PDA

View Full Version : Sleepless Races?

BIGMamaSloth
2012-05-23, 06:48 PM
The campaign I'm playing in soon is using Ebberon as the campaign setting, so the DM gave us his copy of the Ebberon campaign setting book to read through. Now, I've always loved wands and staves and all number of magical knick knacks. Needless to say I developed an almost immediate love for the artificer class. We however don't always have a lot of free time to spend between adventures. My first thought was to play a Warforged (as far as I know they don't need to sleep) and work all night while all the other squishy types are sleeping. Is this okay by the rules? I saw in the magic Item creation list it says 8 hours a day but I doubt this means while the sun is up. So my question is if you have no need for sleep, can you stay up all night crafting? and are there any LA +0 races who truly don't need sleep?

Kuulvheysoon
2012-05-23, 06:57 PM
Note the other requirement for crafting item - mainly that you cannot engage in any kind of strenuous activity while trying to craft, including adventuring.

The best way to do that is to create the Dedicated Wright and let it buld things for you, preferably in a Portable Hole or the like.

Invader
2012-05-23, 07:03 PM
You can take the necropoltin template to become undead and you wouldn't have to sleep I think.

Agent 451
2012-05-23, 07:36 PM
Don't forget that like other casters, artificers need 8 hours of rest a day to replenish their infusions. You don't need to sleep, but you can't do anything else for those 8 hours.

BIGMamaSloth
2012-05-23, 10:03 PM
Don't forget that like other casters, artificers need 8 hours of rest a day to replenish their infusions. You don't need to sleep, but you can't do anything else for those 8 hours.

oh youre right! I suppose I should read more carefully next time. I looked up Dedicated Wright and it seems Perfect for creating Items while Im adventuring. Plus it looks very cute.

DigoDragon
2012-05-24, 07:08 AM
I guess that's a DM call, but my DM opinion is that I don't think its unreasonable for a Warforged to speed up their crafting time by working more than 8 hours a day. They don't eat, sleep, or need to pee.
Fleshy races could probably push themselves too, but they suffer fatigue which could lead to more mistakes when crafting.

killem2
2012-05-24, 08:14 AM
I don't think thrikreens sleep do they? And neither to elves. Not in the traditional sense anyway.

BIGMamaSloth
2012-05-24, 04:53 PM
I guess that's a DM call, but my DM opinion is that I don't think its unreasonable for a Warforged to speed up their crafting time by working more than 8 hours a day. They don't eat, sleep, or need to pee.
Fleshy races could probably push themselves too, but they suffer fatigue which could lead to more mistakes when crafting.

Oh I wasn't saying work more than 8 hours a day, just spend that 8 hours during the night instead of the day. I was notified this would cause me to not be able to use my infusions however.

Snowbluff
2012-05-24, 06:49 PM

A warlock, on the other hand, can Imbue Item at level 12. Also, looking at the class description and the SRD for SLAs, it doesn't seem they need rest to continously use them.

reddir
2012-05-25, 12:30 PM
There was a 3rd party (I think) supplement, which had a feat allowing one to count partial days in crafting. Basically, take the usual crafting time in days, * by 8, = total hours of crafting required. Then just count up the hours your character is able to craft.

So, if your party adventures for 10 hours, and you want your 8 hours of rest, you still have 6 hours during which you can craft.

---------------

A question: does a character not need a lab or workshop to do their magic item creation?