PDA

View Full Version : [3.PF] Arcane melee rogue. What class?

Fenryr
2012-05-26, 09:51 PM
Hello! I apologize but I must make this thread because I've never done a decent gish before. I wanna make a sly and arrogant character capable of using melee weapons and throwing some spells while having skills. Of course the character can't be perfect in every aspect but at least competent.

The character is level 9 and for a single game in the Underdark and surrounded by drows and dark creatures.

I've done a quick research and everyone yells Unseen Seer, Swift Blade or Abjurant Champion when making a rogue gish. But I don't wanna optimize THAT much. What about Daggerspell Mage? Arcane Trickster? Any other class or prestige class that may help?

In advance, thanks.

wayfare
2012-05-26, 10:17 PM
Hello! I apologize but I must make this thread because I've never done a decent gish before. I wanna make a sly and arrogant character capable of using melee weapons and throwing some spells while having skills. Of course the character can't be perfect in every aspect but at least competent.

The character is level 9 and for a single game in the Underdark and surrounded by drows and dark creatures.

I've done a quick research and everyone yells Unseen Seer, Swift Blade or Abjurant Champion when making a rogue gish. But I don't wanna optimize THAT much. What about Daggerspell Mage? Arcane Trickster? Any other class or prestige class that may help?

In advance, thanks.

Well, if optimization isn't a question, why not go Spellthief? Minor casting, minor sneak attack, flavorful abilities, and the ability to steal more powerful spells or creature characteristics.

Daggerspell mage is also lots of fun while being flavorful. For an oddball build, you could go Rogue 3, Swashbuckler 3, Chameleon X and get everything you need there.

I see you have PF listed in your OP. Have you considered Inquisitor? Its basically a divine adventurer type.

Waker
2012-05-26, 11:39 PM
Another viable option is to go Archeologist Bard. Has all the bard spells, skills plus a healthy dash of rogue abilities. The only thing you are missing is Bardic music and the Rogues Sneak Attack.

Lateral
2012-05-27, 12:32 AM
Those aren't optimized choices in the slightest, especially not Unseen Seer if you go more heavily on the nonmagic side. A Rogue 3/Wizard 2/Unseen Seer 4 should be perfectly viable for you.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-05-27, 01:18 AM
if you have Pathfinder, go for the Sandman Bard archetype. it gives Sneak Attack, spells, and spell thieving abilities. Its not a party buffer at all, in fact they lose inspire courage. I suggest using a scimitar with dervish dance so you can keep one hand free for said spellthieving touch attacks.

Its pretty much the best arcane-rogue gish in a can, because it can actually function, unlike 3.5 spell thief.

Rubik
2012-05-27, 09:17 AM
Factotum heading into chameleon can do this REALLY well, and it's high T3.

You can also do a dip into rogue and then head to swordsage.

Or go with the psychic rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) with 5 levels of war mind (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-prestige-classes/war-mind) in there for some extra combat powers.

Fenryr
2012-05-27, 05:35 PM
Thaaanks for all the ideas. If someone else has anything else to say, please, go ahead.

Empedocles
2012-05-27, 06:02 PM
Psychic rogue, easy. Or if you don't care much about optimization, run a spellthief.

hex0
2012-05-27, 06:25 PM
No mention for Beguiler? :smallannoyed:

Also if you are a Neraph (planar handbook) Spellthief, you can't go wrong. Auto-steal spells ftw. You can still go Unseen Seer after that.

Trickster Spellthief is much better. I like Trickster Spellthief->Nar Demonbinder->Spontaneous/Spontaneous Ultimate Magus myself for awesome...

doko239
2012-05-27, 06:25 PM
Vivisectionist Alchemist is a pseudo-Arcane archetype with sneak attack, that might be what you're looking for as a base class.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-05-27, 08:44 PM
No mention for Beguiler? :smallannoyed:

Also if you are a Neraph (planar handbook) Spellthief, you can't go wrong. Auto-steal spells ftw. You can still go Unseen Seer after that.

Trickster Spellthief is much better. I like Trickster Spellthief->Nar Demonbinder->Spontaneous/Spontaneous Ultimate Magus myself for awesome...

Beguiler is an awesome sneaky spellcaster; but a meleer it isn't. As far as sneaky gishes I am partial to Mystic Ranger with SotAO, you get Full BAB, D8 Hd, 6+Int skill points per level (which should be 15 at the least for acess to all spell levels so 8 SP per level is espected) and other goodies.

Lateral
2012-05-27, 08:55 PM
Beguiler is an awesome sneaky spellcaster; but a meleer it isn't. As far as sneaky gishes I am partial to Mystic Ranger with SotAO, you get Full BAB, D8 Hd, 6+Int skill points per level (which should be 15 at the least for acess to all spell levels so 8 SP per level is espected) and other goodies.

Except at 9th level, it makes you basically a Wizard who also has all the sweet Ranger spells and all those things you mentioned.

I think that might be A LITTLE MUCH for him.

Unusual Muse
2012-05-27, 09:11 PM
+1 on the Mystic Ranger+SotAO thing... and you can use the Dungeonscape variant to give you trapfinding, and Skilled City Dweller to get Tumble as a class skill.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-05-27, 09:48 PM
Except at 9th level, it makes you basically a Wizard who also has all the sweet Ranger spells and all those things you mentioned.

And from 10 level onwards it begins to loose a lot of steam, though yes it is on the powerful (perhaps too powerful) side.

Larpus
2012-05-27, 10:44 PM
Vivisectionist Alchemist is a pseudo-Arcane archetype with sneak attack, that might be what you're looking for as a base class.
Indeed, just depends on what you want out of the arcane spellcasting.

If all you're looking for is alter, invisibility, buffs and polymorph spells, the Alchemist has it all.

Invader
2012-05-27, 11:02 PM
Personally I like spell thief as well but there's always arcane trickster.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-05-27, 11:45 PM

A good balance point for this would be to open with three levels of Scout, take Swift Hunter at 6, and Sword of the Arcane Order at 9. Your spell levels are sufficiently delayed so as not to supersede the Wizard or other arcane casters, and you get full Skirmish progression as well, so you have an extra melee trick.

Alternately, you could go in the order of Scout 2/Ranger 6/Scout 3rd/Ranger 7th+, get Sword of the Arcane Order the first level it becomes relevant (but be two levels behind the Wizard), with a little Skirmish trick that suddenly becomes good at level 9.

Or, if Pathfinder feat progression, Scout 3/Ranger X with Swift Hunter coming online at 5 and SotAO at 7 means you *never* get your tricks later than you meant to (but get them later anyway).