PDA

View Full Version : Looking for specific book suggestions?

VoidMonk
2012-05-26, 11:04 AM
Hi everybody,

So, I'm looking for books (or video games, or really anything) with characters (preferably main, but supporting cast are also welcome) that fit a certain schematic. They should have one (though both is preferred) of the following characteristics:

- They fight empty handed

- They are a monk type character

Examples:
Teron from the book Orb of Xoriat; He's a Monk, fights mostly barehanded (uses weapons occasionally)

Raidon Kane from SpellPlague; Monk, also barehanded fighter

Danica from the Cleric Quintet; Fights with a staff occasionally, but fits the general mold of monk

For a non-fantasy example, the main character from Katanagatari; fights barehanded, is not a monk

I essentially read the Covenant series just for the Bloodguard, and I'm running out of books I know of and emptied out the "Bare fisted monk" trope section of tvtropes, so I'd appreciate the help! Thanks!

Yora
2012-05-26, 12:25 PM
I was writing a lot about Metal Gear Solid and how it has some fistfights, but not really any character who is truly an unarmed-only fighter. And I've been looking for some examples of unarmed fight scenes and happen to come upon this. It speaks for itself. :smallbiggrin:

Metal Gear Solid - Close Quarter Combat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S765-uNQxdE&feature=related)

There is no "unarmed only" character, but the whole series treats unarmed combat as "the only true way to fight". Weapons are useful and efficient, but when true warriors fight, it's bare hands only. :smallamused:

Another great game is Mirror's Edge. It's mostly about running away and the character does not even have a weapon. But sometimes it gets tight and you have to beat up some cops to get away without being shot in the back. You can pick up weapons until the magazine is empty, but there's even an Achievement to do the whole game with fists and feet only.
The cool Loading Screens (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N7mQYuXmeY)