PDA

View Full Version : Question on Weapon Sizes - Answered, thank you

Linguz
2012-05-24, 11:19 PM
I have two conflicting phrases from two different 3.5e books regarding weapon weight and cost with differing sizes.

Cost: This value is the weapon’s cost in gold pieces (gp) or silver pieces (sp). The cost includes miscellaneous gear that goes with the weapon, such as a scabbard for a sword or a quiver for arrows. This cost is the same for a Small or Medium version of the weapon. A Large version costs twice the listed price.

Weight: This column gives the weight of a Medium version of the weapon. Halve this number for Small weapons, and double it for Large weapons.

Size, Weight, and Price: If you’re designing a weapon larger than the standard, its weight increases by 50% for each size category increase. Its cost increases at the same rate. So if you design a Large version of a throwing axe (ordinarily a Small weapon weighing 4 pounds) it will weigh 9 pounds: A Medium-size version weighs 6 pounds, and a Large version increases the weight by a further 50%. Its cost increases by the same amount, so a Large throwing axe would cost 18 gp. Weights decrease by 25% per size category decrease if you’re designing a smaller version of a weapon. A throwing axe weighs only 3 pounds if you make a Tiny version of it. Costs also decrease by 25% per size category decrease, so a Tiny throwing axe would cost only 6 gp.

For example, a medium greataxe, 20gp and 12 pounds, is a medium sized weapon (like a medium dagger is a tiny sized weapon).

If I make it a large greataxe, the size increases to large. This changes the cost and weight to either 40gp and 24 pounds or 30gp and 18 pounds.

Which of the two would you say is the one to follow? (So not counting DM intervention.)

Jeraa
2012-05-24, 11:24 PM
Arms and Equipment Guide is not a 3.5 book, its 3.0. 3.0 had a different system for weapon sizes.

Waker
2012-05-24, 11:25 PM
Well, a quick peak at the release dates of the 3.5 Players Handbook and the A&E Guide reveal that the PHB is the more recent source for the rules, so I would argue for that.

Linguz
2012-05-24, 11:26 PM
Arms and Equipment Guide is not a 3.5 book, its 3.0. 3.0 had a different system for weapon sizes.

Well, great. Now I feel like a dunce. Thanks for clearing that up. Double weight and cost it is.