PDA

View Full Version : (ML) Curse of the Crimson Throne IC - Edge of Anarchy

Moonlight
2012-05-23, 08:01 AM
Even now as the sun begins to sink under the horizon, hundreds if not thousands of multicolored pseudodragons flit about the sky over the neo-Cheliaxian city of Korvosa. For those today that witnessed their first Pseudodragon Festival, while the flying tiny dragonkin seem unremarkable, the sheer number in the sky over the course of the day at times nearly blotted out the sun, and even for the locals it seemed like the number of tiny dragons had increased this year from last.

With the setting of the sun, the temperature begins to drop rapidly leaving many to reach for even heavier cloaks and shawls than worn during the day. In the middle of the last month of the year, the temperatures of the city itself seem to be tolerable. Although, any of the locals know that the nights will only get colder as winter takes its hold of the throat of the frontier city. Now, with many of the pseudodragons clearing the sky as night begins to settle, you’re able to see the red and purple colors reflected in the clouds above, heavy and promising of rain or if it dare to be cold enough, snow.

We begin our story following the actions of six seemingly unremarkable men of the city, many foreign to the city while two call its walls home. While about their day to day, a courier approaches, asking for them by name and offering an envelope that appears worn with transport. Their names scrawled on the front in a loopy, obviously woman’s handwriting. Inside, a painted card that looks as if it’s near comical in the way its drawn, and yet it’s recognized as one of the Harrow Cards generally used by the gypsies of the land in fortune or telling of the future. It’s an odd, if not grotesque image of a woman holding a severed man’s head over grapes she holds, the card aptly named The Betrayal (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/SweetCharity2005/Curse%20of%20the%20Crimson%20Throne/thebetrayal.jpg). Upon turning the card over a message is scrawled on the back, recognized as the same handwriting from the envelope with ease.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/SweetCharity2005/Curse%20of%20the%20Crimson%20Throne/backofthecard.jpg

Cloudsmeet
2012-05-23, 08:12 AM
Weylin, fresh from the Pseudodragon Festival, holds up his hand to the courier to ask him not to leave as he reads the strange message.

"Wait, man. Who gave you this?"

Already now this turn of events is making him regret being distracted by the colourful sight for even a moment.

King Tius
2012-05-23, 08:18 AM
Aurelius Stormscale, Human Paladin
The young paladin arrived in Korvosa only two weeks ago and is still quite new to its customs and geography. When the courier finds him and delivers the note, a look of worry furrows his brow. Does Father know I'm here? Have I been found so quickly? As he reads the Harrow Card the look of worry quickly turns to one of excitement. A lead! Finally, someone who's willing to talk. The joy quickly fades as he remembers why he is looking in the first place. Slipping the card into the back of his gauntlet, Aurelius takes off at a determined pace to find Lancet Street. He makes it almost a hundred yards in one direction before realizing he has no idea where that is. Feeling slightly defeated, he begins to ask for directions from the first seemly-looking person he can find. He plans to find this place straight away and await sunset there.

Arillius
2012-05-23, 11:02 AM
Felix

Felix was pretty sure he made the courier quite uncomfortable, but he was curious about how the man had found him. He had been sitting in a random alley way within Old Korvosa, flicking a dagger about from one hand to the other. He hadn't even told anyone where he would be, not knowing himself where he might decide to rest tonight.

"All I'd like to know is how you found me." Felix says aloud to the man, smiling rather pleasantly. Given his unique features, it probably made him just look sinister. Felix didn't care. The message the courier had brought was to interesting to ignore, but it's potential source to dangerous to run in blindly.

Whatever answer Felix got, the young man was to curious to simply give up on the card. Whatever danger it may hold, Felix had a score to settle with the person the card spoke of. If this was really another enemy of that man and not some trap, it would be worth the risk. With only a moments pause he heads off toward Lancet and any potential info on the person who hurt Nadira, pulling his hood up and masking his face with shadows before he leaves the alley way of course. His tail even curls up behind him so it's swaying does not give away what he was. 'Gaedran. One of the few men vile enough to make me reconsider my no torture policy.'

As he neared the street, however, Felix is struck with a thought. The crowd was to busy during this festival for anyone to really follow or keep an eye on
one man in a cloak. With some ease he manages to slip away from the crowd and into an alley way across the street and to the left of the house mentioned in the note. Once there he waits in the shadows and watches the door to see who else might arrive.

OOC
More in a sec, maybe.
[roll0] Stealth
[roll1] Perception

Looks like I'll take 10 on that perception, if I need too. -sigh-

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-05-23, 12:41 PM
"I'm surprised you even knew who I was," Eilif says to himself.

He turns the card over in his hand a bit, taking in the message and pondering the meaning of the symbols. He'd met a Harrower in Kalsgard, but he never really paid attention to prophecy. A man's fate can change in an instant. Still, it was a lead to Gaedren and a lead to him meant a lead to Hyglak.

He asks a few passerby for directions to this 3 Lancet Street and is there about an hour before sunset, observing the others who arrive.

Menteith
2012-05-23, 04:50 PM
Norian wordlessly accepted the card, and nodded his thanks to the courier.

Interesting. I wonder who actually sent this - and I also wonder why they chose to approach me with a card of Betrayal. I haven't been nearly as careful as I thought, if someone noticed my interest in him. Still, this is my best chance at getting to him, and I can't risk losing this opportunity.

With the time he had left before sundown, he headed back to Whitecaps to ready himself. He prepared the extracts he thought he would need, trying to remember everything he knew about harrow cards and those who used them. As sundown approached, he set out, carefully watching for anyone who showed too much interest about the building.

Out of character
Prepares extracts of Shield, True Strike, and Disguise Self.

Makes a Knowledge Check (let me know what kind it is, so I can add in the appropriate bonus) [roll0]

Makes a Perception Check as he approaches the building [roll1]

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-05-23, 04:58 PM
He notices a burly Ulfen man, clean-shaven, unlike most such men, dressed in clearly foreign clothes with a great, expensive-looking bow, a bow that looks like it was carved from the horns of some great beast.

Menteith
2012-05-23, 06:19 PM
You see a Half-Orc is well worn traveling leathers staring at you. He glances at the door to the building, and then back at you, and raises an eyebrow. Aside from a small knife on his belt, he doesn't appear to be armed, although he has numerous pouches sown onto his clothing.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-05-23, 06:33 PM
"Ho there!"

Eilif waves Norian over.

"You get a note too?"

His voice has a very strong Skald accent, as if he'd just stepped off one of the Linnorm Kings' famed dragon ships.

Menteith
2012-05-23, 06:38 PM
I...yes, I did. Do you know what's going on?

He seems nervous, and frequently scans the street.

OOC
I can't find Lancet Street on the map in the player's guide, what district is it in? Depending on where it is, Norian might behave differently.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-05-23, 06:46 PM
"No more than you, apparently. I didn't even know I'd made enough of an impression in my short time here to be called to help this city with her troubles."

Menteith
2012-05-23, 06:57 PM
Right now, I'm more concerned with my own problems than the city's. Are you trying to find Gaedren Lamm as well?

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-05-23, 07:12 PM
"I am indeed. He's the only lead I have to try and find my brother."

Moonlight
2012-05-23, 07:31 PM
"Wait, man. Who gave you this?"

The boy courier, wire thin, shrugs his rather broad shoulders. "A pretty lady," he answers the question.

"All I'd like to know is how you found me."

The young boy who delivers your letter gives plenty of space between you as you smile. He noticeably gulps and shrugs. "The woman that asked me to deliver it said you'd be here," he responds in almost a question, wishing to simply hurry away. When the opportunity comes, the boys bounds away as quick as his short legs can carry him.

3 Lancet street sits cozied on the docks of Midland in the shadow of the tall Citadel Volshyenek. Its door faces a small alley and even just from looking around the neighborhood it tells you something of the sender of the letters: they're of the working class and barely seem to make it by themselves with the few coppers they have. The door is left ever-so-slightly ajar for those that venture nearby, and through the open window beside the door wafts the scent of freshly baked bread from within.

Menteith
2012-05-23, 07:31 PM
I hope your brother is safe. I myself do not know any other ways to find Gaedren, but I worry that this meeting could be a trap. If Gaedren was looking for a way to find his enemies, what better way to do so than invite them all to the same location, and see who attended? I dislike this. Still, we're not spoiled for choice, and must trust that the sender of the letter is honorable.

Cloudsmeet
2012-05-23, 07:56 PM
Weylin shrugs. "Don't know anyone who really could be described as a pretty lady. Off you go lad, and take this for your troubles." He reaches into a pouch and flicks a couple of copper coins at the courier.

He waits until sundown before arriving at the address, but barely spares a glance at the Ulfen man and half-orc waiting at the door, but marches right in with barely a warning knock.

They see a wiry dwarf, thin for his kind dressed in stout, no-nonsense hide armor. He seems heavily armed, with a number of spears and a shield on his back and an axe at his sight, and he is utterly focused on who, or what, may be behind the door.

Arillius
2012-05-23, 08:02 PM
Felix

Listening from the shadows, Felix heard and saw a lot that interested him but answered little. In fact, everything just seemed to raise more questions. Whoever it was had been able to find him in the middle of old Korvosa. Even Kroft had trouble finding him every once in a while there and she had the next best thing to an army. Then again, if she didn't always come looking for him personally she'd probably have less trouble.

At any rate, Felix hadn't been anywhere. If it was an alley way he subconsciously visited a lot he hadn't noticed. Somehow the person who had sent the card had known where he would be. Curious. Not only that, she seemed to have picked up at least one foreigner who was new to the city. Someone with a bone to pick with the Gaedran. Curious indeed.

Felix was torn between revealing his presence and waiting to see if there were any others. Given the majority of peoples reactions to his race, Felix decided on the former and hung back in his cozy little hiding spot, watching the door, the people that arrived and fresh bread for some reason. The half-orc's theory was an interesting one, but if Gaedran knew where to find all of the people that had a grudge against them, the last thing the criminal would do was tip them off about it. 'No, he'd probably do what I'd do to him. Slip a knife between their ribs before anyone noticed. This way... ruins whatever surprise he might have. Everyone will be wary.'

Just as this thought crosses his mind a dwarf barges into the home armed to the teeth. 'Another party guest?'

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-05-23, 08:42 PM
I hope your brother is safe. I myself do not know any other ways to find Gaedren, but I worry that this meeting could be a trap. If Gaedren was looking for a way to find his enemies, what better way to do so than invite them all to the same location, and see who attended? I dislike this. Still, we're not spoiled for choice, and must trust that the sender of the letter is honorable.
"From what I've heard of this Gaedren, he doesn't sound smart enough to plan such a thing. He prefers to target milk-drinkers he can easily bully, through words or fists. If he called us here, it'd be suicide."

He is somewhat surprised as the dwarf barges past them.

"This is starting to look like an unexpected party."

Menteith
2012-05-23, 08:47 PM
Norian

Indeed. Well, there's only one way to solve this. Shall we?

Norian follows the dwarf into the building.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-05-23, 09:35 PM
Eilif nods and follows.

Moonlight
2012-05-23, 09:54 PM
The cozy chamber within this small home is filled with a fragrant haze of flowers, strong spice and freshly baked bread. The haze comes from several sticks of incense smoldering in wall-mounted burners that look like butterfly-winged elves. The smoke itself seems to soften edges and gives the room a dream-like feel. The walls are draped with brocaded tapestries, one showing a black-skulled beast juggling men’s hearts, another showing a pair of angels dancing atop a snow-blasted mountain. A third tapestry on the far wall depicts a tall hooded figure shrouded in mist, a flaming sword held in a skeletal hand. Several brightly-colored rugs cover the floor, but the room’s only furnishings are a wooden table covered by a bright red throw cloth and several elegant tall-backed chairs. A basket covered by blue cloth sits under the table, the cloth sticking to the lump underneath and warm to the touch. On the table sits a small note folded like a tent to sit so it's seen.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/SweetCharity2005/Curse%20of%20the%20Crimson%20Throne/note.jpg

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-05-23, 10:14 PM
Eilif snorts.

"This doesn't look suspicious at all."

Cloudsmeet
2012-05-23, 10:39 PM
With a curse, Weylin slumps down on one of the chairs. "I like this even less now that I have to wait for this mysterious 'pretty lady'." He finally notices the half orc and man that came in with him, and his hand goes to the axe at his waist as he stands again. "What's your business here, are you the others that the note spoke of or are you Gaelen's thugs?"

Menteith
2012-05-23, 10:49 PM
Norian

Norian appreciated the aroma - far too much of his time was spent stuffed into the cramped rooms he could afford to work in, with the foul-smelling reagents of his trade. He had grown to tolerate it, but that didn't mean he couldn't enjoy this.

Curious, that our host chooses the time of our meeting and is absent. It doesn't inspire confidence....

He trailed off as he turned to regard the heavily armed dwarf.

I seek no quarrel with you. I, too, am seeking Gaedren for his crimes.

Arillius
2012-05-23, 10:55 PM
Felix

The smell of bread on an empty stomach was perhaps the deciding factor for Felix to choose to enter the home at the time. Perhaps it was a trap, most likely it was not, but he was quite hungry. With steps near silent and an almost flowing gait Felix entered the home. His cloak hung about him, keeping any sign of his heritage hidden for those inside, and his hood hung low over his head to keep his face masked in shadow.

He moved almost immediately toward the source of the smell and lifted the basket onto the table. With a hand, hidden by his body from the others, he reached into the basket, took a loaf and moved over to a dark corner so he could eat without the others seeing his fingers, which were exposed because he preferred being able to feel his weapons as opposed to covering his fingers. Without fear he took a bite of the bread and proceeded to lounge in his corner. Somehow, despite having no part of his face exposed and most of his body covered by a heavy cloak, Felix still managed to look quite arrogant.

"Pretty good. I'll have to remember to thank our host." Felix says aloud, his voice cool and confident.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-05-23, 11:51 PM
Eilif

"Considering I wasn't even in this city till about a week ago, I doubt he'd have enough time to recruit me, master dwarf. And besides, if I knew where Gaedren was I'd be too busy wringing his neck to get him to tell me where my brother is."

He watches Felix enter and take some bread and laughs.

"Looks like it's safe after all. No sense in rejecting such hospitality, then!"

He breaks off a hunk of the bread and starts eating it where he stands.

Arillius
2012-05-24, 12:24 AM
Felix

With a chuckle Felix responds, "They could all be safe, yes. Or I could be the one who set up this meeting and grabbed the only safe one to lul you into a sense of false security. Or perhaps I'm like you and the poison has yet to take affect."

Another chuckle is followed by a rather hefty bite of the loaf in his hand, either displaying confidence or stupidity. "But you're probably right. It's more then likely safe. After all, there are much easier ways to kill people then inviting them into a home, which this quite clearly is, and making them too cautious and paranoid to even think about eating the food left out for them by mentioning someone as vile as Gaedren in their letters. Especially so near the Citadel belonging to Korvosa's finest."

His words, much like his stance and his general demeanor, are confident and smooth. It seems he is sure of himself, to say the least. "More then likely we have someone being honest in this city for a change, at least partially. I'm just curious how they found me. Us even. I was in a a random alley way within old Korvosa when I got the letter. I didn't even know exactly where I was, but apparently the women who sent the letter knew not only how to find me but you lot and probably more to come."

Cloudsmeet
2012-05-24, 01:01 AM
"So, you too have lost someone you love. My sympathies. May you be there to watch my axe split his skull. Yes, I seek Gaedren and I plan that his life will be short and painful once I have found him." Weylin shakes his head at the thought of others suffering the same fate.

"But you, stranger, who keeps himself cloaked. I don't trust those who hide their faces, but your logic is sound. And any enemy of Lamm's is an ally, at least for the time being. Even, and this is somewhat of an educated guess, no matter what your parentage may be."

Arillius
2012-05-24, 01:10 AM
Felix

A raised eyebrow that cannot be seen by most in the room is all the dwarf gets as an answer for a few seconds. A subtle shift in weight follows as Felix makes sure his arms are well and clear of the walls, allowing him quick access to numerous blades if need be. Some of them are even visible. Still, despite the subtle shift, which seemed very much like he was just leaning up against the wall, Felix laughs. "An enemy of Lamm? I suppose I could be called that. He never wronged me to be honest. I'm here because of what he did to a very dear friend of mine some time ago. Plus, he's scum. I don't like scum like him in my city."

With a grin Felix finishes off his loaf of bread and continues, "If my parentage is a concern to you, however, you may be glad to know that it's of no concern to me. I was a raised by a half-orc." He pauses for a moment, one of his hands going to his chin as he ponders a thought. "To be fair, though, I probably would be a fair bit less dangerous if my real family had raised me. Bosco is a rather scary individual."

Cloudsmeet
2012-05-24, 01:21 AM
Weylin snorts, and he relaxes, tension gone. "I think I like you, stranger. If this does turn out to be a trap, and we have to fight our way out, I think I will enjoy doing so alongside you. All of you." He pauses, and gestures to Eilif and Norian. "And if we die here, I certainly could have chosen worse companions."

He reaches for bread, and starts eating, one hand still on his axe but with no intention of using it.

PChubby
2012-05-24, 06:33 AM
Narz was listening to a performer at the Bard's End when the messenger found him. He quickly glanced around for prying eyes as he took the offered note and palmed the messenger a few copper for his trouble. Narz cautiously moved to a secluded booth to read the contents. What an odd message. He thought as he tumbled the card in his fingers. Someone watched me close enough to have it delivered. I will have to be more careful. He was still adjusting to the closed in spaces and lack of privacy these "civilized" people had.

Narz took some time finding his way to Lancet St. He was used to open spaces and direct routes, not the maze of streets and alleys that made up the city. He was determined to get the hang of things and asked for directions three times before he finally found his destination. He approached the address and sighed heavily before entering. Well.. Lets see what this is all about. He thought as he opened the door and blinked with surprise at the motley group gathered inside.

"Uh Hello. It seems I'm late. Hope I didn't keep everyone waiting." he said with a shy wave and a smile.

King Tius
2012-05-24, 07:28 AM
A young and dapper looking man in chainmail steps into the house. He seems somewhat taken aback at the number of people present but quickly tries not to show it. Drawing the Harrow Card from the back of his gauntlet, he holds it up and asks:

"Am I in the right place? Still don't know my way around this city. Where's Gaedren?"

Moonlight
2012-05-24, 08:51 AM
A pretty woman of middle age and obvious Varisian decent opens the door behind Aurelius, a smile gracing her face. She's a shorter woman with an olive complexion and shoulder-length brown hair. She nods to the young man in answer to his question.

"You are in the right place," she says in the softest of voices. "And it looks like everyone else is here. Won't you all sit down?" She motions to the table and chairs before taking one herself. She takes out a set of elaborately decorated Harrow Cards as she sits and begins to shuffle the cards near mindlessly, and yet the cards seem to dance between her hands making her skill with the deck quite obvious. She introduces herself as Zellara and continues to shuffle the deck giving the others present an opportunity to introduce themselves.

“Thank you all for coming, my friends, and for putting up with my unconventional method of contacting you. I have reason to remain hidden, you see—a terrible man would see great harm done to me if he knew I was reaching out for help. This is a man you know, for he has done something terrible to each of you as well. I speak, of course, of Gaedren Lamm, a man whose cruelty and capacity to destroy the lives of those he touches are matched only by his gift for avoiding reprisal. You see, a year ago, his thieves stole this, my Harrow deck, from me. It is important to me, an heirloom passed down through a dozen generations, and also my sole means of support. When pickpockets stole it, my son, Eran, tracked them down. The thieves were in the employ of Gaedren Lamm, and in reward for finding them, Gaedren murdered my son.

“I sought help from the Guard, but they turned me away. And so I asked around. I paid bribes. I consulted my Harrow deck for advice. And recently, I was rewarded—I found out where Gaedren dwells. He can be found in an old fishery north of here at Westpier 17, where he trains his abducted children to be pickpockets and counts his stolen treasures.

“And now, I need your help. I cannot hope to face this man on my own, and the Guard moves so slowly that if I were to go to them, Gaedren would certainly know of their coming well in advance. Even if they did arrest him—what guarantee would I have he would be punished? This criminal has evaded the law for decades. But you know of these frustrations as well, for word on the street has it that Gaedren has wronged each of you, too. So there we are. It is time for him to pay.”

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-05-24, 10:55 AM
"Well met, Zellara. Eilif is my name. Eilif One-Arrow, of the Lands of the Linnorm Kings."

When Zellara mentions the death of her son, Eilif blanches.

"Please Gods, don't let that have happened to Hyglak." he murmurs.

Arillius
2012-05-24, 01:34 PM
Felix

Smiling at the woman, Felix waves off the offer of a chair. "If you don't mind, I'd rather keep to my corner." The words the truth, though not for any obvious reason for most in the room. Felix still didn't know any of those he was with and wished to keep his heritage hidden until he was sure he would not be ostracized for it. Felix was also curious how the woman would respond. Did she know what he was as well? Most people who knew his name simply knew he wore a heavy cloak to hide his features.

Her story brings a sour note to Felix's thoughts. Up until this point he had been rather happy at the prospect of being able to rid Korvosa of such a man. Now, however, he was reminded of all that man had done. Happiness was slowly being replaced by anger, especially as memories of Nadira's experience with the man came to the forefront of his mind.

"I agree. Let us be rid of this man once and for all. You say he is at this fishery. Do you know how many of his men are there with him? Do you know if he'll have any surprises for intruders?" His tone was still confident, but it was a great deal more serious then it had been before Zellara had arrived.

Menteith
2012-05-24, 07:18 PM
Norian

Before we commit to this, are we certain of the man's evil? As of yet, I only have my suspicions of his crimes. If he is responsible, I agree that he must be stopped - but killing him, if that's what we are discussing, is rather final, and it is not a course that I embark upon lightly. Regardless, I agree that this fishery needs to be investigated, but I believe we must confirm his guilt before drastic action is undertaken.

Arillius
2012-05-24, 07:25 PM
Felix

"Though, in the grand scheme of things, his crimes may be petty and more personally offensive to the people he has harmed, as opposed to being some source of great destruction like many villains this world has, I can without a doubt say that this man is evil. Among his many crimes you can count drug dealing, theft, and the kidnapping, torture and murder of children. If it were not for the difficulty of hunting him down and finding him alone, I would have let him feel the cold steal of my blades long ago. For many, many hours if I could arrange it." Felix manages to remain composed through most of his words, but around the time he starts talking about Lamms crimes against children his voice almost literally starts dripping with malice. Though Nadira had not been so important to him when he first found the girl, memories of how badly she had been beaten still clung to his mind. She had almost been killed by that monster. "I will settle for ending his life, however."

Menteith
2012-05-24, 10:58 PM
Norian

I...I see. Forgive me, I did not know the degree of his crimes. I only knew that he might be connected to a murder of my mother, and I lacked evidence to even confirm that. Zellara, if Gaedren is as well informed as you claim we should move on him tonight. If you were able to find out about us, it's possible he knows as well. What other information can you give us about his defenses?

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-05-24, 11:05 PM
Norian

Before we commit to this, are we certain of the man's evil? As of yet, I only have my suspicions of his crimes. If he is responsible, I agree that he must be stopped - but killing him, if that's what we are discussing, is rather final, and it is not a course that I embark upon lightly. Regardless, I agree that this fishery needs to be investigated, but I believe we must confirm his guilt before drastic action is undertaken.
Eilif

"I didn't know a half-orc could be skittish. One arrow can change the course of history, friend, and I think the world will be better off if someone like Gaedren is relegated to history and can't darken any child's future...or cut it short."

Menteith
2012-05-24, 11:22 PM
Eilif

"I didn't know a half-orc could be skittish. One arrow can change the course of history, friend, and I think the world will be better off if someone like Gaedren is relegated to history and can't darken any child's future...or cut it short."

Norian

If he deserves death, then he does. It is not a question of courage. If I am to commit to a course that ends a man's life, I wish to be sure that he deserves that fate. Norian sighed. And it appears that he does. If we are to embark on this together, we deserve to know who our companions are. I am called Norian.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-05-24, 11:48 PM
Eilif

"As I said earlier, I am Eilif One-Arrow, born in the Lands of the Linnorm Kings, recently arrived in Korvosa by way of Kalsgard looking for my brother, Hyglak, who was sold to Gaedren as a slave years ago."

Eilif shakes Norian's hand.

Arillius
2012-05-25, 12:34 AM
Felix

Felix sticks to his corner and takes a few moments to calm himself down. When he's sure he won't sound like he'll bite other peoples heads off he replies, "My name is Felix. Felix Grayson. You'll forgive me if I don't shake hands. I have..." He looks to the dwarf to ensure the man wouldn't say anything, "Issues I tend to share with people only after I get to know them."

Cloudsmeet
2012-05-25, 05:13 AM
Weylin winks at the cloaked figure.

"My name is Weylin. Orcs took my wife and Lamm took my son, and my axe thirsts for the blood of either. Pardoning certain company of course," he says, gesturing towards Norian. "I find that human blood tends to be stronger than orcish when it comes to the mind, and so I reserve my judgement. In any case, not only do I fight with this axe and these spears, but with wind and water and all else under Gozreh's domain that can aid me in my vengeance."

Moonlight
2012-05-29, 07:44 PM
The woman seems to nod as the party joins together, a near proud, maternal glint coming to her eye.

"I do know," she offers in a break in the conversation, "that the Fishery houses many of Gaedren's Lambs - the children he's extorted to do his dirty work. I hope you find your loved ones there," she nods to Weylin and Eilif. "And I truly do. While it's too late for my son, it may not be too late for them." She pauses, sitting tall in her chair, looking around the room with a questioning glance. "You'll go then?"

Arillius
2012-05-29, 09:02 PM
Felix

With a grin hidden to most by the cowl of his cloak Felix pushes himself off the wall he had been leaning against. Odd that he didn't seem to use his arms, still crossed against his chest, but perhaps he was simply nimble or something. "I'm wounded that you would think I was capable of turning away from such an opportunity, especially after hearing your own tale and apparently knowing ours."

He grins and gives Zellara a bow, "Hopefully, by the end of this night, our problems will be solved and the monster slain. Of course we will also do what we can to aid the children we come across and let no harm come to them, won't we?"

Felix's eyes, smoldering yellow eyes without pupils, actually seem to shine for the briefest of moments as he looks at the others in the room. Then again, maybe it was a trick of the light and those were not his eyes. The light faded quickly enough. The question seemed innocuous, but a threat hung just beneath the surface of those innocent words that spoke of bad things happening to any who tried to harm the children. Whatever he was, whatever he was hiding, Felix was surely quite confident to threaten several others. The scary thing was, he didn't seem the least bit concerned by numbers.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-05-29, 11:33 PM
"You're a poetic one, Korvosan. Remind me a lot of Master Shirota. He taught me everything I know about the bow, but sometimes his sayings and whatnot got irritating."

He looks to Zellara.

"Rest easy, good woman. This night, your son will be avenged, and hopefully...my brother will be saved at long last."

Menteith
2012-05-30, 02:37 PM
Norian

From what he's done to all of us, Gaedren has escaped justice far too often. No one is as lucky as he, and I fear that he may have power over the guard. It would not be the first instance of corruption in this city. We should strike out before he has a chance to prepare for us, regardless. Are you all prepared to move on him tonight, now?

Cloudsmeet
2012-06-01, 08:08 AM
"Aye. We should move hard and fast, and immediately. Give Gaedren no chance to hear of our coming. Unless there's something we should take into consideration that you know of, ma'am?" Gaedren nods at Zellara here. "Otherwise, I'm ready to move now. My axe is ready."

Moonlight
2012-06-01, 09:05 AM
Zellara is silent, a proud mother looking over the family. She shakes her head looking as if she was about to cry. "Please don't do anything foolhardy. I will not be home when you're done, but you're welcome to stay here to recover should you need," she stands from the table, a look of relief coming over her face. "Thank you, all of you."

Arillius
2012-06-01, 02:18 PM
Felix

With a flourished bow Felix says, "Thank you for the bread. It was quite good." Then he makes his departure through the door and starts heading toward the fishery.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-06-01, 03:06 PM
"Many thanks for your hospitality and the information, Zellara. Don't worry. We'll make sure we come out of this alive and Gaedren doesn't."

Moonlight
2012-06-03, 10:43 AM
By the time the party leaves the small house on Lancet Street the sun has set on the Varisian frontier city leaving it in a quiet sleep as those of the city retreat into a tavern or home. The walk to the Fishery per Zellara's instructions is short though crammed to the gills with houses, shops and small taverns, as would be expected of the Midtown docks. Even as the party passes one of the smaller pubs of the city, singing can be heard from within that fills the street.

The Fishery isn't as hard to find as one might imagine. The reek of brine and the stink of week-dead fish hang thickly in the air around the building. The old double doors in the side of this weathered building are tightly closed, with a drooping signpost hanging above. The sign it once displayed is long gone, leaving behind only a single short length of rusted chain. A dock on the side of the building seems to wrap itself around and into the Jeggare River behind.

Arillius
2012-06-03, 11:22 AM
Felix

The tiefling, unused to working with a group toward a common goal, sets off into the shadows surrounding the fishery in search of information. He was not picky. Finding some guards at watch, some doors that opened into a more discreet entrance, or even simply the sound of voices would do. Quite expertly he circles the building, hardly making a sound. If only that nasty smell didn't burn his eyes as well as his nose, causing him to have to blink away tears and perhaps miss some details every once in a while.

OOC
[roll0] Stealth
[roll1] Percetion

Moonlight
2012-06-05, 12:06 PM
Felix makes his way around the building, find a little bit of light coming through the.Windows and yet the grime caked on the glass gives only figures beyond and nothing definitive. Behind the fishery is a small boat, appearing to be uninhabited.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-06-05, 03:40 PM
Felix soon finds Eilif following him, and despite being built like an ox, the Ulfen is surprisingly light on his feet.

Stealth: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

Arillius
2012-06-05, 06:50 PM
Felix

Felix wouldn't really notice his tag along at first but when he does he gives the guy a nod. When they spot the boat he takes several moments of studying the area to see if they're alone before whispering, "Out of plain old paranoia I feel like we should cut that boat free, just so we don't have to go swimming tonight. What do you think?"

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-06-05, 07:24 PM
"You have more experience in the cities than I do. I'll follow your lead."

Arillius
2012-06-07, 08:46 PM
Felix

Felix shrugs his shoulders and decides the risk outweighs any potential reward. He'll remember the boats existence though, just in case. "Lets head back. We got something useful." He whispers to the man behind him, turning around to head back to the group with their lack of info. When he gets there he says, still in a whisper, "I found a window some of us can go through. I suggest those of us that can should sneak through their, while the rest of the group goes through the front door. So far we got me and this guy," Felix nods to his tag along, "Anyone else good at keeping hidden?"

Menteith
2012-06-07, 10:17 PM
I can conceal myself well enough, if need be. Alternately, I could attempt to infiltrate the building in another way. With this - Norian retrieves a small metal vial from a pouch on his belt - I can change my appearance for a time. I'd rather not risk a direct assault while we have other options, in any case.

Cloudsmeet
2012-06-13, 05:53 AM
"I've never been the stealthiest of dwarves, and dwarves aren't sneaky fellows at any rate. So I'm not your dwarf, I'm afraid."

Weylin shakes his head.

"But when it comes to action I'll be there, I can promise you that!"

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-06-13, 11:05 AM
I can conceal myself well enough, if need be. Alternately, I could attempt to infiltrate the building in another way. With this - Norian retrieves a small metal vial from a pouch on his belt - I can change my appearance for a time. I'd rather not risk a direct assault while we have other options, in any case.
"But then the question becomes whether you're a good enough liar that they fall for it. If Gaedren already knows we know where he is, he and his goons are likely on the defensive and aren't going to trust someone who seems like a stranger or a deceiver."

King Tius
2012-06-15, 09:15 AM
Aurelius looks down at his armor and shrugs. "I can sneak about as well as I can sing in this armor. I'll go through the front and make sure they're plenty distracted. Let's get to it before they're tipped off that we're here."

The young paladin begins to walk towards the double doors, taking a wide arc and walking at a slow enough pace that the rest of the group has time to fall in behind him or sneak towards the window. Once everyone is in position (or close enough), he'll draw his sword and kick open the door.

Cloudsmeet
2012-06-15, 09:35 AM
"I'm with you. Let's do this quickly and quiet-like."

Weylin follows closely behind Aurelius, his hand on his axe and druidic incantations that might avail him running through his head.

Menteith
2012-06-15, 03:28 PM
I am ready. On your mark, I will be right behind you. Norian exchanges the vial he'd drawn a minute ago with a different one, and prepares to drink it.

Out of Character
Move 10 feet away from the door. Ready action to consume Extract of Shield immediately before someone attempts to open the door, or if combat begins.