PDA

View Full Version : More feats than you can shake a stick at

Mjollnir075
2012-05-23, 12:34 PM
Playground, something wonderful has happened. I come to you to aid me in this beautiful endeavor.

Here's the gist of things. Started a new PF game last night with a new DM. So far, he's pretty awesome. Good story hooks, interesting homebrewed world, yada yada..

Well, here's where it gets interesting.

In character creation, we all started by picking a kingdom from which we were the princes/cheiftan's sons/ect. We were also given 12 Inheritance points

Inheritance points in our game roughly translates to these things
We started with 12, and each level we gain 2 (or more, depending on in game stuff)
1 pt could be spent to increase a stat by 1 point.
1 pt could be spent to increase your skillpoints by 10
1 pt could be spent for 5000 gold
3 pts could be spent to learn a special ability determined by your homeland

I picked the lands of the swordsmen, the Plains of Saccaea. My class, Dervish Dancer Bard. It was only after this that he mentioned to me that he wanted this to be a low magic game which, obviously, puts a hamper on my Bard. So, we came to an agreement.

I would give up my spells for a special use of my Inheritance points.
For 1pt of Inheritance, I can purchase a feat. Yes. Which roughly means that at every level I could purchase 2 feats. For free.
For 3pts of Inheritance, I can learn a special swordmaster technique. He has a few already jotted down, but he told me that if I could come up with better techniques, I could save up points to learn them, and use points to make them stronger.

So Playgrounders, despite my overly long lead into this, I ask you..
What should I do with this?

So far,
DD Bard - lvl 5

Stats

Str - 13
Dex - 20
Con - 15
Int - 18
Wis - 11
Cha - 18

Feats

Feats thus far are (with all these free feats, I picked a couple for concept reasons)
Dodge (planning on getting Mobility, Wind stance, Lightning stance)
Two weapon fighting (and its compadres)
Improved Init.
Weapon Finesse (Dervish dancer feat eventually?)
Quick draw

Also the main party face and skillmonkey.

Please, Playgrounders, if you stuck with me this far..
What more should I do with all the feats I can get?
(btw, more or less limited to PG, APG and UC, but DM may be willing to lemme dip outside if its flavorful)

Thanks so much in advance.

Andorax
2012-05-23, 12:43 PM
Might take a look at Dragon 301...a whole chain of "parry" related feats that seems very much in line with what you're describing, but hard to justify taking unless you're somehow getting a whole slew of feats...which it seems you are.

Mjollnir075
2012-05-23, 12:45 PM
Might take a look at Dragon 301...a whole chain of "parry" related feats that seems very much in line with what you're describing, but hard to justify taking unless you're somehow getting a whole slew of feats...which it seems you are.

Ah, I would check it out but alas, this is pathfinder only. I apologize, I should have been clear on that. Thank you for your input, though!

stack
2012-05-23, 03:14 PM
Dervish dance can only be used with a scimitar in one hand and the other empty (no two-weapon fighting). Also, you don't need weapon finesse, as dervish dance covers that and you get it without pre-reqs.

This build can never have too much dexterity.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-05-23, 04:33 PM
Away from books (posting from phone while busy), but Combat Reflexes is a given. You get five extra attacks of opportunity - this is fantastic (even if you can't possibly use all of them), and it only gets better.

With the sheer number of feats you have, I would grab Power Attack, Combat Expertise, and all (relevant) variants, plus maybe Improved Grapple, Trip, and all (relevant) variants, just to have them. If you would rather narrow the scope, take chains (does Spring Attack still follow naturally from Mobility?). Butterfly's Sting is useful if you have a bruiser in the group. Gang Up is useful of you have a rogue-like. Tripping Strike is hilarious with a crit-fisher, if you follow the chain to its conclusion and get Greater Trip (nerfing the Combat Maneuver feats was a terrible decision on their part, I'd say). Combat Patrol is... Interesting; you're already grabbing Mobility and have the DEX to capitalize on tons of AoOs with Combat Reflexes, so I'd say try it out. I mean, conceivably you could have Greater Trip, Tripping Strike, Combat Patrol, Combat Reflexes and Stand Still as soon as they come, and be the redundant tripper of redundancy (but also do other things with the rest of your feats). The sky's the limit!

Mjollnir075
2012-05-23, 04:37 PM
Dervish dance can only be used with a scimitar in one hand and the other empty (no two-weapon fighting). Also, you don't need weapon finesse, as dervish dance covers that and you get it without pre-reqs.

This build can never have too much dexterity.

Hah, no kidding. Well, every level I could use one of my points to increase my dex. Good catch on the Dervish Dance feat, though. I must have missed it when I was skimming through it. However, I don't see where they get Weapon Finesse nor where they have pre-reqs.

Speaking of two weapon fighting, however..
Is this not the route I should be taking? I believe I would be allowed to shuffle feats around to be more fitting/flavorful/mechanically better. Any advice?

Mjollnir075
2012-05-24, 03:32 PM
Really? As many feats as I could want, and noone has any good feat combos for a dex-based melee class?

:smallfrown:

stack
2012-05-24, 03:51 PM
"Dervish Dance (Ex)

A Dawnflower dervish gains the Dervish Dance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/dervish-dance-combat) feat as a bonus feat.

This ability replaces bardic knowledge."

The feat pre-reqs are right on the feat listing. "Dexterity 13, Weapon Finesse, Perform (dance) 2 ranks, proficient with scimitar." You get the feat free at level 1, so you can ignore them.

Since you are using a scimitar, critical feats are nice once you get the BAB for them, though that tends to be steep. You can always take the feat that grants more spells known, the name of which escapes me.

Vital strike might be useful is you plan on moving a lot and not using your iteratives.

If 3.5 is allowed song of the heart to boost your IC bonuses, words of creation as well, toss in snowflake wardance too.

Mjollnir075
2012-05-24, 05:17 PM
"Dervish Dance (Ex)

A Dawnflower dervish gains the Dervish Dance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/dervish-dance-combat) feat as a bonus feat.

This ability replaces bardic knowledge."

The feat pre-reqs are right on the feat listing. "Dexterity 13, Weapon Finesse, Perform (dance) 2 ranks, proficient with scimitar." You get the feat free at level 1, so you can ignore them.

Since you are using a scimitar, critical feats are nice once you get the BAB for them, though that tends to be steep. You can always take the feat that grants more spells known, the name of which escapes me.

Vital strike might be useful is you plan on moving a lot and not using your iteratives.

If 3.5 is allowed song of the heart to boost your IC bonuses, words of creation as well, toss in snowflake wardance too.

Oh, my apologies. I, for some unknown reason, thought it was Weapon Finesse that was supposed to have pre-reqs. However, I am playing as the Dervish Dancer archetype for the bard, so I would have to get that feat myself (Lucky for me I already have the reqs done!)

The Crit. feats seem like a good choice, as does Vital Strike. I somehow hadn't ever really looked at it, but the higher powered ones look pretty nice.

Sadly, I gave up spells for (potentially) 2 feats per level, and we aren't allowed to snag stuff from 3.5. Thanks a lot for the idea/correction on my mistake!

Lonely Tylenol
2012-05-24, 06:59 PM
Really? As many feats as I could want, and noone has any good feat combos for a dex-based melee class?

:smallfrown:

I think the feat combo I listed is very good. It capitalizes quite nicely on the fact that a high-DEX character with Combat Reflexes gets an absurd number of attacks of opportunity, and with Combat Patrol can use them all over the place. On the enemy's initiative, your turn will be the most exciting. :smallbiggrin:

Mjollnir075
2012-05-24, 08:47 PM
Wow Lonely Tylenol, I have to apologize. I somehow managed to skip reading your post. That combo of "Greater Trip, Tripping Strike, Combat Patrol, Combat Reflexes and Stand Still" would work amazing with a bit of a crit. fisher, which, since I'm using a scimitar, seems the obvious choice.

Just have a big square of "Suck it, nerds"

Especially since my DM just emailed me, letting me know I could spend 2 Inheritance points to increase the crit range by 1, as many times as I feel like.

He kinda feels bad for taking away my spells, yet giving spells to our party Barbarian (his regional Inheritance ability)

Speaking of which, I know I only briefly mentioned this above, but he is allowing me to.. homebrew (sort of?) sword techniques.
The only one I have come up with, which he already green-lit, was a "Blade Rush", which is just getting to shoot forward 20 feet and take an attack against any enemy in a straight line, which can be upgraded for more range or damage.

I was a little wary of this idea at first, but he seems like he genuinely wants me to put some effort into these. Should I just crack open Tome of Battle and check out some maneuvers? Or, is there any love for specific homebrew martial styles that may compliment my character?