PDA

View Full Version : What's a DM to do?

killianh
2012-05-23, 12:00 AM
So I have a bit of a problem with my play group (and a bit with myself I suppose) in regards to role playing. We play 3.5 and have been doing so for a little while now. My problem is that I want to try and get the players more involved in playing but just can't seem to do so. We're all friends and the D&D game has been our friday night guys thing for 5 years.

There's usually a lot of out of game table chat, and they don't usually have much care for getting involved with NPCs and the like. They try to railroad things to the encounters, but get bored if its just encounter after encounter. There's no problem with getting them to go along with a plot I have, but there's not too too much interest in the actual plot side of things because there is very little in the way of attachment to their characters, or much in game talk due to distractions.

I don't personally care if the game is serious or jokes, but the lack of focus, creativity, and general care for the guys they play make it hand to do either. SO my question playground is what can I do to try and get them more involved? Or should I just try to run a more low key style of game for their sake?

Also when I've asked before about putting more focus into the game I was told that the table talk was just part of the game and it sucks the fun out by having to focus. I've been told that some of the stuff I've done was a little boring, but IMHO its mainly due to the fact that a battle encounter is boring if its just dice rolling (and they don't like "nerding out" by doing the RPG thing and calling out what they do or describing it) and the plot stuff has problems because its hard to have a plot if every conversation only involves one person or gets interrupted for some random anecdote. They insist we stick with D&D, but don't seem to have that much interested in doing anything.

Is it me? Is it them? What can I do?

Aegis013
2012-05-23, 12:29 AM
Talk to them before the game. Let them know what the deal is and let them know that you simply don't feel like they are appreciating your efforts.

That is what it sounds like to me. You sound like an awesome DM, honestly. Seems to me you care about your group and want to provide an awesome game experience for them.

Other than that, you can't control other people. If you're not getting fulfillment out of this ask one of them to DM, or see if you can find a new group member to DM. If they aren't going to get involved in the game there's not really anything you can do to change that.

Grail
2012-05-23, 12:36 AM
It could be you. Not knowing how you run the game, it's possible that it is your style of gm'ing, but not being able to witness it, it's impossible to tell for sure.

It is definitely them to some extent, however.

These kind of players generally see the social aspect of getting together more important than any game. They will quickly grow bored with the game generally, and there is little that can be done to fix it. Some people are roleplayers at heart, others aren't.

My suggestion. Try something different. Board games are a great distraction, and there are some really good board games that tend to work with these kinds of players (games that really ramp up on the social interaction side of things). Some of my favourites for these kinds of players (hell, just some of my favourite games anyway):

* Battlestar Galactica (this one actually requires a good deal of focus, but it's funny when everyone is accusing everyone else of being a cylon, and I've seen the players you've described really get into this game).
* Talisman
* Zombies!!!

The other option is to ask someone else to run the game, and see if anything changes.

You can also talk to the players. Ask what they want to play, and then try to build the game around that to see if it will help pull them in.

Another option is to run a mission based campaign.

Don't have a large meta-plot, at least not one that is completely obvious from the outset. Run small, 1 off mission styled adventures that take only a single session to run. Have lots of action, make it fast paced and try to incorporate little rewards into the game to help get the players on your side. (ie, someone interacts with an NPC well, give them some bonus XP - infront of everyone, or turn the NPC into a benefactor for the character/group). Rewarding for good behaviour doesn't just work for training puppies you know. :smallwink:

meto30
2012-05-23, 01:07 AM
The issue you're having, as I see it, has to do with the fact that they have what they want (or what they think they want) while you don't. They are not going to commit themselves to the game any deeper, and and as long as they're unwilling, they won't get any 'real' fun out of it. My suggestion is that you find another group to satisfy your thirst for narratively inspiring campaigns - you might be able to convince your current group to do proper RPing, but it can backfire, and when it does backfire then you lose the current group, which I think you won't like much.

EDIT: I concur with Grail. It seems D&D is not exactly the optimal choice for your current group... board games will work way better. Perhaps some simple poker could work, too. Or Mahjong, which would be my first choice, but that requires exactly 4 people... um, just ignore that last sentence, please :smalltongue: