PDA

View Full Version : Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

Pages : [1] 2 3

inexorabletruth
2012-05-25, 01:25 PM
At last... dry land. :smallsmile:

The voyage here was unpleasant in spite of being uneventful. The lack of pirate activity only added to the captain's edginess, like a man who's head is at the guillotine but the blade just wouldn't fall, and he seemed no less agitated by the fact that he had offered to take you on, free of charge, for the benefit of extra swords in case pirates did attack.

Neverwinter Port is always a welcome site, regardless, and especially so now as you step away from the surly captain barking his final orders to his crew before they can enjoy some well earned shore leave. The sun is low in the sky, fading into the west, and cascading its brilliance onto the coastal waters. The gulls dance upon the wind, searching for scraps from the fishing boats. The briny air carries with it the smells of commerce like a waiter serving a prized dish. Aromas of exotic spices, strong ales, matured wines and incense mingle and writhe in the air about you. The bustle of dockworkers and merchants adds an oddly welcome clamor to the sounds and sights of the place, which stand in such stark contrast to the uncharacteristic placidity of the voyage here. Neverwinter is known for it's scenic landscapes, unparalleled architecture, and massive market district with a dizzying array of finely crafted furnishings, luxurious jewelry and silks, powerful dwarven and elvish weapons and arms, gnome-crafted items of alchemy, magic and wonder, and monolithic temples and towers of arcane and divine discipline.

But of course, you didn't just come here as a tourist, shopper, or merchant. Neverwinter is bursting with opportunity for the adventurer who wold seek it. Merchant caravans will be taking The Highroad north to Luskan as well as south to mighty Waterdeep to finish the last leg of their journey and will be requesting the aid of worthy swords to protect their valuables, and their hides. The Strikers, a new band of mercenaries who hunt goblins, orcs, kobolds, and other scum hiding in the cracks of the earth, are now recruiting brave young adventurers looking for a way to cut their teeth under the wise tutelage of Shimmer, a local celebrity in Neverwinter, and highly respected Ranger throughout the northwest. The Strikers hold a recruitment booth near the eastern gates of Neverwinter. And last but not least, the ever-popular Adventurer's Guild, located just outside the merchant district of Neverwinter, invites brave heroes to come and get easy access to a wide variety of missions and quests, for a fair fee, of course.

missmvicious
2012-05-26, 01:33 AM
Gwen steps off the ship with the rest of the mercenaries, her blonde hair blowing in the sea breeze and her sparkling blue eyes squinting in the bright light sparkling off the water. She smiles about the pending adventures bringing her hand up to eyes to block the sun. "So guys, where are you all heading?" She says warmly, her nose crinkling as she smiles.

AshesOfOld
2012-05-26, 06:21 AM
Fimble follows Gwen like a boy behind his mother's skirts, more than intimidated by the vastness of Neverwinter. When they first shouted "land" he had been overjoyed, finally able to escape that prison of wood and endless sea. But when the enormous towers and long walls appeared, his heart had sunk.
"It's so... big. I wouldn't even know where to start walking." His lips almost quiver as his big innocent eyes look over the ragtag group of companions he has befriended over the long voyage, hoping to glean some sense of direction or at least some confidence from their faces.

UpholderSSK
2012-05-26, 07:13 AM
A tall, thin shadow fell over the gnome paladin as Fanter stepped out off the gangplank, his silver hair clearly recently combed back into its neat ponytail and the sunlight glinting off his spectacles.

"I think we had all better start walking to the nearest inn for a bath and a respectable meal, Master Paladin. We are hardly fit to be out in public after that voyage."

Without even looking back, Fanter stepped to the side and solemnly held out his brightly polished shield flat in one hand like a serving tray. A single delicately folded cloth sat atop it, waiting to dab the sweat from his master's brow.

"Master Arceneau, would you care for me to see if this city has a halfway acceptable bottle of wine to offer? Clean water is certainly refreshing at sea, but now that we're back in civilization ..."

Lexin
2012-05-26, 09:07 AM
A short, fat shadow fell on Fanter (or at least his ankles) as Felix shown up. He looks a bit greenish.

"Men...uff... this last storm was terrible... what kind of... invented sea travel?..."

He catches his breath and looks around.

"It is not as big as Waterdeep, but I it is nice, I guess. Yes, inn, bath and decent meal, noble idea. You coming miss Gwen?"

Jungian
2012-05-26, 10:28 AM
A man stately strides down the gangplank onto the dock. Like a ravenous dog, his eyes dart about devouring the busy scene. His nose greedily samples the air, starved for some sensation other than brine and fetid sweat. As he comes upon the deck, his condition is immaculate. A neatly trimmed beard, black as midnight, surrounds his mouth and chin. His smooth black clothes hang tightly on his slim frame. His boots sharply strike the sun bleached wood as he approaches the spectacled man. He gracefully grasp the proffered cloth and captures the few stray drops that had formed on his brow.

"Thank you Fanter. " He steals a moment to neatly fold the cloth into a square before placing it back upon the shield, "I'm sure an establishment in the area must cater to travelers seeking reprieve from the potent swill these sailors seem to favor. A fine bottle of wine and perhaps a small meal sounds marvelous, Fanter. Though I have not an idea as to where one could be found."

Cloudsmeet
2012-05-26, 11:09 AM
"Ah, Neverwinter! What interesting things shall I find here, d'ya think?"

A surprisingly short gnome frogmarches down the gangplank, eyes bright and staring. Terlew ogles the passersby and surroundings, noting the new things and ignoring the old with practised ease.

"Inns, wine - they're so... old. I want to do something different after so long on that ship. Let's do something new!"

inexorabletruth
2012-05-26, 02:23 PM
Bars and restaurants aren't uncommon throughout tourist-flooded Neverwinter. It's difficult to go anywhere from dock to gate without passing by one. However, the more refined restaurants and taverns can be found in the City Core, as well as the Blacklake District. However, proper attire and decorum must be observed if you wish to seek service in Blacklake. Following the river walk will take you right through the center of town, and at its entrance, conveniently, is a map of the city.

@ Terlew:
The newest thing in town, and the one the sailors couldn't stop talking about, is The Dragon's Lair, run by a brass half-dragon. It's known for its exhilarating live performances by illusionists, dancers and musicians. The establishment itself is two stories of magical wonder, decorated on the interior by illusions so it changes appearances each day. Prices are a bit steep there, but The Dragon's Lair gets all the best shows.

The map reveals further information about off-the-beaten-path entertainment, including a brothel in the City Core, the Hall of Wonders located in the Cloaktower (also in City Core), and of course, the Neverwinter Zoo, located in the Blacklake District. Zoo hours and Hall of Wonders tours end at sundown, and you can tell that you have about a half an hour of sunlight left. The docks and the City Core feature many shops, stands, and street performers, but it is well known that the docks can be dangerous at night.

Lexin
2012-05-26, 02:37 PM
Felix Lynn

"I have nothing against sightseeing my friend, but we could do so tomorrow, getting some rest and, more importantly, meal first. Tomorrow we could look for any adventures you like... both the ones you need pay to attend and the ones that bring some coin are open for us."

He looks at the map for a while

"Hmm, I would prefer an inn in the City Core, what do you think?" he directs his question to everyone close, but after asking it he focuses mostly on Fimble and Gwen.

missmvicious
2012-05-26, 04:15 PM
Gwen absently points her finger to mouth making her thinking face thinking about what course of action she thought they should take. "I think getting some decent food would be pretty good, I am a little sick of jerky." then Gwen's smile widens "But after we get some food we could check out the Dragon's Lair. A little fun never hurt, and I bet the place is fun at night. Then we could stumble back to our rooms at the inn." She nods approvingly at her own idea.

Visual Aid
http://i-e.animepaper.net/thumbnails/preview/87514/1/[animepaper.net]wallpaper-standard-anime-the-melancholy-of-haruhi-suzumiya-innocent-thinking-87514-darkip-preview-4ac0b2d4.jpg

AshesOfOld
2012-05-26, 04:40 PM
Fimble looks around, paranoid and slightly sweaty under his armor.

"I'm with you there, Fanter. And please, just call me Fimble. Or Doublebat. It'll be a long time before anyone will call me a master paladin. Or even Sir Scrimnoodle..." Fimble looks up towards the setting sun.
"Someday, eh? But really, Doublebat will do. Or Fimble. Or Scrimnoodle. A combination of them will also be fine."

Fimble suddenly notices that Felix has walked over to the entrance to the main city, and hurries after the stocky halfling.

"The City core does sound like the most sensible thing. I've heard nasty things about the docks, and I wouldn't care to stand around here and wait for sundown."

Lexin
2012-05-26, 04:57 PM
Felix nods briefly.
"Good, lets find an inn first and, if we have enough strength afterward, we could check the Dragon's Lair."

He takes a look around, turns back to Gwen and Fimble and says:

" Do you think others are coming too?"

UpholderSSK
2012-05-26, 07:19 PM
Fanter favors Fimble with what could, from a certain angle, be considered a smile.

"If it is all the same to you, Master Scrimnoodle, I prefer to fall back on courtesy."

Replacing the folded cloth in his pack and tucking his shield under one arm, the slender half-elf adjusts his glasses and gestures for Oscar to go in front of him.

"Courtesy at all times, isn't that right, sir? Let's get everyone settled in a decent inn and then I'll see what Neverwinter has to offer that I can be satisfied to set in front of you."

Jungian
2012-05-26, 08:24 PM
Oscar flashes a quick smile and small nod, "Absolutely." He then ensures everyone is ready to depart before walking at a comfortable pace into the heart of the city.

missmvicious
2012-05-26, 09:28 PM
"But of course." Gwen says putting her arm around the nearest of her companion's shoulder (Nearest and not her half her height). "I already know you guys are swell so accompanying you would be beneficial. A new place like this can be dangerous someone without friends." She takes her arm off of whoever and steps in front of the group towards the center of the city and with a wide sweeping gesture of arm she points off to the city and says energetically "Let us go!"

inexorabletruth
2012-05-27, 05:08 AM
Evening does little to slow the excitement of Neverwinter. In fact, it only seems to enflame it. The closer you get to City Core, the more the sights and sounds begin to tantalize. Jugglers and sorcerers perform for pocket change, vendors shout out "FRESH FISH!" "CUSTOM JEWELRY!" or other brief summaries of their wares. The crowd spins and flows in a hurricane frenzy, trying to get the last bit of good shopping done before sunset. Eventually, you find some hotels:

A Quiet Knight Inn
The Mug and Platter
Matilda's Bed and Breakfast
The Dweller on the Horizon Inn and Temple
The House of Bliss

Roll Spot checks, please.

Croverus
2012-05-27, 05:33 AM
A loud thump follows the sound of the heavy dwarf jumping onto the docks, grinning at the sight of land. "Thank all the Dwarven Gods we're finally back on land! I need an ale, some dirt under my feet, and something fresh baked." He laughs heartilly, following the others in search of an inn.

Spot check: [roll0]
If I can, Listen check: [roll1]

Lexin
2012-05-27, 07:51 AM
Quite a wide offer, I would say. Lets see...

Spot
[roll0]

AshesOfOld
2012-05-27, 08:14 AM
Fimble observes Fanter with a curious if slightly annoyed expression.
"Well, I shan't hold it against you, my friend.

He follows the others across the town while browsing the citizens' faces, his own a quick mix of expressions, from curiosity over fear to a mean scowl.

It quickly changes, though, when he adresses his comrades again:
"Quiet Knight Inn. That sounds nice, no? Nice and quiet."

detect evil: several times behind us, and on each of the hotels.

spot check: [roll0]

Cloudsmeet
2012-05-27, 10:40 AM
"It sounds, quiet, I suppose." Terlew seems visibly disappointed by the thought of a 'nice' quiet time on her first evening in Neverwinter, especially after the drudgery of a sea voyage. "I think I might die if our plan is to have a quiet night..." she grumbles, the beginnings of a dark mood. "Although I could always sneak off to the Dragon's Den..." she muses, already bored by many of the common sights of the city.

[roll0]

Lexin
2012-05-27, 03:33 PM
"Uh... Fanter, right? Could you come closer for a second?"

DM

Felix keeps his eye on the kid, if he would be afraid that he would loose him, he would shout instead.

Fanter

Felix points discreetly on a nearby child. And whispers:
"See, my friend. This child just snatched Oscar's purse. I guess you two would like to know that..."

inexorabletruth
2012-05-27, 03:41 PM
As you approach A Quiet Knight Inn, the sign over its door becomes clear:

http://www.socialhistoryofart.com/photos/18th-1700-1770/TiepoloArmida&SleepingRinaldo1745ChicagoAA%20web.jpg

The ornate, if a bit weather-beaten, mahogany door swings wide at your approach and a smiling gentlemen dressed in outdated but stately fashion greets you with a bow. Upon entry, you can clearly see the faded glory of this once aristocratic establishment. It is well kept and clean, but it seems to sag a bit with age. The ornate chandelier is alight with silvery faerie fire, and beautiful paintings grace the walls of the main lobby. The main room is lightly populated with well-to-do merchants eating fragrant meals and sipping glasses of wine. An ignored musician plays a sweet tune softly in the corner of the lobby. The chairs are large and plush, and an older, portly gentlemen is snoring in the one next to the fireplace.

missmvicious
2012-05-27, 05:21 PM
Before we step into the hotel since I kinda got skipped a touch-
Spot check
[roll0] Yeah I notice nothing...
Hearing Terlew's disappointment Gwen responds "Don't worry girly, if the men want a quiet night in they can have one." she pauses for a moment to emphasize her idea. "That doesn't mean the ladies need to have one also. Winsome women like ourselves surely can find some hoopla. We can gussy up at the Quiet Knight then head to the Dragon's Lair for some fun and frivolity." Gwen speaks with her hands and goes from gesturing at the men to mimicking gussying up and ends with a point out towards adventure all while walking with the group in a bouncy step.

Lexin
2012-05-27, 05:36 PM
After a moment of thinking, just before Fanter closes Felix waves at Gwen and Fimble too. Catching thieves is paladins business, right?

Felix points discreetly on a nearby child. And whispers:
"See, my friends. This child just snatched Oscar's purse. I guess you would like to know that..."

missmvicious
2012-05-27, 05:51 PM
Gwen turns her attention to Felix and then the child he is indicating inspecting him and wondering why he would steal a purse. She nods to Felix "Okay, got it." and follows the boy to retrieve the purse.

UpholderSSK
2012-05-27, 07:28 PM
Fanter sighed as he listened to the news of his master's purse, nodding as Gwen went off to retrieve it.

"Much obliged, mistress. It is perhaps wise for me to sit this one out."

The butler headed over to Oscar to give him the news, and if anyone happened to be listening, they could hear the half-elf counting softly to himself under his breath.

"One ... two ... three ... four ... five ... six ... seven ... that's right, deep breaths ... eight ..."

Coming to attention just behind Oscar, Fanter leaned forward slightly and spoke softly.

"Excuse me, sir, but it's been brought to my attention that I may need to sew you stronger strings for your coin purse. My apologies."

Jungian
2012-05-27, 08:21 PM
A rather bustling market...quite unlike my prior residence.. As Oscar confidently strolls through the mahogany doors, he gives a casual glance around the lobby. He pauses a moment to enjoy one of the more interesting pieces. Absorbed in the piece, Oscar failed to notice Fanter's approach until the manservant was directly behind him. Oscar barely turns as he listens to the manservant's report. He turns to face Fanter , and in a grave tone he orders, "Fanter, apprehend this person and bring them to me. I wish to have a discussion with the culprit..Preferably uninjured. Understood?"

UpholderSSK
2012-05-27, 08:32 PM
"Of course, sir."

Fanter turned on his heel and set off after Gwen and the little cutpurse, moving as quickly as he could while still maintaining some semblance of dignity.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-28, 02:34 AM
The child wanders through the crowded city streets, brushing past a few more wealthy-looking travellers and turns down a path that leads out of the merchant district.

At this point he drops his casual demeanor and starts to look around, moving with a defensive readiness on the tips of his toes.

Those that don't wish to be seen may wish to roll hide and move silently checks.

AshesOfOld
2012-05-28, 05:14 AM
Fimble goes silent and serious, grabs a sap from his belt and follows the young cutpurse, trying to look inconspicuous, without having any illusions of staying quiet in his armor.

Keeping detect evil active, Fimble tries to hone in on the kid and detect his aura, if any.

Bluff to be an inconspicuous pedestrian [roll0]

UpholderSSK
2012-05-28, 08:08 AM
Fanter sighed softly to himself, knowing that if the little scamp bolted for it in his home territory they'd never find him again. The half-elf looked around the streets, trying find a side street that looked like it would let him circle around and cut the cutpurse off from running.

Hide Check [roll0]

Cloudsmeet
2012-05-28, 08:19 AM
Terlew, meanwhile, is completely oblivious, alternatively grumbling at the sameness of large towns and perking up at the thought of the Dragon's Den as a possibility later that day. She neither hears nor sees the kerfuffle.

[roll0]

Just rolling to see whether I actually hear this going on, since I most certainly did not see it happen. Will edit to reflect the roll.

Lexin
2012-05-28, 03:06 PM
Felix thinks for a moment and decides to follow. Not the child but his friends, in case they would need help with thieves older friend... although he doesn't think the situation is dire enough to hurry.

In case of battle Felix would join 1 round later

Hide- if needed
[roll0]

AshesOfOld
2012-05-28, 03:08 PM
Fimble looks around for any sort of guard-like types to alert.
"We have to head him off now," he says to those nearby.
"If he gets into the beggar's district up ahead he's gone.

If Fimble finds any watchmen he will shout "Stop the thief!" and chase after the kid, full speed.
If not, he will wait for a better moment.
Spot: [roll0]

inexorabletruth
2012-05-28, 05:25 PM
For those chasing the kid:
The child begins to pick up his pace, trying not to look like he's in a hurry, then just before he ducks into an alley, he hears Fimble shout to the guard, and jumps nearly out of his skin.

Looking back with a terrified gasp he charges, full tilt, down the winding alleyways towards Beggar's Nest.

You lose sight of him, but can hear him grunt, "OOF!" Then a much lower, more gravelly voice saying, "'Ello... wot we got 'ere."

"Heh heh... l-looks l-like the p-poor little d-dear lost his way."

"Whoa mate! Lookit wot tha brats got on 'im!"

"Mph! Let go! Give that back!" You hear a crashing sound and the boy cries out in agony. When you round the corner you can see the darkened silhouettes of a large humanoid, either ridiculously disfigured or not entirely human, and a smaller cloaked figure standing behind him. The child writhes in the corner and then lays very still.

For those of you still at the hotel:
A tall bull of a man stands behind the lobby room counter, smiling. Age has whitened his full head of hair and finely trimmed beard, but does little to hide the strength of the corded muscles under leathery skin. The fine suit he wears doesn't look right on him, and he fidgets with it a bit as he nods to you in deference.

The man at the door clears his throat. "May I take your hats and coats, madams and sirs?" He asks in a shaky voice.

Jungian
2012-05-28, 08:34 PM
An abrupt thank is all that escapes Oscar as he briskly walks to the counter. He eyes the man up and down once, before saying, "Hello good sir. I would like to inquire about your availabilities and rates for this fine evening."

DM

Does the suit appear ill fitted to Oscar?

inexorabletruth
2012-05-28, 09:23 PM
Meanwhile... at the hotel:

The large man dips a quill into some ink and begins scribbling some notes. Even using his most polite tone, his voice still rumbles out his greeting like the sound of a timpani. "Hello to you as well. For a gentlemen such as yourself, I assume you would prefer one of our Deluxe suites as opposed to a standard room? It has a large bed, extra cushions, a wardrobe, fireplace, stocked bar, and of course full service. We also have a Nobleman's Suite with servant quarters as well if that suits your needs better."

Jungian
2012-05-28, 09:51 PM
" All those sound lovely, but how many rooms are available for tonight? I'm currently traveling with eight companions. They had some rather...urgent business in the city, but I'm sure their business will be concluded shortly. Though I do have a question about your suit." Oscar looks the man over again, his eyes stopping at tight hems and ragged seams, "Sir, you cannot be comfortable in such an ill fitted suit." He gestures to the shoulders and arms, "You need at least another finger in the shoulder, and your left sleeve hem is entirely to short. I have some prior experience preforming minor alterations, I could easily finish this in the time it would take my companions to return. "

I must save this suit. A single sneeze and the entire suit is ruined...

UpholderSSK
2012-05-28, 10:15 PM
Fanter slows to a more dignified pace and turns the corner towards the boy's voice, sighing that getting back his master's coin purse had become even more complicated. He hadn't been in Neverwinter for an hour and already he was about to ruin his clothes with a brawl in an alleyway.

"Excuse me, gentlemen, but unless the Neverwinter City Guard are in very hard times indeed, I don't think you have the right to punish that child. He has something that belongs to my master, and I'll thank you to leave quickly and quietly. You'll have to leave that child's stolen goods, I'm afraid, but you will get to keep your dignity, and that's worth more than a handful of coins."

Fanter gives the two figures another cursory appraisal, arching one slender eyebrow above his spectacles.

"Probably, in any case."

inexorabletruth
2012-05-29, 02:28 AM
At the Hotel:

The giant of a man ruffles a bit at the comment and blushes slightly. "My... uh... my apologies. My, my daughter made..." He scratches his head, a bit uneasy, and some stitches stretch from the effort.

"Daddy, where are the fresh linens?" A young lady glides up to the burly man from a secret entrance in the walls and notices the group. "Oh! We have new guests! Pardon me," she curtsies and smiles demurely. "It can wait."

"Hrm hrm. As I was saying. My daughter made it for me. It's her first attempt. Quite nice isn't, it?" He turns to his daughter and stammers, "This gentlemen happens to be a tailor, and was commenting on the... quality... of the suit you made for me."

This time, it's the girl's turn to blush. "Oh! Well thank you, sir. I'm flattered."

Before she has time to say anymore he whispers to her, "Extra linens are being stored in the cellar. Hurry along, lass." After it becomes clear that the lady is out of earshot, he turns back to Oscar, with an apologetic look on his face. Speaking softly, he leans in and whispers. "I-it would break her heart. She's been trying very hard ever since her mother fell ill. When the timing is better suited, I wouldn't mind hearing your price."

Then, straightening up, he returns to business. "We should have enough room to accommodate you all, but we won't have enough Nobleman's Suites for each of you. We only have two of those available."
Back at the alley:
A wheezing guard joins up with you as Fanter begins negotiating with the silhouetted men. "What?! What's going on?!"

The big man and his cloaked companion look at each other, then look at Fanter on one side of the alley then back to the growing crowd of armed busybody's on the other and do some easy math. "It's the guards! Let's go!" They turn and charge toward Fanter, the big guy leading first.

Overrun Attempt:
1. AoO: Fantor please make an Attack of Opportunity
2 and 3. Avoid or Block: Fanter may chose to simply stand aside or attempt to block.

missmvicious
2012-05-29, 02:56 AM
"I suggest you gents stop right now!" Gwen shouts to the men charging Fanter and she pulls her trident out ready to fight. She sets her feet firmly and a frown on her face.

Jungian
2012-05-29, 05:32 AM
Oscar couldn't help but smile at the miss. As she went to fetch fresh linens, and when she is out of ear shot he says, "I must say, you have a lovely daughter sir. She is also quite a talented seamstress apparently." He looks over the suit once more, "Yes for a first attempt this is quite amazing. My first attempts at a suit produced several frocks. She should explore her talent, with more experience she could produce some truly wonderful work."

As the tall man's tale continues Oscar eyes soften, "I'm sorry to hear that sir, I pray for her full recovery. As for the price, consider it gratis. What are the rates per night for the standard and the two suites?" After a moment, Oscar says, "Sir I'm truly sorry for my discourteous conduct,", with a slight decline of his head, "My name is Oscar Arceneau, and your name sir?

UpholderSSK
2012-05-29, 06:40 AM
The butler's normally polite eyes narrow behind the frames of his glasses and he tightens his grip on his shield. Even though the huge man is charging at him like a ton of greased boulders down a mountain, all Fanter can manage to think to himself is, Black hands, I don't want to get whatever's in this alley on my clothes.

And then there is no more time to think. The man charges in, and Fanter braces himself and brings his brilliantly polished shield crashing forward to meet the brute.

Combat

Attack of Opportunity, Shield Bash:
[roll0]
If Hits, Damage:
[roll1]

Not moving out of the way seems like a fool's errand, but after jogging all the way here Fanter might as well try and stop him. :smallwink:

AshesOfOld
2012-05-29, 04:00 PM
Seeing the atrocities committed to both a child and soon also the poor butler, Fimble's course is clear.

He smartly drops the sap and pulls his hooked hammer from his belt readying himself to swing the hammer on the nearest thug, when they pass him and Fanter.

"Halt, Evildoers!" he shouts with great power, eyes flashing with judicial rage.

Readied attack (smite evil): [roll0]
Damage if hit: [roll1]
If crit, then: [roll2]

Lexin
2012-05-29, 04:05 PM
Felix was a bit behind others in this chase so he cannot help... at least not them.
He crouches by the child and checks if there is anything he could do to help him.

[OoC]: Can anyone explain to me why Heal isn't a class skill for monks?
Heal try
[roll0]

AshesOfOld
2012-05-29, 04:43 PM
Seeing the atrocities committed to both a child and soon also the poor butler, Fimble's course is clear.

He charges the thugs with his sap, not wanting to give them a chance to slip away.

"Halt, Evildoers!" he shouts with great power, eyes flashing with judicial rage.

Charge (smite evil): [roll0]
Dmg if hit: [roll1]
if crit: [roll2]

inexorabletruth
2012-05-29, 06:10 PM
At the Hotel:
"My name is Sir Durgen Grimshaw. My friends just call me Grim." He offers a large hairy hand to shake. "And thank you for your sympathy. It's a pleasure to meet you. Honor demands that I pay you something for the work. I'll tell you what, how about we make a trade. You repair the suit, and I'll give you 10% off your rooms. Just don't let my daughter know you're working on it. Do we have a deal?"

He shows you the piece of paper he's scribbling on, which contains rates for the rooms:

Nobleman's Suite: 3 gp per night, pluls 1 sp per servant
Deluxe Suite: 2 gp per night
Standard Rooms: 5 sp per night

**Extra cots available on request for 1 cp per night each.

Just outside Beggar's Nest:
Seeing the Paladin scream at the brute and his companion, the guard blows his whistle and draws his short sword.

Initiative: [roll0]
"Nobody move if you know what's good for you!"

The brute collides into Fanter's shield, like a mallet banging against a gong. He roars at Fanter like a caged lion and spits something out at him. Blood splatters across the Fanter's shield, who then notices a loose ogre tooth bouncing off his shoulder.

Opposed STR check [roll1]
Fanter please roll opposed STR check.

@ Felix:
Hovering over the boy, Felix examines the crack on his skull. He bandages the wounds to stop the bleeding, but the lad is still unconscious and pale from blood loss.

Initiative:
Guard: [roll2]
Big Guy: [roll]1d20-1[roll]
Little Guy: [roll3]
Fanter: [roll4]
Felix: [roll5]
Fimble: [roll6]
Gwen: [roll7]

Those of you who already rolled, my bad. You're welcome to keep your own roll results if it's better than the roll I just made. My apologies.

In order of appearance:

Gwen
Little Guy NPC
Fimble
Fanter
Guard NPC
Big Guy
Felix (since you said you delayed until round 2.)

UpholderSSK
2012-05-29, 08:22 PM
Fanter grunted at the unbelievable weight of the thug and set his feet into dusty stones of the alleyway.

Just like moving a dresser across the floor, old boy ...

First opposed strength:
[roll0]
Second opposed strength:
[roll1]

Croverus
2012-05-29, 09:29 PM
Gordid paused for a few minutes by the Inn's fireplace to rebraid his beard, which had a few knots in it now thanks to the long trip over seas. Once satisfied he went to the counter and banged on it with one meaty fist. "Ye be servin any Dwarven Ale at this Inn? Been sailing for far longer than any Dwarf should, and had nary a drop of Ale the whole trip. I want something that could knock a man off his feet after one chug."

inexorabletruth
2012-05-30, 12:22 AM
Just outside of Beggar's Nest:
The resounding strike of the shield rattles the brute's bones, and he stumbles backward, shaking the dizziness out of his head., growling angrily. The little guy following him skids to a halt just in time to avoid a collision.

Adjusted Movement:
Big Guy is now in K,L 5 and K,L 6.

At the Inn:
While Oscar mulls over the deal and the prices, Grim turns to the Dwarf with a knowing smile. "Master dwarf," he responds with an amused chuckle, "we have imported ales all the way from the dwarven mines of the Spine of the World that may suit your fancy. However, if it's a good nights sleep in one sip you're looking for, then..." he disappears behind a door in the back, "you'll want some of this." He quickly returns, carefully and reverently displaying a beautiful and ornate bottle. "It's St. Kuloomgoluama'a Mountain Whiskey. Brewed by the Goliath Monastery on the Greypeak Mountains. I came across them years ago. It remains the only Goliath monastery I've ever seen, but they brew a powerful drink for friendly competition. Goliaths each stand in their own one foot circle, and all take a shot. You keep taking shots until you fall or can no longer hold your balance well enough to stay inside the circle. It is a sign of incredible fortitude to down three shots and remain standing. The goliaths... well, they drink from this," He twists the bottom of the bottle, which comes loose, revealing that it is a 3 oz. cup, and sets it ceremoniously on the table. "Us lowlanders, however, are allowed to drink from this." He twists the top of the bottle, which is actually a 1 oz. cup and sets that inside the 3 oz. cup for comparison. He then smiles and issues a subtle laugh. "Most of our hardier guests who wish for a stout nightcap... we just mix some of this in with some lime juice and water" He pulls out an eye-dropper, "using two drops. If it's a nightcap your wish for, you may want to rent the room first. We'll bring your drink to your room. The nightcap is 4 copper. We'll just add it to your tab when you check out."

Croverus
2012-05-30, 12:38 AM
"Aye, I've heard of that monastery. Visited it once in me youth when I had been trainin to be a monk. But my short temper and casual use of brute force barred me from completing me trainin. I'll gladly take a single room and a nightcap. I'll tell ya in the mornin what I think of it." He grins, stroking the braid of his beard as he looks at the bottle with a tirst in his eye.

missmvicious
2012-05-30, 12:54 AM
Gwen's eyes narrow angrily seeing the humanoid run into Fanter. "Oh you really shouldn't have done that." She says in a menacing tone, though she is unable to reach the larger humanoid she as she charging towards the smaller one.
Attack
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

inexorabletruth
2012-05-30, 04:55 AM
Catching the cloaked man by surprise, Gwen plunges her trident through his thin armor and deep into his chest. Blood erupts from his mouth and his back distorts weirdly. He drops... mouthing words he hasn't the strength to speak, and then falls to the ground, silent forever more.

The furious half-ogre, now aware of the dire situation, crouches low, ready for another slam from the deceptively mighty half-elf. When the shield rushes in, he launches himself to a full upright position sweeping his lead arm wide in a defensive motion that scoops Fanter up by the shield and knocks him back a foot. With his other arm, he reaches for his mighty club (more a tree than a branch), smiling wickedly. But the half-ogre's amused confidence only distracts him from the threat charging in from behind.

Fimble's hammer slams into the enormous foe's hip, causing him to bellow in pain. His beady eyes bear down on you and he growls in rage, revealing a row of jagged teeth, minus one tusk and horrid breath.

You can all tell by now that he is definitely a half ogre, and he is really upset.

UpholderSSK
2012-05-30, 07:18 AM
Fanter takes a half-second to adjust his spectacles that had been knocked sideways by the impact, rolling one shoulder and bringing his shield up to the ready position. Taking one careful step forward, the half-elf drops his shoulder and throws all his weight behind it.

5ft. step to M5
Shield Bash the half-ogre

Shield Bash Attack
[roll0]
Shield Bash Damage
[roll1]
Shield Bash Hypothetical Crit Confirm ( :smalltongue: )
[roll2]

Cloudsmeet
2012-05-30, 08:54 AM
Terlew finally gets around to noticing Oscar, the innkeeper. She looks him up and down before stepping over to him and whispering loudly "I'm not sure whether you notice, good sir, but I really think you need to get a tailor to fix your suit - or better yet, get a new one." She is quite obviously completely oblivious to the prior conversation despite her close proximity, and has no idea of the insult she may have offered.

Anyone at the hotel, feel free to give Terlew a literal whack on the head. Not only does she deserve it, but something like this has most likely happened multiple times on the journey on the ship, so you're probably used to keeping her in line.

Jungian
2012-05-30, 12:09 PM
Oscar mulls over the deal offered by Sir Grim as he peruses the prices for the rooms,I was not expecting compensation, considering I in inadvertently insulted his daughter's work...Though it would be terribly rude to refuse such an offer. He was about to accept the deal when Gordid poses his inquiry about a stiff drink. The history about the whiskey, while not Oscar's favorite beverage, was endlessly fascinating and he raptly listens to the tale. The thirsty glint in Gordid's eye was not unfamiliar to Oscar, At least he will have is own room... Last time I was unaware that Gordid likes to wander from bed to bed at the slightest bit of drink...

He begins to say, "Sir Grim, I believe the terms are more than acceptable and...." only to interrupted by Terlew. A look of horror flashes across his face as Terlew bluntly comments on the suit and he quickly places a hand on Terlew's shoulder and says, "Please excuse my companion Sir Grim. She possesses a rather brilliant mind and often becomes lost in her own thoughts. She surely means no offense...most likely." He folds the piece of paper and places it within his pocket, "I would like to reserve a noble suite with a single servant for at least four days. Unfortunately, my servant is currently in possession of my purse, though he should be present momentarily. As for the suit, whenever I get settle into my lodgings feel free to stop by at your earliest convenience. Though considering the graciousness of your offer, allow me to counter with one of my own. Would you and your lovely daughter care to join me for a repast later this evening? It is rather short notice, so it is completely understandable if you have other plans schedule. Though I must insist you join me before the end of my stay. My servant is quite a skilled chef, and you absolutely must sample some of his roasted duck."

Lexin
2012-05-30, 12:35 PM
Felix checks the damage done to the child and his face, which usually is kind and cheerful, now starts to show silent rage. He turns to the guard and...

"Please take care of the child, sir. I need to... help my friends now."

... after that he charges at the Big bully and attacks.

I will post now, as the actions are for both rounds.

The instructions for the guard would be the first round of combat,
and charge (if possible to K4) and attack at the bully would be the start of second round of combat:
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Stunning fist (DC 15)

inexorabletruth
2012-05-30, 02:22 PM
The guard, unsure of what to make of all this, blows his whistle as hard as he can.

"You there! With the trident! Stop right there! All of you! Stop!" He then blows his whistle several more times and fidgets nervously.

Readied action: Move to chase anyone who attempts to leave the alley
Whistle call will summon [roll0] guards at the end of the round.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-30, 11:49 PM
In the Alley:
The half-ogre draws his enormous club, raising it high in both hands. He roars in rage and brings it slamming down onto Fanter.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage (2 Handed): [roll1]
If Crit:
Confirm: [roll2]
Damage (2 Handed): [roll3]
Move:
If that drops Fanter, then he's going to move down the alleyway to N,O8. If not, he's going to just stay there, since he's really too big to go anywhere else.

Back at the Inn:
Grim stiffens a bit at Terlew's comment, but maintains his poise, and instead turns his attention towards Oscar.

"That's very generous of you, Master Arceneau. We work rather late, but we can join you once I've closed the books. It shouldn't be more than a few more hours. The Nobleman's Suite comes with a water clock. How does 10 o'clock sound?"

He gathers up keys for those who have requested a room.

"Our servants receive gratuities, but may pay for your room and incidental charges when you check out. Arthur will see you to your rooms." He nods to the heretofore quiet doorman, who appears by Oscar's side as quietly as if he'd teleported there.

"May I help you with your luggage, sirs?" Arthur says slowly and with exquisite pomp.

Grim turns to Terlew. "Will the miss require a room as well?"

inexorabletruth
2012-05-31, 02:01 PM
The half-ogre grins evilly at the sight of rotund halfling charging in with rage, and braces for the impact, ready to enjoy watching the little guy bounce off him like a ball. Then comes the halfling's brutal punch to the knee:

"SSSSSSSSS!" He sucks in air in shocked agony as his nerves tingle as if they'd been set on fire. The brute's eyelids scrunch up into a wince... surprised that the little guy could cause so much pain. "RRRRRAH! Tha' stings!" The half-ogre bellowed as he braces his knee grinds his teeth angrily. He looks up and sees the guards rounding the bend and his jaw drops slack. "Now tha's unfair! Look... can' we talk this ova'? I didn' do nuffin'!"

One of the guards moves toward the fallen boy, crouches low and checks his wounds. "They assaulted the boy! Get them!"
Guard 4 Move: A6 to D4

Hearing the guard's decree, the next guard draws his sword and closes in on the nearest opponent (Gwen) "Drop your trident and surrender this instant! You're under arrest!"
Guard 2 Move: A5 to G5
Action: Ready Action

Guard 3: Moves
Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]
Fanter (only) can roll Spot or Listen to notice the guard, but you take penalties for being distracted by the half-ogre, plus you're trying to hear over the clamor of battle.

UpholderSSK
2012-05-31, 02:59 PM
Despite trying to keep his attention on the half-ogre in front of him, Fanter's pointed elven ears pricked up a bit as he felt like he was being watched.

Spot:
[roll0]
Listen
[roll1]

Jungian
2012-05-31, 03:16 PM
At the doorman's request, Oscar gratefully hands over his pack,"Ah that would be lovely sir, thank you.". When asked about his cage, Oscar says, "I believe I can manage." He then follows the doorman to his room. A quick thank you sees the doorman off, and Oscar begins the arduous task of making sure his clothes are not wrinkled as he places them in the dresser.

Content with the state of his wardrobe, he places a cloth beneath Dorian's cage and crumbles some bread for the sleek raven to eat. Dorian disdainfully looks at the bread and averts his head as he lets out a rebellious "Kraw". Oscar smiles slightly and gently strokes the bird plumage, "I know Dorian, bread is hardly a proper meal for you. When Fanter returns perhaps he could find you some quality berries or barley. For now though, make daddy happy and just try the bread." The bird turns to look at Oscar before daintily pecking at the crumbled bread. Softly Oscar says, "That's a good boy." He then lower himself into one of the plush chairs and sighs as his built up tension begins to fade, I wonder where Fanter is. He should have been back by now, hopefully with my purse. If not....I suppose I'll have to seek some temporary employment until our destination becomes clear. He peaks at the clock, I'll rest for about fifteen minutes. Then I'll question the doorman about whether he saw where Fanter went. I just hope he is halfway presentable when I find him.

Lexin
2012-05-31, 03:35 PM
After using the famous 'Kneecap strike of pain' Felix looses interest in the fight as quickly as the big guy lost his sense of touch.
He turns around sparing a moment to answer guards...

"Finally, took you long enough. Now can anyone help me with this thug? I am not a healer."

... and crouches by the dying thug.

Posting now, because Felix effectively leaves the fight. If the guards try to apprehend them, he wouldn't resist.

Heal try [roll0]

Don't think it will work again but [roll1]

AshesOfOld
2012-05-31, 04:06 PM
Fimble blows air out through his nose, trying to regain his breath and a sense of what's happening. He holds his hammer ready to strike the half-ogre if he tries something.

"Nice job, Felix!"
"And you, you brute. Surrender immediately and drop that club or things will not go your way!"

missmvicious
2012-05-31, 05:44 PM
Gwen glances back at the guards, then to the half ogre, then to the small man bleeding out. "Might have over reacted a little..." she thinks, a grimace on her face.

Thinking quickly she decides what to do, she shouts to the ogre "If you run, I will come after you, surrender!" then to the guards "I am going to check this man's wounds." she then keeping an eye on the ogre drops to her knee and checks the little man's wounds. "Jeeze I guess I over did it some." Gwen's hand shake slightly from the adrenaline as she tries to stop the smaller man's bleeding. She applies pressure on the wounds and the man looks a little better.

Heal check!
[roll0]

inexorabletruth
2012-06-01, 06:12 AM
At the hotel:
Grim's description barely does the room justice. Oscar sees a work of nearly obscene luxury before him. The suite consists of three rooms: a massive den with a fireplace in an ostentatiously decorated mantle, a massive rug over polished wooden floors, plump over-sized chairs adorned with pillows and a large music box with a tiny figuring of a beautiful elven bard that softly chimes a soothing tune. To the right of the door is a hat and coatrack and a bar, fully stocked with wine and exotic liquors. An assortment of chocolates awaits your attention on the counter nearby. Then, the servants quarters, also none too shabby, with a small but soft canopied bed, a wash basin, and a mirrored cupboard. And in the far side of the wall, a broad window with thick drapes opens the servants room up with some light. Three doors exist on each interior wall of the servant's room: one to the den, one to a private restroom, and one to the master's quarters. The master's quarters are breathtaking, with a massive bed, chaise lounge, a vanity, cupboard, nightstand, and inspirational artwork of men performing heroic deeds, beautiful women lounging luxuriously, and ferocious, yet graceful beasts both magical and mundane. A bowl of fruit sits on the night stand next to the bed. A door to a private washroom can be found in one corner of the room. The windows of this room are massive as well, and the thick velveteen curtains that adorn them block all of the last remaining sunlight except for a soft glow at it's rim.

Gordid's room (Deluxe room) is nice as well, but with a smaller den, no servant's quarters and a simpler bedroom. The furniture is sturdy and plush, made of fine quality wood and cloth. The bed is large and soft, and rests on an incredibly large bearskin rug. The design of the suite is entirely more rugged than the nobleman's suite, and instead of artwork, animal heads and antlers decorate the rooms, as well as display weapons (not combat worthy) which are hung high and bolted to the wall with strong bars. The windows here are smaller, but can be latched open or shuttered. After Gordid is given a moment to settle in, he hears a light knock on the door. "Your nightcap, sir," Gordid hears in muffled tones through the thick wooden door.

In the Alley:
"I said DON'T MOVE!" The first guard screams irately as he waves his sword threateningly at the trident wielding Paladin. "Drop the trident, stand over by the wall! Hands high!"

Felix just manages to stabilize the Small Guy's wounds before he feels the flat of a sword on his chin. "You too, fatso," Guard Two growls.

Guard 4 points his sword from gnome to half-ogre to half-elf, unsure of who to deal with first. "You shut up, you!" His voice cracks a bit as he tries to threaten the half-ogre, who snarls at the little guard.

"Wait a minute..." Guard 2 whispers below his breath. "I know this rat-faced little bastard." He pipes in as he nudges the groaning little man on the floor. "That's Percy the Pocket... and you must be Graul, his pet." He sneers as he turns his gaze to the now very irritable half-ogre. "Your supposed to stay in-"

"I SAID DROP THOSE WEAPONS THIS INSTANT OR SO HELP ME!!!" Guard 1 screams again, this time looking at everybody. Guard 4 shuffles his legs wildly, obviously startled, and drops his weapon. "Sorry, sorry..."

The other two guards glare at the youngest of them (guard 4) for a moment before readying their swords.

Guard 1 and 2, readied charge.

AshesOfOld
2012-06-01, 08:03 AM
Fimble stands fast at the sight of the several swords at his throat. He lowers his weapon slowly and lets it slide out of his hand, while adressing the guards in a powerful voice.

"I am a paladin of the sacred Blackwing Order, and I and my friends were assaulted by this brute and his unlucky companion moments ago! We were acting in self-defense and on behalf of the poor boy on the ground. I surrender to your authority but demand that you take this criminal into custody immediately!

Diplomacy [roll0]

missmvicious
2012-06-01, 03:18 PM
"My weapon is already on the ground. I am also a paladin but with the Elear Freedom Order. If I move towards this wall I am worried this man's bleeding will start again and he could die." Gwen shouts to the guard, keeping her eyes on the ogre.

Lexin
2012-06-01, 03:58 PM
Just the slightest whisper:
"...fatso..."
Halflings face goes blank for a moment and he turns his undivided attention to the guard.
Did he just call me...
"...Fatso?"
Now his face shows shock...
He really called me...
"Fatso?!"
... which quickly changes into barely contained anger.

He just stares at the guard for a while and says, his voice first full of fiery rage, getting colder with every word, to end with icy-cold hatred.
"My friend got his money stolen, we chase after the thief shouting to get your attention so you would help us! Except all of you have better things to do! First, one of you comes here and watches as these thugs try to kill a child. He just stays there and whistles, not doing anything useful. We stopped these guys, I kept both child and this thug alive, when you just keep staring and shouting. Can you see these bandages, here on the child, and here... now look at my clothes and ask yourself a question why does the bandages look like they would fit right into these holes in my tunic. And after doing all your job for you. You. Call. Me. Fatso?"

Hope they wouldn't put him in jail... although he would react just like that...

inexorabletruth
2012-06-02, 12:51 AM
In the Alley:
There is a tense moment of silence as the guards stand off against all who are there.

"Easy now," a hidden voice says from the shadows. "I have a crossbow trained on you and reinforcements will be here soon. I hope you'll forgive my man's harsh words. I'm sure he meant no harm. Still, you'll understand that we have a job to do. Smith, see to the boy. Wright, tend to Percy. The rest of you will need to come to the guard house. We have some questions and we need to sort this confusion out, though I can guess right now who is guilty of what. Graul, you know the truce. You never should've come back to the Core."

Graul's eyes narrow dangerously, but he says nothing as his massive club falls to the ground. Smith, the first guard on the scene goes over to the boy and checks his wounds. "He's got a crack on the head, but the halfling tended the wounds well. He'll live, but he needs to get to a healer."

"Percy's fine, surprisingly. A pity." Wright guard mumbles.

Each of them pull out tiny vials and pour them into the mouths of the ones they're assigned to care for. The two awaken, looking suddenly better, but not in great health.

"Can they walk?"

"Yeah... they're good enough to walk," grumbles Wright.

The source of the voice comes out of hiding, pointing a repeating crossbow at Graul. He's older than the others, and possesses and air that commands respect. "I assume the rest of you will come along quietly. You, however... I've got my eyes on you. Now let's take a walk. You know where the guard house is."

Jungian
2012-06-02, 01:04 AM
Oscar spends about a minute in his plush chair before heading back to his room. Oscar smiles as he reflects on his recent cruise, taking a moment to bask in the delicious opulence,Oh yes, this is more suitable for someone like myself.. He spots himself in a mirror, which he immediately approaches. A proper wash is direly need, and plus I should get this salt out of my clothes. He grabs some of his soap as he strips off his clothes. He lays them out, before muttering a few incomprehensible words. The small specks of salt that had crystallized on his black clothes fade away. He checks for lose threads before giving himself a vigorous scrubbing.

Casting Prestidigitation

AshesOfOld
2012-06-02, 05:59 AM
Fimble makes sure that the guards bring his weapons, before he follows suit, head held high, and the half-ogre in the corner if his eye.

Do we know anything about Neverwinter's view on civilian justice?

Lexin
2012-06-02, 08:50 AM
Felix stares at the guard for one moment longer and then turns to the commanding officer trying to cool down.
Just a stupid guard. No need for anger. No need for anger.No need for anger.

After that he is calm... mostly... and decides to follow guards orders as he doesn't want to have troubles with local law from the start.

inexorabletruth
2012-06-02, 12:40 PM
With The Guards:
They take you back to through City Core, but through the back way, where there's less foot traffic. It doesn't take long to get to the guard house, a network of three buildings, a small decorative magistrates office, a larger building where the guards and weapons are kept, and a jailhouse.

"The magistrate is going home for the evening, but the captain can handle this. Wait here." The leader walks up to the door of the jailhouse and knocks. A slot opens, "A scrap in the streets near Beggar's Nest. Graul and Percy are amongst them. Plus," he waves a hand toward the paladins, barbarian, and monk, "these guys."

The slot closes, and you hear a series of latches click, then the heavy steel door swings wide. A guard is holding the door, and you can see the captain lounging on a large cushioned chair in front of a desk. He looks up, clearly irritated by the whole thing. He sets down his quill and looks up from his paperwork, waiting quietly for an explanation.

"There was a scuffle in the streets sir. A boy was injured," "L-lets not f-forget t-that I was s-s-s-kewered l-like a p-p-pig," Percy interrupts, somewhat indignantly, receiving a whack to the back of the knees with the flat of a guard's blade for the effort.

"Quiet Percy... you'll get your chance. Anyway, my men and I came on the scene to see this lady and these gentlemen cornering Graul. We were called by Smith's whistle."

The captain looks at the group, then at the guard who was speaking. "Oh yeah... we found this on Graul." He drops 6 coin purses, one of them you recognize as Oscar's.

The captain, looks back at Graul with a raised eyebrow, "Back to cutting purses again, are we?" "Found 'em," Graul grunts. "I was on me way to turn 'em in to the guards. Tha's why we were in Core in tha' firs' place."

The captain doesn't look convinced as he raises his hand to silence the half-ogre. "Alright," he says, looking from person to person. He looks at the lead guard and sighs, "Ayden, do these people know each other?" The lead guard shrugs, "I believe so. The halfling believes one of these purses belongs to a friend of his. Either all these people are victims of Grual's handiwork, or they were helping someone retrieve a purse. The gnome and the girl claim to be paladins."

"Alright," the captain replies in a long-suffering tone. "I believe introductions are in order. Well start with you." He looks squarely at Felix.

Lexin
2012-06-02, 12:50 PM
"Felix Lynn, of the Waterdeep Lynns, monk of Kramshaw Monastery."
He says in calm, confident voice, feeling there is nothing more to add there.

AshesOfOld
2012-06-02, 02:25 PM
"And I," Fimble steps up next to Lexin and gives him a reasssuring pat on the shoulder, "am Fimble Doublebat Scrimnoodle, paladin of the sacred Blackwing Order."

He gestures towards the stolen purses and then to the first guard they met:
"And one of those purses do indeed belong to our friend, resident at the Quiet Knight's Inn, and it was I who alerted the guard. Smith, was it? To the thief's presence."

UpholderSSK
2012-06-02, 03:27 PM
"Indeed, and I am Fanter, valet of one Master Oscar Arceneau, owner of the coin purse. A pleasure to meet you, I'm sure, Captain."

The half-elf inclined his head in a brief sketch of a bow, as propriety required, and then adjusted his spectacles afterwards.

"I'd truly like to see it returned to my master, even if my person must remain in your custody for the moment."

missmvicious
2012-06-02, 09:01 PM
Gwen struggled to keep from grumbling as they moved towards the guard house. She didn't trust the system and she was never happy about going to a guard house escorted by armed men. She mostly kept her mouth shut on the walk there to avoid making things worse.

When Percy mouths off about being skewered she glares at him. Her eyes like lasers set to destroy.

When everyone's eyes move to Gwen waiting for her introduction she breaths deeply.
Do not insult their laws, do not insult the system... She reminds herself and flips the switch, convincing herself to play nice with the guards rather then spending her first night in Neverwinter in a jail cell. A sparkle works its way into her eyes as she becomes "Good girl Gwen" totally not "chaotic force fighting the system", she stands straight and pulls her shoulders back and she looks the guards in the eyes slowly going from one to another as she speaks. "I am Gwendolyn Bennett from the Moonshae Isles, I am with the Paladin order Elear Freedom. We came landed here today after escorting a ship across the sea. While we were heading to the Quite Knight Inn the child lifted the purse off our associate. I went after the child to get it back, and to find out why someone so young would be a pick pocket already. When I caught up with him the big blighter took the purse from the boy and knocked him out. Then charged Fanter. I warned the two men to stop but they didn't so I charged the little one, Percy I think is what you said his name was. Of course you guys know the story from there. I wasn't really looking for a quiet night in, but I certainly wasn't expecting to end having a simple coin purse recovery getting so out of hand like this."

inexorabletruth
2012-06-03, 03:37 PM
In the Jailhouse:
The captain looks at each of you as you speak, listening intently, then he turns to the boy cowering in the corner. "Is that true lad? Did you steal that man's purse?" The boy, bottom lip trembling, nods his head slowly. "Speak up, boy. Which one?"

"A-all of them... sir," he responds timidly, and with shuddering breath. The only sign of surprise the captain offers is a slight twitch of his eyebrow as he turns his stern gaze onto Percy. "This your handiwork?" Percy clenches his jaw and tries to return the glare, but remains silent. "I don't have to ask nicely."

"Y-you w-w-won't believe m-me w-w-w-when I say 'n-no' anyway. I've n-never m-m-met the l-lad." Percy responds spitefully.

The captain sighs and runs a hand through his graying hair. "Well then let's start with what we can verify," He begins scribbling some notes on various sheets of paper. "I've heard of the Waterdeep Lynn's. Merchant family, right? They passed through here recently on their way to Luskan for Scrimshaw trade. I'm not familiar with the Kramshaw Monastery, but that lines up with their story of their son being a monk. And you do look a bit like your father," he gestures in a circular motion around his face, "in... the face... a bit." Then he looks at Fimble. "The Blackwing Order I've heard of. Legends say they ride giant bats, though I've never seen one pass through Neverwinter." He hands his notes to the sergeant, who passes them off to the various guards, who bow stiffly and shuffle out the door. "As for you, Madam Bennett, we owe much to the Paladins of the Moonshae. But I can't condone your soldiers running rampant in our streets skewering petty pickpockets like Percy here. This isn't some lawless wilderness. This is Neverwinter, and this is my jurisdiction. I'll expect you to act accordingly. Vigilantes make the citizens of this city nervous, and I'll not have our guards looking like impotent fools just because the Elear have a disciple in town. I'll be reporting this incident to the leader of your order. If I hear of one more outburst like this, I'll have your captain retrieve you from the Peninsula." His face remains calm as he speaks, but his knuckles go white as he speaks. He pauses to breathe.

"I've sent my men out to verify some things. Once that's settled you're free to go. Except you two." He points at Percy and Graul. "I've got a few more questions for you." He turns to a guard standing in the back of the room. "Officer Cooper, please take the lad into the guard shack and get him a cup of water."

Cloudsmeet
2012-06-04, 07:26 AM
Back at the hotel, Terlew looks at her room with extreme disappointment. "Only able to afford the standard room..." she mutters, fingering her not particularly full pouch deep in the folds of her robes. "Why couldn't I afford something more fun!"

She sits on the bed, pondering for a short time, dragging her finger in meaningless circles on the blankets like a bored child. "I suppose there's always the Dragon's Den tonight with Gwen and the others!"

Lexin
2012-06-04, 08:09 AM
Felix ignored the suggestion too focused on other information.
"Father was here, and went to Luskan? When was it? Maybe I will meet him on his way back, or something..."

inexorabletruth
2012-06-04, 12:08 PM
At the Jailhouse:
Looking back to Felix, the captain says, "Not but three days ago, if I recall, Mister Lynn." The young guard comes running back and bows, handing some paper to the captain. The captain reads it and dismisses the guard.

He stands up, sliding his chair out loudly. "If you'll excuse me, I have some questions for the boy. This..." he looks down at his notes "Arceneau you speak of is being notified that his purse has been retrieved and safely being stored here. Your stories check out, so you are free to leave. However, I should remind you that while your intentions may have been good enough, I'd thank you not to engage in skirmishes on our city streets, or next time it'll be a night in the jail or worse."

He stops Percy as he begins walking toward the door. "Not you, Percival. You and Graul know the rules. Take cell three until I hear from Officer Wright."

UpholderSSK
2012-06-04, 01:51 PM
Fanter nods, glad he wouldn't have to embarrass his employer by spending his first night in Neverwinter in jail with the common hoodlums. He adjusts his glasses and turns to address his companions.

"Thank you all for assisting me with this minor mishap right off the boat. If it's all the same to you, however, I believe I shall stay here with Master Arceneau's purse until he comes to retrieve it. Unless, of course, the Guardsmen here could be persuaded to let me take it back to him?"

Jungian
2012-06-04, 02:43 PM
Oscar had just been considering whether a nice glass of wine was in order, when he heard a knock at the door. "Ah Fanter, I'm glad you re...", but to his surprise the doorman informed him that an officer was in the lobby. He opens the door and steps out into the hall.

"Thank you for informing me Arthur. I believe I will receive him in the lobby. Please tell the gentleman, that I apologize for the delay and that I will be there shortly." Oscar then steps in and gently closes the door. He briskly walks over to Dorian's cage placing a cup of chilled water in the cage, "Now Dorian I expect you to behave while I am gone." He then places a sheet over the cage and goes done to the lobby to greet officer. He approaches and with a slight bow Oscar says, " Greetings officer, I am Oscar Arceneau. I believe you wished to speak to me. May I ask your name sir?"

missmvicious
2012-06-04, 03:33 PM
Not one to spend any extra time in guard houses Gwen flashes a polite smile at the guards as she leaves the guard house. She stretches her arms up to the sky with a relieved sigh outside. When her comrades join her outside she gives them a wide smile and put her arm around the shoulder of the closest, tall enough one and says "Okay so who is ready to get a bite to eat and then go to the Dragon's Lair for some jocular times."

Lexin
2012-06-04, 03:42 PM
"Huh, so not long, then, thank you for that information, sir."

He says, but his attention is slowly turning elsewhere.

"Did you say we should get some food? Brilliant idea, I would just prefer to stop by some tailor on the way... my clothes don't look that well after tearing off some bandages..."

Is it early enough so the shops are still open?

UpholderSSK
2012-06-04, 03:56 PM
Fanter favored Felix with a small smile, gesturing to his pack.

"I can take care of that for you, sir, if you don't mind. I come prepared for minor emergencies like this, and I've some experience with a needle and thread."

missmvicious
2012-06-04, 05:59 PM
"That's always a good idea Fanter. Felix are you going to try to catch up with your father?" Gwen inquires starting to walk towards the inn.

AshesOfOld
2012-06-04, 06:07 PM
"A pleasure to make your acquaintance, captain."

Fimble gives a short salute, more well-meaning than soldierlike, and turns to Fanter.
"If you don't mind, I'll keep you company while you wait. I'm not one to leave a matter till it's finished."

Fimble looks around the guard house, getting a feel of the place. As he does so, he places each weapon in its rightful place, checks and double-checks his belt and sheath and also the condition of the weapons he used in the fight, after which he continues to check every part of his equipment. Every move seems very controlled and he mumbles on and off under his breath, sometimes jerking his head up and smiling politely to the other people in the room.

Lexin
2012-06-04, 06:09 PM
Felix turns to Fanter:

" I would be very grateful for your help."
He says with a wide smile.

Then he turns to answer Gwen and starts following her to the exit.
"Not really, I am not a merchant anymore, although I still know some tricks, I think I would stay here and try to find some work with you my friends. Although my father would be coming back in few weeks, it would be nice to meet him here..."

inexorabletruth
2012-06-04, 11:20 PM
At the Jail House:
Those of you still there see the door swing wide and Oscar cross the threshold. He looks a bit upset.

Back at the Inn:
The doorman let's you in and bows stiffly. You see a large man behind the counter of the lobby scribbling into a book. Maids fuss over their final cleaning duties, and patrons appear to be retiring to their rooms. The large man looks up to you and smiles. "May I help you, young lady?"

UpholderSSK
2012-06-04, 11:23 PM
Fanter moves like a well-oiled machine to Oscar's side, holding out a hand to take his hat and cloak.

"Good afternoon, sir. We've recovered your coin purse with a minimum of fuss. I do apologize for the delay."

Jungian
2012-06-04, 11:47 PM
Oscar quietly slips his cloak off, ensuring it's properly folded before handing it to Fanter. As he does, Oscar leans closer to Fanter and speaks in a rough quiet tone ensuring only Fanter could hear, "A delay would have been tolerable, Fanter... What possessed you to engage in a public brawl? The officer came to the hotel to inform me you were here. You should consider yourself fortunate to not be in incarcerated at the moment. This is absolutely reprehensible behavior for a servant of mine, and I will not tolerate any business of this sort again in the future. Is that understood?" He sighs a bit as his hands rub his chin, he continues again though in a more forgiving tone, "Fanter, I believe we have grown closer over the last several months. I know you are not the sort of man to go around randomly starting brawls. I was told of this...event...but nothing else. Please inform me of the context of the situation so I may render a more accurate judgement." He looks around at the officers scattered around, "Though perhaps this conversation would be more appropriate in a semblance of privacy. You will explain as we return to our lodgings. We also have guests for our evening meal, it is short notice but I'll help you prepare."

Raising his voice slightly, "Would someone be so kind as to direct me to whoever holds my property. I do not mean to be rude, but I have prior engagements that require my attention."

Fanter

Don't want to be to hard on you.:smallwink:
Please feel free to rp our walk back to the inn, Oscar is completely in the dark about the entire situation. So feel free to explain.

UpholderSSK
2012-06-05, 12:59 AM
"Of course, sir. My apologies."

Fanter's simple nod is practiced and contrite, and without any further word he slips into his customary place one step behind and one step to the right of his employer.

On the road back to the Inn,

"My apologies again, sir. I had no intention of involving violence, but a large half-ogre was charging at me meaning to run past me with your purse, and I simply couldn't allow that."

Fanter pauses for a moment, as if considering how frank to be with his master.

"Honestly, sir, he should count himself lucky he only lost a tooth when I stopped his charge. The little beggar boy cutting your purse is one thing, sir, but a massive ruffian like that shaking down children for money is entirely unacceptable."

Another brief pause.

"If you don't mind me saying, that is, sir. And there's certainly no call for you to assist in the evening meal, sir. I can manage to complete it in time despite Neverwinter's best efforts to the contrary, I imagine. How many will be joining us?"

missmvicious
2012-06-05, 01:40 AM
At the Inn

Gwen holds her pack with one hand and rests the other on the counter and smiles at the man and responds, "Yes I need a room for at least the night, possibly a few days," her stomach interrupts with a loud rumble, "and dinner. Is there is anything you'd recommend?"

AshesOfOld
2012-06-05, 05:10 AM
Fimble follows the others back to the inn, a feeling of unease growing in his stomach. He looks back repeatedly, unsure of what this big city means to him.

detect evil, and spot check to see if they are followed.
[roll0]

Once at the inn, Fimble checks in with the innkeeper for a standard room, preferably close to the others.

Jungian
2012-06-05, 06:58 AM
On the road to the inn

Oscar listens carefully as Fanter relays the impetus for his actions. As Fanter concludes his story Oscar says, "I may have spoken unfairly Fanter, and for that I apologize. Your method, while somewhat unrefined, was absolutely necessary at the moment. I do not expect nor desire you to stand by as a child, even a cutpurse, is being attacked. Though it is somewhat sad that the boy is forced into a life of crime at such a young age. I also commend you on your strength of body and character, I'm sure there are not many men who are capable or willing to stop a charging half-ogre." Oscar focus his attention on Fanter's shield for a moment. The gore that had obscured the shield's brilliant sheen fades away, leaving no trace as polish metal reflects the ambient light of the street.

When Fanter informs Oscar his help is not necessary, Oscar nods his head in acceptance, "We will have two guest this evening, the proprietor Sir Grim and his daughter at 10 o'clock. I promised a fine meal of your roasted duck. I feel I should mention that Sir Grim suit is in need of alterations, which I will require your assistance with in the morning. Please be discrete on the matter , as his daughter created that suit specfically for him. She has recently started taking up the needle, and I must say her first work was rather impressive."

Lexin
2012-06-05, 08:15 AM
(Inn)

Felix emerges from behind the counter...
"Yes, dinner is a really, really good idea."
He says with a wide smile :smallbiggrin:.

"Ah, a room would be useful too..."

UpholderSSK
2012-06-05, 11:06 AM
On the road back to the inn,

Fanter inclines his head in agreement, his mind already planning the meal behind the still facade of his professional expression.

"You're too kind, sir, I'm sure any gentleman's gentleman would've done the same. And as for the proprietor's suit, as always I am happy to assist."

The pair comes up to the door of the inn and ascends the stairs after Fanter holds the door open for his employer. As they enter Oscar's room, Fanter makes an almost imperceptible noise of disapproval and goes over to straighten the corners of the bedsheets slightly until they meet some mysterious satisfactory angle.

"Well, sir, if you'll excuse me, I have preparations to make. I expect I shall be in the kitchen downstairs, so you may of course ring if you need anything."

The half-elf gives another small bow before closing the door behind him.

Downstairs at the Inn,

Fanter comes to the front desk of the inn, politely ringing the bell once to get the attention of the proprietor.

"Excuse me, sir, I am Master Arceneau's valet. I would like to make use of your kitchen so that I may prepare the evening meal. Do you have any fresh duck on hand, or should I stop by the marketplace?"

inexorabletruth
2012-06-05, 12:00 PM
Grim smiles politely, "Yes my lady. Rooms are 5 sp per night, though we have special upgraded rooms for 2 gp per ni-" He starts a bit when he sees Felix's head pop up from behind the counter. "Ah... my apologies. I didn't see you there!"

"As I was saying," he says after a moment's pause, "It's 2 gp per night for the deluxe rooms. Our kitchen is closing for the night, but we have some soup left. I can have a meal brought to your rooms, if you'd like. 2 copper each, since it's not fresh made. I'll add it to your tab." He begins scribbling up some more notes. "Your names?"

As the rest of you arrive at the door, a lovely young woman strides out and begins scribbling out a ticket as well to check in Fimble when she sees Fanter ringing the bell. She looks to her father who nods, then she glides over to Fanter with a smile. "Yes, we have some duck in the kitchen. Father told me Master Arceneau was having us over for dinner. I took the liberty of plucking two ducks for the meal. I hope that will be enough. Please walk this way." She guides Fanter through the servant's passageway to the kitchen, which is enormous and immaculate. The chef there is cleaning up for the night and scowls at Fanter. "You may go home for the night, Midge. I'll clean up afterwards." Midge stomps past Fanter and growls, "I run a clean kitchen," then stomps off indignantly with her nose high in the air, as if she'd made her point clear.

The lady smiles apologetically after Midge leaves. "You must forgive Midge. She can be terse, but she's a fine cook and a long time friend of the family."

UpholderSSK
2012-06-05, 12:09 PM
In the kitchen,

Fanter's normally placid expression curves into a small, rare smile.

"Ah, don't concern yourself, miss. Even if I didn't appreciate loyalty and service, the perfect state of this kitchen makes Mrs. Midge top-class in my book. Pardon me, miss."

Fanter slips by and takes the two ducks to the counter, looking around for some seasonings and finding them in a pleasantly well organized drawer. The butler is careful to put them back exactly where he found them, rotating them slightly so the labels all face the same way.

"So, miss, if you don't mind me asking, is Neverwinter always this exciting? I've not been off the boat three hours and I've already had to knock a tooth out of a ruffian on the street."

Cooking roll for the duck ( hope you don't mind that I counted the immaculate kitchen as masterwork tools :smallwink: )

Black damn, I try to move the roll spoiler down one line and it freaks out lol. I will just PM you the roll so as not to clutter up the thread with two posts.

missmvicious
2012-06-05, 03:39 PM
"Gwen Bennett's the name and the standard room will be fine for me. I'm not sure how long I will be staying and I wouldn't want to tear through all my gold to quickly." Gwen says with a smile. "And soup sounds wonderful, we've been aboard a ship for weeks and I'm glad for anything not made in the galley."

Lexin
2012-06-05, 03:51 PM
"Soup? Soup... Okay, I will take two portions then."

" Ah, I am Felix Lynn... and a simple room will be fine... lets say for 3 days for now."

AshesOfOld
2012-06-05, 03:59 PM
"Yes" Fimble says, smiling at the others with great warmth, "soup would be just the thing to rest our nerves after that ordeal. And you may call me Doublebat" he says with a grin.

He looks up at Gwen, furrowing his brows in mock sternness. "And please, my dear. If you do decide to go that Dragon Hoard place, please let me know before you leave. Someone will have to watch over you big folk, and make sure you don't step on more ogrish trouble!"
And with that he shines a dazzling smile and knocks himself loudly on his tiny torso.

Jungian
2012-06-05, 04:17 PM
Oscar watched as Fanter disappeared into the kitchens to work his culinary magic. I should retire to the room for the time being.. Oscar makes his way to the room and pauses as he reaches to open the door Ive grown tired of this black coloration, I believe a change is in order. As he enters the room he gravitates toward the mirror, and considers himself for a moment. Struck with inspiration the a dark red color flows from his shoulders down to his boots, when it settles his black clothing has taken on a dark crimson color. A quick turn in the mirror brings a smile to his face, hmm excellent but it is still lacking something but what? I know. As he finishes his thought thin stripes of violet appear on his clothing, each about one inch thick. Satisfied, Oscar goes into his room and grabs his spellbook. He then relaxes on the chaise lounge as he begins to lazily page through the arcane tome.

DM

If this is over the top for prestidigitation let me know and I'll edit the post. Though I believe it is a use for it.

inexorabletruth
2012-06-07, 11:16 PM
In the Lobby:
Grim assigns rooms and presents keys. "Arthur will show you to your rooms."

The doorman pops up behind you two as if from thin air. "This way madam and sirs." He takes your luggage and leads each of you to your rooms. They are simple, but clean, with a small but soft bed, a nightstand with a decorative candle, a thick furry rug, an empty wash basin, and a pitcher of water. There is a wardrobe in the room with mirrors inside the doors. There is no art on the wall, but there is a shuttered window on the wall and some heavy curtains. Next to the door is a writing desk with an inkwell, 5 sheets of paper, a quill, an hourglass, and a wax tray. The standard rooms don't have private restrooms, but there is a bathing tub. Arthur shows you the restrooms at the end of the hall. There is also a small wood burning stove and a box full of coal in the corner. It's not enough to cook with, but one could heat water or warm up a room.

After you have a minute to settle in, a maid shows up at your door with some soup.

missmvicious
2012-06-08, 12:35 AM
While waiting for her soup Gwen starts to clean up and getting ready for a night out.

Lexin
2012-06-08, 09:52 PM
Felix eats the soup quickly, freshens himself a bit and goes to the lobby to wait for his friends.

AshesOfOld
2012-06-09, 06:15 AM
After finishing his soup, Fimble joins Felix in the lobby, a nervous smile on his face.
"So, we're really going to this dragon place, huh?
Sounds like a place you can easily attract trouble. And I feel like we've done our part with trouble already."

inexorabletruth
2012-06-09, 06:25 AM
Felix and Fimble:
Your soup was delicious, especially since it has had time to cook slowly. Vitality surges through you as you gobble up your meal with a slice of bread and a chunk of cheese. When you get down to the lobby, the place looks fairly deserted. There is a medium-built, middle-aged man sitting in the corner of the room next to a lantern. He is digging in his ear and humming to himself. He's wearing light armor and appears to be the hotel's security night watch. Grim has left for the evening, and only a few wall candles are still lit, giving the place a drowsy feel. The guard looks up when he sees you and nods.

"You two heading out for the night, then?"

Oscar's Room:
You hear a polite knock on the door.

missmvicious
2012-06-09, 01:10 PM
Gwen bounds down stairs with new found vigor and joins up with the group. When she sees Felix and Fimble downstairs, she waves and smiles brightly. "Ready to head out to the Dragon's Lair?"

AshesOfOld
2012-06-09, 01:38 PM
"Aye." Fimble nods to the watchman, as Gwen bundles down the stairs.
"And there's our charming cue. I think we're about set, my friend. Though I do hope it will remain a metaphorical name."
Not really capable of taking Gwen's arm without looking mighty silly, Fimble instead opens the door outside, and holds it for her and Felix. As he does so something suddenly springs to mind.
"Wait, didn't Terlew also want to come?"

Lexin
2012-06-09, 02:32 PM
To Gwen: "Ready."

To Fimble: "I don't know, I haven't seen her in a while, we could ask I think..."

To the guard: "Have you seen our friend Terlew, sir? She is a gnome, blond hair, clothed in blue and cream colors."

Jungian
2012-06-09, 03:27 PM
Oscar had been engrossed in a passage in his book, on the merits of using Transmutation to both alter and strengthen a subject simultaneously. Hmm, this is quite complex but the benefits seem to outweigh the investment of time.

When the knock comes on the door, Oscar quickly closes his book. He rises smoothing his close to ensure no wrinkles were present.I expect that to be Fanter, or perhaps Sir Grim. He goes to the door and opens, with a cordial voice he says, "Good Evening,-"

if Grim and his daughter,

Sir Grim. Would you and your lovely daughter please step inside. Do either of you desire a beverage? I would be happy to get fetch it for you." As he waves his hand toward the bar.

If Fanter,

"Ah excellent." With a small sniff, "Fanter I must say that your dish's aroma is almost as sating as the meal itself will be. Now we must ensure all the preparations are in order."

If both,
"Ah what excellent timing, please come in."

If no one expecting
"How may I help you?"

inexorabletruth
2012-06-09, 04:58 PM
In the Lobby:
The guard offers a non-committal shrug. "Can't say that I have. My shift just started though. Is she a guest, or a friend in town?"

In Oscar's Room:
Grim is squeezed into another suit. This one looks to be of a more professional cut, but dated, as if it was something he kept around from his youth for special occassions. His daughter is in a lovely, if modest, dress and smiles sweetly. Next to her father, and not in her work clothes, she looks every bit the budding young lady. She seems a bit more shy now, and subtly uncomfortable in the outfit she is wearing.
http://www.nicolecadet.com/images/473px-Henrietta_Carpenter_by_Margaret_Sarah_Carpenter.jp g
Still, she curtsies and smiles, gliding with that almost supernatural grace of hers into the room just behind her father.

"Thank you for inviting us. And please, call me Grim. Mister Arceneau, this is my daughter, Giselda. Ah, of course, you've met her before. But that's her name, anyway." He tugs nervously at his collar and clears his throat. "You, uh, mentioned a drink?"

Lexin
2012-06-09, 05:07 PM
"She is a guest here, probably in one of the simple rooms. We could look for her the hard way if you don't know in which room she is."

inexorabletruth
2012-06-09, 05:27 PM
In the Lobby:
The guard sighs, and heaves himself off his chair, then lumbers over to the front desk. He licks a calloused thumb and forefinger and flips through the pages of a thick book. "Ah... here she is. No it's no trouble. I'll go knock on her door for you. You can wait here in the lobby."

The guard continues in his lumbering gait up the stairs and disappears into the darkness.

Jungian
2012-06-09, 05:31 PM
Oscar slowly closes the door behind Grim and Giselda. He heads to the bar and sensing a tension in the room gives a comforting smile, " I did indeed. A drink is quite a magically concoction, a social lubricant if you will." Oscar grabs a clean glass and places it on the bar. His hands move about snatching bottles with a dexterity built through experience. Without missing a beat he says, "This was a favorite of my classmates, its name is Witches Brew. It bubbles with just a hint of trouble. The drink is green and seems to have a slight fizz.

Satisfied with his work he poses, " Ms. Giselda would you care for a refreshment before dinner? "

inexorabletruth
2012-06-09, 05:35 PM
Giselda smiles softly. "Tea please, if you have it. So what brings you and Fanter to Neverwinter?"

Jungian
2012-06-09, 05:58 PM
"ah a fine choice my lady. Though I'm afraid yours may take few minutes, so please excuse the delay." After starting the tea, he prepares himself a stiff drink before sitting himself across from Sir Grim and Giselda. He takes a few sips, swirling the amber liquid around before saying, " I have come to Neverwinter with the same intent as many of the young men my age have, a desire for fame, esteem, wealth all the delicious human vices." A brief pause follows as Oscar takes a larger sip of his drink. In a matter of voice he says, " The oppurtunities presented here offer a way to obtain all that and more." Another pauses follows as the glass is drained, " As for Fanter, I offered him employment and he was rather thrilled to work for me. His talents were being wasted you see , with me it is a synergetic relationship. Our talents are complimentary, and we have an arrangement that is beneficial for both of us."

missmvicious
2012-06-09, 07:37 PM
"I hope that the Dragon's Lair is all of what we hope it to be." Gwen says imagining what the evening might be like. She absently twists a long stand of hair her eyes looking off in the direction the guard wandered. "And I do hope Terlew is ready, I want to get going and stretch my land legs."

inexorabletruth
2012-06-10, 06:12 PM
The guard comes back down to the lobby after a few minutes, shrugging. "She says she's more tired from the trip than she thought she was and won't be coming with you tonight."

He scratches the side of his head and clears his throat. "If there's nothing else I can do for you, then I'll see you out. I'm going to lock the door for the night, so if you want back in, just knock. I'll be right here."

inexorabletruth
2012-06-10, 06:25 PM
"ah a fine choice my lady. Though I'm afraid yours may take few minutes, so please excuse the delay." After starting the tea, he prepares himself a stiff drink before sitting himself across from Sir Grim and Giselda. He takes a few sips, swirling the amber liquid around before saying, " I have come to Neverwinter with the same intent as many of the young men my age have, a desire for fame, esteem, wealth all the delicious human vices." A brief pause follows as Oscar takes a larger sip of his drink. In a matter of voice he says, " The oppurtunities presented here offer a way to obtain all that and more." Another pauses follows as the glass is drained, " As for Fanter, I offered him employment and he was rather thrilled to work for me. His talents were being wasted you see , with me it is a synergetic relationship. Our talents are complimentary, and we have an arrangement that is beneficial for both of us."

Giselda smiles politely. "That sounds like a lot of excitement. Have you been to the Adventurer's Guild, then?"

missmvicious
2012-06-10, 08:31 PM
"That is to bad about Terlew, but let's not wait another minute!" Gwen takes a long stride towards the door triumphantly. "Come one guys."

Lexin
2012-06-10, 09:04 PM
Felix looks a bit sad after hearing that Terlew wouldn't come.
But not for long, when he follows Gwen he already smiles.
"Yes, lets go!"

AshesOfOld
2012-06-11, 06:29 AM
"Yes, we'll come back tonight. So if we're not... No, we'll be back tonight."
Fimble hesitates on the threshold, then turns and hurries after the others.

inexorabletruth
2012-06-11, 02:21 PM
On the Way to the Dragon's Lair:
You hear the door close and latch (multiple times) behind you as you step out into Neverwinter's streets. The place has quieted down considerably since you were last outside, but a few late night revelers, homeless beggars and young carefree lovers walk the streets in a much more leisurely stroll. In the center of the market square, you see a night watchman lighting the city's lamps. The sky overhead is beautiful, with shimmering winter stars that pierce the darkness like transfixed fireflies. The large, nearly full moon overhead casts a soft reflection off the cobbled streets. And apart from the indecipherable murmuring of passersby, the only sound you hear is music thrumming through the walls of various taverns and dance halls.

(If you wish to interact with anyone in the market square, stop reading now. If you wish to carry on to the Dragon's Lair, keep reading.)

The Dragon's Lair is fairly easy to find. Over it's door hangs an intricately designed wood etched drawing of a dragon
http://www.factmonster.com/images/ap108i2.gif
which periodically spouts a small burst of flame from its mouth.

The building itself is an attraction, designed to look like a castle (though much smaller) with a massive dragon wrapped around it, greeting eager patrons... or daring them to enter (sorry... this one's goofy, but it gives the idea)
http://images.addoway.com/items/6210/822784/6210_1_8dfb9d.jpg
When you get there, you see that the doors are already open, and the sound of heavy drums and seductive music greets you. Most of the crowd is transfixed on the stage where a beautiful unearthly woman dances what appears to be a wild and savage routine involving high leaps, crouching twirls and nearly impossible contortions of the body. Two male dancers in the background kick and spin to the rhythm, occasionally throwing something to the stage floor that sends a flash and a puff of smoke at each other's feet. The percussionists keep their heads down and wear long hoods as they bang on their large drums, and two flautists perform a sharp duet, which pierces the intermittent silence between drumbeats like a dagger through chain mail.

In the corners of the main room, young men and women sit at small, low tables surrounded by thickly cushioned chairs to talk, laugh and drink exotic beverages from large, fancy cups. Some are playing games with dice or cards, and one group of men cheer on two champions at an arm wrestling competition.

There is an upper floor as well. In the low light, you can't make out details, but you can see the reflection of light off of eyes that peer down onto the stage.

The two bartenders at the back of the main room frantically pour drinks for the clamoring patrons with barely a nod to the customer as money is exchanged. One is a tall, bald, tattooed man with a lean but muscular build and a heavy brow capped with thick eyebrows. The other appears to be a half-elf female with long, auburn hair twisted into multiple braids that are capped with sparkling gemstones. Her pierced face is set in a mask of concentration as she whips bottles around like jugglers' pins, shooting liquor or wine into glass after glass in a frenzied effort to contend with the demand.

Meanwhile, back at Oscar's room:
"My father was one of the charter members of the guild, actually." Giselda beams with pride in her eyes.

Grim blushes a bit under his beard, but visibly relaxes some. "That was a long time ago. I haven't even set foot inside their halls in years." He takes another sip of his drink. "This is really good. Witches Brew, you called it?"

missmvicious
2012-06-11, 07:25 PM
Gwen's smile widens mischievously as she takes in the sights and sounds and aromas from the bar. Despite the busyness of the bar she decides the first thing she ought to do is get a drink. "Let's get drinks first." She says to the other. "I haven't tried many liquors before, I think I will try some tonight." she thinks aloud, moving towards the bar.

Lexin
2012-06-11, 07:37 PM
Felix looks at the dancing woman for a moment ... quite focused on the view and then: "Drinks yes, good idea.":smallredface:

Jungian
2012-06-11, 11:01 PM
Oscar's left eyebrow lifts slightly at the news of Grim's involvement with the guild, "Indeed, though I would classify it as a pho-Witchbrew. You see a true Witches Brew requires a newt's eye." Oscar then excuses himself to fetch the whistling kettle of the stove. As the tea cools he prepares himself another beverage. He then prepares a tea with a single slice of lemon for Giselda, and placing it on a small saucer sets it in front of the young lady.

He sits back and sips his drink, "Now Grim I must say a founding member of a guild is an amazing accomplishment. Though I had suspected a more rough and tumble life at some point. Considering your rather muscular build. I absolutely must hear about it."

AshesOfOld
2012-06-12, 03:56 AM
Fimble enters the atmospheric place, mouth hanging slightly.
"Look at that dancer, Felix!" He says superflouosly, Felix's eyes already fixed on her. "That's incredible!"
Fimble finally manages to take his away from the dancer, long enough to answer Gwen. "Drinks? Oh no, I don't drink. Affects my good judgement, you see. Root beer for me, if they have it." He follows her, walking almost sideways, still looking at the dancer.

UpholderSSK
2012-06-12, 01:46 PM
In Oscar's Room
There is a gentle knock at the door, and after waiting a polite moment, it opens and reveals Fanter, tray in hand and with a cloth over his arm. He moves towards the table with the two steaming hot ducks, noting with an almost imperceptible frown that Oscar has had to pour his own drinks.

"Forgive my tardiness, my lady, gentlemen. Dinner is served."

Fanter begins expertly carving the first duck, laying slices of meat on plates and serving them as unobtrusively as possible so as not to stop the conversation.

inexorabletruth
2012-06-12, 03:27 PM
At the Dragon's Lair:
As you approach the bar, the music goes suddenly quieter. Looking back, you can see the dancers are still going on stage and the drums are still pounding, but regardless, the music is muted to a dull thrum, and the barking voices of patrons can be clearly heard. The male bartender looks up from his frantic work and nods at Gwen as she approaches. The half-elf glances over to Felix and Fimble and chirps with a smile, "Welcome to the Dragon's Lair! What'll it be?"

A sign above the bar reads:

Drink Menu
Shot: 2 cp
Mug or Glass: 4 cp
Pitcher: 2 sp
Bottle: 4 to 12 gp

Specialty Drinks: 5 cp
Today's Special: Zombie

Food Menu
Bread & Cheese: 1 sp
Fruit Bowl: 3 sp
Meat & Cheese: 5 sp
Hero's Feast (serves four): 2 gp

In Oscar's Room:
Grim stands reflexively as the door knocks. Then smiles and bows as Fanter walks in. Giselda follows in suit, with a broad smile on her face.

"It smells delicious," Grim blurts after Fanter opens the covered tray revealing the steaming duck. "Your timing is perfect, actually," says Giselda, "We were just getting to know Master Arceneau here. I've only just gotten my tea."

Grim and Giselda ease back into their seats again as the meal is being prepared. "Anyway, about your inquiry. It's not so amazing, really. In my youth, I served as a knight of Luskan, in what many refer to as the Savage Frontier. We were few in those days, and defenses were always being tested by barbarian and orc raids. Besides, knights are servants of the kingdom... not errand boys and treasure hunters for bored aristocrats who call in favors from the local mayor. Stretched so thin, we had no choice but to outsource much of our responsibilities to adventurers and the Elear paladins. Those were the dark times. Lawlessness and chaos was an infection on the city of Luskan, and the wizards who ruled there in their tower didn't seem overly concerned with our plight. So, we decided it was time to make a change. Several of the knights, myself included, decided to purchase an old storehouse by the docks and turn it into a meeting hall. There, investors could post signs describing the quest, and interested adventurers could accept them. To cover the costs of the storehouse, we kept a small portion of the pay as a sort of finder's fee. It worked out better than we could've imagined. The knights not only covered their expenses but made enough of a profit from their efforts to move the whole operation to the guild hall in Neverwinter, where it is now being run by proper businessmen. Of course, the knights there still receive a small portion of the profits which goes into a fund that helps them purchase supplies and new equipment." Grim smiles broadly as the plate is set before him and takes a deep breath. "Ahh..." he sighs as he stares at the food hungrily.

AshesOfOld
2012-06-12, 05:00 PM
Not quite sure what to make of the unusual ambience in the hall, Fimble shouts quite loudly back to the bartender: "Do you have anything non-alcoholic? I'm sworn off you see!"

Then he places a hand on Gwen's arm and nods out towards the musicians, still shouting. "Quite the place, eh?"

Lexin
2012-06-12, 05:32 PM
Felix looks at the offer. They have food! I need to come back here later...
"Zombie? Where did this name come from?"

Jungian
2012-06-12, 06:28 PM
As the door opened Fanter walked in Oscar nods his head in approval. Oscar self control was without question, as the enticing aroma begged him to devour the duck. Oscar intently listens to Grim's tale as Fanter serves the meal. Sensing the hunger in his guest's voices, Oscar says, " My friends let us enjoy the delicious fruit of Fanter's labor." He then takes a small bite savouring the delectable meat.

I was not sure if the host is supposed to take the first bite, in the event that the meal was poisoned.:smallconfused:

UpholderSSK
2012-06-12, 07:12 PM
In Oscar's Room
Fanter leans down to Grim's side and offers him a sauce made of duck stock and citrus fruit zest, smiling professionally.

"Your initiative is to be admired, sir, to be sure. If it's not too forward of me to ask, how is it possible that the Guild here is getting along without your esteemed self to help them?"

*cue crazy French chef accent* Poizoned! HMPH! I have nevar been so inzulted in mah laife.

Cloudsmeet
2012-06-13, 07:04 AM
In Terlew's Room
Terlew stirs. A cool evening breeze tingles her nose, and she sneezes, bringing her wide awake, groggily rubbing at her eyes and looking around. Where am I? Oh right, at the inn... Weren't we going to the Dragon's Den this evening? Why was I asleep? She looks outside, and it's quite dark by now. Slowly a memory returns to her, of a knock at the door and her mumbling half-asleep to "Go away... sleeping. Can't disturb my beauty sleep..."

She sits there a moment, before shrieking "Oh, for Cloakshadow's hairy moustache!" She looks down; her nice robe is rumpled and so she curses once again.

A minute later she is out of her room and scrambling two at a time down the stairs, and pushes her way through the taller folk in the common room with barely a muttered apology as she steps on feet, and knocks people, spilling not a few drinks in her haste. Once out on the street, she runs, turns a few corners and then finally realises that she's left without knowing how to get to the Dragon's Den, or whether her friends are even there.

inexorabletruth
2012-06-13, 09:52 AM
At the Dragon's Lair:
The half-elf looks a bit disappointed as she continues to fling drinks to clamoring guests. "A glass of juice, or sweetwater will be a copper!" She shouts back to Fimble. Then turning to Felix, she leans in so you can hear a bit better, "A Zombie is a house specialty! Three kinds of rum, brandy, and exotic juices from fruits that are imported all the way from the jungles of Chult! The name... well... I guess it's named that way because of the graveyard!" Then she rushes back to her duties.

In Oscar's Room:
Grim wraps his large fists around the tiny knife and fork, looking a bit like a bear performing a circus trick as he gingerly cuts into the meat and places it into his mouth. His eyes close for a moment as he savors the taste, then growls out an approving "MMmm" while he chews.

Giselda, a bit more demure, smiles at Fanter and thanks him as he serves the succulent meal. "Daddy was first relocated to Neverwinter to oversee the transition. Since he worked mainly as the guild's liaison during its formative years, it only made sense that he would serve that role again during its fresh start. That's when mother fell in love with this place. At the time, this inn was owned by someone else, and we stayed here as guests of the mayor. Mother is a talented businesswoman in her own right and always wanted to own an inn. So, when the rights to the guild were sold, daddy used his share of the profits to buy this place from the original owners. For many years thereafter, daddy still served as a spokesman for the guild, and the inn has always been a gathering place for wealthy merchants and young aristocrats. So, naturally this served as a convenient place to let investors know where to find bodyguards and the like for the next leg in whatever journey they were on at the moment."

@ Terlew, on the Quiet Streets of Neverwinter:
At first, you find several humming taverns with bright lights inside. Though it is quite dark, the night is still young for Neverwinter. However, as you turn a few corners, it doesn't take long for the neighborhood to look somewhat less inviting. Though there is no apparent threat, it is much more quiet here. Instead of giggling couples and groups of stumbling young revelers, you see smaller groups, more sparsely located, whispering amongst each other in private conversations, or glancing up at you and moving to a more shadowy spot, deeper into an alleyway.

Please roll Knowledge: Local to regain your bearings.
Also, please roll Spot and Listen checks.

Cloudsmeet
2012-06-13, 09:57 AM
Terlew wanders down the street, not quite sure where she is anymore.

Knowledge: Local[roll0] <- untrained, if that makes a difference, I can't remember
Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

Oh, unattentive trait, how I love you :smallbiggrin:

missmvicious
2012-06-13, 02:28 PM
"It is interesting. I wonder how they do that sound barrier." Gwen says to Fimble. Then she turns back to the elf and says "I think I'd like to try a Zombie. You like it right?"

Lexin
2012-06-13, 02:39 PM
"One zombie then, I need to try it!"

inexorabletruth
2012-06-14, 01:54 AM
On the Quiet Streets of Neverwinter:
You can recall the map from when you first came into town. The Dragon's Lair was a tourist site that was flagged as a point of interest for travelers. You aren't far from the main streets and could navigate back to the Dragon's Lair with relative ease.

At the Dragon's Lair:
The half-elf nods, "5 copper each."

missmvicious
2012-06-14, 02:26 AM
Gwen produces seven copper pieces from from a small embroidered bag and hands it to the elven woman. "Here you go." she says awaiting her drink excitedly. She turns back to the guys "Where do you guy's want to sit?" She then smiles coyly seeing Fimble's eyes fixated on the dancer "Or should I just assume as close to the stage as possible."

Lexin
2012-06-15, 02:55 AM
"Here you are!" says Felix giving 5 cp to the woman.

To Gwen: "I guess our friend knows well where he wants to sit." He says smirking.

"Later I would like to try these gambling tables... Monks weren't to fond of gambling..."

inexorabletruth
2012-06-15, 10:18 AM
At the Dragon's Lair:
Two Zombies go sliding across the bar to you in a frosty metal glass with a piece of pineapple jutting out the top.

missmvicious
2012-06-15, 01:56 PM
"Thanks" Gwen says to the bartender. She takes a little sip to test the zombie and decides she likes it. She then takes a much larger gulp of it enjoying the flavors. "Let's go see if we can find a table." She says to the guys heading towards the stage searching for a place for them to sit.

AshesOfOld
2012-06-16, 08:30 AM
Fimble accepts the offer of juice with a squeamish smile and follows Gwen through the crowd of large people to a table near the stage.

inexorabletruth
2012-06-16, 08:01 PM
At the Dragon's Lair:
As soon as you leave the immediate proximity of the bar, the music is suddenly at full volume again.

After you've all had a seat, a barmaid darts in beside you and taps the top of a polished white stone that lights up at her touch. As soon as she does so, the music dies down again to a dull thrum. "Hi, my name is Alia. If you need anything, just tap the rock. I'll be right over." With that, she smiles one last time and taps the rock again. The soft glow of its light dies out and the music returns to its normal volume.

Aside from the stone, the table is sparsely decorated, but the chairs are posh and comfortable. The dance appears to be coming to the climactic part. As the female dances, the two men dance on either side of her as if symbolically battling for her affections. From this closer vantage point, you can tell that she isn't entirely human, and possesses an otherworldly beauty that is difficult to place. Her eyes are impossibly large and dark. Her skin is unnaturally pale, but her lips are full. Her ears are difficult to see in the chaos of her movement, but her limbs appear to bend at nearly impossible angles, as if she were double jointed. Her build is slender, but there is no question of the strength of her muscles, based on the dance moves she is capable of performing. Her soft, wispy hair is seems to take on the color of whatever light flashes near it. The men appear to be half-elves and are also quite handsome. They are tall for their race and broad shouldered. They each have brown hair. One has a sharp angular chin capped with a tightly trimmed and goatee. The other has a soft chin that gives him a slightly feminine face.

On the Streets of Neverwinter:
"Hey! I was talking to you!" Snaps a man walking towards Terlew, about 50 feet behind her. "No need to be rude. I'm just trying to be friendly, is all."

missmvicious
2012-06-17, 02:09 AM
Gwen takes another large drink from her zombie, and is surprised its almost gone already. She taps the rock tentatively not used to that method of summoning the barmaid and then orders another zombie. She finishes the first one while watching the dancer wondering what race she is.

General Int Check
[roll0]
Fort save if I need it after just one zombie
[roll1]

Cloudsmeet
2012-06-17, 03:03 AM
On the quiet streets of Neverwinter:

Terlew turns, surprised. "You wanted to talk to me? I didn't hear you." she says, completely innocently. In the darkening light, her hand reaches for her spell component pouch surreptitiously.

OOC:
I assume she's still in relatively nasty parts of town?

Lexin
2012-06-17, 10:42 AM
"Now, lets try!" Says Felix as he tries the 'zombie'.

Assuming he is still conscious he focuses on the dance, hoping that what he sees isn't affected by alcohol... yet.

He also looks at Gwen from time to time... he is afraid that if she would drink too much he and Fimble would have some difficulties bringing her back...

Any immediate effects of 'Zombie'?

inexorabletruth
2012-06-17, 01:27 PM
The man walking up to you has a lopsided saunter... as if he's trying to look cool, but the booze just won't let him. He's shorter than the average man, and with your sensitive Gnomish nose, you can smell from here that he is beyond drunk. "That's better! Hey darlin'... why don' we go to this... party at my friends house. Free drinks. Food. He even hired a musician for the night." He grins as he catches up to you. "Yeah...." he breathes. "We'll have a good time."

At The Dragon's Lair:
The dance roars to a close with all three dances leaping into the air in unison and come slamming down on the stage in a dramatic crouch just as the drummers hammer their mallets down for one more resounding BOOM! The silence that follows seems somehow louder than the music that was playing earlier as it stifles the air around you. Then, with a shrill whistle from the flutes, all three dances darts their heads up to face the crowd, and another bright flash of light erupts onto the stage. The audience explodes into a frenzy of cheers. Then the dancers stand and begin collecting the coins that are tossed onto the stage, bowing graciously when they find a silver or gold piece. "Thank you! We are the Lightfeather Dance Group! We hope you enjoyed our show. We'll be performing throughout the night and for the remainder of this week," says the female dancer in a proper and elegant voice that sounds like she came from high breeding.

Cloudsmeet
2012-06-17, 01:52 PM
On the quiet streets of Neverwinter:Terlew sniffs delicately, trying to buy time to think about her response. "What makes you think I'd be interested in your friend's party, mister?"

I don't want to hurt him, but I don't want him to hurt me, either. Perhaps I should just make him sleep. No, he'll be mugged and lose all his possessions; he'll probably be lucky to wake up. No... I should take him somewhere safe. But where? Her mind races.

missmvicious
2012-06-18, 08:26 PM
Gwen tosses a couple of copper pieces to the stage and glances around looking for the barmaid with her drink. "That was quite the dance, wasn't it?" She shouts over the applause.

Jungian
2012-06-18, 10:34 PM
Oscar's lips tighten for a brief second, far to quickly for anyone to notice. I didn't travel on a wretched sea to serve as an errand boy or body guard.. Oscar slowly works his way through meal as he listen to Giselda praise her father. He gently lays his fork on his plate as he says, "Perhaps Fanter and I will visit the guild. Seeing as the one of the founders suggested it, it would be foolish to ignore advice of a man well versed in his trade, or previous trade. Plus compensation is always welcomed" He then slightly turns his head toward Giselda, "Your mother sounds like an incredibly lady. When a young lady feels pride for her parents accomplishments, it demonstrates that your parents are a positive influence. Though I believe in time you may will outshine your parents illustrious careers. As they say, apples don't fall from the tree."

Turning back to Grim, "What sort of work is posted their regularly? While Fanter is suited to body guard work, that is not my particular forte." Noting that the young lady's tea was running low, and desiring a refreshment of his own, Oscar says, "Fanter would you please refresh the lady's tea. As for myself, if you could prepare your special beverage. I believe it was whisky based concoction." He turns to Grim, "In addition to being a fabulous cook, Fanter is quite skilled at cocktail creation."

AshesOfOld
2012-06-19, 04:06 AM
Fimble stares at the dancers dumbfounded forgetting both to clap and to tip, responding to Gwen without taking his eyes off the female dancer.
"I've never seen the like! Granted, I've never seen a performance of this nature before. The only dances I've seen have been the local farmers at hay day. And they don't even begin to compare."
Fimble leans back in his chair and looks at the other two.
"Do you dance?"

inexorabletruth
2012-06-19, 05:30 PM
At the Dragon's Lair:
The waitress swings by with another Zombie for Gwen. "Can I get you boys anything?" She says with a playful smile as the cheers die out.

Ambient noise begins to fill the air as the dancers file off backstage. The next act begins to set up-- something that appears to be a group of musicians. In one corner a man stands up triumphantly as cheers fill that corner of the room. He pumps his arms into the air with a loud "HA!" while another patron, who sits across from where the standing man once stood, is rubbing his arm and looking quite ashamed of himself. On the other end of the room you hear someone guffaw as he finishes an anecdote, "So I says to him. Mate! That's not a woman. He's an elf! BWAHAHAHAHA!"

At a nearby table, a gnomish girl is staring timidly over at you.

The man grins and comes closer. "What makes you think you have a choice?"
You see a hand reach from behind you and wrap around your face, covering your mouth.

This is an Attempted Grapple:
1. No AoO (Flat-Footed)
2. Grab: [roll0]
3. Hold: [roll1]

But you can smell the body odor of the man sneaking up on you at the last second, giving just enough time to slip free from his grasp, leaving him snatching at thin air.

"Damn it Charlie, you clumsy bastard! Get her!" shouts the man you were previously talking to. The man who was behind you looks at you, dumbfounded at how you managed to escape.

In Oscar's Room:
Giselda blushes at the compliment and thanks Oscar softly. "Mister Fanter, you do seem to be quite a few talents. A brave warrior, a fastidious butler, expert chef, and now bartender. There should be more men such as you." Grim looks at his daughter with a wary eye. Then, he swallows another bite of his duck and washes it down with the drink Oscar made him. "Well..." he ponders the question for a moment. "I can't say I know, for sure. Lot's of caravans are heading north for Luskan this time of year. That would be the most likely bid. And there's always that forest. Every year, it seems, some foolhardy merchant wants to fund an expedition into those woods. The only way to know is to register there. They open at sunrise. I wish I could help you more, but I haven't been to the guild in a long time. What kind of adventures are you looking for? Perhaps I can put in a good word for you there."

Lexin
2012-06-19, 05:33 PM
To Fimble:
"I used to, in the past. In monastery there just wasn't any occasion, to do so."

Drinking + fort checks?
I am basing the rest of this post on result.
[roll0]
Edit: Wow.

Felix turns to the waitress and says:
"This zombie thing is quite good... for a juice that is... I guess I will take a pitcher of wine and one of water. That and 6 glasses of course 3 for wine and 3 for water. Fimble, I assume you can drink a little bit of wine, at least to tell me what you think about quality.
Ah, and don't worry my friends, I am paying.

Jungian
2012-06-19, 05:51 PM
Oscar leans in slightly as Grim begins relating the available jobs, ,A caravan...Dusty trails spewing whatever refuse people or animals left into my clothes....half-brained and toothed men who probably havent bathed since they were born. Absolutely not

Though at the mention of the Forrest, Oscar eyes glaze a bit. He had always like the woods, serene, peaceful and place of tranquility with a touch of savageness. He had often traveled through the woods near the Academy, in fact that is where he found Dorian. The sleek chick helpless in the leaf litter, whom now snoozes serenely in Oscar's room.

"A expedition into the woods sounds intriguing. Though the qualifying statements of yearly and foolish implies something inheritenly different than a sun soaked glen.

Knowledge nature roll, though it may be local
[roll0]
I always forget which way th slash goes when I'm posting from a phone. Crushed it:smallamused:

UpholderSSK
2012-06-20, 12:54 AM
In Oscar's Room,
Fanter smiles graciously as he sets Oscar's drink in front of him and gives a short, shallow bow over his arm to Giselda.

"You're too kind, miss, I'm sure. I've simply had a lot of time to practice, you see -- I'm a bit older than I look."

The half-elf favors Giselda with a complimentary nod.

"Though, given how courteous you are for a girl your age, I think you may be a bit more mature than you look, as well. Your father has clearly raised you well."

Fanter busies himself topping off Giselda and Grim's teacups as they discuss the Guild.

"Forgive me for intruding, sir, but I have run first-hand into the darker side of Neverwinter even in my short stay here. Do the local guardsmen ever call upon the clear talents of the Guild to help take care of more ... local problems, like thievery and organized crime? It seems like an obvious way for Neverwinter to call upon the aid of her finest sons and daughters."

AshesOfOld
2012-06-20, 06:49 AM
Fimble can't help but jump slightly at the sudden noises bouncing around him. A slight glint of sweat appears on his forehead, and the tiniest twitch flares across his eyes.
Still with a nervous twitter, he answers Felix's request:
"You don't? Tradition dictates that we dance every season in at Blackwing. The midsummer fest is particularly spectacular!"
Fimble holds up his hand in a dismissive gesture.
"We don't drink, however. Any substance that clouds the judgement is forbidden by threat of expulsion from the order. Unless no other means of survival are at hand.
So as long as they still serve juice, I'm afraid I'll have to leave the drinking to the two of you."
He finishes with a smile and raises his glass to meet the others'.
"Cheers!"

missmvicious
2012-06-20, 11:32 PM
"Then we'll simply have to have enough for you as well Fimble." Gwen says gaily clinking her glass against his and following it with a long drink. She looks down at her drink afterward and is surprised to see it half gone. "These go by to quickly." she murmurs to her glass, "perhaps I should be getting them in pairs..." She then presses the stone to summon the barmaid again.

inexorabletruth
2012-06-21, 07:31 AM
At the Dragon's Lair:
The waitress jots down some notes as Felix places his order, then looks over to Fimble, nods her head, and scribbles out some notes, then re-writes. Then, when Gwen presses the stone again, she raises an intercepting hand toward her and laughs disarmingly. "It's ok, miss. I'm already here. Two of them then? So, I've got one pitcher of wine with two glasses, one pitcher of water with three glasses, two Zombies, and a glass of juice?"

The next act is set up and begins playing a light and jaunty tune- a stark contrast to the heavy, aggressive rhythms of the previous dance group. The music is playing quietly enough for casual conversation to take the foreground.

A stumbling dwarf backs into your table nudging it a bit. "Pardon meself, miss," he slurs, punctuating his apology with a throaty belch. "I'll fix that right, for ye." He grabs the table and drags it back a few more inches, then slips loose and falls to the ground with a "Woops!". He sits there with a surprised expression on his face for a brief moment, then lets out a wheezy laugh. The barmaid frowns at the display and raises her hand, then points to the dwarf on the ground. "I'm sorry," she she offers to you as she continues to frown condescendingly at the dwarf. "I guess this one has had enough fun for one night."

In Oscar's Room:
Grim wipes his beard with his napkin and pauses for a moment, reflecting on Fanter's comment. "I'm sorry the city has given you a poor welcome. My daughter told me that you were robbed and assaulted. It is true that Neverwinter has a darker side. But crime will always be a blight in any society, especially one as large as Neverwinter. Some wealthier individuals may hire adventurers from time to perform guard duty, but adventurers rarely stick around long enough to serve as a form of police. Our night watchmen for the hotel is a former adventurer whom I'd hired as a temporary solution until I could find a full time guard. He ended up liking it here and stuck around, but that's obviously an atypical example."

The two men close in on you. "Don't bruise her up, Charlie. This one needs to stay fresh. Gnomes are worth more." Slowly the first man pulls out a cloth and a bottle from a pocket in his vest and stalks toward you. "Sorry, my dear. But we'd like you to meet someone."

Initiative
First man: [roll0]
Charlie: [roll1]
Roll initiative, please.

Cloudsmeet
2012-06-21, 11:46 AM
"I don't think you men really want to do this, do you. You're not just facing any gnome, you're facing the mighty necromancer, Terlew Fanhathol Whispergleam! I'm sure you've heard of me," Terlew says proudly. She then somehow produces a live cricket in her right hand from her components pouch, presents it to the two men and prepares to crush it between her fingers as part of her spell.
Initiative:[roll0]
If it's my turn, I cast Sleep on the closest of the two men, targeting the other should I have enough HD left to do so.
EDIT: Save DC is 15.

inexorabletruth
2012-06-22, 12:10 PM
Will Save: [roll0]
Will Save: [roll1]

Charlie looks at you with a blank expression and sways like a chopped tree about to fall. The first man shakes his head and scrunches his face, shaking off the sleepiness that has mysteriously come over him. As Charlie drops to his knees with a big thud, the first man looks over to him in amazement, then back to Terlew. Then Charlie falls face first into the cobblestone. That's enough for the first guy. He spins on his heels and runs like a ghost was chasing him, rebounding off a guard who was just turning the corner in to inspect the commotion going on in this street. "Hey you!" the guard shouts at the running man and charges after him, whistle blowing.

In Oscar's Room:
After scraping up the last bit of duck, Grim finishes his drink and pats his belly. "You make a fine meal, Fanter. Service that good is hard to come by. Oscar, Fanter, I wish you the best of luck in your ventures. As I said, if there is a particular type of work your looking for, let me know. I'd be happy to write you a letter of recommendation. Most adventurers these days lack refinement and dignity. They charge in with both fists raised, eager to blast a name for themselves, no matter how much destruction they leave in their wake. It's refreshing to meet a team that shows deference and a sense of respect for the world around them.

'But in the meantime, Giselda and I must be off. I must tend to my wife soon, and we have a long day ahead of us tomorrow." He rises to a stand and bows. "Thank you again for your hospitality."

Giselda also rises and curtsies. Then looking at the water clock, blanches a bit. "Master Arceneau it's been a pleasure to meet you. And Master Fanter, I do hope we might talk again sometime."

Cloudsmeet
2012-06-22, 12:36 PM
In the relative darkness of the street Terlew grins to herself, then sits down on the sleeping man's back. "I think that when you wake up, you and I are going to have a little talk," she tells him. "It's a pity I don't have a message spell ready... I could use some help here."

She considers a moment, then starts chanting. An armored skeletal figure assembles out of the dust blown by a sudden gust of wind, then at Terlew's direction first picks her up and places her on its shoulders, then begins to drag the sleeping man. Together they head back to the inn, ignoring the stares of any passers-by.

I cast Summon Undead I (SpC page 215)

Jungian
2012-06-22, 01:18 PM
As Grim stood from the table, Oscar gracefully rises from his chair and returns the bow. He then says, "Grim, I have had a wonderful evening with you and your lovely daughter. I would be devastated if Fanter and I did not have another opportunity to enjoy your company." Oscar then bows to Giaelda " The pleasure has been all mine, miss Giselda." He then sees them to the door and wishes them a goodnight. Once the door is closed and Oscar feels that it is safe to assume they are out of earshot he quietly says, "Fanter, are you aware of Sir Grim's wife condition? It truly is a tradegy... I have an idea, but it is dependent on several variables, skill, and a bit of good fortune. First and foremost, I must commend your culinary skills, Fanter. That was an excellent meal. Secondly...while I don't intend to pry, in the morning we need to locate the healer responsible for Grim's wife or at the least one familiar with her condition." He takes a moment to stroke his beard, straightening any stray hairs into a sharp point as his mind works through various scenarios.
"Fanter, how would you feel about a stroll through the woods?"

UpholderSSK
2012-06-22, 03:54 PM
In Oscar's Room
Fanter bows in response to the compliment and stands impassively at Oscar's side as his employer speaks. At the suggestion of a walk through woods dangerous enough to require "expeditions," Fanter seems as if Oscar has just asked for more tea.

"Of course, sir. I'll prepare your hiking shoes."

AshesOfOld
2012-06-22, 08:16 PM
"Woah, there!" Fimble utters, surprised at the dwarf's sudden and not-so-elegant performance.
"Don't worry about it." he spreads out his arms as he replies to the barmaid, "as my lovely friend here is implying, the evening has only just begun."
With that Fimble rises from the table and extends a hand to the dwarf.
"Hello my good dwarf! Why don't you join me and my friends for a drink? Or maybe, even better, a sip of water? By the look of your walk, you could be dehydrated! I am Fimble, by the way, and these are my friends, Gwen and Felix."

inexorabletruth
2012-06-25, 08:48 AM
People give you a wide berth on the way back to the Inn. As the guard opens the door to let you in, he blanches at the site of your new companions.

"I'm sorry sir- madam!... for my... un-form-al-ness earlier. I- uh- I didn't recognize you." He bows low and steps back. "Oh gods," he whispers under his breath. "Forgive me... uh... madam!" After backing away a respectable distance, he stands perfectly still, bent over in that same unnecessarily low bow. As you head to the stair you pass by a woman, beautiful except for a bit gaunt and deathly pale. She flits away from you like smoke on a breeze as you come near.

At the Dragon's Lair:
A large man grabs the dwarf by the shoulder gruffly and picks him the way you'd hoist a sack of grain. "Alright, you! Time to take a walk." The dwarf, still giggling doesn't put up much resistance, but utters a few dwarvish insults at the bouncer. The waitress vanishes and returns with your drinks and leans over to Fimble. "Your juice has been paid for by the lady at the table over there." She gives a subtle nod to the aforementioned Gnomish girl who smiles at you and blushes a bit before looking back to the conversation of her own group. Then the waitress scurries away, off to serve another table.

The night's music and festivities restore a bit of cheer to you as the band plays a tavern favorite (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgsVd4-wH_A).

missmvicious
2012-06-25, 12:48 PM
Gwen finishes her second drink and accepts her next two zombies. "Looks like you have an admirer Fimble." She winks, "Are you gonna go talk to her?"

Fort Save
[roll0]

Lexin
2012-06-25, 01:06 PM
Felix smiles and says "Fimble got a fan. Go get her!... Or at least talk to her..." he says and laughs.

He also starts looking with slight anxiety on Gwen, it seems the zombie hit her harder than him... I hope we won't have to carry her back...

AshesOfOld
2012-06-26, 02:17 AM
Fimble stares dumbly at his drink then at the gnomish girl and finally at Gwen and Felix.
"Admirer? I don't... Oh! No, I couldn't possibly, I mean, I don't know the lady. Although... we are encouraged to get to know how the world works.
So is this how boys meet girls?"
Fimble throws a smile back to the gnomish girl before continuing. "What should I do? Does the girl always buy the boy a drink? Should I refund her?"

inexorabletruth
2012-06-26, 08:52 AM
At the Dragon's Lair:
The girl brightens visibly at Fimble's return smile, but the group at the table with the Gnomish girl finishes paying their tab and gets up to leave. The Gnome begins to protest while the rest petition her to come with them. "Come on Loopy! It's time to go. We're heading to Luskan tomorrow with the caravan, and I'm pretty sure Oskar just got thrown out," argues the tallest one of the group, a powerful looking female with short, brightly colored hair. The Gnome stammers and glances back at your table, "But I- I just..." The tall woman makes an unconvinced expression, like a parent listening to an ill-conceived lie from her child. "Loopy. This is our first mission, and I want us all to be there on time. We'll come back to the Dragon's Lair on the return trip, okay?"

Gwen begins to look a little wobbly.

Lexin
2012-06-26, 09:20 AM
"Too late to buy her a drink now Fimble. You will worry about your relationship problems tomorrow, you could ... by chance... check the caravan to Luskan tomorrow. We could even get along with them. You would have some time to talk to your girlfriend, I would get a chance to meet my father, Gwen would probably tag along... Gwen?
... We could have a small problem here Fimble..."
Says Felix pointing at Gwen.
"Don't you think it is time to go now Gwen?" he asks with a smile (like to a child).

missmvicious
2012-06-26, 07:58 PM
Sounding a little slurred she says "No I don't think its time to go yet." she shakes her head and smiles. "I have two more zombies right here and I am to finish them." She holds up two fingers and smiles happily. "Though we should ask them if they are looking for a little extra help, then you can flirt all you want on the way to Luskan."

AshesOfOld
2012-06-27, 04:06 AM
Fimble takes a second to think about it, then jumps off after the other group. "Just stay for a moment, I'll be right back."
He approaches the gnome girl:
"Hello! I'm Luskan. I mean! I am... uhm. I overheard you and heard that you were going to Luskan. And that sounds interesting." Fimble's brain takes a second to smash itself in the face with a hooked hammer, before he blushingly tries again.
"I mean, I'm Fimble. And I'm pleased to meet you."

missmvicious
2012-06-27, 11:00 AM
Gwen giggles a little watching her friend trying to talk to the gnomish girl and starts in on her third zombie.

inexorabletruth
2012-06-28, 09:13 AM
The Gnomish girl resists the tall woman's tug when Fimble introduces himself.

"Hello... I'm Loopmottin. My friends call me Loopy," She says with a breathy voice. By Gnomish standards, she's fairly attractive, with a deep bronze tan and eyes so richly blue they almost appear purple. Her long, blond hair is pulled back just behind her pierced ears by a dark purple ribbon, though the odd curly lock has sprung free of its place from the evening's activity. A dazzling amethyst and silver necklace dangles from her neck. She is wearing a small tan bodice with silver patterns over a white blouse and flowing, dark blue skirt. She smells like heady, floral perfumes and a hint of wine.

As you two take a moment to introduce each other, the tall woman stops tugging and puts her right hand on her hip. She suffers through the long silence and then finally blurts. "Well, Luskan Fimble... either ask her to dance or leave us be!" She sighs heavily and gives Fimble a stern expression. Loopy glances up at the taller woman and then back to Fimble and bites her lip, this time obviously a bit embarrassed.

AshesOfOld
2012-06-29, 06:03 AM
Quite out of his waters, Fimble is at a loss of words. Ice that only becomes harder to break as the seconds pass.
The tall woman scolding him does little to help his tongue move.
"I...I, w-well, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..."
Fimble's face and ears flush a deep red and he quickly lowers his head in a wain attempt to hide it.
"I'm sorry. I'll just go again." With a pang of hurt and regret in his voice, Fimble blurts out "Your name is very pretty, miss." before skulking back to his table.

Lexin
2012-06-29, 06:22 AM
Felix watched the whole scene from the distance. When Fimble turned to come back to the table, Felix jumped to him, pushed him lightly, so he faces the gnome girl again, and said.

"He wanted to say, he would love to dance!"

Little push to the back, so he is closer to Loopy and whisper.

"At least try. Are you a man or...?"

After that, he borrows the 'silence stone' from another table ("Excuse me, it won't take long...") and asks the waitress to pour only alcohol- free 'zombies' for Gwen ("And do your offer include... help in getting back home?")

After that he goes back to the table feeling somehow proud of himself. :smallcool:

inexorabletruth
2012-06-30, 08:02 AM
Gordid's Room:
The drink is warming and very satisfying, but years of pounding stern dwarven drink have given you a special resistance to alcohol's effects. Still, as you lick the last few drops of the savory drink from your beard, you can't help but acknowledge the brew's quality.

Near Terlew's Room:
The skeleton begins to shake and rattle just as you make it to the stairs. Then the telltale smoke begins to gather at it's feet. Then, as quickly as it appears, it collapses in a cascade of bones that shatter into dust as soon as they hit the ground. All that remain of it is the image of screaming faces crying silently amongst the tendrils of smoke that scatter when Charlie drops to the ground with a solid whump! sound. He begins to stir and look up at you. He blinks his eyes amidst the dust. "What?" he gasps.

At the Dragon's Lair:
Loopy sighs and begins to follow the taller woman's lead to the door until Fimble comes stumbling back towards her as if pushed. She looks to Fimble, then to Felix, then to her leader, who just sighs heavily and turns to Felix with a scowl. Then, never taking her eyes off of Felix, she gives Loopy some final instructions. "Be back at Matilda's in no more than one hour. If you oversleep again, then so help me, I'll leave you behind this time." Then, with indignant strides, she stomps off for the door.

When the waitress shows up to receive Felix's new order she looks over to Gwen who seems pretty far gone and nods her agreement to his request. Then, after hearing his final question, she straightens up a bit. "Sir... I'll have you know that even though I may work in a tavern, I am still a lady." She stomps off to fill your order, muttering something about adventurers thinking they're gods' gift to women.

The night carries on. Fimble and Loopy enjoy a few dances, then settle in for drinks and awkward conversation. Gwen accidently scores a few copper pieces for her "performance" on the table, and Felix enjoys the night with many drunken revelers who view him as the group's leader (and therefore want to get in good with a man of importance). As the night draws to a wane, Loopy suddenly notices the time and excuses herself. A little flustered from the wine she has lost some of her grace, so Fimble escorts her back to Matilda's Bed and Breakfast.

Fimble: You gain +2 Knowledge: Geography to remembering the layout of Neverwinter

Gwen: You gain [roll0] copper and a small handful of admirers.

Felix: You gain +2 to Diplomacy in Neverwinter.

Dragging a very dizzy Paladin of Freedom with you, you slowly manage to make it back to the Inn.

missmvicious
2012-06-30, 08:16 PM
A very wasted Gwen utters a few protests as her comrades lead her back to The Quite Knight a few bits of her slurred words come across as "Nah, I'm fine, I haven't had to much." and "But I don't wanna those guys were really nice." and "Common its soooo early." But despite those she follows Fimble and Felix pretty easily. A more sobered Gwen would have been glad it was they taking her home to her bed then a stranger to theirs. http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/1527/drunkharuhizk13334835.jpg

Jungian
2012-06-30, 09:08 PM
Oscar's Room
Oscar stole a look at the clock, and seeing the late hour decided to retire. "I am retiring for the evening Fanter." As a yawn overtakes Oscar, he quickly stifles it and says "it has been a rather exhausting day. Wake me one hour pass sunrise, with my customary tea please. Whatever blend you decide will surely be refreshing. Good night Fanter, today you were esquiste, and I expect the same tomorrow." After removing his daywear, and slipping into his evening gown. Oscar slides into between the supple sheets, and with a final "Good night Dorian, he softly falls asleep.

Oscar's dreams
In the middle of the night, Oscar face frowns and he begins to lightly thrash in the sheets. As unwanted dreams descended on the defenseless Oscar,
a small sad grey dove is in cage with filthy black crows. The larger crows bully the dove around the cage. Each strike with their wings and talons paints a black streak on the young dove. He manages to escape, but a disembodied Hand captures the dove with a gold coin in its beak and forces him back into the cage, After many cycles,the dove is just as black and and filthy as the crows.
With a small start he awakes, and he drifts back off to sleep with a single thought on his mind, the boy

inexorabletruth
2012-07-01, 10:19 AM
The night's rest has done you some good, and you awaken refreshed and ready for a new day. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RM7cQCC4sU)

Gwen, roll a Fort Save vs. Poison to avoid being hungover.

Oscar finds a note under his door.

Lexin
2012-07-01, 10:41 AM
Felix wakes early (around 7 am) , he had great time yesterday and had nice dreams even though he didn't sleep long. He goes downstairs and tries to get some food.
"Hello there, I would like a human-size breakfast and some water to it. Also do you perhaps have some 'traditional recipe' for hangover? I think my friend would need something like that."

Jungian
2012-07-01, 11:05 AM
Upholder, DM
I'm going to have Fanter wake me up, served my tea, and given me the note. If it is a bit much, I'll edit the post a bit.

Oscar awoke to a beautiful morning. While the sun's light was blocked by the heavy curtains, the gentle warmth was able to creep though into the room. He strolls out to the main sitting room, and finds Fanter pouring his tea into a pleasant cup. As Fanter sets the tea in front of Oscar and says, "Good morning sir, I've prepared a green tea infused with jasmine. Also there was a note addressed to you sir"

As Oscar samples the tea,and accepts the note he says," Ah thank you Fanter" He enjoys one more sip before opening the note.

missmvicious
2012-07-02, 01:03 AM
Gwen is enjoying some rest until someone feels the need to wake her up. She lays sprawled out in her bed unconscious of the fact she is quite dehydrated.

inexorabletruth
2012-07-02, 09:50 AM
Felix:
Grim is bustling about in a comically dated suit with frayed edges. The lobby is bursting with busy merchants checking out and gathering their families or fellow businessmen for the trip out. Some are gathering at tables and discussing business over a full plate of breakfast sausages, warm biscuits, eggs and large juicy slices of fruit.

Through the dizzying excitement a frail looking waiter with a pompous expression and a finely trimmed mustache catches your request and hastily replies, "Certainly, sir. Please let me show you to a chair, and I'll show you our menu, sir."

He pulls out a chair and holds it for you while you make yourself comfortable, then pours water into a small decorative wooden cup, and the pulls the tea mug and a fancy goblet from your table. He hastily lights a small white candle in the middle of your table and hands you a menu. "I'll return shortly, sir."

Breakfast: (Half Portions available at Half-Price)

Spiced White Oats with Fruit 1 sp
Sausage with Toast (or biscuits) and Eggs 3 sp
Bacon-Wrapped, Glazed Ham with a side of Broze 3 sp
Ham and eggs with toast (or biscuits) fruit and cakes 5 sp

As quickly as he popped into the kitchen, he popped right back out holding a massive silver tray, which he brings to another table at which a large family is sitting. After setting out the meal he promptly dispatches the tray and wisps over toward your table. "Have you decided, sir? The sausage and biscuits are quite popular today. Though if you have the appetite, the Ham and Broze are quite hearty, as is the Ham and Eggs. The side of cakes that come with the ham and eggs are especially delicious."

Oscar and Fanter:
You open the letter. The writing is heavy, but neat, with almost mechanically straight lines.

"Thank you for a pleasant dinner. You'll find a package outside your door. It contains my suit. Thank you again, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay."

-Grim

Gwen:
Ambient noise makes it a bit difficult to get any real rest. People are starting to file out of their rooms. Children are charging down the hallway giggling as their parents yell at them to wait up, as other patrons protest with a "What's this?!" as the children ricochet off of them.

Terlew:
You awaken to find that Charlie is gone.

Lexin
2012-07-02, 10:30 AM
"Hmm, I think I will take sausage and biscuits. And if it is not a problem some packed sandwiches for later..."

Felix pays for the meal and eats with a wide smile on his face.

After that:

"Now, I would like a jug of water and some hangover remedy if you have something like that. That and a tray, I need to rescue a friend."

missmvicious
2012-07-02, 01:50 PM
Gwen rolls over a bit and pulls a blanket or pillow over her head and groans. This attempt at blocking out the world seems to fail her and she slow works her way to sitting up, her hair hanging limply in her face and she rubs her eyes.

AshesOfOld
2012-07-02, 04:48 PM
After a surprisingly happy evening, Fimble went to bed with a smile on his face, and a feeling in his stomach that he had begun on something good this first evening in Neverwinter.

Fimble tumbles out of bed, dripping with sweat, and legs wrapped completely in his sheets. In panic he tries to kick them off, only entangling himself further, before finally waking and realizing his whereabouts. He takes a long deep breath and then works the sheets off with ease, before getting up and shaking his head clear of the bad dreams still racing around behind his eyes.

"Wuh... You're a paladin, Noodle. You're not supposed to be afraid."

His thought flimmer to the young gnomish girl from last night, before dropping to the floor and doing a few push-ups.
He finally washes his face, dresses and goes down to join the others for a spot of breakfast, a pang of worry in his gut.

Jungian
2012-07-02, 08:31 PM
After a sip of tea Oscar says, "Fanter please fetch the package at the door, it is Sir Grim's suit. After that I would like you to obtain the identity of the healer that sees to his wife." He then begins to peruse through his spellbook, in preparation for the day's venture. As an afterthought he says, "If you happen upon Ms. Terlew, please inform her that I request her presence. If she is resistant to the idea, tell her that that my proposition may be of benefit to her...branch of arcane study." He then sips his tea quietly as he flips through his spellbook.

Cloudsmeet
2012-07-02, 08:48 PM
Terlew wakes up slowly, drowsily - much like the previous night, in fact. She'd slept surprisingly well, the events of the previous night must have drained her more than she realised. Wait a minute, she thinks to herself. Didn't I bring someone up with me? One of those men who attacked me? Oh, Baravar's beard, where is he!? Noting that there's nobody in the room, while she clearly remembers leaving him on the floor, Terlew sits on her bed chewing her nails for a number of minutes in a mild panic.

----------------------------------------

Later, she recieves a message from Oscar, and hums with interest, last night's predicament nearly forgotten already despite the fact that it's almost certain to bite her in the back at a later date. "What sort of ritual?" she asks, popping her head completely uninvited into Oscar's room.

inexorabletruth
2012-07-05, 06:25 AM
Felix:
"Of course, sir." The waiter hands you a small mint-scented drink that he'd brought with your meal. "It's brandy and peppermint, sir. A common remedy in this region. Is your friend a guest here in the hotel? I can have it brought to him. Or would you prefer something more portable?"

Lexin
2012-07-05, 06:46 AM
'My friend is a guest here... but maybe it is better if I bring the cure, less chance for someone getting hurt, I guess... I wouldn't mind more portable though, I am a bit clumsy and would prefer not to spill anything..."

inexorabletruth
2012-07-05, 10:12 AM
"Yes, sir." He bows stiffly and scurries back into the kitchen, then after a few short moments, glides back out with a rose colored vial. "Your remedy, sir. The cost is 1 sp. I can add have it added to your tab when you check out, or you can pay it now."

Lexin
2012-07-05, 10:26 AM
"No, it is not a problem, here you are."

Paid 4 sp (breakfast and remedy)

After finishing breakfast Felix takes the remedy to Gwen.

[In quiet voice] "Hello Gwen, I've got something that could help you with... light and sound sensitivity..."

missmvicious
2012-07-05, 01:14 PM
The world still seeming quite groggy Gwen first thinks that she is imagining the voice talking quietly to her then realizes that its not in her head. She makes a face not unlike this
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kue6w8WPke1qzcisgo1_400.jpg
processing what has been said. After a moment she has roughly put together Felix is at her door and she had to much to drink. She calls "Come in" her voice a little raspy from the dehydration.

AshesOfOld
2012-07-05, 04:16 PM
Fimble sits quietly at the inn, unsure of himself and of what to do, and as usual a little fidgety. While nibbling at his breakfast, he suddenly looks up as if something has clicked in his brain. Like something has been decided.

Lexin
2012-07-05, 05:08 PM
[Felix]

Felix enters the room as quietly as he can (halflings are good at it... but Felix has some issues with gravitation...) carrying water and the remedy,
He takes a glass, fills it with water at first and gives to Gwen.
"Here, you need it..."
After she drinks he pours the remedy to the glass
"... and this should help you..."

[Fimble]
The 'click in the brain' was followed by many others and quickly, supported by coffee, his brain started working and connecting information.
Luskan, it is the answer. First Felix parents, then Loopy... how many signs do we have to go there? I need to tell the others, the trade caravans set off early after all...
He finished his breakfast quickly and hurried to find others. First he tried Felix's room, but there was nobody there, so he went to the Gwen's room and started knocking (banging) on the door...

missmvicious
2012-07-06, 01:24 PM
"Thanks" Gwen drinks the whole glass of water quickly and still feels thirsty, though not so much that she doesn't give an unsure eye to the remedy that Felix is offering. She takes the glass and sniffs it a little before giving it a sip. She enjoys the peppermint flavor and drinks it easily. "That did settle my stomach some."

[roll0]
Yay pwn'd that fort save

inexorabletruth
2012-07-06, 03:14 PM
The soothing tonic settles your stomach some and the heavy thrumming in your head dissipates. You still aren't feeling top shelf, but the agony, at least is gone.

UpholderSSK
2012-07-07, 10:23 AM
Fanter slides into the room behind Terlew, looking a tiny bit annoyed at the small slip of propriety. Still, better late than never to announce a guest.

"Sir, Miss Whispergleam, as you requested. May I get you anything else?"

Jungian
2012-07-07, 06:13 PM
Oscar stands, "Ah Ms.whispergleam, a good morning." He offers her a chair, "Now I think their has been a slight miscommunication, but we can resolve that quickly Would you perhaps like a piece of fruit?" He turns to Fanter, "The name of the individual we discussed."

As he retakes his seat across from Terle, his fingers gently tap the table as hr says, "Are you familiar with the Forrest near here?"

Lexin
2012-07-09, 08:54 AM
[Felix]
"You look better already, Gwen." he says and stands up to open the door, to let Fimble in.

[Fimble]
Fimble gets inside... and stops for a while when he sees Gwen.
Wow, it is good I didn't try alcohol last night if it could end up like that... although Felix looks fine...
Then he remembers why he came here...
"Hello my friends. Do you remember, that last night we talked about joining the trade caravan to Luskan? If you still want to go, now is a good time to set off. Also, do we take anyone else with us? If you want to go, that is..."
He stops talking and waits for the answer with hopeful look on his face.

[Felix]
"Nothing against... I could meet my parents, I guess... Gwen? What do you think about this?"

Cloudsmeet
2012-07-09, 11:04 AM
"The forest, you ask?" Terlew ponders the idea for a moment. "Well, you might say that I understand what a forest is, and you might say that I understand that there is a forest there, but I don't, and I mean to at some point fix this, I don't yet know every nook and cranny of it, no.

As she talks, she moves further into the room, running her hand along a table here, fingering the edge of the blanket there, and generally looking woefully disappointed at the contrast between her room and Oscar's. She finishes her musing with a loud sigh.

missmvicious
2012-07-09, 12:32 PM
"Luskan might not be bad." Gwen says "Hoping to little gnome action."

Jungian
2012-07-10, 12:26 PM
"Ah well then a delightful opportunity has presented itself," with a smile Oscar says, "We were planning on a trip to the Forrest later today, would you perhaps be interested in joining? Consider it a expedition of knowledge."

Sorry for the delay been hosting some guest.

missmvicious
2012-07-10, 10:38 PM
"I think I am ready to get going if you are." Gwen says standing, her head a little woozy but over all not so bad. She picks up her stuff and starts heading towards the door.

inexorabletruth
2012-07-10, 11:12 PM
Felix, Fimble, and Gwen make it over to Oscar and Fanter's room, where Terlew is engaging in some scholarly conversation.

missmvicious
2012-07-11, 08:23 PM
"How was your quite night in?" Gwen asks the rest of the party, a smile on her face but her hand still holding her head.

Cloudsmeet
2012-07-12, 08:34 AM
Terlew sees Gwen and remembers the absolute injustice of the night before.

"You, you, you guys just LEFT me here and then I came out after you and got lostandIgotattackedandhadtomakeaskeletonbutthenIgo tsleepyandhegotawaybecausethepillowsweresosoft and... and..." Terlew suddenly realises what she just said and blushes for a second before trying to get back to her point. "What I MEAN is, you shouldn't have gone to the dragon's den without me! Now I'll never get to know how cool it is because nothing's fun without other people there and... was it cool? How was it? Was there anything interesting?"

Her mid-sentence topic changes and tiny attention span never ceases to amaze.

missmvicious
2012-07-12, 11:00 AM
"Relax, we we're told you were sleeping. We can always go again. It did have some pretty fascinating live acts." Gwen says clapping Terlew on the back.

Croverus
2012-07-12, 03:33 PM
Gordid bursts forth from his room and groans loudly as he stetches out, cracking several joints as obscenely as he can. He goes down the hall to find the others, burping loudly and scratching his rump as he spots them.

"Ulp... Mornin everyone..." Pasuses as he hears Terlew's rant. "Wasit about dragon dens? If ye been havin fun behind muh back, well... that just aint right. So, we gonna go slay us a ragon then? I'm game"

OOC: Forgot what color my text was, too lazy to look back. It is now Slate Gray

Lexin
2012-07-13, 09:35 AM
[Felix]
"Yes, the Dragon's Lair was great. All the drinks, the juices, the shows... just great. And the people that spend their time there are great too. You should come with us when we go there again."

[Fimble]
"We didn't slay any dragons Gordid... although Gwen fought few 'zombies'...
Now to other matters, it is to all of you. I know we just got here, but it would be boring to just stay here, doing nothing... and we could earn some money or... looking at Gordid again ...get a chance to fight some bandits. What do you guys think about catching the trade caravan to Luskan? They would pay for protection and we could travel a bit too."

Cloudsmeet
2012-07-13, 10:04 AM
"Oh, but we were looking at going to... where were we going again and why, Oscar?"

A thought occurs to her. "Oh, and we should probably do something about the thugs that jumped me last night. I did tell you guys about that, right?"

missmvicious
2012-07-16, 02:29 PM
"You got jumped?" Gwen asks shocked.

Jungian
2012-07-17, 06:09 PM
Oscar had been enjoying a discussion with Terlew, as the rest of the gang meandered into his room. Of course everyone, please come in...., though he was able to put on a smile, "Ah good morning to you all. It must have been an enjoyable evening, when I retired for the evening I don't believe I heard any of you." Terlew raises the question as to why they would go to the forrest, followed tangentially by the her experience the night prior. Oscar nerves needed a break, with a small gesture to the table he says, "Would you care to join us for some tea? The discussion about the Forrest deserves a nice beverage and relaxed atmosphere."

Croverus

Oscar is actually darkslategray, I thought gordid was a dark blue?

Croverus
2012-07-21, 02:51 AM
Went back and realized it was BOLD dark red.

Gordid waved a hand to pass on the offer of tea. He never liked tea. had more than enough of it at the monastery. He went out into the hall to not be intruding on Oscar's room. "Ahm headin' down to see which way the forest be then. Maybe ask around 'nout yer thugs too, Terlew." Without waiting for a reply he heads downstairs and begins asking people about the forest as well as any small thug groups that have been active.

Gather Information
1 roll for asking about the forest, and one for asking about the thugs
[roll0]
[roll1]

inexorabletruth
2012-07-25, 11:47 AM
You all head out to the lobby, where you see Gordid chatting up some merchants by the door. He continues his conversation for about a half an hour, then joins up with the rest of the group.

AshesOfOld
2012-07-25, 04:21 PM
Fimble greets Gordid with a smile and a wave when he returns to the inn.

"Hey Gordid! Did you find out anything interesting about Terlew's assaulters? It would be good if we had something to bring to the authorities before we leave."

inexorabletruth
2012-07-27, 11:36 AM
POSTING FOR GORDID:
"Well, the townsfolk be fairly tight-lipped about th' thugs in town. Seems all th' townies are either scared er beholdin' to 'em." Gordid snorts angrily at the thought.

"Still, I learnt a thing er two about th' forest though. Seems it's guarded by druids. It's a fairly short walk from th' front gate, but nobody dares go there. Tends to be a one way trip for greedy merchants an' curious poachers. Invitation only. If th' tree-lovers want you in, ye get yer safe passage. Otherwise, yer lucky to come out alive."

Croverus
2012-07-27, 09:25 PM
((OOC: Apologies, for some reason my subscriptions were deleted :smallconfused: But that is almost exactly what I would have said... So leave it as is.))

AshesOfOld
2012-07-28, 10:18 AM
"Well, that settles it for my part. I see no reason to aggravate these druids at their home."

Fimble looks around at the others to gauge their impressions.

"So are we in agreement on joining the merchants for Luskan?"

Croverus
2012-07-28, 10:43 AM
"Aye. Perhaps we'll be gettin' ta fight off bandits or scavengin monsters." He chuckles, patting his meaty fist into his open palm.

Lexin
2012-07-28, 12:25 PM
"Bandits? Monsters?... We have an optimist in our group. Still better than the druids... To Luskan!"

Jungian
2012-07-30, 11:52 AM
Oscar's nose twitched at the adventurous calls of adventure from some of his traveling companions. When Oscar had suggested a democratic approach to deciding their next destination, he never anticipated that his idea would fail to garner votes. Beasts of burden with that smell, inescapable dust, and an unforgiving sun. Fabulous adventure indeed... A short discussion with Fanter served to alleviate some of Oscar's worries, as the courtesy butler quickly agreed to remain behind. Fanter would finish the suit and would gather some information on the Woods, while Oscar would accompany the others on the caravan.

With a note of weariness the impeccable Oscar says to the gathered group, "Right to Luskan...When exactly are we departing?"

Cloudsmeet
2012-07-30, 01:55 PM
Terlew counts on her fingers, mumbling to herself something like this: "Forest... Luskan's a long way... pretty things... nasty men... what to choose!" She nearly yells the last bit in frustration before looking around and realising that the decision's already been made.

"Oh. Luskan it is then! And you know, Oscar, I always wanted to be a butler when I grew up, so maybe I can fill in for Fanter! Or did I want to be an oxherd, I always get the two confused..." She begins mumbling to herself again, obviously in deep, if irrelevant, thought.

inexorabletruth
2012-07-30, 09:19 PM
You make it to the gates of Neverwinter.

Spirits are high as merchants rally their mercenaries around their caravans. The guards are there, as well, making sure everything is orderly. You can see the group from the night prior as well, with the tall woman barking orders at her small group, who don't seem to share her level of intensity.

The wealthier merchants seem to already have bodyguards, but some of the more simple merchants are already bartering with the wealthier merchants for the right to travel with their caravans.

AshesOfOld
2012-07-31, 06:52 AM
Fimble looks around, trying to spot a merchant without a violent-looking entourage.
Once spotted, he approaches the merchant with a confident gait and smile.
"Hello. Erm, down here! Hello. Are you headed for Luskan? If you're in need of protection, then its your lucky day. I am Fimble Scrimnoodle, paladin of Blackwing. Me and my comrades are strong and able, and more than capable of protecting both you and your goods from danger. So what say you?"

Fimble hopes a direct and confident approach will do, and besides, he can't tell a lie.
Diplomacy [roll0]

Croverus
2012-07-31, 11:34 AM
Gordid flicks his thumb across his nose and then runs it along the blade of his axe, leaning against a cart and watching Fimble negotiate. He looked around sizing up other warriors, taking notice to those that might be good to get to know.

Spot check to get a good look around at other guards. [roll0]

inexorabletruth
2012-08-01, 01:33 PM
Fimble:
You see a wiry old merchant fussing over a pack mule, tightening loose straps, and checking reigns. Upon your greeting the merchant stiffens and twitches his ears. With the merchants head peering over the pack mule, you can see very little of the merchant except for a red, bulbous poking out under the brim of a large, grey, wide-brimmed hat.

"Wassat? Mercenaries? Yer' no guild boy, are you."

The merchant goes back to fussing with the reigns. "Yer either really famous, er really stupid t' be off'rin yer services in broad daylight without th' guild's permission. Either way, what good are ya' t'me?"

After a firm jerk on another latch, the merchant sighs and pauses for a second. "Who's yer comrades, then? 'Sit that dwarf what's pickin his nose?"

Gordid:
The guards seem kind of bored, as they watch the assemblage, making sure that everything stays peaceful.

Roll Sense Motive to size people up. See Complete Adventurer, pg. 102 for details.

Croverus
2012-08-01, 02:00 PM
Sense motive to size up the other guards and mercenaries [roll0]
Edit: Now that's a beautiful sense motive roll.

Jungian
2012-08-02, 12:26 PM
Oscar had been pleasantly surprised at Fimble's initiative, and decided that no assistance was necessary. Hoisting Dorian's cage, Oscar wanders toward Gordid. With a huff Oscar gentle places his feathered friend on the ground. He eyes Gordid for a moment before saying, "What do you think? Anyone seem to be a veteran of these affairs?"

Croverus
2012-08-02, 01:07 PM
Gordid nods and tilts his head to a man in a helmet who seems to hold himself better than some of the other mercenacries. "He's a field marshall, seems ta know his way with a blade, ye can tell by how he holds hisself. And o'er there," Gorded motions to an imposing Dwarf and a short human both wearing the blue and gold garb of the Adventurer's Guild, "they be lookin' ta be someone of importance. Guild men for sure. Aye might be thinkin' of seein' if they be hirin'." He nods, running a hand over his own beard which is kept in a single scraggly braid. He realizes this and pauses, taking a seat to try and make his beard look more presentable.

Should I even roll anything for that? I'm assuming I'm going to take several minutes to straighten and rebrad my beard and it's just going to be made into a number of short braids, like so: Blackbeard (http://images.wikia.com/pirates/images/5/53/Blackbeard_-_On_Stranger_Tides.jpg)

missmvicious
2012-08-02, 01:36 PM
Gwen standing with Oscar and Gordid nods gently listening to Gordid's theory about the more experienced mercenary. She frowns a bit, "I wonder how much we'll be able to get for this trip. I'm gonna go see if Fimble needs a hand getting us some work."

AshesOfOld
2012-08-02, 04:49 PM
Not really used to bartering, Fimble stumbles on the first sentence.
"Well, er, there must certainly be... advantages with hiring out of the guild. We don't pay them commission, so naturally we'd be cheaper."
Fimble then starts the introduction of the crew.
"Yes, the dwarf is good at many things besides the picking of noses. Especially handy with an axe, and not the wood-chopping kind.

Myself and the lovely lady with the trident coming this way, are both paladins and more stalwart companions you would have to search far for.

The well-dressed couple over there are practicers of the arcane, and more than just cantrips I might add!

Together we form a most formidable fighting force, one that would be well worth your money, should you choose to purchase our unique skill set.

Oh and the wizard over there also sews."

Lexin
2012-08-02, 05:09 PM
Felix approaches close, somehow irritated that he wasn't introduced.
He says in a quiet voice and smile on his face.
"And me, Felix Lynn, of the Waterdeep Lynns, monk of Kramshaw Monastery. Lately even an ogre was so stunned after seeing my abilities that guard had no troubles arresting him. I assure you, we don't bring trouble... we mostly get rid of it."

missmvicious
2012-08-03, 01:56 PM
Sense Motive!
[roll0]
Spot
[roll1]

Gwen smiles and at the trader Fimble is talking to then scans the crowd looking for anyone that looks more desperate then for the aid of protection. Perhaps someone that looks especially unable to handle themselves in a fight or is trying to barter for protection still.

inexorabletruth
2012-08-05, 03:17 PM
Felix and Fimble:
The merchant smirks a bit when the monk arrives, as if stifling a chuckle.

"Six o' ya. Most o' ya' short 'n slow." The merchant ducks under the neck of the horse and comes around to the other side. You can see by the merchant's gait, that she's a haggard old wench, with mottled and leathery skin that is wrinkled and sun dried, yet she doesn't appear to be frail. In fact, the years have made her tough. She scrutinizes you two from under her hat, which obscures just enough of her features to make it impossible to see above her nose. "It's 150 miles to Luskan. With yer little legs, it's gonna take a week t'get there."

She stands up straight after looking the two of you up and down, and you hear a nasty cracking sound in her ankles. Then she begins counting on her fingers. "An' there's too many of ya. I can't pay ya' enough ta make it worth yer effort. I norm'ly pay a silver a day per head fer mounted guards. But since yer slowin' me down, I'll pay ya' 5 silver a head. Provide yer own meals 'n tents."

Roll Sense Motive Checks

POSTING FOR MISSMVICIOUS:
"Good idea Gordid. Oscar can come with me to try to hustle up some business, and you can try to get in good with the guild. One way or the other, we'll get work." Gwen nudges Oscar with her elbow. "I think I've found our man, right there." She points to a portly gentlemen who has just finished talking to a well-to-do merchant who appears to have shunned him.

Lexin
2012-08-05, 03:30 PM
"I've been to Luskan many times with my family. If we ever found guards for such a low cost we would be rich enough to rule in Waterdeep... And it is at least 9 days to Luskan unless you are leaving your wagon here..." Says Felix deep in thoughts, then he focuses on the merchant and adds "Would you like to reconsider your offer?"

Profession check [roll0]

inexorabletruth
2012-08-05, 03:51 PM
Felix and Fimble:
Just Felix:
(Felix has good reason to believe that the group should be paid 4-5 gold per head for this trip based on that profession check.)

The old woman's head snaps toward Felix as he talks. Then she takes a moment to re-evaluate him.

"Waterdeep Lynns..." she sniffs and thinks about the name, trying to recall where she last heard it from.

"Alright. I can tell yer not new at this after all. But I still can't pay ya much. I'll give ya three gold a head. And I'll let other merchants piggy back if ya wanna catch a second bid. Guild merchants git t' leave first. Once they're gone, the rest 'f us try to find our own means of protection and travel. Some of em might even pay ya some money to tag along with me now that I'm guarded. But be discreet about it. I'm not interested in rufflin' the feathers of the guild."

Croverus
2012-08-06, 12:11 AM
Gordid takes more time than he oribionally planned and makes himself a magnificently braided beard, then finally approaches the guildsmen and gives a respectful bow to the dwarf. "Hail kinsman. Aye be Gordid Swordbreaker of the Whisperin' Stone Monastery in the distant mountains of World's Spine. Me friends and meself are looking fer work and it dawned upon me that we should seek work from the guild. Do ya have any openings fer six eager adventurers? Me companions include a pair o' paladins, two casters of the arcane, and a monk."

Diplomacy check to see if I can give a good enough introduction [roll0]

Beard is like this
http://www.incrediblethings.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/crocheted-dwarf-viking-helmet-beard-combo-2.jpg

AshesOfOld
2012-08-06, 03:55 AM
Having no idea of how bartering works or even what's good or bad economically (he paid double for the boat-ride), Fimble turns Felix around by the shoulder and whispers in his ear:
"Is this a good offer? And is it true about the other merchant's? To be honest, I just wanna get going, but I don't want you to be cheated."

Lexin
2012-08-06, 04:15 AM
Felix thinks for a while and answers:

"For the protection from the group like ours you should pay at least five gold per head. Even more is we were to protect more of you. And I would say that the food should be provided too... nobody likes hungry guards on duty..."

inexorabletruth
2012-08-07, 12:06 PM
Gordid:
The dwarf looks at you with a stern, appraising visage, then bares his teeth in a way that only a dwarf would interpret as a smile.

"Findar samman, Dolrakten Gordid!"
Dwarven Translated:
"Welcome brother, Gordid Swordbreaker!" Also "Good fortune to you kisnman, Gordid Swordbreaker!"

"Eet's good tae see anodar kinsman! Oy be Bazbin Strakeln, oof da Gate o' Oiron Moines."

He extends a hand in friendship after his traditional greeting. His thick and unusual accent is hard, even for a dwarf, to decipher, but you recognize it as coming from the desert mountains far southeast of here.

"Ye came o bit late, oim afrayd. Most o'da beest work goon oot ainreadeh." He scratches his beard a bit. "Bu' oim not fer turnin' me own blood away empteh-'anded. Gragory! War be da gnome aboot? Get dem pehppers 'ere."

He looks to the human as he asks the question, who seems to be comfortable with the dwarf's accent, and turns sharply on his heels claps his hands twice and calls out for someone named "Fnipper." Shortly thereafter, a small, silk-clad gnome scurries up to the human with an inquisitive face. "Papers." he barks to the gnome. "For six." The gnome bows and fumbles through his scroll case and produces a long scroll.

"Will that be all, Master Gregory?" The gnome inquires in a pompous, nasally voice.

"At's da ting." Bazbin replies as he snatches the scroll from the gnomes hand. "Git yer friends tae coom op'ere, lad. 'Oil draw up da pehppers. Yoo'n'yers follow da gnome back tae da guild hall. Tellem oi sent ya. But be quick aboo'it!"

"Well," the Gnome says, turning to you. "As soon as you're ready, then."

Felix and Fimble:
The old woman looks devastated.

"You'd drive an old woman to the poorhouse like that? Four gold a head and not a copper more. I'll cover yer meals and rooms, but I ain't payin' for anything fancy."
Diplomacy: [roll0]

Croverus
2012-08-07, 01:13 PM
Gordid slaps Bazbin on the shoulder in gratitude and then calls over to his fellow adventurers. "Oy! I got us sum papurs fer tha guild. Aye plan ta go fill 'em out. Yer free ta come as well but be quick 'bout it." He turns to the gnome and motions for him to proceed, expecting the others to follow if they want.

Jungian
2012-08-08, 10:10 AM
Oscar surveys the portly gentlemen, taking a moment to get a sense of the man's station. As Gordid returns with news of official papers, Oscar eyes drift over to Felix and Fimble. Felix seemed to be in the process of haggling with a merchant, "Well at least opportunities abound in the caravan trade. Ms.Gwen do you still wish to negotiate with the rotund fellow?"

Sorry for delays, I've had quite a busy weekend/week. I'll be switching to email subscriptions to keep up with the thread. Here are some rolls, if they are still applicable.

Here is the standard sense motive, with a focus on the portly man's desperation for guards.
[roll0] Sense Motive

I want to use a profession gentlmen check [roll1]
and a craft check [roll2]

To see if Oscar can recognize whether the man appears to be wealthy and possible his station.