PDA

View Full Version : Paranoia

Litewarior
2012-05-22, 08:39 PM
I'm planning on running a game or two of Paranoia with my group, and there are a few things that I'd like some advice on.

None of them know about the game, what do I tell them ahead of time, how far ahead, or do I just let them go in blindly?

Should I make characters for them, or give them pre generated characters?

Since this is my first time too, which module should I run?

Any other suggestions you might have would be welcome too.

TheEmerged
2012-05-22, 08:50 PM
The most important piece of advice?

"You aren't cleared for that, citizen."

Get used to saying that, constantly :smallcool: Find a four-year old and pay them in ice cream\favorite candy to help you practice giving that answer for everything. Make a sign with that saying if you want to just hold it up when appropriate.

The second most important piece of advice? Invest it index cards, post-it notes, or some other form of passing covert notes to the players. Pre-print a few with the phrase "Act like this note says something very important/scary" to help get your players in the mood :smallbiggrin:

A third piece of advice? Get thee to a library and check out some Kafka.

What shoud you tell the players? That there's a traitor in the midst of the players, and they should be prepared for it. "It might even be you... and you won't know until you get your character sheet."

Whatever you do, don't let on that they're ALL going to be traitors.

Tell them NOTHING else. NOTHING. No, not even that. Nope, not that either. They don't get the rulebook, they don't even get to see the <censored>, and if one of them seems to know any of that s/he should be punished since only a traitor would have secret information like that.

Most of the time when I've run this for new players, I've pre-generated the characters and given each player the "public" sheet and a "private" sheet -- *before* the session. Try to keep the players from realizing everybody else got two sheets if you can... Be sure to use the randomizer, since half the point is to make sure nobody can optimize. It's a GOOD thing for a player to have incompatible skills/jobs/<censored>/<censored>.

Finally, the only friends you as DM should have are Friend Computer and Bad Puns, with your assistants Pop Culture Gags. Personally, I do Friend Computer as the mellowed-out Hal, but I've also done the perky/brainless variant just to throw people.

Katana_Geldar
2012-05-22, 09:55 PM
I run Paranoia at cons and I usually give the "What is Paranoia" spiel before the game, unless I know them and then I don't have to. You may need to as players need to be encouraged to not play cooperatively. To backstab, lie, plot against each other and play close to their chests.

I always use pre-gens, I print out two more sheets than there are players. Six is a good number, but four is about the minimum. The public sheet is on display, the secret sheet is in an A4 envelope which also contains additional envelopes with their secret missions.

One thing I always do is give players one on one time with the GM where I explain the secret side of their sheet, like their mutant power and secret society/ies and any questions they don't want to ask in front of everyone else.

Paranoia is a short game compared to others and IMHO best for a one shot done every few months when people don't mind kicking back.

Remember to develop a distinct Friend Computer voice so players know which one you are using. As the GM you're trying to make the game as fun as possible for all players. As Friend Computer you're trying to kill them and make their life difficult.

Most of the work in Paranoia is done before the game and at the start of the game. I have to work my butt off as a GM to prepare and to get the energy up at the beginning of the game, as I know my job as GM is done when the players can carry the game themselves.

As for rules, get the Little Red Book. It's a little outdated if you have the current edition of rules, but still relevant and it's all at their security level.

Have fun! Paranoia is every GMs dream to run.

Kurald Galain
2012-05-23, 04:13 AM
None of them know about the game, what do I tell them ahead of time, how far ahead, or do I just let them go in blindly?
Method one: make five or six pregens and tell the group that one of them is the mole / mutant / traitor. Don't go into specifics. Then just explain some basics about Alpha Complex and sound the mission alert.

Method two: have everybody think of a (pre-troubleshooter) job, a handful of skills, a mutation (i.e. superpower), and a secret society. Handwave the rest of the rules, they're not important anyway (not to mention above most people's security clearance). Then go for mission alert.

I've had good experiences with both.

Since this is my first time too, which module should I run?
Something that includes the fundamentals, such as finding the briefing room, having a cryptic and/or nonsensical briefing, going to PLC and R&D to get stuff, and then ripping the rest of the plot from a recent action movie.

Avengers would work well. Lok-I-ASG has stolen the <deleted for security reasons> and is using his <deleted for security reasons> to hypnotize loyal clones! Bring him to justice, by which we mean terminate with extreme prejudice. Make pregens for Tho-R-ASG, Iron-R-MAN, Jekyl-R-HYD, and Capam-R-ICA, and use Nick-V-URY as the mission briefing guy. Then play out your favorite scenes and watch everybody make a mess of things.

Any other suggestions you might have would be welcome too.
(edit) Oh yeah, get into the lingo. Append "clearance" to every color; "cycle" to every unit of time; and "clone" to every word involving people. So you're not meeting someone with a yellow watch in five minutes, you're meeting someclone with a yellow-clearance timekeeping device in five minutecycles. Write down some nonsensical access codes or room numbers that the players are expected to remember. Throw in some Old Reckoning items and describe them so oddly that it takes people awhile to realize what you're talking about. And randomly ask people whether they're happy or not. And as has already been posted, "I'm sorry, citizen, that information is not available at your security clearance."

Mono Vertigo
2012-05-23, 05:46 AM
If you need additional inspiration, there's the Spy from TF2. Here's his video (http://www.teamfortress.com/classes.php?class=spy#movie) (warning: violence, swear words, and terrible French).
Long story short, his schtick is that he can disguise himself perfectly as a member of the opposite team, and to his own teammates, he'll look like himself wearing a mask. If he disguises himself as the other team's Spy, to his own team, he'll look like himself wearing a Spy mask; to his enemies, he'll look like their Spy, wearing a random other mask (potentially another Spy mask). You very quickly become paranoid of just anyone, shooting your own teammates is encouraged, and if you play a Spy long enough, you tend to forget whose team you're on. Oh, and you can also turn invisible, so empty spaces can also make people nervous. Backstabs, both literal and metaphoric, happen every time. A skilled Spy can end a ruin team, either through straight murder or the inducement of crippling paranoia.

The point I'm getting at is that in a good Paranoia game, everyone is a disguised Spy, but everyone thinks they're the only Spy (much like in an average pub game, actually, but I digress). And friendly fire is on.

Litewarior
2012-05-23, 03:01 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips, a few pieces of clarification:

The second most important piece of advice? Invest it index cards, post-it notes, or some other form of passing covert notes to the players. Pre-print a few with the phrase "Act like this note says something very important/scary" to help get your players in the mood :smallbiggrin:

What else would I put on index cards besides that?

Tell them NOTHING else. NOTHING. No, not even that. Nope, not that either. They don't get the rulebook, they don't even get to see the <censored>, and if one of them seems to know any of that s/he should be punished since only a traitor would have secret information like that.

Most of the time when I've run this for new players, I've pre-generated the characters and given each player the "public" sheet and a "private" sheet -- *before* the session. Try to keep the players from realizing everybody else got two sheets if you can... Be sure to use the randomizer, since half the point is to make sure nobody can optimize. It's a GOOD thing for a player to have incompatible skills/jobs/<censored>/<censored>.

Do you have a link to any good randomizers? Or should I just take the first result from google?

I run Paranoia at cons and I usually give the "What is Paranoia" spiel before the game, unless I know them and then I don't have to. You may need to as players need to be encouraged to not play cooperatively. To backstab, lie, plot against each other and play close to their chests.

What would the "What is Paranoia" spiel be, besides "You are in a place called Alpha Complex run by Friend Computer, here is your character, begin game"?

Method one: make five or six pregens and tell the group that one of them is the mole / mutant / traitor. Don't go into specifics. Then just explain some basics about Alpha Complex and sound the mission alert.

Wouldn't they all be mutants/traitors though?

Kurald Galain
2012-05-23, 03:06 PM
What would the "What is Paranoia" spiel be, besides "You are in a place called Alpha Complex run by Friend Computer, here is your character, begin game"?
Explain the basics about Security Clearance, stress how everybody is happy (or else...), point out how this society is much better than what came before (and knowing what came before is treason), remind them of the importance of eliminating commies, traitors, mutants, and commies, and ask them if they are happy (or else...)

Of course. But it's hilarious if they don't know that.

Aidan305
2012-05-23, 03:27 PM
One handy little introduction I've found to introducing the paranoia mindset is informing the players the the character sheet in front of them has only one side. It is a one-sided piece of paper. It has no second page because all information on the second page would be treasonous, and since they're all loyal troubleshooter there is clearly no need for a second page.

Kurald Galain
2012-05-23, 03:45 PM
One handy little introduction I've found to introducing the paranoia mindset is informing the players the the character sheet in front of them has only one side. It is a one-sided piece of paper. It has no second page because all information on the second page would be treasonous, and since they're all loyal troubleshooter there is clearly no need for a second page.

And then shoot the character of the first player to contradict this :smallamused:

Katana_Geldar
2012-05-23, 05:31 PM
My 'What is Paranoia' spiel:

* The world as we know it is gone, we all live in an elaborate underground base called Alpha Complex governed by an omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient computer, who is your Friend and you must trust him. He always looks out for the best interests of Alpha Complex. Somes I talk as the GM, sometimes I use my Friend Computer voice, you need to address me as Friend Computer if you want to speak to me. As GM I try to be fair and make the game fun, as zfriend Computer I'm trying to kill you and stop you at every turn.
* Alpha Complex society is hierarchical according to colour, lowest us Infrared that wear black, then it goes up through the spectrum ROYGBIV to Uktraviolets who are second only to Friend Computer. Friend Computer promotes citizens that he sees as loyal and kill traitors. Everyone started as Infrared and turned in a fellow citizen for treason, now you work for your service group part time as you'll perform troubleshooting duties (a little but about them, but I've usually done this when the players chose the characters).
* Your security clearance is Red, you can go anywhere in Alpha Complex that has red stripes. All other colours but black are above your security level and forbidden.
* As troubleshooters, your job is to find trouble, and shoot it.
* Secret societies are treasonous and anyone suspecting a fellow citizen of knowledge or membership or Secret Society propaganda should report it.
* If you suspect a fellow troubleshooter to be a dirty, dirty Comminist, you should tell Friend Computer. They want to smash Friend Computer and destroy Alpha Complex. Membership in the Communists is grounds for instant execution.
* Everyone is a clone and has five other clone brothers/sisters as we've moved past the need for messy awkward biological reproduction. If you die, your next clone will be summoned.
* The clone vats have been sabotaged by secret society traitors, so everyone has a mutant power. It is treasonous to use a mutant power unless you're a registered mutant and then we don't like you. They are distinguished with a yellow stripe.

That's about it, as we go into roles after the briefing. Probably room for done mediation stuff in there, but it covers a lot.

TheEmerged
2012-05-23, 05:37 PM
What else would I put on index cards besides that?

For the most part, you won't prefill them. Generally you'll be passing info to them you don't want the other players to see. For example

Each of the players will have a secret mission from their conspiracy. Obviously you'll be passing that, and anything related to that, via the notes. Similarly, their mutant powers may give them information that wouldn't be available to the others.

As a specific example, let's say one of these secret missions is that the player is supposed to look for a specific robot in the sector they've been sent to. You'll want one player to be looking to destroy it, one player to try and befriend it, and one player to kidnap it. This is pretty typical for Paranoia secret missions, so you know. The other players will have no idea to even watch for the robot, so you'll want to pass info about the robots via notes. This way the other players are wondering why the rest of the group is looking for robots when they're supposed to be returning Friend Computer's recordings to Vidy-O-Stor before a preset deadline...

I've gone through a pack of post-it's in a single session before.

Do you have a link to any good randomizers? Or should I just take the first result from google?

*shrug* There's one in my copy of the rule... I mean, I've heard that commie mutant traitors have secretly created randomizers as part of a plot to disrupt the plans of Friend Computer. If you find these, you should destroy them immediately as even thinking about such secret knowledge could corrupt you.

You're not cleared for that, citizien

======================================

Just some friendly corrections to an earlier post, citizen.

* The world as we know it is gone, we all live in an elaborate underground base called Alpha Complex governed by an omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient computer, who is your Friend and you must trust him. He always looks out for the best interests of Alpha Complex. Somes I talk as the GM, sometimes I use my Friend Computer voice, you need to address me as Friend Computer if you want to speak to me. As GM I try to be fair and make the game fun, as friend Computer I'm trying to kill you and stop you at every turn.
* Alpha Complex society is hierarchical according to colour, lowest is Infrared that wear black, then it goes up through the spectrum ROYGBIV to Ultraviolets who are second only to Friend Computer. Friend Computer promotes citizens that he sees as loyal and kill traitors. Everyone The PC's started as Infrared and turned in a fellow citizen for treason, now you work for your service group part time as you'll perform troubleshooting duties (a little bit about them, but I've usually done this when the players chose the characters).
* Your security clearance is Red, you can go anywhere in Alpha Complex that has red stripes. All other colours but black are above your security level and forbidden.
* As troubleshooters, your job is to find trouble, and shoot it. Not necessarily in that order.
* Secret societies are treasonous and anyone suspecting a fellow citizen of knowledge or membership or Secret Society propaganda should report it. If you can prove it, just go ahead and shoot them.
* If you suspect a fellow troubleshooter to be a dirty, dirty Comminist, you should tell Friend Computer. If you can prove it, just go ahead and shoot them. They want to smash Friend Computer and destroy Alpha Complex. Membership in the Communists is grounds for instant execution.
* Everyone is a clone and has five other clone brothers/sisters as we've moved past the need for messy awkward biological reproduction. If you die, your next clone will be summoned.
* The clone vats have been sabotaged by secret society traitors, so everyone has some clones have a mutant power. It is treasonous to use a mutant power unless you're a registered mutant and then we don't like you. They are distinguished with a yellow stripe.

Remember - yes, the PC's all have mutant powers, but they're not supposed to KNOW every other PC has a mutant power.

Litewarior
2012-05-23, 06:16 PM
Also, my group is likely to try to work together and not betray each other, how could I get them to start fighting?

Dead_Jester
2012-05-23, 06:29 PM
Also, my group is likely to try to work together and not betray each other, how could I get them to start fighting?

Tell them that cooperation with Commies and/or traitors is punishable by death, and that knowledge of any such activity is also punishable by death. If you make sure that they don't know each other is a member of a secret society or a mutant, and give them contradictory goals, the paranoia should set in quickly enough as any action from their fellows could potentially be TREASON.

Excessive note passing also tends to create interparty tension, especially if you focus on only a few of them for a while.

Katana_Geldar
2012-05-23, 06:30 PM
Intentionally put them against each other, incite them and stir them up. Cross wires with the secret societies and mission to make them conflict, and write false notes.

And actually tell them this is not a cooperative game, you need to shoot each other. If you aren't, you're doing something wrong.

This form (http://www.crd-sector.com/uv/p&f/trf.htm) is also good, I usually randomly give it out to a group that hasn't got a lot of energy.

Paranoia is also a very loud game. Get them singing songs, vigorous calisthentics. I had one group singing Paranoia themed Beatles songs when I ran An ARD Days Night.

As for missions, the best mission for the first time group is my favourite one The Quantum Traitor. It is Paranoia at it's simplest and the ending you just need to sit back and watch the players destroy each other.
I also love the game show.

This entire page is great (http://www.crd-sector.com/uv/download/index.htm)

Kurald Galain
2012-05-23, 06:38 PM

You can start with simple things like demanding a division of team duties, and equipment. First, mandate that somebody becomes team leader, and somebody else equipment officer. Then, equip a team of five with only four laser guns, and watch them argue about who does or does not get one. Then, issue the team with faulty equipment, and then demand a scapegoat...

Katana_Geldar
2012-05-23, 06:44 PM
Make liberal use of the secret society handshakes, and make a few up as well. I also recommend having the Communists and Purge in the same game, same with Anti-Mutants, Psions and Sierra Club.

Randomguy
2012-05-23, 10:05 PM
"Just smile and nodd" is also something you could put on a cue card.

My 'What is Paranoia' spiel:

This, but I'd also add that wrongly accusing someone of treason is treason, so don't go around making claims you can't prove. And that not reporting an equipment malfunction or inaccurate/incomplete instruction manual is treason. As well as that that Friend Computer is in charge (indirectly) of all instruction manuals and equipment, and accusing Friend Computer of fallibility is treason.

Grac
2012-05-23, 10:59 PM
Remember to develop a distinct Friend Computer voice so players know which one you are using. As the GM you're trying to make the game as fun as possible for all players. As Friend Computer you're trying to kill them and make their life difficult.

I disagree. You are ALWAYS Friend Computer. You are always OOC. They should not know which, and they should always assume both. As Friend Computer you are not trying to kill them, but to put them in situations where they gleefully, but not obviously, try to kill each other. As GM, you try to make that mutual murder FUN, because fun is mandatory. Failure to have fun is punishable by execution.

See, there's a reason the humor of the game, like where I just said that if you, the GM, don't have fun, you will be executed, is part of the game discussions: there is no separation between Out Of Character and In Character.

That is the ONLY thing they should know about the 'game'.

Killer Angel
2012-05-24, 02:04 AM
You can start with simple things like demanding a division of team duties, and equipment. First, mandate that somebody becomes team leader, and somebody else equipment officer. Then, equip a team of five with only four laser guns, and watch them argue about who does or does not get one. Then, issue the team with faulty equipment, and then demand a scapegoat...

THe funny part starts when they realize that the experimental equipment they had to test, can be very dangerous to use. But not testing it could be considered treason.

Mono Vertigo
2012-05-24, 04:58 AM
Hey, that reminds me of a little "trick" that's perfect to show your players the mood of the game early on.
Have several dice available on your game table. There has to be at least one red die and one die of any other color. If someone rolls any die other than the red one, tell them that they used a die that's above their security clearance and they are going to be punished appropriately.

Kurald Galain
2012-05-24, 05:23 AM
Hey, that reminds me of a little "trick" that's perfect to show your players the mood of the game early on.
Have several dice available on your game table. There has to be at least one red die and one die of any other color. If someone rolls any die other than the red one, tell them that they used a die that's above their security clearance and they are going to be punished appropriately.

Also, when bringing munchies to the game, break out the M&Ms.

Killer Angel
2012-05-24, 05:57 AM

AH, the fun time when a player playing a clone with a Red Security Clearance, was using a blue pen... :smallbiggrin:

Mono Vertigo
2012-05-24, 06:04 AM
Whoa, that's a special kind of evil.
I love it.
:smallamused:

Grac
2012-05-24, 03:47 PM

I have never done this. Oh. My. God. That is pure awesome and evil.

Reltzik
2012-05-24, 08:07 PM
Everyone's been saying "tell them there's exactly ONE traitor."

Nononono.

Tell them there's exactly TWO.

They're one. If they can root out the other one (remember, there's exactly one more), then they can advance to a more effective position to do treason and rise above suspicion. But remember. There's exactly ONE more, and the others are innocent. In order for everyone to be satisfied that TWO have been caught, you need to frame someone.

Reltzik
2012-05-24, 08:25 PM
Also, remember to use pink index cards and print out all forms on pink paper. Use red or black pens. Otherwise, players will say that they are not authorized to fill out the forms.

Grey Watcher
2012-05-24, 11:13 PM
AH, the fun time when a player playing a clone with a Red Security Clearance, was using a blue pen... :smallbiggrin:

Hehe, I was playing a one-session Paranoia game at an event a few months back. I believe I was the first person at the table to ask which color pencils were appropriate for our use.

Killer Angel
2012-05-25, 02:24 AM
Hehe, I was playing a one-session Paranoia game at an event a few months back. I believe I was the first person at the table to ask which color pencils were appropriate for our use.

This could be included in a list "The 10 things that let you distinguish a veteran player from an amateur". :smallbiggrin:

TheOOB
2012-05-25, 04:18 AM

My rules are simple, I use their secret societies to ensure tension. If at least one playing isn't trying to ruin the mission(or at least change it's outcome significantly), I didn't set things up enough, and if at least one player doesn't have a mission to take out another players, same thing.

Mustard
2012-05-25, 12:15 PM
If your players are likely to help each other, you have to set up an "it's them or me" situation.

For example, suppose it's briefing time, and the briefing officer calls for inspection, notably after weapons are issued to the troubleshooters. A traitorous IntSec goon "inspects" the PCs. Be sure to roll a d20 as a token gesture for each inspection. One of the times, look at the die quizzically, and say, "hmm", and roll again, then move on to the next inspection. At random, the goon "finds" commie propaganda. Of course, the framed PC will claim it's not theirs, but their trustworthiness is in question now. The IntSec goon could easily apprehend the traitor, but the briefing officer instead generously offers the chance for one of the troubleshooters to subdue this apparent traitor, a great opportunity to serve Friend Computer, and get rewarded credits for this week-cycle's traitor roundup fun drive.

It's not a great example, but it'll get you started. You can also use R&D technology. Make it a required secondary objective to test some new strips R&D is testing. The strips are placed under the tongue for 1 minute and if they turn red, the subject has a mutant power. Or recently ate -- they're still working out the details. Or they would still be working out the details if they were still working on the product. The strips were canceled, but a paperwork mixup sent one of the early batches to PLC to distribute to troubleshooters for testing and feedback. Fun fact: this canceled R&D effort is BLUE clearance.

Edit: It's treason NOT to arrest or kill traitors (different punishments for different levels of treason or insubordination). Emphasize this. There are cameras all over the place. If treason is going unpunished, have Friend Computer call and ask why.

TheOOB
2012-05-26, 04:13 AM
One mission I gave each character a side objected that they had to come back with a small seemingly unimportant object(a disk), with the rule that the others are not supposed to know it exists. Needless to say it got stolen like 12 times, often with a smoking corpse left behind.