PDA

View Full Version : Lord of Vermin

leegi0n
2012-05-24, 02:41 PM
Hey guys n' gals,

i want to build a vile, nasty sumbeech around CR 25 that's an underdark dwelling vermin lord. I'm thinking I should start the build with druid...

any suggestions for hardcore build?

The party will be ECL 23 by the time they hear the "boss fight" music.

Thanks in advance

Flickerdart
2012-05-24, 03:06 PM
Drow clerics can rebuke vermin, and entomanothropes can command vermin. Between the two, you could have a nice pool of vermin minions for a relatively modest investment.

leegi0n
2012-05-24, 03:32 PM
what in the world is an "entomanothrope?"

* so you think drow cleric would be better than a drow druid for base purposes?

Garagos
2012-05-24, 03:35 PM
I believe the Forgotten Realms Underdark book has a prestige class called Arachnomancer in it. Not sure if that would work for your needs or not, but that book in general has some good info about vermin in it.

Flickerdart
2012-05-24, 03:38 PM
Entomanothropes are werebugs (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040621a). I like using Giant Wasps for them because their features match up nicely with what transfers over in hybrid form.

Druid would probably be stronger than Cleric because a companion vermin would have more HD than commanded vermin are allowed to. However, an Entomanothrope already does a similar thing (transforming into a vermin, commanding a vermin minion) without costing quite so many levels, so you can more easily diversify your vermin portfolio with it.

Urpriest
2012-05-24, 04:06 PM
Eberron has a fair number of vermin-oriented options for Druids. Child of Winter in particular is great for this sort of concept. Vermin Companion and Vermin Shape being the next obvious steps.

Edit: Vermin Companion may not be all that important, though, given the contents of this article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040705a).

Edit: Vermin Wild Shape can be replicated (better) by Vestment of Verminshape, DMGII