PDA

View Full Version : Introducing a new Character/Player into a Campaign

Jukebox Hero
2012-05-26, 10:58 PM
So...I recently asked a question asking for help, and due to the overwhelming number (and quality) of the responses, I've decided to ask another.

I've only run a few campaigns that last longer than 5 or 6 levels, mainly due to the fact that whenever I run something that all the players enjoy, they tell everyone else in our group about it and then they all want to join in the fun - the way our group works is (more than) slightly unorthodox - and so, I usually agree (grudgingly) to allow one more player into the party. However, I usually botch the introduction, or the introduction of the new character makes the campaign take an entirely different turn than what I had expected...and the campaign dies with that meet.

Most recently, I had already run something for 3-4 extended meets, and had taken a small party of 2 from level 1 to level 9 (it started with 3 players). The third PC died in the beginning, and decided that he wanted to introduce one 7 levels later. I should've said no, as I often do to players who want to join in the middle of a campaign...but the party was hurting, and didn't have the hardiness, firepower, or versatility needed to take on the challenges I wanted to throw at them...so I decided to let him in. Needless to say, this turned out badly. His new character died within 3 hours, and with him, the campaign.

If you want me to get to the point, start here:
Basically, I just want to get some tips on integrating new characters and players into an already ongoing campaign.

Kol Korran
2012-05-26, 11:50 PM
i must say that i don't quite follow you- how does introducing new characters kill the campaign? what exactly happens that makes it end? is it a problem of integrating the player? (new player doesn't fit with the current play style, bogging the game or somehow disrupting it) or the character? (in which case i really don't understand)

true, in some situations seem to be unreasonable to find a new character join in, but in most cases this is at worst just an odd occurrence that the GM and players gloss over, and they continue the game.

again- i'm confused. can you explain and/ or give examples as to why the games die? :smallconfused:

Grail
2012-05-26, 11:59 PM
i must say that i don't quite follow you- how does introducing new characters kill the campaign? what exactly happens that makes it end? is it a problem of integrating the player? (new player doesn't fit with the current play style, bogging the game or somehow disrupting it) or the character? (in which case i really don't understand)

true, in some situations seem to be unreasonable to find a new character join in, but in most cases this is at worst just an odd occurrence that the GM and players gloss over, and they continue the game.

again- i'm confused. can you explain and/ or give examples as to why the games die? :smallconfused:

Exactly this.

I just don't get the problem. Is it because you're changing the narrative to bring in the new character? If so, maybe you should just slot the character/player into the game as though they always were there. It's not perfect, but it's better than the game dying...?

:smallconfused:

Rorrik
2012-05-27, 02:17 AM
I'm going to agree with that already expressed, but hypothesize that it may be due to the new player not being up to speed on the campaign so far and not being used to the DM and making fatal errors and generally slowing things down. I say this because I had a friend join one of our games and he lost our row boat, sunk our canoe, and almost got us arrested before we got him under wraps.

If this is the case, I suggest two ideas. First, have a time when the old players/characters bring the player up to speed, followed by the DM adding information from NPCs and that the new player character would know given his context (this helped when adding PCs to a game I ran recently, we ended up adding a few players and them having new information about the area proved valuable enough to the old players they took it well). Second, suggest the new player play a more passive role for at least one session while getting the hang of the group dynamic to avoid sudden changes and abrupt death.

If this isn't the problem, please, tell us more.

Jukebox Hero
2012-05-27, 05:21 AM
Ah, sorry that I wasn't specific enough. Basically, I have trouble keeping the flow of the game going, and usually, it's just too exhausting trying to introduce a new character. Usually, my plotlines are very complex, and very little is written down - I formulate the plot, the encounters, etc, in my head as I go - this usually works out great, as it allows me to shape the world as the players move through it. Several plotlines exist at any given point, and each move independently, so it's hard to keep track of those and think of a reason why a new PC would want to join in the plot. And while the players themselves are up to speed and aware of everything the older PCs know, their characters don't. And I'm strongly against simply allowing players to join up with each other because they know that OOC, the man sitting at the other end of the tavern is a PC. I like things to make sense (even if it is a fantasy game). I just have trouble keeping it all in my head, without allowing anything important to "pop out."

What I'm asking for is an alternative solution, something that would allow me to introduce new PCs without running for them a little bit in advance, or without having the new PC have an alternate goal. My campaigns fall apart because the flow of the game is disrupted heavily by the introduction of a new character. The old characters don't know how to deal with an introduction so sudden, but they realize that they need another party member, so they don't really allow him into the party, but instead, as something of an ally, a cohort, someone who isn't part of the tight-knit group, but rather someone else working towards a common goal, who will inevitably leave them after that goal is accomplished.

Sorry that I wasn't more clear in the beginning. :smallfrown:

Kol Korran
2012-05-27, 05:52 AM
. I like things to make sense (even if it is a fantasy game). I just have trouble keeping it all in my head, without allowing anything important to "pop out."
wanting to make things make sense i understand. but that is workable, (given a bit of creativity and some suspension of disbelief in extreme cases). i still don't understand hwat keeping everything in your head got to do with it, and what do you mean by "without allowing anything important to pop out". you mean not fit with the previous plan? not fit with the plot exactly?

in case that is the point, just talk with the player (assuming s/he have been in the game before) and ask them to not steer towards certain destructive-to-the-campaign directions. i still don't quite get your problem. an example might help considerably.

What I'm asking for is an alternative solution, something that would allow me to introduce new PCs without running for them a little bit in advance
what do you mean by "running for them a little bit in advance?

or without having the new PC have an alternate goal.
describe the campaign to the player, and ask him/ her to create their motives to fit into the exisiting plot.

My campaigns fall apart because the flow of the game is disrupted heavily by the introduction of a new character. The old characters don't know how to deal with an introduction so sudden, but they realize that they need another party member, so they don't really allow him into the party, but instead, as something of an ally, a cohort, someone who isn't part of the tight-knit group, but rather someone else working towards a common goal, who will inevitably leave them after that goal is accomplished.

a few ideas:
- the goal might be a long term goal, one that might fit well with the party. ("damn, that Villain X you were talking about? he killed my mamma! my family! my clan! my country!")
- the goal may be shorter lived, but as the party adventure together, put it ON THE PLAYERS to become more friendly, and find reasons to join with the new comer. it's not your responsibility alone you know.
- have the new ally join in a more subservient role to begin with (mercenary, hired hand, ordered by his commanders to join the party), and again- PUT IT ON THE PLAYERS to form the link.

risking your life together? facing horrible threats? terrible secrets? the weight of responsebility? find like minded individuals? possibly finding friends? possibly more? those are not good enough motivations?

Jukebox Hero
2012-05-27, 06:18 AM
Hmm....I guess maybe I'm just trying to take on too much responsibility and not trusting the players to do as much. I started playing with my group in the freshman year of high school, so we were pretty immature and incompetent as players. I'd like to think that at least as a player/DM, I matured faster than they did, and since then, I haven't really been trusting them to do much on their own. Even now, I feel the need to give them subtle pushes (more like shoves sometimes), but I guess the time has come for me to delegate to them a little more responsibility, I'll try it out.

Comet
2012-05-27, 07:31 AM
Hmm....I guess maybe I'm just trying to take on too much responsibility and not trusting the players to do as much. I started playing with my group in the freshman year of high school, so we were pretty immature and incompetent as players. I'd like to think that at least as a player/DM, I matured faster than they did, and since then, I haven't really been trusting them to do much on their own. Even now, I feel the need to give them subtle pushes (more like shoves sometimes), but I guess the time has come for me to delegate to them a little more responsibility, I'll try it out.

I was about to suggest this but you already seem to have figured it out. Yes, this hobby is best enjoyed as a group endeavour so don't be afraid to talk to everyone at the table and figure things out both in character and out of character. Best fun times for everoyne that way.

Rorrik
2012-05-27, 12:04 PM
What I'm asking for is an alternative solution, something that would allow me to introduce new PCs without running for them a little bit in advance.

My most successful character introduction recently was made especially hard due to the fact the players were in a place they weren't likely to find many allies when she joined. We agreed to make her character an exile from one of the local tribes and she entered the story hiding in the bushes waiting to steal some food from the given the opportunity, but instead ended up revealing herself to them in order to stop them from drawing the attention of a passing monster group. Instead of robbing them, she decided to trade information for food and her knowledge of the area has been a valuable asset to the party. Her character still doesn't trust their characters, but they're growing on eachother.

Jukebox Hero
2012-05-27, 07:52 PM
My most successful character introduction recently was made especially hard due to the fact the players were in a place they weren't likely to find many allies when she joined. We agreed to make her character an exile from one of the local tribes and she entered the story hiding in the bushes waiting to steal some food from the given the opportunity, but instead ended up revealing herself to them in order to stop them from drawing the attention of a passing monster group. Instead of robbing them, she decided to trade information for food and her knowledge of the area has been a valuable asset to the party. Her character still doesn't trust their characters, but they're growing on eachother.

But why would the party trust a random stranger, and for what reason would she join up with them?

Jay R
2012-05-29, 10:29 AM
What I'm asking for is an alternative solution, something that would allow me to introduce new PCs without running for them a little bit in advance, or without having the new PC have an alternate goal. My campaigns fall apart because the flow of the game is disrupted heavily by the introduction of a new character. The old characters don't know how to deal with an introduction so sudden, but they realize that they need another party member, so they don't really allow him into the party, but instead, as something of an ally, a cohort, someone who isn't part of the tight-knit group, but rather someone else working towards a common goal, who will inevitably leave them after that goal is accomplished.

This isn't your job. Let the players make the PC interaction work.

Most recently, when Nolen was going to join the game as an eighth level cleric, my Earl of Devon said to the king, "My fief has been growing, and we need to support the new people. I think we should build a new church, so we ask the established church to send a priest to run it."

Not every group has a nobleman who can do that, but the party should look for the new PC. That makes his entry to the game seamless.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-05-29, 01:11 PM
But why would the party trust a random stranger, and for what reason would she join up with them?

I don't think she did. It sounds like she was still on her own, but was a contact of the party.

lotusblossom13
2012-05-29, 01:45 PM
The campaign I am currently in relies on a serving of character motivations with a dash of suspension of disbelief. We have had three new people join our campaign after two left to go overseas. These three different characters were introduced in several different ways. The first was discovered in the dungeon of the BBEG which immediately established that he was an ally. His character had the excuse to want to join our party because the Big bad killed his sister. This meant that we had a reason to trust him (he was clearly the enemy of our enemy, and we believed his story using sense motivation), and he had a reson to travel with us.

The next character we found had amesia, but he beleived that by traveling with our group he may recover his memories. He was useful to us because he had the skills to fight and work together with our group, and his motivation (recovering his memories) gave him a reson to travel with us.

After typing and reading what has worked I guess the best way to do it is to talk with the person and ensure that they introduce a character whose goals are similar to the party's (or at least give them a reson to want to travel with the group), while also ensuring that the party will benefit by having them around.

Hope this helps :smallsmile: