PDA

View Full Version : Eurovision 2012 (possible spoilers)

rakkoon
2012-05-23, 06:13 AM
Has anybody seen it?

Only one country in my top 4 actually made it to the finals.
I though Iceland, Switserland and Austria would make it too.
They are going on my playlist anyway.

I almost fell of the couch when I saw Russia, tears of laughter man, tears of laughter. They should win for sure :smallbiggrin:

Hopeless
2012-05-23, 07:46 AM
Is it bad of me to actually wish my own country (UK) failed to qualify?:smallbiggrin:

Seriously who are they going to host it this year given no Terry Wogan?:smalleek:

rakkoon
2012-05-23, 07:51 AM
I wish we got into the finals, not that we won!

We don't have the money for that kind of thing :smallwink:

England I haven't seen yet but the name seems familiar :smallamused:

Archonic Energy
2012-05-23, 07:53 AM
I want Greece to win... :smallamused:

i just think that'd be too funny!

Weimann
2012-05-23, 07:58 AM
I actually kind of like our song this year. I'm not really bothered though.

Hopeless
2012-05-23, 09:38 AM
I wish we got into the finals, not that we won!

We don't have the money for that kind of thing :smallwink:

England I haven't seen yet but the name seems familiar :smallamused:

You'll find it near the bottom of last few years worth of Eurovision (should that be last few decades?):smallwink:

super dark33
2012-05-23, 09:49 AM
I still cant understand why we (Israel) sent that terrible band to represent us.
i dont think that in ten years we will send somthing as good as Izhar cohen.

Sunken Valley
2012-05-23, 01:43 PM
I want Greece to win... :smallamused:

i just think that'd be too funny!

Greece won not so long ago in 2005.

@Hopeless: Graham Norton will host Eurovision. As he has for the last three years. Wogan left on moral grounds due to corruption in 2008's contest.

Also, UK has not been doing that bad. We were runner up a lot in the 80s and 90s. We have won 5 times in the contests 56 year history (2nd highest number of wins!) most recently in 1997. We were at the bottom of the chart in 2010, 2008 and 2005 but in 2009 we came 5th.

So yeah, GB isn't failing as bad as you make it.

Hazzardevil
2012-05-23, 02:31 PM
Greece won not so long ago in 2005.

@Hopeless: Graham Norton will host Eurovision. As he has for the last three years. Wogan left on moral grounds due to corruption in 2008's contest.

Also, UK has not been doing that bad. We were runner up a lot in the 80s and 90s. We have won 5 times in the contests 56 year history (2nd highest number of wins!) most recently in 1997. We were at the bottom of the chart in 2010, 2008 and 2005 but in 2009 we came 5th.

So yeah, GB isn't failing as bad as you make it.

I think the problem is, we never send good people, we send the likes of Jedward and other "popular" singers. We need talented people like Area 11.

Elder Tsofu
2012-05-23, 02:43 PM
I still cant understand why we (Israel) sent that terrible band to represent us.
i dont think that in ten years we will send somthing as good as Izhar cohen.

I quite liked it, it was far from the worst in that semi-final. ^^

Albania though *ugh*. I'm glad that my hands are clean from that since I wasn't allowed to vote in that semifinal.

Mx.Silver
2012-05-23, 04:58 PM
I think the problem is, we never send good people, we send the likes of Jedward and other "popular" singers. We need talented people like Area 11.
(holy crap, someone else who's heard of Area 11)
Happily for us, Jedward are Ireland's problem as far as Eurovision goes (poor, poor Ireland). Besides, I think there's an unwritten rule that genuinely good bands/artists shouldn't be entered into the contest :smalltongue:

Elder Tsofu
2012-05-23, 05:06 PM
Happily for us, Jedward are Ireland's problem as far as Eurovision goes (poor, poor Ireland). Besides, I think there's an unwritten rule that genuinely good bands/artists shouldn't be entered into the contest :smalltongue:

Indeed, it is a bit below them. Gives a mark which is hard to scrub of and the embarrassment if they don't win...

Tiki Snakes
2012-05-23, 06:48 PM
I thought the Irish Eurovision joke was that they'd won it so much that they were now actively trying not to? Hence the singing turkey and the Jedward twins.

Engelbert Humperdinck's number for Britain this year is really rather half decent for a change, though. First genuine effort we've managed in a long time.

rakkoon
2012-05-24, 06:06 AM
And he isn't the oldest candidate to enter with his tender age of 76

Hazzardevil
2012-05-25, 11:47 AM

I knew Jedward couldn't enter for England, but I couldn't think of any other examples. And I knew I wasn't the only one!

CWater
2012-05-26, 05:31 PM
Bet the Swedes are happy now,:smallamused: this is what they life for after all..:smalltongue:

I prefered the Russian grandmas though:smallsmile:
And Denmark, Macedonia and Albania weren't bad either.

I expect Scandinavia and the World to make a comic about this:smallsmile:

Mx.Silver
2012-05-26, 07:35 PM
I knew Jedward couldn't enter for England, but I couldn't think of any other examples.
I'm honestly rather envious you've managed to suppress all memory of Scooch.

And I knew I wasn't the only one!
It's the internet; you're never the only one.

Raistlin1040
2012-05-26, 07:52 PM
American watching a few highlights on Youtube. Pretty sure Serbia ripped off Coldplay.

Also does anyone actually like Jedward?

factotum
2012-05-27, 01:04 AM

Apparently enough people that they got nearly four times as many points as Engelbert Humperdinck...

Seriously, I don't know why we even bother. The political voting that's been rampant since the 2000s means that only people with lots of friends in Europe have any chance, and we don't have any friends there as far as I can tell.

Robert Blackletter
2012-05-27, 01:28 AM
Apparently enough people that they got nearly four times as many points as Engelbert Humperdinck...

Seriously, I don't know why we even bother. The political voting that's been rampant since the 2000s means that only people with lots of friends in Europe have any chance, and we don't have any friends there as far as I can tell.

To be fair, most brits see it as a joke and have as long as I can remember

Icedaemon
2012-05-27, 02:02 AM
This was one of the better Eurovisions in the last few years in my opinion - there was relatively little pointless boring popschlock (Norway netted last place in the final with it, greece had its usual stuff and a few others), so I actually watched most of it.

More importantly, Estonia's entry was not embarrassing. The songs which competed neck-and-neck for entry to the contest were both decent solo acts instead of some gimmicky nonsense that'd get laughed at.

Mx.Silver
2012-05-27, 05:30 AM
I put their success down to the efforts of the irony/troll crowd.

Closet_Skeleton
2012-05-27, 06:08 AM

We have to keep the British spirit of fair play alive somewhere :smallwink:

Prime32
2012-05-27, 06:39 AM
Also does anyone actually like Jedward?Young-to-teenage girls mostly. Something to do with the implied incest. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GuyOnGuyIsHot)

Lothston
2012-05-28, 06:21 AM
W00T, Russia got second place! Go, Babushkas!

Also, grats to Sweden for winning. Next time, it's Stockholm!

Weimann
2012-05-28, 07:19 AM
Heh, looks like we won. I was at work during the broadcast but I heard it yesterday. That's pretty nice. :smallbiggrin: Our piece this year was one of the better in a long time, I must admit. Will be fun to have it in Stockholm next year.

Avilan the Grey
2012-05-28, 08:36 AM
For once I liked the Swedish song. Personal favorite for both me and my wife was Italy. Very Amy Winehouse.

Quite high level of quality on this years show, with only one "joke" entry, Russia (which I couldn't stand; although it was very familiar, and nostalgic, to those of us old enough to remember when ALL acts from ALL countries were like that...)

Aidan305
2012-05-28, 11:17 AM
I thought the Irish Eurovision joke was that they'd won it so much that they were now actively trying not to? Hence the singing turkey and the Jedward twins.
That's pretty much it. I recall there was a joke on Father Ted a while back that Ireland stopped sending good candidates because we couldn't afford to run it anymore. These days we just don't really care about it and send in silly entries in an effort to send up the whole thing.

And don't mock the Turkey. He once received a fairly significant proportion of presidential votes, despite not being allowed to run (He had the highest 1st preference vote in Dublin IIRC). He's popular over here.

rakkoon
2012-05-28, 01:10 PM
I quite agree with the results for once.
Sweden first place, Russia second. I liked Austria and Switserland too but what can you do?

Ireland...I see the twins coming back when they are both 77 too

Elder Tsofu
2012-05-29, 04:06 PM
I put their success down to the efforts of the irony/troll crowd.

I liked it quite a bit. Started with "man this is so bad it is good" and then it sort of stuck. :smalltongue:
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/Tsofu/Fate-SN/Jedward.png

Hazzardevil
2012-05-29, 04:32 PM
I'm honestly rather envious you've managed to suppress all memory of Scooch.

It's the internet; you're never the only one.

I haven' watched it, I jsut know the UK came 2nd. Too last.

Prime32
2012-05-29, 07:07 PM
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/Tsofu/Fate-SN/Jedward.pngThis... I... what.

rakkoon
2012-05-30, 09:56 AM
Fabulous avi :smalltongue:
If Eurovision was more popular we could start a trend

Elder Tsofu
2012-05-30, 12:43 PM
This... I... what.

Dumbstruck by the sheer beauty of it? :smalltongue:
Not everything has to have firm logical roots. :smallwink: