PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How very touching - touch spells that keep on giving

Flickerdart
2012-05-25, 10:36 PM
We all know Chill Touch - it lets a wizard punch something repeatedly, and then that something loses a whole bunch of strength. What other spells out there are like that, that let you make one touch attack per CL? So far I've only been able to find Parching Touch, Corrosive Grasp, Storm Touch and Spectral Touch.

Venger
2012-05-25, 11:01 PM
while belker claws doesn't exactly allow one touch per level, it does something that's arguably better, requiring only 1 touch and deals damage again over subsequent rounds.

candycorn
2012-05-26, 01:37 AM
From PHB2: Cloud of Knives. One ranged attack per round as a free action.

I also recall higher level spells that do ranged touch attacks multiple times over multiple rounds, for 7d6 and 13d6 damage, respectively. Can't remember source though.

gorfnab
2012-05-26, 02:24 AM
Umbral Touch - 3rd level - Shadowcaster mystery

avr
2012-05-26, 03:49 AM
Produce flame, druid 1.

Storm touch - is that the spell which half-elves with the Mark of Storm can pick up as an alternate ability in Dragonmarked? I've meant to create a character to use/abuse the various dragonmark CL boosters to get some real use of that, but never got around to it.

candycorn
2012-05-26, 04:28 AM
Found them!

Magic of Eberron.

Storm Touch (Sorc/Wiz 5): Deals 9d6 electricity damage and stuns for 1 round (Fort negates stun). Can make one touch per caster level.

Scalding Touch (Sorc/Wiz 7): Deals 13d6 fire damage and dazes for 1 round (Fort negates daze). Can make one touch per caster level.

Both are melee touch attacks. Since they can trigger on every touch, you can make a full attack with them, and rack up some decent damage, especially with a bit of metamagic.

Flickerdart
2012-05-26, 11:22 AM
I know about Cloud of Knives and Belker Claws - I'm interested in specifically melee touch attacks you can make over and over. Produce Flame isn't great for this because you can't attack with it on the turn you produce it, and also the damage sucks compared to other similar spells.

Venger
2012-05-26, 09:50 PM
I know about Cloud of Knives and Belker Claws - I'm interested in specifically melee touch attacks you can make over and over. Produce Flame isn't great for this because you can't attack with it on the turn you produce it, and also the damage sucks compared to other similar spells.

Darkfire fits the bill. damage is OK, and it can be reused in the style you are describing.

Flickerdart
2012-05-26, 11:28 PM
That has the same problem of needing a turn of setup before being able to lay into an opponent with it, which is not great.

candycorn
2012-05-27, 01:09 AM
That has the same problem of needing a turn of setup before being able to lay into an opponent with it, which is not great.

I recommend metamagic rods of quicken. That said, the Storm Touch and Scalding Touch spells should fit what you're looking for. Good damage, added effect (stun or daze), reusable, and you can make a touch with the cast.