PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Strength/Constitution Based Casting + Rage + Rage Casting = Saiyan?

INoKnowNames
2012-05-23, 09:02 PM
I'm still trying to think about how to blow up cities as a Mage and be incredibly strong, when I ran across some random things. And while they don't quite satisfy the carnage I have in mind, there's something a bit... intreging about it that makes me want to find a way to work it into a build some how.

First, I wondered about spell casting. I'll probably release the thoughts that lead to this in another thread (although that thread is completely random and has no merrit but entertainment) later. I was thinking about a casting class that doesn't rely on a Mental Stat. I tried to search, and while I couldn't find any, I did find two race related gems worth inspecting:

From Races of Destiny, the Illumian. I honestly can't make heads or tails of this race, including how it doesn't have an LA despite the fact that it seems like it certainly should. However, if my eyes aren't failing me, I do recognise that it is capable of making any class it casts from cast from Dexterity. Or, more relevantly, Strength. And from that reckoning, this thread was born.

I started thinking that a Saiyan is more than just innumerably strong. A Saiyan is also borderline endurable. To that end, I started looking for a Constitution based Caster instead. And while I don't completely understand how it works, Races of Stone allows Dwarf Sorcerors to fit the bill. Hate the small size, but then again, the Prince of All Saiyans was a short guy.

I like Gestalt. This character, even just as a thought experiment, would probably be a Gestalt, though if I can get my Dm to approve Gestalt, I'll be rolling it out for sure. So one side would definitely be an Illumian (Caster) or Dwarven Sorceror. Maybe some prestige class to reduce Metamagic to make Explosive Metamagic, Empowered Metamagic, Enlarged, and other such, to make big blasts (in addition to all sorts of Weather Affects, possibly modified with Energy Substitution to get big Aoe blasts of Death-Over-Time).

But you gotta get transformations somehow, too... and my first thought was Rage. I only wish I could apply Goliath to either of those races somehow, to make the character grow a size (and fluff it by his hair getting bigger. XD). Still, Reckless Rage makes it even more appropriate, and Rage Casting would still allow for Quickened Blasts....

Anyone beat me to this? If not, how does this sound so far?

In the mean time, be inspired by this video of a Channeled Pyroburst that has had a hell of a lot of Metamagic added to it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA-WIynIzzs)

Randomguy
2012-05-23, 09:29 PM
I think there's a stoneblessed template or something that you can apply to humanoids (and some other creature types) that makes them count as goliaths for certain purposes.

ThiagoMartell
2012-05-23, 11:10 PM
Stoneblessed is a prestige class.

Waker
2012-05-23, 11:32 PM
A strength-based spellcaster? The closest I can come to it would be something along these lines
Illumian (Aeshkrau)
Barbarian 1/Battle Sorcerer 4/Rage Mage 4/Cancer Mage 1/Rage Mage X

That build isn't anywhere near optimal, but it's kinda funny. Cancer Mage was thrown in there to take advantage of Festering Anger, so your character can gain access to a silly amount of bonus spells. CM was delayed for feat requirements, but its attainable earlier if you take flaws.

darkbuu_1
2012-05-24, 02:22 AM
Don't forget about Bear Warrior from Complete Warrior. When you get angery you turn into a bear, I know it's not quite a giant ape that breaths laser but it seems pretty close.

Doorhandle
2012-05-24, 04:08 AM
Y'know, I have allways liked the idea of a form of magic where you litterly grab it and throw it an your foes. MIGHTCASTING!

INoKnowNames
2012-05-24, 08:49 PM
I think there's a stoneblessed template or something that you can apply to humanoids (and some other creature types) that makes them count as goliaths for certain purposes.

Stoneblessed is a prestige class.

Considering the Constitution Gain, it seems like this would work best for a Constitution based Caster, which would be good for a Dwarf. At the same time, can you have a Dwarf Goliath-Bonded Stoneblessed? That just sounds odd...

A strength-based spellcaster? The closest I can come to it would be something along these lines
Illumian (Aeshkrau)
Barbarian 1/Battle Sorcerer 4/Rage Mage 4/Cancer Mage 1/Rage Mage X

That build isn't anywhere near optimal, but it's kinda funny. Cancer Mage was thrown in there to take advantage of Festering Anger, so your character can gain access to a silly amount of bonus spells. CM was delayed for feat requirements, but its attainable earlier if you take flaws.

I still honestly can't make heads or tails of the Illumian. As for the rest of the build... :smallredface: I honestly didn't know a Rage Mage existed. That's just awesome.

I can't say I'm the type of person to rely on a cheap infinite loup trick (not to mention the guy I want to try this character out on would probably snap my arm for it), so Cancer Mage + Drugs probably isn't my thing.

Don't forget about Bear Warrior from Complete Warrior. When you get angery you turn into a bear, I know it's not quite a giant ape that breaths laser but it seems pretty close.

Throw an Enlarge -something- onto it, and I'd still dig it. A Flying Carnivorous Beast shooting Fireballs. Close enough to be an Oozaru, and if anyone complains they get either clawed, punched, or blasted.

Gotta figure a way to throw all of this together into a build somehow.... for the Illumian, I was also wondering how to somehow throw Warhulk in. Your casting ability flies through the freaking roof when you find some way to make yourself bigger, and you'd still be able to beat people into the dirt. Perfection. If only there was a constitution based variant of the Warhulk, or some other way to get that much Constitution, for the sake of the Dwarf...

Waker
2012-05-24, 09:11 PM
The power sigils are pretty simple for the Illumians. You choose one sigil at first level. The first sigil chosen here was Aesh, which grants a +1 bonus on Strength checks and skills. At second level you chose a second sigil. Krau, which increases your caster level. In addition the bonuses from both Aesh and Krau become +2. So you now gain +2 Strength checks/skills and on caster level on spells/spell-like abilities. Lastly you gain the benefit of the combined sigils, Aeshkrau, which uses your Strength modifier to determine how many bonus spells you get in a day, rather than Int/Wis/Cha.
Rage Mage is hardly a good class, but it is highly comical. You just get so angry that your spells hit harder. Sadly you lose a lot of spellcasting power.
Getting into Rage Mage is simple. The one level of Barbarian grants you Rage and some BAB, while Battle Sorcerer (UA) gives you more BAB/HD and armored casting at the cost of a few spells.
I can understand the hesitancy to use the Cancer Mage/Festering Anger trick. I don't care for it either, but I figured I would point it out, since I imagined someone else would say it eventually.

Morph Bark
2012-05-24, 09:39 PM
It's enough to get a lot of bonus spells through Str- or Con-pumping this way, but the DCs are still based off a mental stat and you still need that stat at 10+spell level to be able to cast it.

INoKnowNames
2012-05-24, 10:37 PM
The power sigils are pretty simple for the Illumians. You choose one sigil at first level. The first sigil chosen here was Aesh, which grants a +1 bonus on Strength checks and skills. At second level you chose a second sigil. Krau, which increases your caster level. In addition the bonuses from both Aesh and Krau become +2. So you now gain +2 Strength checks/skills and on caster level on spells/spell-like abilities. Lastly you gain the benefit of the combined sigils, Aeshkrau, which uses your Strength modifier to determine how many bonus spells you get in a day, rather than Int/Wis/Cha.

You made that -SO- much clearer. I don't know why it didn't make sense to me before, actually, but it finally get it now. Thanks.

Rage Mage is hardly a good class, but it is highly comical. You just get so angry that your spells hit harder. Sadly you lose a lot of spellcasting power.

Jesus, I see what you mean.... maybe just a dip for the ability to spell cast while in Rage, then... Although then again, it might not work like that... and the blasty spells getting stronger in a rage? Sounds cool... this character type is more the type to have lots of blasts and stuff...

I can understand the hesitancy to use the Cancer Mage/Festering Anger trick. I don't care for it either, but I figured I would point it out, since I imagined someone else would say it eventually.

True...

It's enough to get a lot of bonus spells through Str- or Con-pumping this way, but the DCs are still based off a mental stat and you still need that stat at 10+spell level to be able to cast it.

..... that is freakeing depressing.....

Two slightly optimistic questions before this concept gets droped.

1st: what do DCs control, exactly? Aren't they just for Saving Throws? If so, couldn't I rely on the few offensive spells without them? Electric Orbs would be cool...

2: Doesn't that mean just 19 Int/Cha is needed for all the level of spells from cantrips to 9th level? That's not so bad if so...

Waker
2012-05-24, 10:45 PM
DCs are strictly for saving throws. If a spell doesn't allow a save, it has no DC.
And yes, a character only needs a 19 in the casting stat of their choice in order to cast 9th level spells. So hypothetically if you build a character to get his bonus spells from Str or Con, you could just focus on spells that don't allow a save and be completely fine.

INoKnowNames
2012-05-25, 07:59 PM
DCs are strictly for saving throws. If a spell doesn't allow a save, it has no DC.
And yes, a character only needs a 19 in the casting stat of their choice in order to cast 9th level spells. So hypothetically if you build a character to get his bonus spells from Str or Con, you could just focus on spells that don't allow a save and be completely fine.

Sweeeet...... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLbnE5oAfPM)

So... if non Gestalted, an Aeshkrau Illumian Barbarian / Battle Sorcerer / Rage Mage...... Hopefully I wouldn't lose too much by Rage Mage to be unable to gain some of the transformy spells, so I can still do the whole Oozaru bit...

But if I can Gestalt (and I actually have a rather good chance of this, unless I'm being bluffed), then Illumian Sorcerer / Rage Mage // Barbarian / Goliath-bonded Stoneblessed / Warhulk / Bear Warrior.

Massive Number of Spells, Rage, becoming Bigger in a Rage, and Oozaru Form... I don't think it would be missing anything. It would be... Glorious.

My next question is whether or not the Spell Rage and the Barbarian Rage stack or not... I actually had the same issue with Bear Warrior, too, but the Spell Rage issue is in both builds, and more notable because of it.

Waker
2012-05-25, 10:28 PM
Spell Rage would stack with normal Rage, as they are two separate abilities. The rage that is gained from the Bear Warrior class is identical to the Barbarian Rage though, so they would not stack.
I hadn't addressed your desire to turn into a giant monkey in the past, to which I will now attend.
In order to transform into an enormous ape while still possessing a fearsome rage, you could take the Druidic Avenger variant. On one side of the gestalt you could go Sorcerer/Rage Mage//Druidic Avenger/Master of Many Forms/War Hulk.
Your character wouldn't be the most impressive spellcaster, but he would have an odd array of talents. The greatest of course being that your muscles power your magic.

Morph Bark
2012-05-26, 05:07 AM
Sweeeet...... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLbnE5oAfPM)

So... if non Gestalted, an Aeshkrau Illumian Barbarian / Battle Sorcerer / Rage Mage...... Hopefully I wouldn't lose too much by Rage Mage to be unable to gain some of the transformy spells, so I can still do the whole Oozaru bit...

But if I can Gestalt (and I actually have a rather good chance of this, unless I'm being bluffed), then Illumian Sorcerer / Rage Mage // Barbarian / Goliath-bonded Stoneblessed / Warhulk / Bear Warrior.

Massive Number of Spells, Rage, becoming Bigger in a Rage, and Oozaru Form... I don't think it would be missing anything. It would be... Glorious.

My next question is whether or not the Spell Rage and the Barbarian Rage stack or not... I actually had the same issue with Bear Warrior, too, but the Spell Rage issue is in both builds, and more notable because of it.

You would need to take Stoneblessed before Barbarian, because otherwise you cannot take Mountain Rage.

No, not even with ACF retraining.

Cor1
2012-05-26, 09:24 AM
Funny concept. I like it.

I found a gameplay tactic that's basically Playing Dragon Ball Z, in a totally different way. It's a bog-standard Psion, first, then it abuses psionic tricks to supernova into power-level-over-9000. (Short version : Overchannel Greater Metamorphosis to get the epic feat Improved Overchannel and get some hundreds of bonus power points to pay for ridiculously augmented powers. "Technically legal", never used in-game.)
Ki attacks? Energy Conversion + tons of Energy Walls to charge it up DBZ-style. Five minutes that are hours long? Synchronicity. Genkidama? Incarnum-based Recharge Method. Absorption (Cell saga)? ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin. Teleportation? Idem. Telepathy? It's a Psion! Also, Mind Switch (that bad guy in Namek saga), Astral Seed (Piccolo does it), TONS of specific buffs for attack and defense... Transformations? Metamorphosis, Form Of Doom... Dominate, for Babidi... Astral Construct, for when little Trunks does his ghost spam attack...

I even made it blindingly obvious in the backstory. "An UnkillableTM artifical biotech creature built in an underground lab by a Nazi-type military Doktor to seek magic crystals that contain life essence." It fit in the previous scenario's end so well I couldn't NOT do it...

lunar2
2012-05-26, 10:45 AM
another option would be Human/ Afflicted Dire Were Ape / unarmed Barbarian (can't remember the source or name, but there's an Acf that gets you improved unarmed strike and the TWF feat chain in exchange for your weapon proficiency and medium armor proficiency) / anything that gets a supernatural blast (probably a vestige somewhere for that that you can get with a feat or 2). no actual casting, and you'd need another method to fly (shaping and binding airstep sandals from MoI, maybe), but barbarian gets you rage for super saiyan, lycanthropy turns you into a giant ape, and something gets you a blasty ability for ki blasts.

if you can use homebrew, i made a monk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244099) rebuild that was DBZ influenced, and i'm working on a Saiyan.

INoKnowNames
2012-05-28, 09:04 AM
Spell Rage would stack with normal Rage, as they are two separate abilities. The rage that is gained from the Bear Warrior class is identical to the Barbarian Rage though, so they would not stack.

Gah... it confuses me still. I'll probably walk to my car and suddenly understand it later. Essentially, what I'm asking, is whether or not I can cast spells in any rage, or just in a spell rage, and whether or not I have to activate multiple rages to be at full power, or if I can just use 1 rage overall to do it. From what you're saying, for at least the second question, it appears that I either have Monster Form, or Rage--->Spell Rage.... although possibly Spell Rage + Monster Form, too.

I hadn't addressed your desire to turn into a giant monkey in the past, to which I will now attend.
In order to transform into an enormous ape while still possessing a fearsome rage, you could take the Druidic Avenger variant. On one side of the gestalt you could go Sorcerer/Rage Mage//Druidic Avenger/Master of Many Forms/War Hulk.
Your character wouldn't be the most impressive spellcaster, but he would have an odd array of talents. The greatest of course being that your muscles power your magic.

Would I need to be transformed at the time I prepared my Magic for War Hulk's +20 Strength to be added into the equation? And would I lose some of the spells when I went back to normal size? I realise this is a very important question I should have considered earlier...

Otherwise, I think this build is better than the one I had considered... although I'm starting to think that, while having the natural ability to transform into the monster form is awesome, that leaving it just through a spell ability wouldn't be so terrible, either. Either or, really.

You would need to take Stoneblessed before Barbarian, because otherwise you cannot take Mountain Rage.

No, not even with ACF retraining.

So, Fighter 2 / Goliath-Bonded Stone Blessed 3 / Barbarian X / Warhulk Y / Bear Warrior Z // Sorceror / Rage Mage.

That seems legal, right?

Funny concept. I like it.

I found a gameplay tactic that's basically Playing Dragon Ball Z, in a totally different way. It's a bog-standard Psion, first, then it abuses psionic tricks to supernova into power-level-over-9000. (Short version : Overchannel Greater Metamorphosis to get the epic feat Improved Overchannel and get some hundreds of bonus power points to pay for ridiculously augmented powers. "Technically legal", never used in-game.)
Ki attacks? Energy Conversion + tons of Energy Walls to charge it up DBZ-style. Five minutes that are hours long? Synchronicity. Genkidama? Incarnum-based Recharge Method. Absorption (Cell saga)? ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin. Teleportation? Idem. Telepathy? It's a Psion! Also, Mind Switch (that bad guy in Namek saga), Astral Seed (Piccolo does it), TONS of specific buffs for attack and defense... Transformations? Metamorphosis, Form Of Doom... Dominate, for Babidi... Astral Construct, for when little Trunks does his ghost spam attack...

I even made it blindingly obvious in the backstory. "An UnkillableTM artifical biotech creature built in an underground lab by a Nazi-type military Doktor to seek magic crystals that contain life essence." It fit in the previous scenario's end so well I couldn't NOT do it...

The biggest reason I wouldn't consider this is because I'm pretty sure a Psion is Int based. Unless you could somehow key it to work off of Strength or Con, at which point I would love it, it isn't DBZ without the ability to punch someone through several mountains, then blow up the mountain range. Even untransformed, these people had to hold their physical strength back in order to interact with people in normal, everyday lives. Which makes Bulma and Chi-chi easily the strongest women in the universe.

another option would be Human/ Afflicted Dire Were Ape / unarmed Barbarian (can't remember the source or name, but there's an Acf that gets you improved unarmed strike and the TWF feat chain in exchange for your weapon proficiency and medium armor proficiency) / anything that gets a supernatural blast (probably a vestige somewhere for that that you can get with a feat or 2). no actual casting, and you'd need another method to fly (shaping and binding airstep sandals from MoI, maybe), but barbarian gets you rage for super saiyan, lycanthropy turns you into a giant ape, and something gets you a blasty ability for ki blasts.

if you can use homebrew, i made a monk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244099) rebuild that was DBZ influenced, and i'm working on a Saiyan.

Eh. Gotta have more than just a ranged attack, though. Really, spell casting covers everything I can think of for what a Saiyan is able to do except for Collateral Damage through Energy Blasts (not that there isn't lots of ways to still slaughter a population of people rather quickly).

I did see one homebrew a ways back that did the concept incredibly well. But ultimately, I like trying to make the base game work for me. It's too easy to create stuff that adhers to the system to get what you want, and more rewarding when the concept finally comes to fruition.

Morph Bark
2012-05-28, 09:27 AM
So, Fighter 2 / Goliath-Bonded Stone Blessed 3 / Barbarian X / Warhulk Y / Bear Warrior Z // Sorceror / Rage Mage.

That seems legal, right?

Yes. Now try non-Gestalt. :smalltongue:

Actually, you should throw out Warhulk. When you take your first level in it you lose your ranks in Int-, Wis- and Cha-based skills, which means you lose the prerequisites for Stoneblessed, which means you don't qualify for Goliath Barbarian, which means you don't qualify for Warhulk.

Arguably, you'd still keep the Goliath Barbarian's Mountain Rage, since it is an ACF and not a PrC and there are only rules for losing PrC abilities if you lose the prereqs and not for ACFs, but if Bear Warrior or Rage Mage have any skill prereqs you can't take those in conjunction with Warhulk.

INoKnowNames
2012-05-28, 09:51 AM
Yes. Now try non-Gestalt. :smalltongue:

NOO! GESTALT IS TOO SEXY TO GIVE UP! ;.;

Also, Waker totally had me covered there: Illumian Barbarian / Battle Sorceror / Rage Mage, with spells for the sake of the transformation.

Actually, you should throw out Warhulk. When you take your first level in it you lose your ranks in Int-, Wis- and Cha-based skills, which means you lose the prerequisites for Stoneblessed, which means you don't qualify for Goliath Barbarian, which means you don't qualify for Warhulk.

I need to find my copy of the miniature's handbook, but I had a pretty good argument with 1 dm that you'd keep your ranks for the sake of prerequizites, but lose them when it comes to actually performing skills.

Then again, the dm I want to make this kind of character with probably wouldn't be okay with rules lawyering, and would sooner side with his own interpritation for what "No Time for Thought" did (assuming that's the name of the ability, which I think it is), so I suppose it's a good idea to not bank too heavily on Warhulk.

Arguably, you'd still keep the Goliath Barbarian's Mountain Rage, since it is an ACF and not a PrC and there are only rules for losing PrC abilities if you lose the prereqs and not for ACFs, but if Bear Warrior or Rage Mage have any skill prereqs you can't take those in conjunction with Warhulk.

Ironically, neither of them have skill point prereqs, so I could potentially still be okay. :smalltongue:

Where's that line about prC abilities and such again, just for my curiosity? :smallconfused:

So... Fighter 2 / Goliath-Bonded Stone Blessed 3 / Barbarian 5 / Bear Warrior 10. I'm not sure whether or not sacrificing Bear Warrior and Barbarian Levels for Warhulk would give me too much more Strength, anyway, to be honest.

Fouredged Sword
2012-05-28, 10:25 AM
I had a neat idea once. A goliath barbarian becomes large when rageing. You qualify for warhulk only while large.

Therefore a goliath who takes warhulk levels losses it's class features while not rageing, including the loss of skill ranks.

In theory you could go Crusader / stoneblessed x / barbarian 1 / warhulk 10 / crusader on one side and then dwarf sorcerer x / rage mage x / sorcerer x on the other side.

You lose your ability to use the size increasing rage while you are currently rageing, but the effect is an ongoing one so it stays in effect. Your strength would go through the roof while you rage.

INoKnowNames
2012-05-28, 10:50 AM
I had a neat idea once. *something*

http://www.rclol.com/img/ancient-aliens-guy-i-dont-know-what-you-just-said-but-the-answer-is-aliens.jpg

Morph Bark
2012-05-28, 11:18 AM
Where's that line about prC abilities and such again, just for my curiosity? :smallconfused:

I believe it is in both Complete Warrior and Complete Arcane.

I had a neat idea once. A goliath barbarian becomes large when rageing. You qualify for warhulk only while large.

Yes. This is the basic principle behind my Bruce Banner build.

Waker
2012-05-28, 11:59 AM
The Spell Rage ability is similar to, but separate from Rage. You cannot cast spells while raging unless you have also activated Spell Rage. The x/day times that you can use Spell Rage is noted in the Rage Mage's table.
As per your question about War Hulk, you would only have the classes abilities while you are enlarged. When medium or smaller, you would be ineligible for the PrC.

doko239
2012-05-28, 03:08 PM
Not 3.5, and far from ideal, but the Arcane Blast feat from Pathfinder's Advanced Player's Guide would let you make use of all those spell slots without needing the requisite mental stats:

Arcane Blast

You can convert any spell into an attack.

Prerequisites: Arcane spellcaster, caster level 10th.

Benefit: As a standard action, you can sacrifice a prepared spell or unused spell slot of 1st level or higher and transform it into a ray, targeting any foe within 30 feet as a ranged touch attack. This attack deals 2d6 points of damage plus an additional 1d6 points of damage for every level of the spell or spell slot you sacrificed. 0-level spells may not be sacrificed in this manner.

The main advantage is that it's untyped, no-save, no SR, ranged touch damage. Kamehameha, anyone? :smallbiggrin:

Rhaegar14
2012-05-28, 03:21 PM
It's third party material, and technically intended for Pathfinder rather than 3.5, but you may want to take a look at Eldritch Godling (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/super-genius-games/eldritch-godling).

"Spellcasting Attribute: An eldritch godling must select an ability score to fuel her spells when she takes her first level of eldritch godling. This is referred to as her spellcasting attribute. She may select any ability score to act as her spellcasting attribute, but once this choice is made it can never be changed."

INoKnowNames
2012-06-02, 01:06 AM
I believe it is in both Complete Warrior and Complete Arcane.

Looks like I need to take a closer look....

Yes. This is the basic principle behind my Bruce Banner build.

I get that with a Goliath Barbarian. You only qualify for Warhulk when in Rage, so you stay smart when you're medium and become stupid and strong when angry. That's awesome and funny.

But I don't see how the build stated by Fouredged Sword even holds up, actually. Without naturally being a Goliath, losing prerequizites for the ability that gives you the ability to the ability you need to gain the ability you're losing fudge there went my brain....

The Spell Rage ability is similar to, but separate from Rage. You cannot cast spells while raging unless you have also activated Spell Rage. The x/day times that you can use Spell Rage is noted in the Rage Mage's table.

I could still use the feat I had earlier that I'll need to pull up again to cast some spells while in Bear Warrior Rage. Spell Rage is Super Saiyan, Bear Warrior is Oozaru! Could I do one and then do the other, and pretend to be the Thousand Year Old Super Saiyan? Or can I not do both...

Just to make sure of something. Once I take Bear Warrior, I use it in place of my basic Rage. Or I can Rage, and then go into a Spell Rage. Or I can Bear Warrior Rage into Spell Rage, or Spell Rage into Bear Warrior Rage. But I can't do regular Rage and Bear Warrior Rage, since they overlap.

As per your question about War Hulk, you would only have the classes abilities while you are enlarged. When medium or smaller, you would be ineligible for the PrC.

Huh. That shoots having +20 Str to use when planning spells, unless I could gain more slots when in a Rage and Enlarged.... in which case, Holy Crap, Raging giving me more Spell Slots? This really would be a Saiyan....

Not 3.5, and far from ideal, but the Arcane Blast feat from Pathfinder's Advanced Player's Guide would let you make use of all those spell slots without needing the requisite mental stats:

Arcane Blast

You can convert any spell into an attack.

Prerequisites: Arcane spellcaster, caster level 10th.

Benefit: As a standard action, you can sacrifice a prepared spell or unused spell slot of 1st level or higher and transform it into a ray, targeting any foe within 30 feet as a ranged touch attack. This attack deals 2d6 points of damage plus an additional 1d6 points of damage for every level of the spell or spell slot you sacrificed. 0-level spells may not be sacrificed in this manner.

The main advantage is that it's untyped, no-save, no SR, ranged touch damage. Kamehameha, anyone? :smallbiggrin:

The only thing I've recently seen that is cooler than that is that Dragonfire Adepts can learn to use Mega Flare. I wonder how to try to fit it in, if I can ask to allow it...

It's third party material, and technically intended for Pathfinder rather than 3.5, but you may want to take a look at Eldritch Godling (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/super-genius-games/eldritch-godling).

"Spellcasting Attribute: An eldritch godling must select an ability score to fuel her spells when she takes her first level of eldritch godling. This is referred to as her spellcasting attribute. She may select any ability score to act as her spellcasting attribute, but once this choice is made it can never be changed."

If the spell list didn't appear to suck (pardon my ignorance if it doesn't. I don't know anything about pathfinder), this would be like the Holy Grail. Depressing...

Waker
2012-06-02, 01:20 AM
Just to make sure of something. Once I take Bear Warrior, I use it in place of my basic Rage. Or I can Rage, and then go into a Spell Rage. Or I can Bear Warrior Rage into Spell Rage, or Spell Rage into Bear Warrior Rage. But I can't do regular Rage and Bear Warrior Rage, since they overlap.
There is nothing to prevent you from activating Rage and Spell Rage at the same time. After you take levels in Bear Warrior, your normal Rage becomes the augmented Bear Warrior Rage.

If you allow 3rd party sources, there is a feat in Bastards and Bloodlines called Lost Tradition. It lets you choose which attribute your spellcasting is based off of, so you could choose Strength instead of Charisma for a Sorcerer.

Doorhandle
2012-06-02, 01:22 AM
It's not a strength-based caster by any means, but the rage prophet class from pathfinder might work for this, particularly if you use rage-cycling/moment of clarity. The best way to go about it might be to be an urban barbarian though, as they have a rage alternative that allows them to add 4 to any one stat and still use mental/dex based skills, thus allowing you to rage+cast (although being somewhat weaker than normal rage.)