View Full Version : [PF] Monsterous Races

Volos
2012-05-22, 07:58 PM
How does one adjust for monsterous races in Pathfinder? Is there an offical way to figure out one's racial ability modifers, or do we have to fall back on 3.5 for more interesting races? I ask because my players are itching to play races with natural attacks, wings, special abilities, and all other manners of awesomeness. My wife especially wishes to play a winged race, as it is her favorite character achetype. I'm figuring I could just give her wings as a divine boon from her goddess, as at higher levels the power gap between alternate movement types lessens; but I'm still curious about monsterous races in Pathfinder.

Bhaakon
2012-05-22, 08:33 PM
There's a limited number of monstrous races available in PF, but not many are really exotic (only one has a fly speed, I believe, and just a few with natural attacks).

The Advanced Races Guide is coming out next month, with more support for the existing monstrous races and a tool to create your own.

Xerinous
2012-05-22, 08:46 PM
In Pathfinder, CR=LA for monsters as PCs, at least initially. For example, a CR 2 would be treated as starting as a level 2 character, and then could start adding class levels from that point.

With mixed CR races, the monster PCs should gain an extra level for every three earned, gained between the second and third level. These "bonus" levels continue until the number gained is equal to half the monster's CR, rounded down. So that CR 2 mentioned above would only get one extra level.

I think the way to find racial modifiers is done the same way as in 3.5.

And as for a winged race, how about a Strix? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/strix)

grarrrg
2012-05-22, 09:27 PM
I think the way to find racial modifiers is done the same way as in 3.5.

To elaborate, subtract 10 or 11 from the creatures listed stats (whichever results in an even number) to get the Modifiers.

So if a creatures has 16 Str, 9 Dex, and 13 Con, you'd subtract 10 from Str (cause it's an even number) and 11 from Dex and Con (cause they're odd) for modifiers of +6 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con

You may need/want to tweak certain features depending on your campaign/power levels.
For example, Pixies are CR 4 and have permanent Invisibility, this could potentially cause problems.
Also, certain "1/day", or "1/week" abilities may need to be adjusted.

Bhaakon
2012-05-22, 09:56 PM
In Pathfinder, CR=LA for monsters as PCs, at least initially.

Are you sure about that? I believe there's no level adjustment at all in PF.

Xerinous
2012-05-22, 11:15 PM

Yep. Fourth Paragraph. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/monsters-as-pcs)

grarrrg
2012-05-23, 07:10 AM

Correct. But to to use 3.5 terms (which most people on the board are familiar with) there is (kinda).

To describe the Pathfinder way in 3.5 terms:

Half of a Creature's CR is considered RHD, you'll always have it, no way to get rid of it.
The other half of a Creature's CR is considered LA, you'll slowly get rid of it as you level up.
The other main difference is that LA is bought off every 3 levels.

Example: In a party of level 2's, a CR 2 will fit in with no Class levels. When the group reaches level 5, the CR 2 will have lost 1 point of "LA", and be a CR 1 + 4 Class levels. It will always have the remaining CR 1.

In a party of level 4's, a CR 4 will fit in with no Class levels.
When the group reaches level 7, the CR 4 will effectively be a CR 3 + 4 Class levels. When the group reaches level 10, it will effectively be a CR 2 + 8 Class levels. It will always have the last CR 2.

Chained Birds
2012-05-23, 08:41 AM
Correct. But to to use 3.5 terms (which most people on the board are familiar with) there is (kinda).

To describe the Pathfinder way in 3.5 terms:

Half of a Creature's CR is considered RHD, you'll always have it, no way to get rid of it.
The other half of a Creature's CR is considered LA, you'll slowly get rid of it as you level up.
The other main difference is that LA is bought off every 3 levels.

Example: In a party of level 2's, a CR 2 will fit in with no Class levels. When the group reaches level 5, the CR 2 will have lost 1 point of "LA", and be a CR 1 + 4 Class levels. It will always have the remaining CR 1.

In a party of level 4's, a CR 4 will fit in with no Class levels.
When the group reaches level 7, the CR 4 will effectively be a CR 3 + 4 Class levels. When the group reaches level 10, it will effectively be a CR 2 + 8 Class levels. It will always have the last CR 2.

Why do you keep the remaining CR?

grarrrg
2012-05-23, 10:15 AM
Why do you keep the remaining CR?

A: Because you still have to "pay" for your Monster abilities somehow, so keeping some CR in place of Levels is the "cost" (i.e. you'll never have 20 Class levels).

B: That's the rules. Handy Linky (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/monsters-as-pcs), read the paragraphs at the top.

Chained Birds
2012-05-23, 10:37 AM
A: Because you still have to "pay" for your Monster abilities somehow, so keeping some CR in place of Levels is the "cost" (i.e. you'll never have 20 Class levels).

B: That's the rules. Handy Linky (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/monsters-as-pcs), read the paragraphs at the top.

Okay, I think I get it now. It is nice to have the extra HP and stuff as a Monster compared to many high LA creatures in 3.5 who are heavily penalized with extremely low HP. Pixies for example, though the invisible deal evens them out a bit.