PDA

View Full Version : Double Weapons

GutterFace
2012-05-25, 10:32 AM
Quick question that has been bugging me i need help with

a Double weapons like a Quarterstaff is listed for a Medium creature as

1d6/1d6

does this is when i make an attack it hits twice? how exactly does this work....

IF i attack twice would i roll to hit for each, or roll once and either hit or miss?

gbprime
2012-05-25, 10:38 AM
Quick question that has been bugging me i need help with

a Double weapons like a Quarterstaff is listed for a Medium creature as

1d6/1d6

does this is when i make an attack it hits twice? how exactly does this work....

IF i attack twice would i roll to hit for each, or roll once and either hit or miss?

It means you can use either end when you attack (but in the case of a quarterstaff, both ends are identical so it doesn' t matter). You can also use Two Weapon Fighting with it.

But the weapon does not grant you another attack.

GutterFace
2012-05-25, 10:55 AM
ah ok, thank you!

Keld Denar
2012-05-25, 12:44 PM
Think of a double weapon as 2 weapons duct taped together. Anything you could do while holding 2 weapons, you can do with a double weapon. The advantage is that if you only attack with one end, you can treat it as a 2handed weapon and get 1.5x your +Str bonus, which you can't with a longsword/shortsword combo. Also, double weapons tend to have slightly higher offhand damage than a light weapon of their proficiency level would have. Thats not really much to write home about.

A quarterstaff is basically 2 clubs duct taped together, except that it can be used as either a single 2handed weapon or a 1hand/offhand combo.

KillianHawkeye
2012-05-25, 04:25 PM
Some double weapons, like the gnome hook-hammer or the dwarven urgosh, have two different weapon heads and actually deal different types/amounts of damage. In those cases, it does actually matter which end you attack with.