PDA

View Full Version : Reshar build

ThiagoMartell
2012-05-25, 10:05 AM
I don't usually use high level ToB stuff, but I want one for an NPC now and I need some help.
This guy is a rakshasa that is pretending to be Reshar reincarnated. I wanted him to have 9th level maneuvers of all schools and to be colecting the 9 Swords around the world.

How low level can I make him to achieve this? Also, how the how does Legacy Champion interact with initiator level? The way I read it, you get way more initiator levels from Legacy Champion then from, say, Warblade.

The Glyphstone
2012-05-25, 10:36 AM
Collecting all 9 9th-levels is actually really hard, and requires a very specific build. Sadly, I can't remember what it is right now.

Urpriest
2012-05-25, 10:40 AM
Collecting all 9 9th-levels is actually really hard, and requires a very specific build. Sadly, I can't remember what it is right now.

This guy being an NPC might help things, though. Lemme do a little digging.

So the Naityan Rakshasa is CR 7 with 9RHD. It's favored class is Swordsage and it's definitely a melee monster, so it would be very hard to justify those being nonassociated. While they've got "style stances", they don't actually have racial initiating, so anything added won't stack. Thus we can think of it as a source of 4 IL that costs 7 points of CR. You'd basically end up with the standard build for all 9ths, but behind three levels.

Kazyan
2012-05-25, 10:42 AM
Search for the "Archon of Nine" build on this forum. It involves using Legacy Champion as accelerated initiator level advancement (cheese you may be unwilling to tolerate), and achieves 9th-level maneuvers at level 20. Staple that on the rakshasa, but you might be able to do it earlier because of the monster HD.

ILM
2012-05-25, 10:56 AM
lso, how the how does Legacy Champion interact with initiator level? The way I read it, you get way more initiator levels from Legacy Champion then from, say, Warblade.
Well by RAW, it could be argued that 1 level of Legacy Champion gives you 1 full initiator level if you apply it to, say, Warblade, and 1/2 an initiator level from itself. Personally, I think that's stretching things pretty thin. Then again, I tend to pretend Legacy Champion never existed, so up to you.

ThiagoMartell
2012-05-25, 11:54 AM
So Nentyan Rakshasa knows maneuvers from 4 disciplines (swordsage ones). So we add Warblade, to gain access to Iron Heart. We go Warblade 1/Master of Nine 1/Legacy Champion 10. That's initiator level 19 = 4 (rakshasa HD) + 10 (warblade, stacking with legacy champion and master of nine progress) + 5 (legacy champion).
I'm not sure it will be able to get requirements and it's a very non-elegant build. I think I'll give up all 9s and just get maneuvers from all schools.

Urpriest
2012-05-25, 12:06 PM
So Nentyan Rakshasa knows maneuvers from 4 disciplines (swordsage ones). So we add Warblade, to gain access to Iron Heart. We go Warblade 1/Master of Nine 1/Legacy Champion 10. That's initiator level 19 = 4 (rakshasa HD) + 10 (warblade, stacking with legacy champion and master of nine progress) + 5 (legacy champion).
I'm not sure it will be able to get requirements and it's a very non-elegant build. I think I'll give up all 9s and just get maneuvers from all schools.

Unfortunately, it doesn't actually know any maneuvers, it just has an ability that duplicates them. Compare to the other monsters in the chapter that do have maneuvers.

Morph Bark
2012-05-25, 02:04 PM
Unfortunately, it doesn't actually know any maneuvers, it just has an ability that duplicates them. Compare to the other monsters in the chapter that do have maneuvers.

Hence why Unarmed Swordsage should be used.

Prime32
2012-05-25, 05:30 PM
Initiator level is based on HD. Pick an ogrish monster with lots of HD for its CR (30+, use advancement rules if necessary), then give it 1 level in each ToB class. Done.

ThiagoMartell
2012-05-25, 05:33 PM
Initiator level is based on HD. Pick an ogrish monster with lots of HD for its CR, then give it 1 level in each ToB class. Done.

What about the requirements?

ngilop
2012-05-25, 07:07 PM
I cannot find a link that works anymore.

but somebody did create a 'true master of the 9' on teh wizards CO boards a few years ago, all i rember is it was crusader X/Sword sage X/Mo9X and at level 20 you got all 9th level maneuvers with eachd isciline tombstone strike via the feat martial study.

somebody else internet-fu might be better than mine and could possible find a working link or even teh page itself.

Morph Bark
2012-05-26, 05:11 AM
What about the requirements?

Feats would help some, but you can only take Martial Study thrice. Martial Stance would help though.

Elfinor
2012-05-26, 05:28 AM
By 'low level' do you mean total Hit Dice, 'Official' Challenge Rating or Effective Character Level? Because it looks like ideas have been thrown around for all three...

Cor1
2012-05-26, 06:16 AM
Total Hit Dice.

I too am also interested in the ToB One True Build. Does anyone remember the name the build had on the Wizards boards? I always figured that there must be some way to basically get all the maneuvers from all schools on the same sheet somehow. (Ignoring duplicates, of course).

ThiagoMartell
2012-05-26, 08:22 AM
Total Hit Dice.

I too am also interested in the ToB One True Build. Does anyone remember the name the build had on the Wizards boards? I always figured that there must be some way to basically get all the maneuvers from all schools on the same sheet somehow. (Ignoring duplicates, of course).

I think it was called Becoming Reshar. If I remember correctly, it depended on getting requirements through magic items, which was frowned upon.

Cor1
2012-05-26, 09:07 AM
I think it was called Becoming Reshar. If I remember correctly, it depended on getting requirements through magic items, which was frowned upon.

Thank you. I'll look it up. Maybe I'll find a way to get the requirements otherwise, but I have a feeling that Tippy-esque combos of "Fusion, Astral Seed, Mind Switch, suicide" would be even more frowned upon.

Essence_of_War
2012-05-26, 10:07 AM
I think that this is the build. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137260)