darkness, sword raised, and dragon enhanced senses alert.

Kelvin360
2012-06-02, 11:22 PM
The tunnel was built for giants, so Aquila can move about comfortably, but can't fly. The tunnel goes inward for about 80 feet or so before tilting up slightly, the hastily-carved walls turning to fine dwarven stonework.

The torches on the walls keep the area illuminated, and eventually the tunnel opens up to an enormous area. The ceiling fades above your heads, so far up you can't see it, and the open area could house a city and a half, easily.

It looks like there used to be many other tunnels leading out and down, but a great majority have collapsed, leaving only three open - Yours, one to the right, and one you can barely see on the other side of the place. Hill giants, ogres and trolls mill around, but based on what you've heard about the numbers of the army, this band of a dozen or so can't be more than a fourth of it, if that.

What used to be a dwarven fortress and housing area has turned into a makeshift barracks, with several stone buildings dotting around, and a large forge in one corner filled with lava. Nolan and Aquila can see the outline of what looks like a huge man in the flames, hammering away at a flaming sword.

This section of the mountain is big enough to where the party in unnoticed...for now. However, with all the giants about, that could soon change.

Linguz
2012-06-03, 11:05 AM
Nolan got onto Aquila and looked to the path on the right. "I say we take that one, though we'll have to either fight our way through or go sneaky. I'm sure I can get past unnoticed, flying and all that, not so sure about you all. So, shall we fight or hide?"

Cheesy74
2012-06-04, 01:13 PM
Jeth nods in agreement. "I can teleport the less stealthy party members directly there, so I suggest we hide," he rasps. "Anyone not absolutely confident in their ability to sneak past the troops, grasp my hand. My magic is, unfortunately, only powerful enough to bring two of you."

Jeth squints and reopens his eyes, which are now a solid violet.

I activate my Psychic Meditation for the day to activate the Crown chakra, giving me a +3 to natural armor for the next four hours.

BShammie
2012-06-04, 01:23 PM
Merinna reaches up in the air and retrieves her ioun stone, since it's bright enough here to see without it. "I'm sure I can get to the tunnel without being spotted. You should take the others." Merinna lifts her left thumb and grasps her Wand of Swift Invisibility as it ejects from the bracer. "Even if I am seen, I won't be visible for long."

Kelvin360
2012-06-04, 04:50 PM
Once the others start to look around, they might notice Iaral just up and disappeared. However, there is a note on Jeth's shoulder.

Something tells me I will be fine. I will meet you at that entrance and render assistance midway if need be.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-06-04, 05:57 PM
Anar, Dragon Shaman

Though it hurt his pride to admit so, he was aware that hiding was not one of his foremost skills, so he silently approached Jeth and held his hand, nodding when their eyes met.

Cheesy74
2012-06-05, 04:18 PM
After reading over the note that had appeared on his shoulder, Jeth sighs, placing his staff head against the ground and drawing a small, dimly glowing circle. He steps within, pulling Anar along with him, and reappears at the tunnel entrance with a brief flash of light.

Psi Dimension Door does have a Visual display, so the light might be bright enough to get us noticed.

Linguz
2012-06-05, 04:20 PM
Aquila took to the air and flew high in the dungeon, towards the opening.

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silent: [roll1]

BShammie
2012-06-05, 06:23 PM
Merinna follows everyone else slowly, doing her best to avoid the attention of the giants.

Move Silently: [roll0]
Hide: [roll1]

Kelvin360
2012-06-05, 06:54 PM
If the bright flash wasn't enough to get them noticed, the ridiculously conspicuous giant eagle taking off certainly was. In fact, every giant in spotting distance (three ogres and two hill giants - about half the population) comes running to wherever Aquila's landing.

Iaral, from a shadowy corner, just facepalms and nocks a couple arrows, ready to give fire support from near the rightside hallway.

Linguz
2012-06-05, 06:58 PM
(Spot, 14 to 33. Enough to see things that aren't trying to be sneaky, I'm guessing.)

Seeing that the giants had clearly noticed her, Aquila informed Nolan and descended down to the group. If she had stayed in the air, there would be more enemies coming for them.

Nolan jumped off her back and the ring activated, lowering him down at a safe speed until he touched the ground. "Guess stealth isn't what we're going for anymore."

(Question: How is the tunnel? Like, dimensions and such.)

BShammie
2012-06-05, 07:04 PM
If I need to roll to know about the giants and I fail, Merinna just keeps heading to the tunnel. If I don't need to roll for perception or I pass the roll then she does everything outside the spoiler.
Hide: [roll2]
Move Silently (If I failed my perception rolls): [roll3]
Merinna curses and draws her bow. She aims and prepares to shoot at a giant.
She readies an action to shoot at whatever giant get closest to the rest of the party first and acts aggressively.

Cheesy74
2012-06-05, 07:11 PM
Jeth grins and brandishes his staff, swinging it through the air and tearing a hole in space. A white, pulsating figure begins to crawl through, superficially resembling a seven-foot-tall warrior wielding a massive hammer.

"Let's fight, then," he quips cockily.

Next round a level 4 astral construct (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/astralConstruct.htm) with the Trip and Power Attack abilities will be at my service. I'm casting it for the duration of the round, though.

I'm currently at 49pp. I'm budgeting about 19pp more to this fight (more only if necessary).

Also, the light was not quite that bright. Just bright enough to necessitate a tough spot check, not an illuminating flash. See here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#visual) for more details.

Kelvin360
2012-06-05, 07:37 PM
No, you don't need to make a check to detect a group of running, howling giants chasing you, Merinna.

The tunnel is about 20 feet high and 15 feet long. A bit roomy for your group, but a slightly cramped mining space for the giants. It gets worse, though: You can already see that some of the split-off tunnels further in have collapsed, even ones farther back. If you take a wrong turn, you might find yourself at a literal dead end. The winding spaces continue on for about fifty feet before hitting a sharp turn, past which you can't see.

(If everyone involved in fighting could post their Hit points and roll initiative, that would be marvelous. I'll keep track of a majority of the battle statistics from there.)

Linguz
2012-06-05, 07:43 PM
Nolan: 35/35
Initiative: [roll0]
AC: 17

-----

Aquila: 43/43
Initiative: [roll1]
AC: 19

Cheesy74
2012-06-05, 07:43 PM
Jeth has 40 hp and an AC of 23 (touch 13 flat-footed 21). His initiative is [roll0]. (****.)

BShammie
2012-06-05, 07:59 PM
Merinna
AC 15
HP 49/49
Initiative [roll0]

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-06-06, 06:03 AM
AC: 24
HP: 80

Kelvin360
2012-06-06, 07:38 PM
As the second Ogre (who was closest to the tunnel) closes in on the group, he doesn't have quite enough time to stop and look around, giving Merinna time to shoot at him before anything else even happens, but it prompts him to focus on her afterward. (Merinna, if you could make an attack and damage roll against the flat-footed ogre.)

One of the hill giants and another ogre are closing rapidly. (One round until they're within striking distance.)

The last two are lagging a bit behind. (Three Rounds until distance closed.)

(Jeth, if you'd kindly roll intitiative and HP for your construct as well. Everyone, you have this round to yourselves as you see fit. As it stands, the order is thus -

Iaral
Aquila
Nolan
HG 1 (1 round)
Ogre 1 (3 rounds)
Merinna (Shoots first thanks to delayed action)
Anar
Ogre 2
HG 2 (3 rounds)
Jeth
Ogre 3 (1 round)

So you have this round for Ogre 2 and preperations, next round to deal with HG 1 and Ogre 3, a one-round breather period, and then the last two. Choose your actions for the current round, watch the fireworks, and come out swinging!)

Cheesy74
2012-06-06, 07:49 PM
[roll0] - construct HP
The construct acts on my turn.

Jeth points his staff at the charging ogre as his eyes flare. He grins wildly. The construct charges and swings its hammer viciously at the ogre. Mid-air, the hammer's head melts and distorts, growing a hundred grasping tendrils.
[roll1] to-hit (power attack -2)
[roll2] bludgeoning damage
[roll3] trip attempt (if the above hits, attempt cannot be reciprocated if failed)
Following the charge my construct will have a -2 to AC until its next turn, leaving it with an AC of 20.

A silver aura begins to surround Jeth as he chants.
Jeth manifests Vigor and gains 40 temporary hit points for the next 8 minutes. I have 41pp left and am budgeting 11pp more toward this fight.

BShammie
2012-06-06, 07:56 PM
Attack Roll: [roll0]
If Critical Threat: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] + Sneak Attack [roll3]
If Critical Add: [roll4] because of the x3 multiplier

Merinna lets her arrow fly at the ogre.

Linguz
2012-06-06, 08:32 PM
Aquila flapped her wings once and kept the ogre in her focus (activating dodge on it). She jetted off, striking the ogre with a claw as she passed by and then turning skyward. (She has flyby attack, so she can attack while moving. The enemy does get an attack on her, though. Her AC against him is 20.)

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Check: [roll2]
Critical: [roll3]

Nolan dashed forward and aimed a punch at the ogre's stomach.

Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
Check: [roll6]
Critical: [roll7]
(All the damage here is not lethal.

Kelvin360
2012-06-06, 08:36 PM
The construct never actually got a chance to trip the ogre, as it goes down right after being hit with an arrow, claws and then a fist. Out cold and bleeding, but not dead quite yet.

The next two, however, are still an imminent problem.

(I'll wait for Anar to post his action. The construct can change it's for thsi round, too. Also, Merinna can still do something, since the attack was readied before initiative was rolled, so I'll rule it as a 'surprise round attack'.

Laconic: Merinna, Anar, and Jeth's construct can do stuff for a round before the next two close.)

Cheesy74
2012-06-06, 09:01 PM
The construct rushes to Merinna's side and holds its hammer aloft, prepared to strike the next foe to come within its reach.

Can I use the rolls from before for its next attack? They're too great to give up.

Kelvin360
2012-06-06, 09:11 PM
Partially as an apology for screwing up the intitative order, sure.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-06-07, 05:50 AM
Anar, Dragon Shaman

Now they were closing, he knew being alert wouldn't help, so he sought the power he felt bubbling beneath the surface and moulded it, and when he released it felt a thrill of power shoot through him: the strength of dragons.

Swift, change aura to power aura. Everyone (including construct and Aquila if she is within 30ft) gain +2 to melee damage rolls.

He then began his own chant, this one far more melodic and haunting than Jeth's arcane babble. He wove the strands of music around the group, music that made their very weapons sing with heat of dragon fire.

Inspire Courage, Dragonfire Inspiration.
+1 morale bonus on saves vs charm and fear.
1d6 fire damage weapons.

Linguz
2012-06-07, 09:28 AM
Guessing that we've all got an action now to do before the other ones arrives.

Nolan whistles and mounts Aquila. He tells the group, "I'll come in from behind, or above. Don't worry." With that, he says something in Auran and the two are in the air, about 40 feet off the ground.

Ride: [roll0] (20 or higher makes mounting a free action. Anything else makes it a move action.

(Reposted, after removing the first, to add the roll.)

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-06-07, 01:02 PM
Ok, adding 2nd round action as well

Anar, Dragon Shaman

He stopped chanting, knowing that the power of the music will linger yet. He then drew on the 'inner ice' the power that lay just beneath the surface and openning his mouth sent out a dazzling stream: pure white ice, mixed with ephemeral blue light that shot through the air towards the approaching foe.
He knew it's bitter cold would chill any creature it met, and the lethargy would slow them considerably as their muscles seized up and they froze.

Using breath weapon from being a dragon born: 40ft line, 3d8 [cold] damage, DC 19 reflex save for half. (Hoping to hit at least one, possibly two or more enemies)

Entangling Exhalation (http://dndtools.eu/feats/races-of-the-dragon--83/entangling-exhalation--900/)
(This means damage is [roll0] halved, or half again on a successful save, plus 1d6 cold damage each round at the start of Anar's turn for 1d4 turns, plus is entangled).

Can't use this breath weapon again for [roll1] rounds. Woops, ignore the +3, I didn't use maximise breath so it's just 3 rounds.

BShammie
2012-06-07, 06:39 PM
Merinna fires three arrows at the hill giant.

First Round Action:
Rapid Shot Full Attack
Attack Roll1: [roll0]
Attack Roll2: [roll1]
Attack Roll3: [roll2]
Damage Roll1: [roll3]+[roll4] Fire
Damage Roll2: [roll5]+[roll6] Fire
Damage Roll3: [roll7]+[roll8] Fire
Atk1 Critconfirm: [roll9]
Atk2 CritConfirm: [roll10]
Atk3 CritConfirm: [roll11]
Crit Damage1: [roll12]
Crit Damage2: [roll13]
Crit Damage3: [roll14]

Edit: Disregard the fire damage, I didn't realize Merinna went before Anar did in the initiative order.

Kelvin360
2012-06-07, 07:43 PM
The Hill Giant and the Ogre rush into the fray, but don't get a chance to attack just yet.

The Hill giant spontaneously grows three ice arrows in its neck and stumbles forward a bit, howling in pain. Iaral nocks three more and steps from the shadows nearby. "Your victory is not complete yet, you bastard. Not quite yet!"

Aquila and Nolan fly off above, and Merinna's arrows bring the hill giant low, the body slamming into the floor.

The ogre becomes an icy victim, trying to dive out of the way but comically slipping and sliding instead until it comes to an almost complete halt, frost overtaking its body.

However, the slipping and sliding leads it directly into the waiting hammer of a certain construct, and another body joins the rest.

Meanwhile, the last two are still some distance away, giving the entire group time to prepare..

(Okay everyone. You have a 1-round 'rest' period to either run up or take defensive actions. Be sure to note in your posts what actions are 'round 1' and which are 'round 2', which will be actions against the giants when they arrive.)

Linguz
2012-06-07, 07:54 PM
Nolan and Aquila stay in the air, watching the enemies. Aquila is past the group, in terms of ground position, and Nolan is ready to jump down. He tells her to lower altitude, going down to roughly 30 feet. This would allow Nolan to jump down quickly (in a single move action), and not get hurt due to the ring of feather fall he has.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-06-07, 08:50 PM
Anar, Dragon Shaman

Together they had made short work of the creatures, and Anar was fully prepared to push the advantage. His ire was up and the dragon-inside was pulsing, raging for blood.

He circled, looking for an advantage, already tapping the diminished well of power within him...

Round 1... Nope, I got nothing...
Anar moves as fast as possible to get in a position to use his 15ft cone breath weapon next turn.

Round 2. Move again if necessary. Anar uses the Dragon Shaman breath weapon.
Maximise breath. 4d6= 24 damage woo! DC 19 for half.
Can't use again for [roll0] rounds.

BShammie
2012-06-08, 07:19 AM
Merinna, not seeing a point in changing her strategy, looses more arrows.
Round One
These arrows are being shot at the ogre, unless the ogre dies. If the ogre dies than the Hill Giant is the target.
Rapid Shot
Attack 1: [roll0]
Attack 2: [roll1]
Attack 3: [roll2]
Crit Confirm 1: [roll3]
Crit Confirm 2: [roll4]
Crit Confirm 3: [roll5]
Damage 1: [roll6] + [roll7] Fire
Damage 2: [roll8] + [roll9] Fire
Damage 3: [roll10] + [roll11] Fire
Crit 1: [roll12]
Crit 2: [roll13]
Crit 3: [roll14]

Round Two
These arrows are also being shot at the ogre, unless the ogre dies. If the ogre dies than the Hill Giant is the target.
Rapid Shot
Attack 1: [roll15]
Attack 2: [roll16]
Attack 3: [roll17]
Crit Confirm 1: [roll18]
Crit Confirm 2: [roll19]
Crit Confirm 3: [roll20]
Damage 1: [roll21] + [roll22] Fire
Damage 2: [roll23] + [roll24] Fire
Damage 3: [roll25] + [roll26] Fire
Crit 1: [roll27]
Crit 2: [roll28]
Crit 3: [roll29]

If Point Blank Shot is relevant by this time, then add +1 to daamge and the attack rolls.

Kelvin360
2012-06-08, 02:30 PM
(Linguz, you should probably make a spot check to determine if you get the timing right on where you land. Also, which one are you aiming for, if at all? As far as I can tell, you will likely be able to still get in an attack from Aquila at least, and Nolan if he succeeds in his aim.)

Cheesy74
2012-06-08, 05:30 PM
Round 1: Jeth rushes to his construct's side, joining Merinna. He lowers his staff on the two charging giants and raises a hand, pointing forward. His construct moves to intercede between him and the giants. Jeth begins to focus as his staff's head glows brightly. Endless tiny balls of electricity begin to spring from the staff, whirling around Jeth in a progressively brighter display.

Round 2: The moment the giants come close enough (or immediately if they're within 180 feet), Jeth jabs his staff forward. The sea of electrical motes surges forward, rushing toward the giants with immense speed and surrounding them, pelting them with hundreds of electric explosions.

Manifest Energy Missile [Electric], maximum augmentation, aimed at both of them. DC 25 reflex save half. I have 33 pp left and am budgeting 3 more toward this fight, though it looks like I might not have to.
Damage: [roll0]

Linguz
2012-06-08, 07:19 PM
(Linguz, you should probably make a spot check to determine if you get the timing right on where you land. Also, which one are you aiming for, if at all? As far as I can tell, you will likely be able to still get in an attack from Aquila at least, and Nolan if he succeeds in his aim.)

Nolan intends to jump down on the one in the back, which ever one that is. If both are equal in time, he targets the ogre.

Linguz
2012-06-08, 07:26 PM
Round 2: The Attack

When the giant and ogre are close to the group, Nolan will jump off to try to land on them (during round 1, so he lands at the end of round 1, it's a readied action), and Aquila will dive down (at the start of round 2). Nolan will unleash a flurry of blows while Aquila attacks with a claw.

Nolan:Attack 1: [roll0] Check 1: [roll1]
Attack 2: [roll2] Check 2: [roll3]
Attack 3: [roll4] Check 3: [roll5]
Damage 1: [roll6] Crit 1: [roll7]
Damage 2: [roll8] Crit 2: [roll9]
Damage 3: [roll10] Crit 3: [roll11]

Aquila:Attack: [roll12] Check: [roll13]
Damage: [roll14] Crit: [roll15]

Sorry 'bout the double post.

Kelvin360
2012-06-08, 07:38 PM
Round 1 -

Merinna's arrows hit home as Aquila swoops over head, but the ogre runs forward, yelling. The hill giant takes an arrow to the chest and growls. This one, like the last, is coated in ice, and seems to boil the skin of the giant.

Round 2 -

Nolan drops on the hill giant as it meets the group, the ogre having fallen thanks to one of Merinna's arrows. The other thuds into the hill giant, who steps over the bodies of his companions to take Anar's cold breath fully. The electrical blizzard also swarms around it, but it's already dead, courtesy of the bird/monk tag team beforehand.

"Well," Iaral remarks as he steps from the corner to the rest of the group. "It seems my fears are completely and totally unfounded."

Cheesy74
2012-06-08, 07:49 PM
Jeth shakes and breathes heavily from the thrill of combat and the surges of power still echoing through him. "Hahaha...Haha!" he cackles vigorously and uncontrollably, stopping himself only after realizes they're still trying to sneak somewhere.
"I haven't cast a spell like that in thirty years," he muses.

Linguz
2012-06-08, 07:51 PM
Nolan walks back to the group and Aquila lands by his side. "Yes, yes they were. Shall we carry on now? Or do we want to attract more of them?"

Experience?

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-06-08, 08:01 PM
Anar, Dragon Shaman

Anar closes his mouth, the storm of ice in front of him blowing itself out. Their foes were dead but Anar still glanced around, looking for more to fight. His blood was up, and a vicious fury upon him, which he had to wrestle to subdue.
After a few seconds he turns to the others and more curtly than he intends, says: "Let's go, we've already fought more than we planned, and our attempts at subtlety won't have been assisted by that display." Well certainly not by his chanting and the various pyrotechnics and magical phenomena.

Kelvin360
2012-06-09, 01:57 AM
(Yes, everyone gets 1,450 xp each, assuming they don't search the bodies. I'll give you all a further-in description of your tunnel in the morning.)

BShammie
2012-06-09, 08:20 AM
"Well, we didn't do too bad there, did we?"Merinna chuckles a bit, "Come on, we should go. The giants will find the bodies eventually, then they'll know we're here."
Merinna starts to head down the tunnel.

Move Silently: [roll0]
Hide: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]
Listen: [roll3]

Do you want me to keep track of regular arrows?

EDIT: I accidentally had to many "L's" in my rolls in my last post, so it was deleted and replaced with this one.

Cheesy74
2012-06-09, 11:35 AM
Jeth looks side to side in confusion. "Are we not to see what they have for our use? We will not fail for five minutes spent searching the bodies."

In its last few minutes of cohesion, Jeth has his construct pick up the bodies, shake them vigorously, and hold them upside down, scanning their clothing (and whatever drops to the ground) for items of value.

[roll0] Search
[roll1] Construct Aid Another

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-06-09, 11:58 AM
Anar, Dragon Shaman

Anar glanced around wearily, cautious of the others catching up, but he couldn't resist waiting to see what treasures they might discover. The thought of gems and gold drew him, as did the promise of magic.

BShammie
2012-06-09, 01:31 PM
Merinna watches the construct lift the giants' bodies. "Hmm, alright. You handle that, I'll watch the tunnel."

Merinna readies an action to shoot anything coming down the tunnel.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-06-09, 02:27 PM
Anar, Dragon Shaman

ON hearing Merinna's words, Anar reaches deep inside finding the heightened senses of a dragon and bestowing them upon his comrades.

Change draconic aura to Senses.
+2 bonus to Initiative, spot and listen.

Kelvin360
2012-06-09, 05:05 PM
Do you want me to keep track of regular arrows?

(Please do.)

The tunnel splits off into many various side passages, while the main tunnel remains fairly straight. Just from the first few steps, there are a few branches, but all of them lead to cave-ins or unfinished dig sites. No enemies lie in wait here, though Merinna can vaguely see some kind of light from the very end of the tunnel as it hits a wall and splits left. That end is about 75 feet away, with about a dozen other passages between you and it.

Treasure -

The various giants drop the following:

A few sacks of gold
Some minor gems
An oil painting of some random giant
5 flasks of a sickly green fluid
Two wands
And Two potions

Cheesy74
2012-06-09, 08:22 PM
Jeth slips each of the items that he finds into his sleeves, where they vanish without even a bulge in the fabric. "We will handle their identification and allocation at a later date."
With that, he follows Merinna into the tunnels.

What color/consistency are the potions? Any interesting marks or patterns on the wands? What color/specularity/pattern are the gems?

Kelvin360
2012-06-09, 09:34 PM
(Potion 1 is yellow, with sharp scent vaguely reminiscent of ozone, and a thick texture.

Potion 2 is black and soupy, without any odor, though for some reason the color reminds you of an arachnid's carapace.

Both wands have the same arcane symbol on them, which may require a knowledge roll.

The gems are: An amethyst, a red spinel and two bloodstones. Someone with Appraise might be able to gauge their value.)

Cheesy74
2012-06-09, 09:35 PM
Oh, I do enjoy Knowledge: Arcana rolls. :D
[roll0] NAME. THAT. SYMBOL.

Kelvin360
2012-06-09, 10:14 PM
(The runes are 'Bear' and 'Endure'.)

Cheesy74
2012-06-09, 10:21 PM
Jeth glances over the runes on the wands as he pockets them, nodding. "Bear's Endurance and Endure Elements, I'd guess," he mumbles to himself. "I'll keep these for a rainy day."

Kelvin360
2012-06-11, 02:33 PM
(I'll assume our intrepid group is proceeding down the tunnel.)

As expected, nearly all of the branching mini-tunnels to the sides are blocked as you proceed. As it happens, the light at the end of the hallway comes from the left, where a torch is hung. Another blocked pathway lies att he end of this hall, but two carved doorways are on its sides. The smell of food emits from one, and a loud commotion from the other.

The one from which food comes is the closest, on the right side of the hall, about 20 feet away as you turn the corner. The other is on the left side, about 50 feet away. The commotion sounds like boisterous conversation, but not angry. More...rowdy.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-06-11, 04:07 PM
Anar, Dragon Shaman

Anar turns to the others: "Your thoughts? I'd say we have more chance getting through a less crowded room, than one with that in it." He says, motioning towards the rowdy tunnel.

And putting an end to the giants will be considerably easier with access to their food... A small part of him said, though he tried to suppress the thought.

Linguz
2012-06-11, 06:46 PM
Nolan nodded. "Most likely, unless we can hide among them as one of them. You said that you saw humans with them, didn't you? So we could potentially fit in. Still, I say the kitchen."

BShammie
2012-06-12, 06:32 AM
She agrees with the others. "Yeah, we should go to the one on the right. If we go through the other we would have to leave the ones in the kitchen behind us, which I'd rather not do."

Cheesy74
2012-06-12, 06:58 AM
Jeth nods his consensus. "To the storeroom or kitchen, then."

Kelvin360
2012-06-12, 02:42 PM
The kitchen (for, it becomes immediately obvious, that is what this is) is filled with used silverware and cooking supplies. The corners are piled, and several shelves dot the walls - almost all of them empty.

A single ogre stands over a larger pot, mixing what appears to be strew. Four large flames are cooking beef and some disturbingly humanoid-looking remains in front of him. How he got the flames so large isn't immediately obvious.

However, it becomes obvious when one of the flames actually steps out from around the food and points a fiery limb at the party, murmuring something in Ignan. The three other flames recede, turning into human-looking (but still large) bundles of fire.

The ogre turns around and drops his jaw. Then he shouts something, hefts his wooden spoon, and charges.

(Initiative, y'all!)

Linguz
2012-06-12, 03:19 PM
Nolan gets ready and tells everyone, "Take care of the fires. I'll handle the ogre."

Nolan: [roll0] (23, due to the aura.)
Aquila: [roll1] (22, due to the aura.)

(How is the roof in this place? Is there a path to the ogre that Nolan can take that wouldn't provoke AoO from the flame creatures? And how about the dimensions of the area?)

Kelvin360
2012-06-12, 03:38 PM
(The roof is about 20 feet up, and the ogre is in front of the group, so that's a clear path. However, so far, the Elementals have initiative.

As for dimensions, the five of them are at the back of the room, and the middle has a table with various dishes on it. The table is 10 feet long and 5 feet wide.

It's facing you width-first, the five-foot side giving about ten feet of space between that and the wall. To the left is about 15 feet of space between that long side and the wall, 20 feet between the right long side and the wall, and the wide side facing away from you is currently blocked by the elementals.)

BShammie
2012-06-12, 04:18 PM
Initiative: [roll0] Aura raises it to 16.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-06-12, 07:34 PM
Anar, Dragon Shaman

Remember everyone has +2 to their initiatives due to Senses aura.

Cheesy74
2012-06-12, 07:42 PM
Jeth smirks and brandishes his staff.
[roll0]
okay seriously what the hell

Kelvin360
2012-06-12, 08:32 PM
(Just to be clear before we officially start - How is the party oarganized [who's on first, what's on second, I don't know's on third, etc.]?)

Linguz
2012-06-12, 08:35 PM
(I have no idea. Since I doubt anyone else has any ideas, I'll just say that Nolan is at the front with Aquila close behind him.)

Cheesy74
2012-06-12, 08:56 PM
(Jeth's holding down the fort in the back, itching to freeze the elementals solid.)

Kelvin360
2012-06-12, 10:55 PM
(I'm picturing, from back of the room to hall -

Elementals
Ogre
Nolan/Aquila
Anar
Iaral
Merinna
Jeth

Hopefully that's agreeable with everyone.)

All four elementals charge the frontliners, brushing past the ogre and setting some nearby wooden objects on fire. Two go for Aquila, two for Nolan.

Nolan takes a hit from one, but due to an instinctive dodge-and-weave reflex so he doesn't get set on fire (he hopes), the other misses him. (Make a reflex save to avoid getting set on fire)

Aquila, however, manages to avoid both attacks entirely.

Three of the flaming creatures sprout ice arrows, and they hiss angrily.

Nolan, Aquila, Merinna - you're up next.

Linguz
2012-06-15, 12:48 AM
(For everyone's use, created by me with Kelvin's help for locations. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiZcaAqLuX0TdGtERUtrWDVnTzhkYXAtM0lXQ1N6N 3c#gid=0) By the way, the elementals are 8 feet tall.)

(Also, how much did Nolan get hurt from that elemental?)

Nolan ducks downwards, trying to avoid catching on fire [roll0]. He attacks the elemental directly in front of him with a barrage of fists.
Attack: [roll1] Check: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] Crit: [roll4]
Reflex: [roll5]

Attack: [roll6] Check: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8] Crit: [roll9]
Reflex: [roll10]

Attack: [roll11] Check: [roll12]
Damage: [roll13] Crit: [roll14]
Reflex: [roll15]

If the enemy is to live, somehow, he is knocked down due to the Knockdown feat. If Nolan does 10+ damage on a single attack, he does a free trip attempt. Which is a 1d20+15.

Also, cleave. If any of these attacks defeat the elemental, he does another attack on the one directly to its right. And then continues the remainder of his attacks, if any, on that one.

Aquila does a full on attack on the elemental next to the one that Nolan attacked. At the same time, she calls out, "Anyone who can, please attack the ogre.
Claw:
Attack: [roll16] Check: [roll17]
Damage: [roll18] Crit: [roll19]
Reflex: [roll20]

Claw:
Attack: [roll21] Check: [roll22]
Damage: [roll23] Crit: [roll24]
Reflex: [roll25]

Beak:
Attack: [roll26] Check: [roll27]
Damage: [roll28] Crit: [roll29]
Reflex: [roll30]

Kelvin360
2012-06-15, 01:17 AM
(He got knocked down to 24 hit points, not including potential fire damage.)

Aquila lands a strike with her claws, managing to avoid immolation, but still heating herself up a bit. (3 fire damage)

Nolan himself downs his elemental in this first two blows, but not only is he singed, he's alight. (Nolan, you take 1 damage and are on fire, and so will have to make reflex saves each round until it's out. Also, your third attack is a hit and will kill either the elemental to your left or right as you choose, though you'll take another 1d6 damage from it.)

Merinna acts next, but what will she do? *insert foreboding soundtrack*

Linguz
2012-06-15, 01:24 AM
Nolan's on fire right now, as he takes down the elemental in front of him and the elemental to its left with a kick. Though, while doing so, he also kinda burns some more. ([roll0] Hope you don't mind, felt like rolling it.)

(Also, reflex saves? I think you mean use a move action to put it out next round. Still, he's got Wholeness of Body. Worst case scenario, he'll heal up for 16 himself.)

Kelvin360
2012-06-15, 02:37 AM
(Eh, some of the rules can get redundant. I think am fairly certain that either option is allowed, I.E. if your reflex sucks you can use the move action.)

BShammie
2012-06-16, 08:14 AM
Merinna shoots her arrows at the Ogre.

Rapid Shot Full Attack
Attack Roll1: [roll0]
Attack Roll2:[roll1]
Attack Roll3: [roll2]
Confirm1: [roll3]
Confirm2: [roll4]
Confirm3: [roll5]
Damage1: [roll6]
Damage2: [roll7]
Damage3: [roll8]
Crit1: [roll9]
Crit2: [roll10]
Crit3: [roll11]

If something hasn't had it's turn during the first round of combat, it is considered Flat Footed right? If they aren't considered Flat Footed than ignore the sneak attack.
Sneak Attack1: [roll12]
Sneak Attack2: [roll13]
Sneak Attack3: [roll14]

Kelvin360
2012-06-16, 11:43 AM
The ogre takes an arrow in the knee (sorry, couldn't resist) and roars at the adventurers angrily. Then he charges, taking the place of the two slain elementals and looming over Nolan.

The spatula flies harmlessly over his head, but it's an impressive sight, eh!

Cheesy74
2012-06-16, 11:23 PM
Jeth's staff twirls through the air, leaving a glowing ring that, even as it begins to form, congeals ice crystals into the air around it. He flicks his staff briefly and the ring begins to spin more and more rapidly, until it is shooting out frozen energy in all directions. He raises his staff high and brings it to the ground, sending the ring hurtling toward one of the elementals. It ricochets haphazardly throughout the room, slamming directly into the ogre and finally impacting the second fire elemental, exploding into a burst of ice and intense cold.

Manifesting Energy Missile [cold], maximum augmentation. DC 23 fortitude save to resist.
[roll0] cold damage. The fire elementals take 1.5x this amount (52).

I have 25pp left but even if this attack doesn't kill them they won't survive the round.

Kelvin360
2012-06-17, 06:29 PM
The entire party gets to gloriously witness the answers to two questions -

1. What do two fire elementals and an ogre look like frozen solid?

2. What did Belkar mean when he said he was going to do so much damage that they'd go around to positive HP from negative?

This. (500 xp for everybody)

"This was unfortunate." Iaral remarks. "I reccommend any of us who are religious begin praying that no one in the other room heard us."

Linguz
2012-06-17, 06:32 PM
"If they did, they'd be fighting us one at a time, with their bodies being too large to move more than one at a time past the entrance." Nolan goes over to the middle of the room and looks around, taking in the room.

Aquila tilted her head in the direction of the door and sharpened her ears and tries to hear if anything has changed outside. [roll0]

(Well, that word, even though it has a perfectly normal definition [Tilt (something) in a particular direction] isn't allowed...)

Kelvin360
2012-06-17, 08:10 PM
The zerg rush knocked a few dirty dishes off the table, and the pots that used to be covered in flames are now getting cold, but other than that the room is the same as it was before - that is to say, uninteresting.

Oh, and Aquila goes deaf for a few seconds with no explanation, but everyone lacking that condition can easily still hear the sounds of a party/fight across the hall.

Linguz
2012-06-17, 08:12 PM
The kitchen (for, it becomes immediately obvious, that is what this is) is filled with used silverware and cooking supplies. The corners are piled, and several shelves dot the walls - almost all of them empty.

A single ogre stands over a larger pot, mixing what appears to be strew. Four large flames are cooking beef and some disturbingly humanoid-looking remains in front of him. How he got the flames so large isn't immediately obvious.

However, it becomes obvious when one of the flames actually steps out from around the food and points a fiery limb at the party, murmuring something in Ignan. The three other flames recede, turning into human-looking (but still large) bundles of fire.

The ogre turns around and drops his jaw. Then he shouts something, hefts his wooden spoon, and charges.

(This is all we know about the kitchen right now.)

Nolan looks to see if there's any additional exits out of the kitchen.

Kelvin360
2012-06-17, 08:23 PM
Just the front entrance, though if you wanted to spend a few days and had pickaxes handy, you could probably dig a new one.

BShammie
2012-06-19, 08:13 AM
Merinna retrieves her Wand of Lesser Vigor from her bracer and points it at the monk. "Here Nolan."
UMD: [roll0] (Needs to be 20 or above)

Cheesy74
2012-06-19, 11:04 AM
"I doubt I have enough mental capacity to fight the room ahead, but there should be no reason we need to enter a bar. Should we not proceed ahead to move closer to the summit?" Jeth suggests.

Linguz
2012-06-19, 01:16 PM
How much does that heal?

Nolan nodded and made his way to the fallen ogre. "Thank you." He checks his items, seeing as last time the ogres had wands. Maybe this one will too, and that'd be helpful.

BShammie
2012-06-19, 01:49 PM
One hit point per round for eleven rounds.

Kelvin360
2012-06-19, 02:09 PM
(If you guys are headed back to the huge area, then I'll just give Nolan that +11 now, as it'll take more than a minute to get there anyways, unless you're all running flat-out.)

Alas, this time your opponent only has on him a (very cold) sack of gold peices.

Linguz
2012-06-19, 02:21 PM
Nolan takes the sack of gold pieces and puts it with the rest of his gold.

How much is it?

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-06-19, 03:49 PM
Anar, Dragon Shaman

"If this is a dead end we should move on. Quickly, these bodies, and more likely the resultant lack of food, will soon be noted."

Kelvin360
2012-06-19, 05:39 PM
(190 gold peices.)

"Assuming the guards at the entrance have not already noticed that we wiped out half their patrol."

Cheesy74
2012-06-21, 11:41 AM
Jeth begins hobbling toward the door in sharp contrast to the dexterity he displayed in battle. "You may follow me, or not. I will, regardless, be approaching the summit."

Kelvin360
2012-06-21, 02:40 PM
Iaral glances at the others, shrugs, and follows Jeth out.

Linguz
2012-06-21, 02:42 PM
Nolan and Aquila do the same, except without glancing at the others.

BShammie
2012-06-22, 03:34 PM
Merinna puts her wand back in her bracer before leaving the room with her bow drawn.

Kelvin360
2012-06-25, 05:11 PM
When the party re-reaches the main huge open area, something is clearly off. The bodies of the dead giants look to have been moved and searched, and now the entirety of the place is empty. Even the lava flow and armory at one end no longer has a figure inside it.

The feast behind you still rages on, so the only way the guards could have gone is through the third entrance.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-06-25, 05:41 PM
Anar, Dragon Shaman

"Something is amiss here. Jeth, would you be able to discern what has occured? We will have to be on our guard."
He sniffs, letting the scents of the battle into his nostrils, but is unable to discern an over powering scent.

Cheesy74
2012-06-26, 09:44 PM
Jeth squints. "I cannot maintain my arcane focus much longer, but I will try. It will take some time. Are you sure we have ten minutes to spare?"

Kelvin360
2012-06-28, 02:47 AM
"Unless we are certain they have made a ploy, it would suit us to assume they simply went further in that entrance." Iaral points to the tunnel they haven't gone in yet. "However, we should also assume that they have at the least prepared an offense. So the question is: should we risk resting to replenish your energy?" He glances at Jeth.

Cheesy74
2012-06-28, 07:05 AM
"For me to divine anything would take most of my remaining power, leaving me able to put up nearly no offense, worse so if we intend to rest in the pocket dimension I had planned to conjure. I suggest we rest now and leave the combat to the next day. Their offense will not be better reinforced for it, and in fact, I think they will become lax when we do not immediately follow."

With that, Jeth walks to a wall and traces a glowing rectangle with his staff head, holding it against the space within and chanting in a quiet monotone. The space slowly begins to glow until it opens to a dimly-lit stone chamber, about fifteen by fifteen feet in size and tall enough to accommodate Aquila with ease. He steps inside and begins to unpack his things.

Extended Psychoportive Shelter here. 5pp, lasts 16 hours.

Linguz
2012-06-28, 02:14 PM
Nolan and Aquila entered the new room and copied his actions.

Kelvin360
2012-06-29, 01:54 PM
Iaral doesn't really have any 'things' to speak of, so he crosses his legs and sits down, eyeing the 'window' until the others have napped.

BShammie
2012-06-30, 06:27 AM
Merinna enters the room and unpacks her things. She crawls into her bedroll and falls asleep after a few minutes.

Kelvin360
2012-06-30, 01:23 PM
Once the less-evolved people (read: non-elves) have done that strange 'sleeping' thing (whatever that is)...well, no one inside is dead. But man, who knows what's down there now?!

Well go find out!

Cheesy74
2012-07-01, 05:08 PM
Jeth looks up from his books as the others begin to awaken, standing up and stretching a bit before beginning his divination. A slow arcane dance proceeds before the stone begins to glitter in the form of a message.

Jeth peers through the dimension's window after his divination. If the coast looks clear, he runs his staff from head to toe, sheathing himself in violet energy for a moment before allowing it to fade, and steps through to the passage, illuminating his staff.

Manifest Psionic Divination (7pp, 75/82) to answer the question "What events occurred in the main chamber of this facility after we exited it?".

Manifest fully-augmented Inertial Armor for a big ol' AC boost (7pp, 68/82). Lasts 8 hours.

Kelvin360
2012-07-01, 05:57 PM
Unfortunately, the coast is decidedly not clear. What looks like the entire rest of the giant army is currently patrolling the main area, and the outline of the giant smith is back amongst the lava.

Answer -

"After they failed in search for you
The giants sought to start anew
The bodies moved, the stones shook
They seek vengeance now, for what you took."

Linguz
2012-07-11, 08:22 AM
Nolan checks to see how it loosk and relays the information to the rest of them. "Should we stay in here and wait for them to move on or...?"

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-07-11, 10:05 AM
Anar, Dragon Shaman

Anar stood near to Jeff, ready to listen to anything the mage learned: he did not have a quick mind, but a dragon's mind enjoyed riddles. He drew on his power and sent it out, enlivening all of their senses.

Senses aura. Everyone gets +2 spot, listen and Initiative.

Also, that was weird: none of this page has shown up before, that's why I haven't responded earlier...

Cheesy74
2012-07-11, 10:07 AM
Jeth sighs at the sight before him. "My dimension will persist for eight more hours, but that will likely not abate the patrols. I suggest we wait for an unwatched hall and move out. I suspect they believe us to have left the complex, and will be watching the entrance more than any other location."
He maintains his watch by the window, waiting for patrols to round the corner, out of sight.

Kelvin360
2012-07-11, 01:06 PM
It only takes a few minutes for the trio of ogres nearby to turn somewhere else, and it seems as though the next patrol is having an argument about something.

"No better time then the present. Where are we going, exactly?"

Kelvin360
2012-07-19, 01:31 AM
"...I would suggest a stealthy approach deeper into the mountain, where we've not yet explored. Or we could try to retreat and lure a few into a tighter passageway for easier fights. Even so, the numbers are disconcerting. Thoughts?"

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-07-21, 05:54 AM
Anar

"We have already alerted them to our presence and wasted both time and resources fighting them. We need to make up for that now, and another battle will avail us little. I propose attempting to sneak past them, is it possible for this room to be moved? It would seem that Merinna here is the most adept at stealth, and perhaps Jeth has his own powers for such a situation?"

BShammie
2012-07-21, 10:50 AM

I'm not sure if trying to sneak past them is a great idea. I could sneak past them, but can everyone else? If they hear even one of us we would have to fight the entire army. We have to take Aquila with us too, and she wouldn't exactly be hard to spot.
Still, if we are going to sneak it may be better to leave either Aquila or Anar with Jeth until we make sure the coast is clear. Aquila is large and Anar's armor is loud, so trying to get past the guards with them may be difficult. Jeth and whoever else gets left behind can teleport to us afterwards.
We may be able to cause a distraction with our equipment too. I have thunderstones, collapsible poles, rope and a grappling hook, an ioun stone, and a few wands. What does everyone else have?

Kelvin360
2012-07-21, 11:53 AM
"My boots can hasten their wearer, but the only ones walking might...be...

Wait, can Aquila wear boots?"

Linguz
2012-07-21, 11:54 AM
"I'm... not sure. Do they hasten any type of movement or only walking?"

Kelvin360
2012-07-23, 11:41 AM
"As far as I know, it's a standard haste enchantment. But as for magical useage itself..." Iaral looks pointedly at Jeth.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-07-23, 05:26 PM
Anar had little knowledge of magical enchantments, but he did have a very clear image in his head of an eagle wearing boots that was rather confusing.

"I'm not sure how effective that solution would be in remedying our difficulty. Jeth, would it be possible for you to transport a group of us in some fashion? Either within this room or via teleportation?"

Cheesy74
2012-07-25, 07:37 PM
Jeth remains oblivious to Iaral's stare as he responds to Anar. "I can teleport short distances, as I am sure you have witnessed. However, as I mentioned earlier, I can only bring two of you and I can only teleport to a place I can see. It would take at least..." Jeth looks deep in thought. "...three jaunts to make it out of here, based on my recollection of this complex's layout. I would be mentally exhausted until we rested again if I did this enough to get all of us out. Is there another option?"

Kelvin360
2012-07-27, 01:33 AM
"Yes." Iaral says grimly, nocking an arrow. "I can distract them, perhaps even slay a few, to allow you the opportunity to slip past."

Cheesy74
2012-07-28, 09:49 AM
Jeth gives Iaral an incredulous stare. "You really do seek to kill yourself needlessly at every opportunity," he quips.

"If your idea is to provide a distraction, one of my summoned astral constructs should suffice, though it would maintain cohesion for only a minute or so. That should be enough time for us to escape. Is this an agreeable course of action?"

Kelvin360
2012-07-28, 11:12 AM
Blink. Blink.

"Oh. Ah. Yes. That could...that should be fine, yes." He slides his bow back, looking a bit sheepish.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-07-28, 04:39 PM
Anar noted Iaral's selfless, but genuinely quite morose suggestion, and was glad of Jeth's more practical one: this was only the beginning, it would not do to lose the aid off an ally on a generally unsuccessful reconnoitre.

"That seems more practical Jeth, yes. We should begin immediately."

Kelvin360
2012-08-10, 11:43 PM
"And pray for the best."

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-08-11, 03:46 AM
Anar waits for the doddering wizard to get into position, and prepares to run, signalling to Merinna and Nolan to do likewise.