PDA

View Full Version : Thought Experiment about Saves

Dumbledore lives
2012-05-26, 12:31 AM
I was wondering what the best base saves anyone could get. Theoretically this is +40 to all saves, but that doesn't seem likely as an end result. Bonuses for getting different stats to saves. I leave this to the collective knowledge of the board.

Acanous
2012-05-26, 12:59 AM
If you're talking BASE saves, yes, theoretical cap is 40 to each. Adding Ability scores into things puts this cap somewhere in the "Theoretical" realm. Hundreds is easy.

ThiagoMartell
2012-05-26, 01:09 AM
Well, first you have to get rid of those pesky ones. I know there is one feat for Fortitude (Steadfast Determination?) but I guess for the other ones you'll have to use Dumb Luck... or you can use the Diamond Mind maneuvers. You shoudl probably use both.
Also, of course - evasion, improved evasion and mettle. Monk 2/Hexblade 3/Paladin of Tyranny 2/Blackguard 2/Warblade 1 gets

Evasion
Mettle
Cha x2 to saves (x3 vs spells)
The three Diamond Mind Concentration-instead-of-saves maneuvers

Now, grab Dumb Luck, Steadfast Determination and a few other luck feats. Grab a few potions of conviction if you're feeling desperate. I'll never fail a saving throw again! (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=never%20starce%20again%20gone%20with%20the%20win d&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CF4QtwIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dgn2 6pEDEhyY&ei=VnPAT9_HIo2Y8gTO-a2-Cw&usg=AFQjCNFlldfEditvY2r-rGcnk9djt-QO-w)

Doorhandle
2012-05-26, 01:23 AM
I think the basic trick here is to find several classes/races that give the same bonus to the same saves. For instance, a Nymph paladin can add her charisma twice to all her saves, and I think Fistbeard Beardfist can add his constitution to his will saves, for one.

Also, look for feats that stop you from auto failing on a natural one, which is proably more important than things that reduce the effect of a failed save (with the exception of evasion). There is no "Half effect" for a save-or-die.