PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Half-Succubus?

GreenSerpent
2012-05-23, 05:00 AM
Hi all,

An applicant to one of my games suggested this template would be good for their character (it does fit their backstory). It's homebrew, so just wanted to get an opinion on it.

- Medium outsider (Native)
- Natural AC +3
- Racial skills : +2 Bluff, Diplomacy, Sense Motive.
- Special qualities : Darkvision 60', resist acid, cold and fire 10, immune to poison
- Spell-like abilities, DC is Cha-based, CL = HD: at will - Detect good, Detect magic; 1/day - Detect thoughts, Suggestion, Summon monster III, Charm monster, Tongues, Ethereal jaunt.
- Attributes: Int +4, Wis +2, Cha +6
- LA +2

Thoughts? Opinions? I personally think the stat modifiers are a little high, but I'm not Mr Experience here.

Oh, and their class is Wizard/Binder/Anima Mage.

Thanks!

Jane_Smith
2012-05-23, 05:50 AM
I find it odd they do not have anything to do with draining life/negative levels, as per the entire theme of a succubus.

Ideas for balancing;

1: Toss natural AC +3 for DR 3/good - making them harder to hit vs. damage soak, typically the damage soak is the less threatening balance choice.

2: Toss +2 bluff, diplomacy, and sense motive, and summon monster III. I am GUESSING this is a template, and adjusting a base race sense succubi can breed with any humanoid species. As such, most races core traits will possess skill bonuses. In addition, demons can only use summon monster/etc to summon more demons, as it is in lore/etc usually - how many demons do you know will come to the call of all but a demonologist of a half-demon? Very few. Pride and all you know? Summon a celestial owl or something/general summon monster spell seems a bit unlikely as well, so it just doesn't really fit. As a balance/trade, give them Bestow Wounds at will. Maybe rename it/give it as a supernatural ability? A 1st level necromancy spell that is a melee touch attack spell as a standard action that transfers 1d4 damage/+1d4 2 levels (5d4 max at 9th) from the caster that's already been received, and puts it on the touched target. A lesser form of vampiric touch basically if re themed appropriately. Fits the whole life-sucking theme of a succubus to a lesser degree.

3: Reduce the ability score bonuses to +2 Int, +2 Wis, +4 Cha. The reason normal demons, mainly succubi, have such high mental scores is partially due to there, you know, immortality. I always consider such high mental stats a old-age bonus with no drawbacks, you know? I can understand a basic "boost" or innate skill with these attributes, but most a full-fledged demon learns from just being alive for centuries - learning gossip/blackmail, exploiting others, seduction, lying, cheating, stealing, etc. Something a half-succubus would not have 1/100th the time to develop to a masterful degree.

If you did these changes, id dare say the template would even be +1 LA worthy. If just barely and straining the ceiling a bit.

reddir
2012-05-23, 11:13 AM
Jane_Smith, I'd take that for LA +1, especially if there was LA-buyoff.

GreenSerpent, another option might be the Allurin (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Allurin_(3.5e_Race)). There is both a LA +0 and a LA +1 version.

Kazyan
2012-05-23, 12:01 PM
If you did these changes, id dare say the template would even be +1 LA worthy. If just barely and straining the ceiling a bit.

A +8 total to stats, a sprinkle of DR, Charm Monster, the Outsider type and a pack of resistances for +1 LA? Nah. That would be better than Draconic.

Mando Knight
2012-05-23, 12:12 PM
Alternate thought: Grab Aasimar, change its SLAs and auto-languages to appropriate Succubus counterparts.