PDA

View Full Version : Tome of Horrors II - Mawler

Jon_Dahl
2012-05-26, 02:04 PM
Does anyone have that book? I have some things that I don't quite understand about this monster.

First of all: It has improved grab and costrict, meaning that with a successful grapple check it can automatically inflict bite-damage each ground. However what I don't quite understand is that its primary goal and most strongest ability is to sever limbs and extremities. So if it's successful with its imp.grab+constrict special attacks, the Mawler will inflict 1d4+1 damage each round but if it's not, it can permanently sever your limb in addition to the damage (with a confirmed critical).

Secondly: Cloaker's Engulf-attack emposes special danger to victims; "Attacks that hit an engulfing cloaker deal half their damage to the monster and half to the trapped victim."
However, there are no penalties to attack a mawler which you're wearing as a piece of clothing. E.g. It says that the Mawler might try imitate a codpiece. But once you are wearing the codpiece-Mawler, your friend can attack it without penalties with a greatsword. Is that right?

I don't understand how this monster works. Can anyone help me, please?