PDA

View Full Version : Help with 1/day magic items

WonderfulAngus
2012-05-25, 02:11 PM
??????????????????????????????????????????

Deophaun
2012-05-25, 02:27 PM
As the whole uses-per-day mechanic echos the spells-per-day mechanic of spell casters, it should probably recharge as often as your average caster recharges.

Suddo
2012-05-25, 02:31 PM
As the whole uses-per-day mechanic echos the spells-per-day mechanic of spell casters, it should probably recharge as often as your average caster recharges.

I disagree with this. I think its based on a 24hour time, if you want to give them an item that is useable once per 8 hours look into making those items 3/day and then just put a restriction on it where it's actually 1/8hours.

Edit: And it refreshes based on the sun. So if its a 24 hour thing on a planet with 8 hour days then yes on the 3rd sunrise. And it could be used an hour before and then right after.

Downysole
2012-05-25, 04:06 PM
There are stacking benefits that you have to consider with this. For example, if your turns recharge whether you used them 20 hours or 20 minutes ago, just imagine having DMM Persist double the normal...so, think that through.

KillianHawkeye
2012-05-25, 08:41 PM
If you're changing the standard length of a day, then it stands to reason that any 1/day items or abilities would change along with it unless they come from another planet with a normal-length day.

Slipperychicken
2012-05-25, 11:03 PM
So... I am DM in a new campaign with three all new players. I have included in the treasure for their first dungeon;
- two Chronocharms
- Arcanist's Gloves
-Epoch of Authority
-Masterwork Greatsword with crystal of least return

On their planet, days are eight hours long and they average two encounters per day. How do Chronocharms work? It says they can be activated 1/day, does this mean 24 hour breaks in between uses, or can be used at 11:59PM and 12:01AM, or need eight hour rest to be activated?

I heard Vancian magic draws power from the sun's rotation, so fluffwise it might be reusable every 8 hours. Either that, or it needs three rotations to "charge up" fully.

Rules-wise, if it says day, that either means one rotation of the sun, or 24 hours. It's really up to you to decide whether "day" now means 8 hours or 24. To avoid headaches, I'd just make all the "day" values equal 8 hours. In the actual rules, yes, I'm pretty sure you can pop a 1/day item at 11:59 then again at 12:01, otherwise the bookkeeping would become unbearable. Say something about midnight being a magical time :smalltongue:

So yes, I would strongly suggest changing the "day" and "24h" values to be 8h, so no one has to count time until their gear works again.

Side note: do spellcasters still need 8 hours of rest, or did everyone adapt to 8 hour days?