PDA

View Full Version : a well-rounded melee-type

trazwald
2012-05-25, 08:16 AM
So I've been thinking about how to make a melee character that would a) scale better at high levels than, say, a fighter or one of the ToB classes and b) covers some of the melee character's typical weak points. In other words I want it to:

-be able to do significant damage
-have high HP/AC
-be dangerous at close range, but have some capacity for ranged combat (or at least lots of reach)
-remain dangerous to flying enemies (preferably through the ability to fly himself)
-not be completely vulnerable to will-save-or die/suck effects
-remain fairly effective in an AMF

So far that's led me to a half-giant psychic warrior/barbarian(maybe WF variant, either spirit lion or spirit bear totem)/warblade/x with a spiked chain that makes good use of Expansion.

This still doesn't shore up the will-save problem, so I've thought about throwing some cleric in there. Also, what are your thoughts on Warmind?

Feats so far:
-ewp: spiked chain
-power attack
-expanded knowlege to gain Psionic Fly (which isn't in the srd, but seems reasonable)
-maybe steadfast determination? Iron Will?
-maybe combat reflexes (though dex won't be great)

I doubt I'll take improved trip, disarm etc. If I want to do those things I'll just rely on being really big/strong. imp bullrush+shock trooper+dungeon crusher could be sweet, especially combined with flight, pounce and being really big (downward charge/bullrush into the ground/falling damage anyone?) though that might be too much cheese for my taste...

Oh, and how does one overcome the problem of super-low dex due to expansion in order to make some decent AoO's? I thought about asking for a houseruled feat that granted AoO's based on str instead of dex, provided that I don't cheese it out too hard.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Brock Samson
2012-05-25, 12:05 PM
Well there's some magic items in the MIC that might help you a little. One gives you an extra AoO (not sure if it's only 1/day or 1/rnd, and big difference). Also, Gloves of Dex.

Ernir
2012-05-25, 12:43 PM
Psionic Fly (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/flyPsionic.htm) exists. It's just kind of bad.
For the same Expanded Knowledge you'd have to spend on learning Psionic Fly, I suggest Metamorphosis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/metamorphosis.htm). It's a power you can build around.

I wouldn't spend too much time dipping around unless you have a really good (and well scaling) reason to, if you see yourself playing at high levels. Psiwars' power progression is slow enough already, and they are the real juice behind your character.

War Mind isn't useless, but you need to make sure you're getting very good mileage out of both the War Mind's class features (usually Sweeping Strike) and the extra levels you get to play with.

trazwald
2012-05-25, 01:26 PM
Hmmm, yeah Psionic Fly definitely seems sub-par for a 4th-level power. Before seeing that I was going to recommend it be a 3rd-level power (it's a more-limited version of a 3rd level spell after all.) Metamorphosis for the win then! And if I'm going to be using that, I might pick up metamorphic transfer too, that could be fun :P

It seems like I could make good use of sweeping strike, given the character's reach and strength damage, but I would mostly be going into war mind for the power points and BAB. Comparing the two, it may just be better to stay in psywar and take a late dip in warblade for some high-level maneuvers. Warmind only gives 3 more power points and 2 more BAB in that psywar over the course of the 10 levels. Sweeping strike would be sweet, but depends on enemies being adjacent to each other. Chain of overwhelming force is nice, but 10d6 1/day isn't AMAZING. The real loss of Warmind would be that I'd lose access to higher level powers. It would take a little longer to get to 3rd-level powers, but after 10 levels of warmind I would be able to get powers above 5th level until well into epic levels.

May just be better to go straight psywar and dip into warblade at higher levels... hmm.

Is there any sort of daring outlaw-esque feat that allows Warmind levels to stack for determining highest-level powers known?

And this may deserve another thread, but now that we're talking about Metamorphosis and possibly using the supernatural abilities of a given form, what are some forms that have particularly awesome supernatural abilities that would be worth a feat to use 3/day?

Curmudgeon
2012-05-25, 01:38 PM
I doubt I'll take improved trip, disarm etc. If I want to do those things I'll just rely on being really big/strong.
Being bigger and stronger doesn't get you the bonus attack that Improved Trip grants. Improved Trip is probably the 3rd strongest core feat (after Natural Spell and Power Attack). You've already got the right weapon for the job. You should add Steadfast Boots (Magic Item Compendium, pages 138-139); they're cheap for the benefit you receive when you're wielding a spiked chain.

Have you considered a Feathered Wings graft (Fiend Folio, page 210)? You won't need magic/psionics to fly if you get that.

docnessuno
2012-05-25, 01:41 PM
Also, what are your thoughts on Warmind?

I absolutely LOVE that PRC.

On a side note, for your will-save problems Occult slayer can be a nice fix.

Quellian-dyrae
2012-05-25, 03:51 PM
Both warblades and psychic warriors have access to a way to deal with Will saves. Moment of Perfect Mind for warblades, Empty Mind for psychic warriors. There are costs to use them, so it's not as good as an actual high save, but they'll do in a pinch.

EDIT: As another option, you could dip Swordsage rather than Warblade. It would hurt your BAB and hit points some, and limit your maneuver recovery, but would help your Will a bit and get you more maneuvers.

Rubik
2012-05-25, 04:10 PM
And this may deserve another thread, but now that we're talking about Metamorphosis and possibly using the supernatural abilities of a given form, what are some forms that have particularly awesome supernatural abilities that would be worth a feat to use 3/day?Just a note: remember that the Su ability granted by Metamorphic Transfer can be chosen from whatever Su abilities happen to belong to the form you're in. You don't have to use the same one multiple times (although you can), and you don't have to specify a certain Su ability when you take the feat.

So, basically, you can spontaneously use any 3 Su abilities per day, and they depend on whatever form you're in when you use each one. You're not locked down until you use them. It's kind of like being a spontaneous Su sorcerer with super-sucky spells per day.

Also: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2926.msg97988#msg97988

Waker
2012-05-25, 04:12 PM
If you are concerned with SoS/D spells, you might consider taking a few levels of Hexblade or Pious Templar for Mettle. Crusader gets it too, but not until level 13.
If you are interested in both psionics and ToB, you could try to convince your DM to allow Jade Phoenix Mage to advance psionic casting.

Eldariel
2012-05-25, 05:07 PM
Wouldn't straight Gish be the way to go? Ranger 1/Psion 5/Slayer 10/Anarchic Initiate 4 is very solid, well-rounded type and can do all the normal tricks.