PDA

View Full Version : Pruning thread subscriptions

Snowbody
2012-05-25, 11:40 AM
How much of an impact on the server is there from having a huge number of subscribed threads? (several hundred)

Most of them don't update anymore. Does it hurt the server to have them still in my subscribed list?

MikelaC1
2012-05-25, 01:00 PM
I dont know about the server load, but why dont you just drop them anyway? It must be a pain to try and look through them all for anything of note.

Mystic Muse
2012-05-25, 01:12 PM
I dont know about the server load, but why dont you just drop them anyway? It must be a pain to try and look through them all for anything of note.

It is. I purge my subscription list of locked threads or anything I'm not going to read through again on a semi-consistent basis because it's a pain reading through it all.

Snowbody
2012-05-25, 02:08 PM
It's not a hassle when they're sorted by date of last post. I just want to keep track of what's new.

Rawhide
2012-05-25, 09:10 PM
For every thread you're subscribed to it needs to make an additional sequence of queries to the database every time it needs to find that information. This includes when you load any page that displays information about it, as well as when it runs email checks to see if it needs to email people, and other background scripts.

So, the less you have, the better. If you're not using them anymore, it's better to remove them.