PDA

View Full Version : Gate monitoring devices

Peelee
2012-05-23, 11:05 AM
In the second panel here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0844.html), we are told that each gatekeeper has a monitoring device on all other gates. When Shojo learned of both Lirian's and Dorukan's Gates falling, he sent paladins to investigate. Now three Gates have fallen, and the last fell when the Draketooth clan (though not necessarily Girard) were still alive. Even given that the Order of the Scribble had a laissez-faire policy on all Gates except their own, and the extremely insular nature of the Draketooth family, wouldn't at least some preparations be made in addition to the standard Gate defenses since a clear and viable threat is being made upon the two still standing? Otherwise, what's the purpose of even having the monitoring devices in the first place? Did the Draketeeth ignore the warning signs? Or have we just not seen any additional defenses they put in place?

Forikroder
2012-05-23, 11:43 AM
In the second panel here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0844.html), we are told that each gatekeeper has a monitoring device on all other gates. When Shojo learned of both Lirian's and Dorukan's Gates falling, he sent paladins to investigate. Now three Gates have fallen, and the last fell when the Draketooth clan (though not necessarily Girard) were still alive. Even given that the Order of the Scribble had a laissez-faire policy on all Gates except their own, and the extremely insular nature of the Draketooth family, wouldn't at least some preparations be made in addition to the standard Gate defenses since a clear and viable threat is being made upon the two still standing? Otherwise, what's the purpose of even having the monitoring devices in the first place? Did the Draketeeth ignore the warning signs? Or have we just not seen any additional defenses they put in place?

they wouldnt ahve put more defenses in place because they already think they have the perfect defense and theres no way to buff it any further

and since we literally havent seen any of there defense since it all expired due to them all dieing we cant say if they did or didnt upgrad there defense

and no the warning system literally has no purpose at all

Fitzclowningham
2012-05-23, 11:46 AM
I can't imagine what the purpose of the devices was. I only hope the OotS thought to grab Draketooth's.

Kish
2012-05-23, 12:04 PM
Girard was apparently long dead when Lirian's Gate fell. At this point, I'm wondering if the scene at Girard's Gate since Xykon started moving has been increasing panic from a few dozen mid-level illusionists with no illusions (heh) about their chances against a threat to any of the other Gates.

Forikroder
2012-05-23, 12:12 PM
I can't imagine what the purpose of the devices was. I only hope the OotS thought to grab Draketooth's.

it wouldnt really help them even assuming its movable there right next to Girards gate so if it goes boom then theyd know so its only use would be learning the status of Kraagars gate

Peelee
2012-05-23, 01:43 PM
they wouldnt ahve put more defenses in place because they already think they have the perfect defense and theres no way to buff it any further

They never said they had a perfect defense. Just that they thought they had a better way of defending than the others. That the others are falling could be a testament to that, but it would still probably freak our quite a few people, as Kish pointed out (and which was a point I was hoping to logically arise)

and since we literally havent seen any of there defense since it all expired due to them all dieing we cant say if they did or didnt upgrad there defense ageeed. I was wondering if there were any indications they might have been preparing for something (preparations which could still conceivably effect the current events, if any steps were indeed taken)

and no the warning system literally has no purpose at all

....out of curiosity, how would the warning system figuratively have no purpose at all?

zimmerwald1915
2012-05-23, 07:23 PM
The problem becomes more difficult when we realize that, even among the defenses we've seen, we have no way of telling which were in place before the fall of Lirian's Gate, and which were later augmentations. Unless there are records that go back decades instead of weeks lying around, and unless we are showed these records, we will never know. And it doesn't really matter.