PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Fun Sorcerer build

doko239
2012-05-25, 02:40 PM
I've been playing around, creating new characters for fun, and came up with this build for a tripmonkey sorcerer (yes, it's odd, but bear with me). Basically just uses lots of Toppling Magic Missiles to make trip attacks against essentially everyone, using Caster Level + Cha instead of BAB + Str.

Sylvan bloodline gives an animal companion as a Druid of Sorc level - 3, which Boon Companion brings up to full level. Give it Combat Reflexes and high Dex, and start using Greater Trip with Toppling Magic Missile to give it tons of AOOs on prone targets :smallbiggrin:

Build posted at 11th level, as that's the earliest I can get Greater Trip without affecting companion progression.

Edit: Concept I had was a jungle witchdoctor type wielding a spear and riding a panther into battle.

Human Sorcerer (Sylvan) 10/Barbarian (True Primitive) 1

Str 10
Dex 16
Con 12
Int 13
Wis 10
Cha 18 (14 +2 Human +2 attribute increase)

Feats: Toppling Spell, Toughness, Eschew Materials (1st level), Boon Companion (3rd level), Combat Expertise (5th level), Improved Trip (7th level) Improved Initiative (Bonus Feat), Intensified Spell (9th level), Greater Trip (11th level)

Thoughts?

deuxhero
2012-05-25, 02:57 PM
Shift your PB around a bit

15 dex and 15 charisma with the racial in charisma and 1 level up point in each gives the same status, but saves a point (put it in strength for a tiny boost to capacity)

You could also dump wisdom to 8 (Will is a high save for you) and start with 16 charisma

stack
2012-05-25, 03:00 PM
Should give you and/or your companion vicious stomp (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/vicious-stomp-combat) for extra AOO goodness. Unfortunate improved unarmed strike pre-req though.

deuxhero
2012-05-25, 03:05 PM
Isn't IUS actually a good feat for an animal companion (can make all IUS attacks, then all natural weapons as a secondary)? Think they inexplicably changed it in PF (or it could have been monks only).

stack
2012-05-25, 03:40 PM
I believe IUS on ACs works fine in PF. Even better with multiattack. Kung-fu bears!

doko239
2012-05-25, 04:28 PM
Hmm, with Vicious Stomp I can forgo Greater Trip entirely, which makes the build peak at 9th level without having to dip Barbarian.

Consider:

Human Sorcerer (Sylvan) 9

Str 11
Dex 16 (15 +1 attribute increase)
Con 12
Int 13
Wis 10
Cha 18 (15 +2 Human +1 attribute increase)

Feats: Toppling Spell, Toughness, Eschew Materials (1st), Boon Companion (3rd), Combat Expertise (5th), Improved Trip (7th), Improved Initiative (Bonus), Intensified Spell (9th)

Companion (Big Cat)

Str 24
Dex 17
Con 17
Int 3
Wis 15
Cha 10

Feats: Power Attack (1st), Combat Reflexes (2nd), Improved Unarmed Strike (5th), Vicious Stomp (8th), Multiattack (9th)

Companion Attacks: Unarmed Strike +11 (1d4 + 7) plus Bite + 11 (1d8 + 7) plus 2 Claws +9 (1d6 + 4) OR

Power Attack Unarmed Strike +9 (1d4 + 11) plus Bite +9 (1d8 + 11) plus 2 Claws +7 (1d6 + 8)

Shift your PB around a bit

15 dex and 15 charisma with the racial in charisma and 1 level up point in each gives the same status, but saves a point (put it in strength for a tiny boost to capacity)

You could also dump wisdom to 8 (Will is a high save for you) and start with 16 charisma

While I appreciate the suggestion, the DMs I play with tend to frown on dump stats. I did fix Dex/Cha though, thanks!

Keneth
2012-05-25, 05:17 PM
While I appreciate the suggestion, the DMs I play with tend to frown on dump stats. I did fix Dex/Cha though, thanks! That's ridiculous, 8 isn't dumping a stat, 5 would be dumping a stat. 8 is still pretty average. And besides, low stats make for some excellent roleplaying opportunities and they're much truer to the traditional 3d6 stat rolling system.

doko239
2012-05-25, 05:24 PM
That's ridiculous, 8 isn't dumping a stat, 5 would be dumping a stat. 8 is still pretty average. And besides, low stats make for some excellent roleplaying opportunities and they're much truer to the traditional 3d6 stat rolling system.

I don't disagree, but they have some strange ideas about what constitutes powergaming.

Akal Saris
2012-05-25, 07:10 PM
Oddly enough, I had nearly the exact same idea for a build, though I went down the summoning chain after 1st level instead.

One suggestion: Magical Lineage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/magical-lineage) on Magic Missile lets you pull off this trick from level 1 :)

Is there a way to cast spells while concentrating in PF? If so, starting from L10 you can concentrate on Telekinesis and cast quickened magic missiles each round.

Some more fun stuff:

Tandem Trip (Combat, Teamwork) (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/tandem-trip-combat-teamwork)

Trip Line (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/3rd-party-spells/rite-publishing---3rd-party-spells/t/trip-line) (3rd party)

Doorhandle
2012-05-25, 07:55 PM
If they don't allow dumping stats they're gonna spew at seeing magical linage. Worth a shot...

Also I just realised this could be good for a staff magus. Toppling spell +Tripping staff chain+spell-combat = loads of tripped people within your reach. Might wanna use enlarge person as well for more reach.