PDA

View Full Version : So how does this build look?

gooddragon1
2012-05-24, 01:26 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Urpriest
2012-05-24, 01:34 PM
No need for all that Figher. A few levels are worthwhile, but just get the feats you need and then go into a class that helps you do your job.

gooddragon1
2012-05-24, 01:37 PM
No need for all that Figher. A few levels are worthwhile, but just get the feats you need and then go into a class that helps you do your job.

I just don't really like multiclassing. I want something simple. Walk up to the enemy and smack them really hard as a full round action.

Axinian
2012-05-24, 01:50 PM
I just don't really like multiclassing. I want something simple. Walk up to the enemy and smack them really hard as a full round action.

Sure, but Psychic Warrior will let you do that better. Gives you the feats you need, and some extra options to help you hit harder. So Monk 1/PsyWar X. Take the Tashalatora feat. Simple, elegant, smashy.

OracleofSilence
2012-05-24, 01:55 PM
If you really feel set on the fighter, think about possibly picking up a few Martial Study feats along the way. It will give you a lot more bang for your buck alot of the time, and it will give you far more options.

Alternatively, how much multiclassing are you comfortable with? Because the Tashalatora monk really is a very good combination.

VGLordR2
2012-05-24, 01:58 PM
If you're looking to Power Attack, try Leap Attack. (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-adventurer--54/leap-attack--1741/)

Urpriest
2012-05-24, 02:55 PM
Sure, but Psychic Warrior will let you do that better. Gives you the feats you need, and some extra options to help you hit harder. So Monk 1/PsyWar X. Take the Tashalatora feat. Simple, elegant, smashy.

This, or Barbarian. Fighter will never be simple, since you get so many feats that you need to come up with all sorts of complicated feat chains and combat maneuvers to fill them with. Barbarian offers many fewer choices once you've got a specific set of ACFs.

gooddragon1
2012-05-24, 03:27 PM
This, or Barbarian. Fighter will never be simple, since you get so many feats that you need to come up with all sorts of complicated feat chains and combat maneuvers to fill them with. Barbarian offers many fewer choices once you've got a specific set of ACFs.

Weapon focus with every simple and martial weapon known to exist. (just kidding (I'd take toughness if it were on the list...))

I'd find something. Also I don't want to have to do unusual movement stuff (leap attack) and my DM has banned psionics. Maneuvers maybe. Specifically White Raven Tactics "If I can't hit/damage/affect it perhaps the party mage can."

Aeryr
2012-05-24, 03:33 PM
Weapon focus with every simple and martial weapon known to exist. (just kidding (I'd take toughness if it were on the list...))

I'd find something. Also I don't want to have to do unusual movement stuff (leap attack) and my DM has banned psionics. Maneuvers maybe. Specifically White Raven Tactics "If I can't hit/damage/affect it perhaps the party mage can."

:smalleek:

You are kidding about toughness aren't you?

gooddragon1
2012-05-24, 03:40 PM
:smalleek:

You are kidding about toughness aren't you?

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/DemonYoukai/Smilies/evillaugh1.gif

Our campaign is generally low op. I don't want to vastly outshine the rest of the party. Extra HP are nice.

Suddo
2012-05-24, 03:42 PM
Barbarian's Alternate Class Feature from Complete Divine, Spirit Lion Totem, as a 1 level dip will get you pounce this followed by Psychic Warrior with Tashalatora will probably produce what you want. For powers from Psychic Warrior just get Expansion (so you can become bigger), Animal Affinity and other buff powers. You won't even have to use them in the end.

gooddragon1
2012-05-24, 03:43 PM
Barbarian's Alternate Class Feature from Complete Divine, Spirit Lion Totem, as a 1 level dip will get you pounce this followed by Psychic Warrior with Tashalatora will probably produce what you want. For powers from Psychic Warrior just get Expansion (so you can become bigger), Animal Affinity and other buff powers. You won't even have to use them in the end.

Violates the no psionics/no fancy movement requirements. Sry.

EDIT: So the reason I'm posting this is just in case the DM doesn't like the custom class I've been playing for a while and decides to cut it. This is a decent alternative that accomplishes much of the same things while remaining entirely within published material.

Gavinfoxx
2012-05-24, 03:56 PM
Just so you know...

In order to get useful stuff out of melee classes, you tend to have to take powerful ones, like Warblade, or multiclass quite a lot.

For example, in order to simulate Conan accurately (like he is in the books or comics, not the movie.), I figured that he is something like:

Spirit Lion Totem, Bear Totem, Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 2 / Wilderness, Penetrating Strike Rogue 3 / Strong-Arm, Skilled City Dweller (trade Ride for Tumble), Solitary Hunting Ranger 3 / Zhentarim Soldier, Thug, Dungeon Crusher, Hit and Run, Physical Prowess, Skilled City Dweller (trade Ride for Tumble) Fighter 3 / Warblade 3.

So... yea. Melee builds are not 'simple'. Fighter is not 'simple'. Barbarian? Can be simple... sometimes.

What you need to do is figure out the following:

1.) What you want your character to do and be competent at doing
2.) The maximum complexity in build you want your character to have
3.) The maximum complexity in play you want your character to have
4.) The power and versatility level you are shooting for in general
5.) The amount of reflavoring you are comfortable with
6.) The books and sources and options available to you

And THEN we can help you... this changing the goalposts you have been doing isn't very helpful...

gooddragon1
2012-05-24, 05:08 PM
What you need to do is figure out the following:

1.) What you want your character to do and be competent at doing
2.) The maximum complexity in build you want your character to have
3.) The maximum complexity in play you want your character to have
4.) The power and versatility level you are shooting for in general
5.) The amount of reflavoring you are comfortable with
6.) The books and sources and options available to you

And THEN we can help you... this changing the goalposts you have been doing isn't very helpful...

1.) Hit things hard with one attack in melee. Survive melee.
2.) No activation required class features at all.
3.) Walk (not charge, not run, not jump, etc.) up to target and smack it very hard.
4.) Approximately 5 damage per level scaling into epic level with at most 2 attacks (preferably one) and a very high likelyhood of success (diamond nightmare blade requires a concentration check vs AC and insightful strike is only 2x level).
5.) Psionics simply isn't allowed in the campaign reflavored or not.
6.) Almost everything except Dragon Magazine. Prestige classes require access, items above 1000 gp in the DMG/PHB or at all in other books require access, feats outside of the d20srd require access.
7.) My character must live forever (hence warforged).

Gavinfoxx
2012-05-24, 05:11 PM
Warforged isn't the only way to be immortal...

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996.0

gooddragon1
2012-05-24, 05:46 PM
Warforged isn't the only way to be immortal...

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996.0

Oh I know, it just comes with a nice bunch of immunities.