PDA

View Full Version : what to do during time stop

Korivan
2012-05-26, 07:44 PM
Like the title suggests, wondering what kind of things do you do during a time stop. The spell says your sped up, and cant affect alot of things. Just wondering what everyone uses.

Vegan Zombie
2012-05-26, 08:12 PM
I used to Maximize Time Stop for 5 rounds, then drop 5 Delayed Blast Fireballs just for fun, counting down to the last round, when I would Quicken Dimension Door out of there.

Good times

Snowbluff
2012-05-26, 08:19 PM
Grab a snack. Be quick, though. You only get like 18 seconds.

Hirax
2012-05-26, 08:43 PM
Cloudkill, dimensional lock, and forcecage are a classic.

Answerer
2012-05-26, 08:53 PM
during time stop someone set us up the bomb

Acanous
2012-05-26, 08:58 PM
I cannot recall if disjunction works during a time stop. If it does, Disjunction, Cloudkill, Force Cage, Dimensional Lock ;)

Lateral
2012-05-26, 09:27 PM

Main screen turn on dispel.

Necroticplague
2012-05-26, 09:33 PM
Spam summoning spells, watch the surprised look on the enemies face when they are suddenly surrounded by demons. If I can Persist it (the time stop), use GPB/Implore to bring up an aspect of something, watch the complete horror when THAT suddenly appears in front of them (ideally on an appropriately evil mount).

Korivan
2012-05-26, 09:54 PM
Spam summoning spells, watch the surprised look on the enemies face when they are suddenly surrounded by demons. If I can Persist it (the time stop), use GPB/Implore to bring up an aspect of something, watch the complete horror when THAT suddenly appears in front of them (ideally on an appropriately evil mount).

Whats GPB/implore all about now?

Korivan
2012-05-26, 09:55 PM
never mind, figured it out

ThiagoMartell
2012-05-26, 11:15 PM
Save the cheerleader, save the world

Arbane
2012-05-26, 11:23 PM
As Vaarsuvius shows us (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0638.html), buff spells can be a good choice.

TheDon
2012-05-27, 01:24 AM
Find a way to persist it, incantatrix maybe? Then have a nap... good lord, could you imagine all the sleep you could have?

J.Gellert
2012-05-27, 01:26 AM
Tie the BBEG's shoelaces together.

PersonMan
2012-05-27, 01:47 AM
Main screen turn on dispel.

You will not survive make your Time Stop.

Balmas
2012-05-27, 02:33 AM
Well, if you're willing to blow a good portion your spells, you can do a fairly good number on any opponent, as follows:

Extended Time Stop: (using metamagic rod of Extend) gets you at least four rounds, and maybe as many as ten.

Gate: Assuming you have an orange Ioun Stone to boost your caster level, you should be powerful enough to gate in a Celestial Great Wyrm Gold Dragon. Granted, that drains you of 1000 XP, but I find it worth it just to see the look on your DM's face.

Quickened Stoneskin

Prismatic Sphere. Nothing says "Screw you," like seven different nasty spell effects.

Quickened Protection from Energy

If you have the XP to spare, you could gate in another celestial great wyrm gold dragon and watch the carnage.

Quickened Delayed Blast Fireball. Yay, senseless carnage!

Limited wish: Cast Slipsand under your enemy's feet. (Basically, this spell from Sandstorm creates a 10 foot cube of quicksand. No save, no Spell Resistance. If they can't get out of the 10 foot pit, they have to hold their breath or suffocate.)

Instruct your two dragon slaves to cast dimension lock centered on your enemy as soon as you leave, followed by a wall of stone over the area of quicksand in which your enemy is imprisoned.

Quickened Teleport.

So, let's see how this plays out. First, the delayed blast fireball fries your enemy. Then, he's left trapped in a pit of quicksand where he will rapidly suffocate. He cannot teleport out due to the dimensional lock and the wall of stone covering the pit makes for an effective deterrent. If this somehow fails to kill him, he'll still have to face two angry great wyrm gold dragons. Pray that he thinks you're actually in the Prismatic Sphere and tries to kill you.

(This is why Wizards can play God. They pull it off.)

kardar233
2012-05-27, 05:57 AM
Not totally sure if this would work within the parameters of Time Stop, but:

Beginning of turn, Shapechange into a Nagahydra, netting you six(?) spells per round. Cast Quickened Dimensional Lock on your target. Cast Extended (Empowered?) Time Stop. Spend four rounds casting Energy Transformation Field on whoever you wish to kill, with the key spell being Maw of Chaos (DBF works too, but not as nicely) and the target on your target. Start casting tons of spells into the ETF, possibly renewing your Time Stop if necessary. When your Time Stop ends, the Energy Transformation Field will fire Absorbed Spell Levels/9 Maws of Chaos at your target, which as you were throwing out six spells per turn should be a hell of a lot. Target instantly dies to too many d6 of untyped damage and the Dimensional Lock should stop any contingent escape short of a Wish.

Yora
2012-05-27, 06:03 AM
時をとまれ

Cast major creation to create a steamroller.

時が動きです

Cespenar
2012-05-27, 06:17 AM
I think the best use of a Time Stop would be to turn to the audience and pull off a long winded soliloquy.

kardar233
2012-05-27, 06:35 AM
That only works if you put it contingent on your death.

NNescio
2012-05-27, 07:56 AM
時よとまれ

Cast major creation to create a steamroller.

時は動きだす

FTFY. minimumtextrequirement

lord_khaine
2012-05-27, 08:17 AM
Find a way to persist it, incantatrix maybe? Then have a nap... good lord, could you imagine all the sleep you could have?

Its not possibel to persist a Time stop, because its duration is stated to be instantaneous.

Prismatic Sphere. Nothing says "Screw you," like seven different nasty spell effects.

You cant place the sphere on some of someone, and i doubt anything worth a challenge at that level would be stupid enough to touch the sphere of their own free will.

Limited wish: Cast Slipsand under your enemy's feet. (Basically, this spell from Sandstorm creates a 10 foot cube of quicksand. No save, no Spell Resistance. if they can't get out of the 10 foot pit, they have to hold their breath or suffocate.

Again, cant think of a singel thing that would be both a challenge, and unable to get out of such a small pit by either flying, walking, jumping or crawling.

I cannot recall if disjunction works during a time stop. If it does, Disjunction, Cloudkill, Force Cage, Dimensional Lock ;)

It doesnt work.

To answer the OP, during a timestop you can either get the hell away because you are outmached, buff up on defensive spells or summon assistance.

Necroticplague
2012-05-27, 09:46 AM
Its not possibel to persist a Time stop, because its duration is stated to be instantaneous.

Incorrect, it has a duration of 1d4 rounds.

[quote=SRD]Time Stop
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 9, Trickery 9
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration:1d4+1 rounds (apparent time); see text

lord_khaine
2012-05-27, 10:09 AM
Incorrect, it has a duration of 1d4 rounds.

Time Stop
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 9, Trickery 9
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration:1d4+1 rounds (apparent time); see text

You are clearly not up to date on errata and FAQ.

Answerer
2012-05-27, 10:58 AM
No, there was no Errata on this point. There was an FAQ entry, but FAQ is not RAW. It's stupid, and the "apparent time" gives a decent argument that it is instantaneous even by RAW, but really nothing in the rules actually says that. Several places imply that Time Stop doesn't actually stop time, merely makes you move very, very fast – which would not make it instantaneous anyway.

Anyway, by RAW, Time Stop can be persisted. I'm reasonably sure no one would ever allow it.

Yora
2012-05-27, 11:07 AM
FTFY.
日本語を話しますか。

I've never seen yo used that way.

And do you mean 出す? That appears indeed to be more correct than です.
です です です です です です

jaybird
2012-05-27, 11:14 AM
:elan: Buff, buff, buff, buff the Big Stupid Fighter and Glass Cannon!

Alternatively, Vortex of Teeth + Quickened Vortex of Teeth, preferably Empowered as well. A stupid amount of d8 force damage over an area...

Eldariel
2012-05-27, 11:30 AM
Delay Spell allows basically any spell effect if you feel the need to showboat with a specific combination for the lulz. Generally a couple of Gates (just Gate in few Hecatoncheireses (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/abomination.htm#hecatoncheires) [if you can get 26 CL, which is trivial in Core with Archmage's Spell Power, Beads of Karma that you can UMD activate during Time Stop, and Orange Prism Ioun Stone] and Teleport out; no need to control them), trap of doom or some such (Shapechange also allows you to turn into e.g. Choker or Chronotyryn to double the spells you can cast in this duration; can cast on the first turn if you feel so inclined, then turn into a form with extra actions and cast some more).

Togo
2012-05-28, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure that area effect spells are the way to go here. I mean they do damage when they are cast, and at the same initiative each round subsequently, right? They do no damage when they are cast, because of time stop, so they're only going to take effect after the time stop has ended and the opponent has oompleted his first action - by which time he may well be out of there.

Monodominant
2012-05-28, 09:59 AM
We never used the Errata which meant we would usually implement Plan A.

Plan A is also known as Balor Chain Reaction.

Time Stop - Persist it.

Once there spend all your 9th level spells Gating Balors and placing them around the target.

Sleep and Recast Time Stop -Persisted once you are up.

Rince and Repeat Balor Summoning/Gating.

Fly at the max distance of a fly spell. When the Time Stop ends you order each 8 balors to strike the one in the middle of the 9 square box (and also cast Horrid Wilting for good measure).

Watch as the Chain Reaction of UNTYPED damage shatters reality and your enemy.

supermonkeyjoe
2012-05-28, 10:11 AM
Move chairs out from under people who are about to sit down (or put caltrops on the seat)

Snap your fingers at a very large object before setting off your time stop, cast disintegrate or other highly destructive spells repeatedly and then watch as others quake at your immense destructive power.

Run around and put amusing hats on everyone

Edit, alternatively check this out and replace all instances of "uses the watch" with "casts time stop" Bernard's Watch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bernard%27s_Watch_episodes)

Togo
2012-05-28, 10:13 AM
Odd rules question:

I know that ating in creatures is a staple of timestop threads, and that the spell iteself references summoning allies. But can you actually use gate to call creatures in and compel them to serve you during time stop? As per the time stop, they should be invulnerable to your gate spell.

What am I missing here?

Jack_Simth
2012-05-28, 10:34 AM
You are clearly not up to date on errata and FAQ.
Look again. There is no 3.5 errata (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/errata) on Time Stop. Even if you trust the FAQ (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a), the only one that ever addressed Time Stop and Persistent Spell at all was the 3.0 version, not the 3.5 version.

However, there's four basic interpretations of the Time Stop / Persistent Spell combination that the DM can select from:
1) Doesn't work, as Time Stop is 'effectively instantaneous', as noted in the 3.0 FAQ.
2) Over the next 24 hours, you basically go into stasis, except you can act for 1d4+1 rounds of the day.
3) You get 1d4+1 rounds of apparent time that you can spend whenever you like over the next 24 hours.
4) You get 24 hours of time all to yourself.

Odd rules question:

I know that ating in creatures is a staple of timestop threads, and that the spell iteself references summoning allies. But can you actually use gate to call creatures in and compel them to serve you during time stop? As per the time stop, they should be invulnerable to your gate spell.

What am I missing here?
Either:
a) Nothing
b) A really common house-rule that most people don't recognize as such.

Slipperychicken
2012-05-28, 12:08 PM
I think the best use of a Time Stop would be to turn to the audience and pull off a long winded soliloquy.

Talking is already a Free Action, and you're considered to be facing every direction all the time. They made those rules for a reason :smalltongue:

Necroticplague
2012-05-28, 12:26 PM
Talking is already a Free Action, and you're considered to be facing every direction all the time. They made those rules for a reason :smalltongue:

Technically, you're facing is more of a schrodinger's direction deal, since all around vision does have a benefit to it.Although, I would like to make a nitpick:If you turn to the audience and talk to them, it's a monologue. A soliloquy is talking to the other characters.

Lateral
2012-05-28, 04:27 PM
Although, I would like to make a nitpick:If you turn to the audience and talk to them, it's a monologue. A soliloquy is talking to the other characters.
Nope. Other way around.

...Well, sort of. A soliloquy is an internal monologue, displayed to an audience, which makes it a monologue addressed to the audience for pretty much all intents and purposes. A monologue is just a long speech (as opposed to dialogue).