PDA

View Full Version : Question on Lesser Aasimar

Theroc
2012-05-24, 11:11 AM
Lesser Aasimar from Player's Guide to Faerun, the discussion on Lesser Planetouched beings only mentions changing the type.

Is that all that was require to reduce an Aasimar to a +0 race? I couldn't seem to find anything on them besides the stuff on page 191.

VGLordR2
2012-05-24, 11:24 AM
Yes. The only differences between Planetouched and Lesser Planetouched are the type change and the LA reduction.

Yora
2012-05-24, 11:29 AM
The outsider type does make a very significant impact.

However, +4 to ability scores is quite a lot, especially when compared to the -2 of half-orcs, which are also LA +0 and have no special resistances at all.

Theroc
2012-05-24, 11:45 AM
Thanks guys. Just wanted to clarify in case the other information was hidden somewhere. (That happened with OA, LA being somewhere else entirely in the book.)

Tyndmyr
2012-05-24, 11:47 AM

However, +4 to ability scores is quite a lot, especially when compared to the -2 of half-orcs, which are also LA +0 and have no special resistances at all.

True, but half orcs are terrible.

A better example is to compare against, say, human, which is core, commonly used, and had no stat mod, and some bonuses.

Talya
2012-05-24, 12:32 PM
Lesser Planetouched (Aasimar and Tiefling) are balanced fairly well against humans.
Lesser Planetouched (any Genasi) are still fairly weak.

Lesser Planetouched (Fey'ri) are...problematic.

Wookie-ranger
2012-05-24, 01:39 PM
The Lesser Aasimar is a on the top end of LA+0 races, but it is not inherently overpowered. i like it with my Dread Necromancers.

The main difference is that you are not a native outsider, just Humanoid.
The only thing that i never understood (and that is unanimously ignored by anyone i have ever meat) is that clause that says :
"They are susceptible to spells and specifically target both humanoids and outsiders. Charm person works against them, and so does banishment"

Banishment, sends them back to their home plane. this is their home plane. what happens?:smallconfused:

Ashtagon
2012-05-24, 01:44 PM
Banishment, sends them back to their home plane. this is their home plane. what happens?:smallconfused:

The same thing that would happen to any other native of the prime plane when on, say, Tarterus. They are subject to the spell's normal effect; they are not immune to it. It's simply that unless they are away from their home plane, the normal effect is "fizzle".

Note that even humans gain the extraplanar type when away from their home plane (usually the prime material plane).

FMArthur
2012-05-24, 02:08 PM
Maybe it means that they can be dismissed even on their home plane... to the same plane they are already on, which might relocate them or at least have that 20% chance to wind up in another plane.

deuxhero
2012-05-24, 02:31 PM

For clarity, it gets you immunity to "Person" spells, proficiency with all simple and martial weapon (handy for Clerics, Rogues or prestige class qualifications), and (the big one) ability to turn into an outsider with Alter Self (Imp for flight is only the most obvious abuse). I think there is something I'm forgetting as well.

SowZ
2012-05-24, 03:10 PM
Some of the Genasi are still good as lesser planetouched for certain builds because of different stat bonus combos and sometimes a +4 to a stat.

Talya
2012-05-24, 03:44 PM
Some of the Genasi are still good as lesser planetouched for certain builds because of different stat bonus combos and sometimes a +4 to a stat.

Most races are optimal in at least some build somewhere.

Suddo
2012-05-24, 04:02 PM
For clarity, it gets you immunity to "Person" spells, proficiency with all simple and martial weapon (handy for Clerics, Rogues or prestige class qualifications), and (the big one) ability to turn into an outsider with Alter Self (Imp for flight is only the most obvious abuse). I think there is something I'm forgetting as well.

I believe Darkvision is a bonus from Outsider. Which is unfortunate I love darkvision.

Talya
2012-05-24, 05:01 PM
I believe Darkvision is a bonus from Outsider. Which is unfortunate I love darkvision.
Aasimar and Tiefling explicitly have Darkvision anyway, apart from outsider bonuses. They'd still have it.

And the Magic-Blooded Lesser Aasimar loses it anyway! :)

Seriously, if you are playing a charisma-dependant class...

Magic-Blooded Lesser Aasimar
Type: Humanoid [Extraplanar]
•+4 Charisma
•Medium size.
•A Magic-Blooded Lesser Aasimar’s base land speed is 30 feet.
•Low-Light Vision: A Magic-Blooded Lesser Aasimar can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
•Racial Skills: Magic-Blooded Lesser Aasimars have a +2 racial bonus on Spellcraft, Knowledge (Arcana), Spot and Listen checks. In addition, they may use Spellcraft and Knowledge (Arcana) untrained.
•Racial Feats: A Magic-Blooded Lesser Aasimar gains feats according to its class levels.
•Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities: Daylight, Detect Magic, Magic Aura, Read Magic, Undetectable Aura, each 1/day.
•Special Qualities: Resistance to acid 5, cold 5, and electricity 5.
•Automatic Languages: Common, Celestial. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling, Sylvan.
•Favored Class: Sorcerer.
•Level adjustment +0.

Wookie-ranger
2012-05-24, 06:37 PM
Aasimar and Tiefling explicitly have Darkvision anyway, apart from outsider bonuses. They'd still have it.

And the Magic-Blooded Lesser Aasimar loses it anyway! :)

Seriously, if you are playing a charisma-dependant class...

Magic-Blooded Lesser Aasimar
Type: Humanoid [Extraplanar]
•+4 Charisma
•Medium size.
•A Magic-Blooded Lesser Aasimar’s base land speed is 30 feet.
•Low-Light Vision: A Magic-Blooded Lesser Aasimar can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
•Racial Skills: Magic-Blooded Lesser Aasimars have a +2 racial bonus on Spellcraft, Knowledge (Arcana), Spot and Listen checks. In addition, they may use Spellcraft and Knowledge (Arcana) untrained.
•Racial Feats: A Magic-Blooded Lesser Aasimar gains feats according to its class levels.
•Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities: Daylight, Detect Magic, Magic Aura, Read Magic, Undetectable Aura, each 1/day.
•Special Qualities: Resistance to acid 5, cold 5, and electricity 5.
•Automatic Languages: Common, Celestial. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling, Sylvan.
•Favored Class: Sorcerer.
•Level adjustment +0.

:smallbiggrin:
that is my favorite build for my DN. the Spark Aasimar.

The same thing that would happen to any other native of the prime plane when on, say, Tarterus. They are subject to the spell's normal effect; they are not immune to it. It's simply that unless they are away from their home plane, the normal effect is "fizzle".
Note that even humans gain the extraplanar type when away from their home plane (usually the prime material plane).

sooo. if it affects them just like any other humanoid, why is it explicitly mentioned in their entry?

Maybe it means that they can be dismissed even on their home plane... to the same plane they are already on, which might relocate them or at least have that 20% chance to wind up in another plane.

that would be kind of... odd. but also fun: "hmmm, lets cast dismisal on myself and see were i end up."

willpell
2012-05-24, 10:11 PM

So this means that a normal Aasimar can go Wizard 5 / Eldritch Knight 1 without ever taking a fighter level?

animewatcha
2012-05-24, 10:28 PM
Yes, but don't get polymorphed or something that would deny you your racial ability for martial profiency ( I don't know other spells like poly that do it ) or won't get anything from Eldritch knight.

Wookie-ranger
2012-05-24, 10:31 PM
So this means that a normal Aasimar can go Wizard 5 / Eldritch Knight 1 without ever taking a fighter level?

There are two opinions on the matter.

on one side all races receive the racial weapon proficiencies. They argue that since it is written in the outsider entry in the MM that all outsiders get those bonuses, weather PC or NPC. As an example Elf is proficient with longsword.

on the other side says that they don't. Because... well..To be honest, i don't really know why. It is a bit over powered if they do though, for the very reason you just pointed out.

Ashtagon
2012-05-25, 12:21 AM
sooo. if it affects them just like any other humanoid, why is it explicitly mentioned in their entry?

It needs to be called out because the standard aasimar is an exception (vulnerable to dismissal on the PMP), and the lesser aasimar is an exception to that exception.

FMArthur
2012-05-25, 08:28 PM
There are two opinions on the matter.

on one side all races receive the racial weapon proficiencies. They argue that since it is written in the outsider entry in the MM that all outsiders get those bonuses, weather PC or NPC. As an example Elf is proficient with longsword.

on the other side says that they don't. Because... well..To be honest, i don't really know why. It is a bit over powered if they do though, for the very reason you just pointed out.

Why is it overpowered to put yourself one level behind for proficiencies when it would have cost you the same to take a single class level that also advances your hit die, BAB, skills and saves?

willpell
2012-05-25, 11:34 PM
Why is it overpowered to put yourself one level behind for proficiencies when it would have cost you the same to take a single class level that also advances your hit die, BAB, skills and saves?

You might have to deal with multiclassing penalties if you did that.