View Full Version : Weapon Enchantment Question

Kinsmarck
2012-05-24, 06:02 PM
Alright folks, my Google-fu is failing me, and I turn to the Playground for an answer to the following:

I recall reading, rather recently, an entry somewhere about a weapon enchantment that, after killing an opponent, made it nigh impossible to resurrect them afterward. What I don't recall is what that enchantment is called, what it costs to add to a weapon, and what spells are required to circumvent it. Oh, and where the bloody hell I read about it in the first place. <_<; Mostly that last one. I may very well have come across it on these forums, but I'm fairly sure it came from a sourcebook; probably Forgotten Realms, as I've been reading a great deal of that recently.

Glimbur
2012-05-24, 07:11 PM
There's the Thiunian material in Complete Warrior. Traps the soul. It's not exactly an enchantment, but it will get you where you are going.

Douglas
2012-05-24, 08:54 PM
No magical weapon ability comes to mind for this, but there is a special material that does something like that. A weapon made of Thinaun, a material from Complete Warrior, absorbs the soul of anyone who dies while in contact with it. This, obviously, includes anyone killed by the weapon. Resurrecting someone whose soul is contained in such a weapon is impossible unless the caster has the weapon on hand. The down side is that each weapon can only hold one soul at a time, so if you want to keep someone unresurrectable you have to stop using that weapon and, ideally, hide it somewhere unrecoverable but safe - destroying the weapon releases the soul, and so does absorbing a new one.

Morithias
2012-05-24, 08:59 PM
I believe what you are looking for is "Keeper's fang" from (Eb p266).

It is a melee only weapon +4 enchantment.

"Weapon does 'evil' damage with respect to Damage Reduction. If used to strike the killing blow, the opponent's soul is trapped in the realm of the Deity of the Dead & the opponent cannot be restored to life with Resurrection, etc."

Kinsmarck
2012-05-24, 10:51 PM
Hmm, none of these are quite hitting the nail. I thought of Thinuan, but that only traps the soul. What I'm thinking of was something along the lines of "weapons with this ability that bring an opponent to -10 or fewer hitpoints render the enemy unable to be resurrected, short of a Wish or Miracle spell." I've been looking around for it all evening, and for the life of me, can't seem to find the source of it, whatever it's called. I may just end up home-brewing a similar effect, seeing as the item I've got in mind for it is either going to be an end-game, high-cost weapon, or just a flat-out artifact.