PDA

View Full Version : Different sized weapons equivalent to other weapons?

Venger
2012-05-26, 09:27 PM
I seem to remember a chart that said that a medium greatsword is a huge bastard sword or something akin to this. basically, that a weapon would change what weapon it wasbased on the user's size. I've looked through the DMG, MiC, PHB, and MM1 and didn't find it anywhere. anyone know what I'm talking about?

I know it wasn't a complete list, just a few things. I'm pretty sure it was a chart if that helps. thanks.

KillianHawkeye
2012-05-26, 09:31 PM
I think that was how it worked back in 3.0, but the 3.5 changes to weapon size rules have made that not the case anymore.

If you still want to find it, I'd try a 3.0 PHB/DMG or maybe the Arms & Equipment Guide.

Elfinor
2012-05-26, 11:08 PM
It's a variant in the DMG 3.5 on page 27. 3e did have a similar system.

Fineous Orlon
2012-05-26, 11:50 PM
The DMG chart is a variant rule, and fun. However, it ignores a lot of content, or RAW, in the PHB.

The weapons tables [PHB, p116-7] give small and medium damage and types, table 7-4, [PHB, p 114] gives damage for tiny and large weapons. Page 113 gives the rules for using weapons [the numeric penalties] not sized for your character.

That's enough for a good start.

It does not match the variant chart in the DMG exactly. The DMG variant ignores size difference penalties and exactitude of amount of damage to make quick equivalencies.

The problem with sticking just to the PHB is, things don't match up very well, when checking damage dice versus handedness, etc, if you stick to RAW while trying to make equivalencies. You will need to wing it a bit.

Or, just use the quick chart in the DMG...