PDA

View Full Version : Favorite First Level Spell/Power

Mithril Leaf
2012-05-26, 07:25 PM
What is your favorite first level spell or power? Assuming all splat material is allowed and you only get one power or spell, what would it be? Personally I'd probably take psionic minor creation because it's got a ton of versatility. For spells I like unseen servant and true strike. What are your personal favorites?

Zonugal
2012-05-26, 07:41 PM
It would likely be Call Item (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827e) for me.

I love having exactly what I need for the situation at hand.

For spells? Likely Silent Image for its versatility.

Silva Stormrage
2012-05-26, 07:56 PM
Vigor for me. Its one of the main reasons I enjoy psionics :smallbiggrin:

Grail
2012-05-26, 08:03 PM
Grease = fun!

deuxhero
2012-05-26, 09:08 PM
Favorite 1st level power is easily Psionic Minor Creation.

Invader
2012-05-26, 09:13 PM
Druids animal companion is pretty wicked as a 1st level ability. For spells I never go anywhere without obscuring mist and magic missile is just classic.

Getsugaru
2012-05-26, 10:38 PM
Powers: Probably Minor Creation or Astral Construct; both are so versatile :smallsmile:

Spells: Launch Bolt, which, as many people on the playground agreed with me on, can shoot almost any sized bolt if you have Eschew Materials or similar...tiny crossbow bolts for nails, Huge crossbow bolts for long, pointy trees:smallbiggrin:; Summon Instrument, "Pianos are falling from the sky!!! Run for your lives!!!!!":smallamused:; Silent Image, for obvious reasons; ...afb(away from books) I'll finish this later...

JoshuaZ
2012-05-26, 10:43 PM
Powers: Probably Minor Creation or Astral Construct; both are so versatile :smallsmile:

Spells: Launch Bolt, which, as many people on the playground agreed with me on, can shoot almost any sized bolt if you have Eschew Materials or similar...tiny crossbow bolts for nails, Huge crossbow bolts for long, pointy trees:smallbiggrin:; Summon Instrument, "Pianos are falling from the sky!!! Run for your lives!!!!!":smallamused:; Silent Image, for obvious reasons; ...afb(away from books) I'll finish this later...

You do know that the text of Summon Instrument specifically doesn't let you pull that sort of stunt?

Dr.Epic
2012-05-26, 10:45 PM
Rage or Magic Missile

deuxhero
2012-05-26, 10:46 PM
Summon Instrument, "Pianos are falling from the sky!!! Run for your lives!!!!!":smallamused:;

Only works for giants, you have to be able to hold the summoned instrument.

Lateral
2012-05-27, 12:23 AM
For powers? PMI, Astral Construct, Crystal Shard, or the aforementioned Call Item. Although I'd like it a lot more if its limit was 20 gp rather than 10, as a lot of my favorite alchemical toys are around 20 gp.

For spells? Well, with Arcane Thesis and Easy Metamagic, a Locate City wightbomb is a 1st level spell. :smallwink:

CIDE
2012-05-27, 01:01 AM
Astral Construct was always my favorite for powers. Spells...? Can't really pick...

Getsugaru
2012-06-10, 04:39 PM
You do know that the text of Summon Instrument specifically doesn't let you pull that sort of stunt?

If you increase your strength score high enough to lift a piano, it would work; at least in theory...:smallamused:

JellyPooga
2012-06-10, 09:08 PM
I'm also a fan of Unseen Servant, but I'm not sure I'd call it my favourite. (Tensers') Floating Disk is certainly near the top of my list, as is Animate Rope and Shillelagh. My absolute favourite though has to be (Tashas') Hideous Laughter (1st level as a Bard spell); Causing someone to burst into helpless laughter...awesome.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-06-10, 09:19 PM

If you increase your strength score high enough to lift a piano, it would work; at least in theory...:smallamused:

Still doesn't.

This instrument appears in your hands or at your feet (your choice).

Of course, you could be flying above the target...

Yuukale
2012-06-10, 09:29 PM
can't stop loving Color Spray and its stopping power.

eggs
2012-06-10, 10:12 PM
Synchronicity: on one level, it turns readied actions into a much more interesting tactical option; on another, it can make almost any psionic class thrive in a high-powered game.

sonofzeal
2012-06-10, 10:20 PM
If you're summoning pianos, you're not thinking big enough (http://www41.homepage.villanova.edu/klaus.volpert/images/pipe_organs/sydney.jpg).

Heck, since the term "musical instrument" is never rigorously defined, certain interpretations can lead to amusing situations. I think my favorite was.... mmmm...

"I summon the Tarrasque! With bells on!"

Psyren
2012-06-11, 01:01 AM
Astral Construct for me - you can pick no other offensive powers and still get through just about any campaign.

rot42
2012-06-11, 01:57 AM
Extended Prestidigitation. For *two* hours I can be a conjurer of cheap tricks.

Little Brother
2012-06-11, 02:11 AM
Psionic Minor Creation, Astral Construct, or maybe Call Weapon... Call Weapon seems more fun, and Astral Construct seems more dangerous(Without poison abuse), but PMC is more versatile.

And, without a doubt, Charm Person. Disguise Self is nifty, but Charms are probably my favorite.

If we get both 1 psionic power and 1 spell, probably Astral Construct and Charm Person, for the mix off offence and utility. This is doubly true if I can level up.

Black_Zawisza
2012-06-11, 05:07 AM
Synchronicity: on one level, it turns readied actions into a much more interesting tactical option; on another, it can make almost any psionic class thrive in a high-powered game.
Seconded. Power and flavor all in one juicy time-warping package.

robertbevan
2012-06-11, 07:09 AM
Extended Prestidigitation. For *two* hours I can be a conjurer of cheap tricks.

is "hooker" a new prestige class that i hadn't been made aware of?

Yuki Akuma
2012-06-11, 07:15 AM
Grease. Otherwise known as "The Reason The Rogue Loves You".

robertbevan
2012-06-11, 07:19 AM
Grease. Otherwise known as "The Reason The Rogue Loves You".

too early for the hooker joke again?

hoverfrog
2012-06-11, 07:23 AM
Charm Person. Why make enemies when you can make friends? Useful for anything from "mate's rates" when buying a selling equipment to stopping the local orc warlord from literally having you for dinner.

sonofzeal
2012-06-11, 07:29 AM
Charm Person. Why make enemies when you can make friends? Useful for anything from "mate's rates" when buying a selling equipment to stopping the local orc warlord from literally having you for dinner.
While I managed to eventually figure out your meaning, you maaaaay want to avoid the word "mate" or especially "mates" in context of "Charm Person". Just a suggestion. :smallwink:

hoverfrog
2012-06-11, 08:08 AM
While I managed to eventually figure out your meaning, you maaaaay want to avoid the word "mate" or especially "mates" in context of "Charm Person". Just a suggestion. :smallwink:Charm person makes them a friend. The "with benefits" version is a second level spell. :smalltongue:

Randomguy
2012-06-11, 02:03 PM
Hightened prestigidation. But I might be biased, since I somehow managed to sit on gum today. (Seriously. Who puts gum on chairs?).

Yuki Akuma
2012-06-11, 02:30 PM
Heightening Prestidigitation would do nothing except allow it to bypass Globes of Invulneranbility at certain levels.

Randomguy
2012-06-11, 02:40 PM
Heightening it makes it count as a first level spell, which was the topic of the thread.

jaybird
2012-06-11, 03:37 PM
is "hooker" a new prestige class that i hadn't been made aware of?

Played a Sorcerer once with 20 Cha, 16 Dex, and Profession (Oldest) :smallbiggrin:

Favourite first level spell is probably Sleep. An unconscious target is always willing, after all :smallbiggrin:

Socratov
2012-06-11, 03:55 PM
probably grease and/or tasha's hideous laughter. the combination makes for quite the slapstick...

If a bard i add inspirational boost, so useful in the right build...

robertbevan
2012-06-11, 05:28 PM
Played a Sorcerer once with 20 Cha, 16 Dex, and Profession (Oldest) :smallbiggrin:

Favourite first level spell is probably Sleep. An unconscious target is always willing, after all :smallbiggrin:

that sounds less like a hooker and more like a date rapist.

my favorite first level spell is mage armor. nice bonus, and nice duration.