PDA

View Full Version : Tron: Uprising

Nameless
2012-05-24, 11:59 AM
So...That was amazing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCpqMqIVJDE&feature=related).

I've been waiting for this for months now and it looks like the pilot/prelude came last week without my knowledge.

This looks seriously awesome. It seems that they're staying true to the films as well, instead of making it more "child friendly", which is fantastic. I'm really looking forward to the next episode. :smallbiggrin:

irenicObserver
2012-05-24, 12:03 PM
I sincerely hope this lasts.

Nameless
2012-05-24, 12:10 PM
I sincerely hope this lasts.

Seeing as this show seems to follow similar lines to the Tron films and blends 2D and 3D animation beautifully (which is rare)... so do I.
I was quite worried that they would make the mistake of dumbing it down, but it looks like they haven't.

Greensleeves
2012-05-24, 02:28 PM
I went in with "Meh" expectations. I must say that it surprised me. It's actually really rather good.

Radar
2012-05-24, 03:22 PM
I'm quite positively surprised here. Good graphics, fight choreography and a solid overarching plot.
That red program, who helped Beck was a realy nice touch. I sure hope they won't change red's into disposable mooks later on.

Nameless
2012-05-24, 05:08 PM
My only issue with it so far is that the characters seem a bit... arbitrary and cliche. However, it was just a prelude/pilot, so there's still plenty of time for character development. The character animation is a bit strange, but after I got used to it, I fell in love with it, it's kind of reminiscent of Batman of the Future.

I'm quite positively surprised here. Good graphics, fight choreography and a solid overarching plot.
That red program, who helped Beck was a realy nice touch. I sure hope they won't change red's into disposable mooks later on.

I was genuinly sad when he got killed. :smallfrown:

Hands_Of_Blue
2012-05-25, 12:27 AM
While this show is great and I am going to watch it, the fact that it is a prequel to Tron: Legacy is depressing, since it pretty much guarantees this show will have a sad end.

Also, I love Bruce Boxleitner.

Scowling Dragon
2012-05-25, 12:46 AM
Yeah. I liked the red guy.

Its a bit cliche, but If they build apon the world we could get some interesting things going.

Reverent-One
2012-05-27, 09:00 PM
As a big Tron fan, this looks very promising. Couple issues with the episode though.

I don't like how Beck went from "I'm willing to die for the cause" to "I can't do anything". It didn't mesh well or make a lot of sense. Also, I hope they explain why Tron is operating on his own and training a replacement to fight CLU now, but doesn't seem to break free of CLU's control in Tron: Legacy until the very end.

That said, they nailed the setting, and I hope we see more new tech like Tesler's super gloves.

irenicObserver
2012-05-29, 08:49 AM
I find it funny that Page expected someone taller when first meeting Beck, when the entire animation style is rather lanky.

Nameless
2012-05-29, 08:54 AM
As a big Tron fan, this looks very promising. Couple issues with the episode though.

I don't like how Beck went from "I'm willing to die for the cause" to "I can't do anything". It didn't mesh well or make a lot of sense. Also, I hope they explain why Tron is operating on his own and training a replacement to fight CLU now, but doesn't seem to break free of CLU's control in Tron: Legacy until the very end.

That said, they nailed the setting, and I hope we see more new tech like Tesler's super gloves.

Yeah... I had an issue with that too. It kind of made sense if you tried to make sense of it... but only just, and it kind of annoyed me and felt cliché.

I'm kind of looking forward to the next episode, but I don't think it will be aired in the UK. Hopefully, Youtube will save me.

Person_Man
2012-05-29, 03:49 PM

I agree 100%.

The graphics and setting are awesome, the writing is terrible. In addition to the terrible character motivation, they made the mistake of killing off 2 potentially interesting characters prior to giving the audience any opportunity to get to know them and emotionally invest in them. And there is little/no humor. And there was no attempt to build a ship between any of the characters. And the dialogue in general was terrible.

So it looks great and has tremendous potential, but I'm guessing it will suck.

kamikasei
2012-05-31, 05:27 AM
That was pretty enjoyable. I'm more down on the single pair of good/evil female characters, both sexy and interestsed in Beck, than on any plot holes. Having Saren as CLU is something I look forward to hearing.

Also, I hope they explain why Tron is operating on his own and training a replacement to fight CLU now, but doesn't seem to break free of CLU's control in Tron: Legacy until the very end.
I wonder whether it isn't Tron at all, but Flynn posing as him. I expected about halfway through Beck's interrogation that it'd turn out to be Flynn - the pull back at the end to show what looked like Flynn's hideout from the movie revived my suspicions.
I also thought for a while that Beck had been captured but that he'd succeeded in smuggling his friend's data disc out of the city for Flynn to find and resurrect him - a little disappointed that he didn't actually appear to have a plan while he was imprisoned.

Nameless
2012-05-31, 02:20 PM
I agree 100%.

The graphics and setting are awesome, the writing is terrible. In addition to the terrible character motivation, they made the mistake of killing off 2 potentially interesting characters prior to giving the audience any opportunity to get to know them and emotionally invest in them. And there is little/no humor. And there was no attempt to build a ship between any of the characters. And the dialogue in general was terrible.

So it looks great and has tremendous potential, but I'm guessing it will suck.

I kind of disagree. Whilst I do agree with what Reverent said, I don't think the writing is that bad at all. It's simple yes, the plot seems fairly basic and the character motivations are also kind of basic, but they're not bad as such. (I've seen cartoons with FAR worse plots and characters.)
And why does it matter if there was no humor or ships? This isn't necessarily a negative thing. (Although I disagree with your shipping comment, but meh.) Besides, this was just a pilot, pilots are always the weakest episodes.

Scowling Dragon
2012-05-31, 02:29 PM
Seriously, not everything needs a ship. Its better to have no ships sailing in the ocean then to have a million awful vomit inducing, eyebleed causing, bowel disordering, hair paling, skin pealing, blood curling, nail rotting, muscle ripping, eardrum piercing ships.

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-05-31, 03:19 PM
I kind of disagree. Whilst I do agree with what Reverent said, I don't think the writing is that bad at all. It's simple yes, the plot seems fairly basic and the character motivations are also kind of basic, but they're not bad as such. (I've seen cartoons with FAR worse plots and characters.)

Oh come on, the dialogue is cheesy as hell. And not in the intentionally-over-the-top sort of way. I was able to spout a good dozen lines before the characters did. And that sub-plot with bad guy who ends up helping Beck and then dying? Called every single moment of it.

And why does it matter if there was no humor or ships? This isn't necessarily a negative thing. (Although I disagree with your shipping comment, but meh.) Besides, this was just a pilot, pilots are always the weakest episodes.

Now this I can agree with. While some humour would be nice, but it isn't strictly needed. Shipping? Ehhhhh. Can do with. Can do without. Considering the quality of the writing, it's probably better without.

Still, the show promises and honestly it's just so darn pretty I'll keep on watching it.

Nameless
2012-06-01, 06:10 AM
Oh come on, the dialogue is cheesy as hell. And not in the intentionally-over-the-top sort of way. I was able to spout a good dozen lines before the characters did. And that sub-plot with bad guy who ends up helping Beck and then dying? Called every single moment of it.

Hey, it's a Disney animated series... were you really expecting original characters and unique story writing/dialogue? I'm kinda happy with the fact that they didn't turn it into a musical and make it all fluffy, myself... :smalltongue:

Radar
2012-06-01, 07:49 AM
Hey, it's a Disney animated series... were you really expecting original characters and unique story writing/dialogue? I'm kinda happy with the fact that they didn't turn it into a musical and make it all fluffy, myself... :smalltongue:
You mean something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM5-xFenaZI&feature=related) version of Paint Your Wagon?

Nameless
2012-06-08, 02:40 PM
Episode 2:

Aside from similar issues I had with the first episode, I really enjoyed it. It was a tad cliche and didn't offer a lot of surprises, but I'm not really expecting that from this show.

So, yeah, thumbs up.

Also... that new girl... is it just me, or does she look really strange?

You mean something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM5-xFenaZI&feature=related) version of Paint Your Wagon?

Something like that, yes. :smalltongue:

Reverent-One
2012-06-16, 12:58 PM
My DVR need to learn that Tron: Uprising is not just 28 minutes long. It's done that for the last two episodes. Anyway, it's still not great, but it's still really pretty, so I'll settle for that.

I was glad to see Culter not being killed off to serve as motivation for Beck, even if he's still not going be around most/all of the rest of the season.

CapnRedBeard
2012-06-21, 08:48 PM
Watched two episodes...art was cool...writing was weaksauce.

Seriously it's about 1/10th as good as the writing in Korra. (though Korra is my current fav so...)

What I really don't like about Tron: Uprising is that the characters aren't very unique. The blue haired girl with the flip do is alright...but her inept friend looks like another character in the cartoon and is the generic klutz/clueless guy. The older man with the bike collection is the generic tough guy with a heart of gold...tron himself is generic (both the older and the younger) (older is the prototypical mentor that is staving off the inevitable...younger has fear and doubt...but will rise to the occasion when tron the elder finally goes is my best guess.

Everything just seems so "been there...done that"

Callos_DeTerran
2012-06-21, 10:58 PM

Well...on Tron and Rinzler...

Some people are theorizing that it's not the real Tron that gets repurposed into Rinzler, but Beck instead. Mostly based off the similar movement/combat styles that Beck and Rinzler had and the fact we never see Rinzler's face (mostly because of problems getting Bruce Boxleitner to look right as a 'younger' him like they did for Flynn and CLU.

In which case, Beck's wish-washyness makes sense for Rinzler's Heel-Face Turn because if Beck's flip-floppy on what he can and should do...then Rinzler's change of heart could very well be the same impulsiveness Beck showed in cutting apart CLU's statue. Supposing this theory is true, makes you wonder what happened to the real Tron though.

On other stuff...

Things I like:
1. The fact that programs 'De-Rezz' meaning the show writers can do a mature story that features 'death' that gets past the censors. Will the writers take advantage of? From everything I've seen so far (only seen the first two episodes), yes.
2. So very pretty! Scenery/vehicle-wise.
3. They haven't gone for the 'the hero is the hero cause he beats up the bad guys' route. Beck, from what I've seen, has won very few of his fights, if any. Most of the time he just runs away or takes advantage of his surroundings. I like this, mostly because it meshes with the lore that CLU makes the Black Guard more powerful then normal programs, to give them an edge. They aren't just better trained and more dedicated, they're flat out programmed to fight and are good at it. The fact Beck had so much trouble with the single Black Guard who later helped him made me happy, cause it's apparently one of the huge problems the resistance is facing come the time of Legacy (I.E, at the End of Line club when the Black Guard are slicing through the resistance like knives through butter ((not to mention holding their own and winning against a User and ISO)) until Flynn showed up and 'negated' whatever CLU does to them that makes them so powerful, at what point they're promptly massacred). Page and Tezler feel like threats, and potent ones, that Beck should be doing his best to stay away from.
4. Getting as many of the old actors as they could to be in it. From Tron to the cameo of CLU himself, it's a little touch but one I like.
5. They're not painting the 'uprising' as a great thing right now. Beck's rebellion is forcing Tezler to crack down on Argon City and making everyone's lives worce, not to mention bringing the Games to the city. Is CLU bad for the grid? Well...debatable, he brings order to it through truly horrendous means (genocide, re-programing, bread and circuses), but he does bring order. CLU himself is the bad guy, what he's made isn't a bad thing if someone else were to take charge. Tezler at least seems reasonable, he doesn't seem to like the Games, but sees them as necessary to keep the population in line. And if they aren't in line...well...CLU has already demonstrated he has no problem annihilating imperfections in his perfect system.

The Bad:
1: The people. I don't know why, but they look really off to me. To the point I get distracted from what's happening on the screen. Whoever the dopey mechanic met in the bar is the prime offender, but only Tezler's right-hand woman and Tron looks like a real person. And CLU...was that intentional? Don't know, but it's weirding me out.
2. It feels a little...atonal. CLU's motivations have gone from 'creating the perfect system', what Flynn programmed him to do to...wanting to seize power for himself. It changes CLU's character in Legacy a great deal. In Legacy, he's almost like a lost child. He's doing exactly what his father wanted him to do, but for some reason his 'dad' hates him for it and is fighting against him, and it pushes him to rage. He's almost sympathetic. If Uprising is true, then he doesn't care about his purpose, he just wanted to take control of the Grid. People keep swapping between De-rezz and die, which is mostly on the writers, but they're writing for characters that are computer programs and they should probably be a bit more consistent about that. Over all the programs just feel...too human. It probably can't be avoided, but I can't help but notice it.
3. Flynn. He's...hugely important to the entire setting...but aside from a brief blurb at the beginning, he's not mentioned at all. Nobody talks about the Users, nobody remarks how the portal hasn't opened for many cycles, and all the responsibility to saving everyone is put on Tron, not Flynn, the guy who literally programmed the problem. More importantly, it's said in Legacy that during this time period, Flynn wasn't idle. He was trying to get the resistance groups together to fight back, he was trying to resist CLU but...no mention of that. Now...time is weird inside the Grid, we don't know how long cycles are, but we know thousands of cycles (the equivalent of years) can pass within a decade or two of human time. How long do programs live? I mean...the answer to my question could be that Flynn already tried to do the whole resistance thing many cycles ago and all the programs who would remember are gone now. Or maybe he starts doing that during the course of Uprising. Maybe that role is passed off cause they can't get Flynn's actor to come on board for it, but it needs some kind of explanation because Flynn isn't just some program working in a mechanic's shop (sorry Beck, but it's true), he's the single largest threat to CLU's regime, paramount to a god, and we've heard nothing about him. The show should at least say it's already happened and he's gone into hiding or it hasn't happened, just to put those questions to rest. Tron's being hyped as the only one who can stop CLU when...it's obvious Flynn could as well, but no one mentions him.
4. Users...In the Tron movies, they're seen as god-like figures who can do no wrong. They can also alter the world, if they have the technical know-how, in ways programs didn't even think was possible. They're not bound by their programming and are...well...change pretty much. In Tron, each program revered their user almost as a deity and aspired to communicate with them. In Legacy, it's a new Grid but programs still hold the same reverence for Users (one falls to her knees to pray to Flynn in the middle of a gorram firefight!). Yet...we see none of that in Uprising. Maybe the writers are trying to avoid rankling Disney by the pseudo-paganism...but Disney didn't mind it when Legacy did it, why would they now? And on that note...
5. CLU's regime. In Legacy, we know CLU is the bad guy. The programs seem to know his regime isn't a good one, but for the most part he seems...beloved. A large portion of programs applaud CLU for 'freeing' them from the oppression of the Users. Maybe that's because it's his capital city and thus they're the most indoctrinated of them all, but for the most part I got the impression that common program liked CLU for what he did. He was a villain with amazing publicity, not in the least of which is because he'd participate in the game which made him the killer combo of a savvy political leader and a star game player. In Uprising...everyone knows CLU's trouble the moment the fleet shows up, despite CLU being the guardian of the Grid whenever Flynn was away. Sure, they show up to watch the games, but that seems to be just for the sake of watching the games. Every program seems to dislike CLU, which is a big departure from Legacy where he seems to have a fanatical following. What happened? Has his regime just not reached that phase yet? Again, this is more like a question on timing that only needs a simple lamp-shade but isn't getting it.
6. ...Vehicles running outside of the city. >.> It's the smallest of annoyances, and yet...it annoys me. Vehicles (ground ones) aren't supposed to be able to run off the Grid because they don't get any power. Yet...we see no problem with this for...anyone really. I could see Tron's bike being able to go off-Grid, maybe Flynn gave it to him...but Beck? Black guards? (Sure, they could have off-road light-cycles, but Quorra's remark in Legacy implies that's either not the case or they're not common issue).

Anyway, I've been enjoying the series and I intend to keep tuning in, but I wanted to put my thoughts up here.