PDA

View Full Version : Privateers in the Depths (IC)

Demidos
2012-05-27, 12:52 AM
A Dwarven Submersible

http://digital-art-gallery.com/oid/56/640x1024_10508_Undersea_2d_illustration_concept_ar t_underwater_sci_fi_submarine_picture_image_digita l_art.jpg

The morning sun streams down through the clear water, a hundred feet or more from the surface, dappling the area with greens and blues. Below, the darkness grows deeper, an impenetrable barrier to sight. The dwarven merchant ships that you accepted to guard churn along steadily -- reliable dwarven submersibles, they requested your aid fending off unwelcome intrusions from the Rift. It has been a peaceful journey towards Ara'keen, the great free city, over the past two weeks. You are within three days of the fortress.

Welcome, one and all!
Post an introductory post to your character, start interacting!

Ralasha
2012-05-27, 01:31 AM
An octopus climbs in through the hole in the bottom of the ship, and then begins wandering about, opening doors, looking in rooms, closing them again, and generally acting very odd, even waving to people as it passes.

A rather big otter sits upon its back.

((None of you will ever see a dragon, I hope, since my animal companion can cast spells on itself and me))

Magnera
2012-05-27, 02:22 AM
A well built man stood by the window. His skin was a fair tan thanks to his many years at sea. His hair and eyes matched with a dark brown color, they showed no signs of age but instead plenty of experience. His hair was mostly covered by a light blue, very simple bicorn. It had no distinguishing features except a small orange string. From this string came a charm, one that was an emblem that mean friendship to the man. The charm was a simple sword that looked as if it was breaking through a chain. That sword meant action and the chain, slavery. This was not the only trinket that man had, thankfully nor was it all to his attire.
From his back a light ocean blue cloak was clasped. On his chest was a simple black vest, in contrast to his even more simple white shirt. On his neck was a golden pendant of a unicorn. On his legs were a pair of dark brown slacks, covering long black boots. The man was captain of his ship and his name was... Serbo.

Serbo looks away from the submerged window, a perplexed look forms on his face as an octopus crawls by seemingly waving at him. Who's idea was it to transform in to an octopus? Let alone one with a passenger! It better not be natural or else its going back in the sea! He sighed softly knowing that today was going to be interesting.
I guess that is just one more reason why the sea has more to it under the waves.
As Serbo turns around a small glint from his beard could be seen by any crew member that was watching him for that short moment. What ever it was could not be seen anymore, as the hair of his thick beard covered it to much.

Hey! One of the crew mind telling me what our clock says? I need to review our course at the top of the hour.
Noticing the lack of shiny metal Serbo remembered that he had yet to cast his daily spell for the day. It certainly was an interesting morning to say the least.
Why in blazes do I not have my armor active? A few short, partly unintelligible words form from Serbo's mouth, a few hand gestures act their part and are soon followed by their result, a shining set of armor forms around the captain as he places his hands on the wheel of his ship. A smile forms on his face, as Serbo feels comfort in the idea that his spell will last for the next several hours.

Someone give me a status report on our friends in need of protection. Serbo's voice is calm and soft, but it booms around the ship, echoing with the tang of metal but feeling like cotton or perhaps silk.

Hey do we have our ship yet? I can see the picture now! Whats our formation? How many other ships? I'll edit the rest of my post once I know about ralasha
Also I take this much str damage untill the spell ends. 1d2 It last for 8 hours but gives me+8 AC

Ralasha
2012-05-27, 02:24 AM
The octopus stops and looks at him for a moment when he mentions it. and, putting the tip of one of its tentacles into its ink sack writes: No expel, am friendly.

The sea otter chitters, and adds to the writing: please.

Octopus and Otter then resume moving down the corridors and looking in the rooms.

Magnera
2012-05-29, 03:47 PM
As the octopus writes it's message Serbo's eyes widen with understanding. Ah ha! you must be one of those awakened animals that Druids use to defend areas. Now that I think about it, how long have you been with us? Worse yet are we intruding upon sacred grounds?
Serbo knew only that animals were certainty not awakened for no reason. Let alone in pairs. While it was absolutely possible that they failed their mission given to them and have been freed from service it was undeniably unlikely.

I'll stick with yes or no questions. First, are you here out of curiosity? Second, are we causing problems by being here? Third, do you have your master with in communication range? Fourth are you that creepy thing that has been following us around since who knows when? Finally did you encounter trouble?

If these two were messengers from a Druid then it was concerning that they came in pairs. It means they, by what ever means, encountered problems before the message wanted to be sent. If the problem they encountered followed them, then there was going to be trouble.

All hands on deck prepare for the possibility of delays! I want good eyes on the look out for trouble as I think it's going to find us soon. While it may be a bit of a stretch there was the possibility of conflict. And as any good captain should, Serbo prepared his men for problematic conflicts.

Ralasha
2012-05-29, 04:19 PM
It replies in writing:
First: Yes, I'm just looking around.
To the second question: no.
Third: I'm the Master, why do you assume animals are stupid, mostly they just don't care.
Fourth: I'm not creepy.
Fifth: No trouble. Last time I was in here I was as mouse.

My turn. Why do you assume I can only answer yes or no questions?

Magnera
2012-05-29, 08:42 PM
Quite the hand you have! You can change form, you are defensive about animals, you are the master and you admit that you are not creepy. Interesting!

Serbo had his times of great intelligence and this was one of them.

The animal has to be a druid, it mimics the abilities of Viena and it has an out of place set of mind. It disliked the idea of animals not being smart, more support to druid. It says it's the master and still holds animal form, more for the druid. It has yet to cast a spell, less for druid, more for awakened animal. It admits to not being creepy, meaning it has followed us for some time, more for druid. Overall more support for druid than anything else. The true question is what does it want? It does seem to be here out of curiosity but there are other possibilities... I kind of like the idea of a free druid, lets find out if our friend here wants to be partners. Also I think it wrote that its friendly!

Well then i guess we don't really have a problem! I never said that animals were stupid, I didn't think that you would have used your ink to write so much. A yes or no answer would have sufficed, which is why I used them. How about sticking around for awhile? If you are truly friendly then we have nothing to lose but you. Much conversation could be missed and we may still become concerned with the fact that we don't know if its you that is following us or something worse. If you want a spot on the ship its here. Serbo grinned, or maybe smiled, one could not tell due to the shining armor coming from him. An interesting morning it most certainly was.

Ralasha
2012-05-29, 08:47 PM
The Octopus makes an odd blubbering noise, to which the Sea Otter responds with a chitter. The octopus then resumes roaming about the ship the two making noises as though go, as though deep in conversation while exploring.

RecoveringGamer
2012-05-29, 10:22 PM
Saialar didn't really like submersible boats. Or any boats, now that he thought about it. Makes for a piss-poor sailor, he thought to himself.

The decks were always a foot too short for comfort, and he'd probably fought more battles with cross-beams than with pirates (no small number!) They rolled and keeled like gravity was a playtoy. It always stunk of ale or refuse or rot or all three. Worst of all, the siren call of the sea was all around him, but his place was on the ship.

On the other hand, the pay was alright, he was never going to be short for food on an account of being born with the blood of the sea's greatest natural predators, he was accepted, and he got to prove his might. All in all, it was still more desirable than a life of an outcast.

Saialar was mulling this over while relaxing on one of the cots, when his introspection was interrupted by an otter riding an octopus. "What in the bloody hells..." he mutters to the room.

Picking himself up from the bed, Saialar heads to the helm where the captain likely was. As he neared the room, he shouted ahead of himself, "Captain! Captain Serbo! Why in the hells is there an octopus on the ship?!"

Magnera
2012-05-29, 10:46 PM
Noticing one of the higher ranking members of the crew shouting about their new 'partial' addition to the crew, Serbo giggled a little thinking of how the rest of the crew as going to react.
An octopus AND a sea otter! I just woke up my self, take a look at the writing over to my left. Serbo took a hand off his ship's wheel and pointed at the ink. The octopus is intelligent and so is the sea otter. When there is the chance for privacy I can talk to you more thoroughly about the matter but right here is not the place. The same hand that Serbo took off of the wheel points to the octopus mount and its odder rider as they return from one of the sleeping rooms, quickly followed by startled cries of some deck hands.

Once Viena gets up, we can have our resident shape-shifter temporarily take over the wheel as we discus the matter. Currently I am not concerned, the writing will tell you what you need to know. If you have other questions you are, as always, welcome to ask them.
Serbo's voice remained the same calm but very loud sound as it always has been but for the past little bit there was a hint of a few giggles here and there.

Ralasha
2012-05-29, 10:50 PM
The octopus waves again as it makes its journey in the other direction, to look through some more doors. Still in deep conversation with the Sea Otter.

RecoveringGamer
2012-05-29, 11:55 PM
Content with shaking his head, Saialar turns from the strange duo back to the captain. "How are we making out, sir? I 'aven't much experience with dwarves, much less the handful that'll willing set foot in water."

Then again, he thought, I'm not really an ordinary crew member either. I'm more worred about why they're here.

Magnera
2012-05-30, 02:52 AM
I made my nightly calculations as usual, we were off by a bit last night. However we were off the same set of degrees two nights ago but only to the portside in place of starboard. Thus according to my calculations we are perfectly on course. The dwarfs are simple merchants, I don't think that the ocean will stop them from getting their simple gold. How ever there are rumors that are going going around of how there are plans to connect Ara'keen and the dwarven capital of Dundermont via underground and under-ocean passage.
Puling out a map from its case to Serbo's right, the captain holds it up in hopes to explain their course but ultimately changes his plans.

Casina L.! I require your assistance with a map and the lack of a place to put it. Get over here!
Yes Captain! Answered a young teen as he swiftly walked over to his superior.
Hold this up as I explain our progress.
The young man was small for his age, at 14 he was only 4'5 and was physically weak. But he was clever and his brother who had the same name convinced Serbo to let him on board.

Now if we were to travel as the crow flies via boat from Ara'keen to Dundermont it would really only take about two to three days. The problem is that there are the combination of the sahuagin hordes, the marauding pirates and that unknown sea creature that we really aren't even sure exists. They are what blocks the direct path to Ara'keen.
As Serbo explains he uses his single free hand to point to each city and traces an imaginary line between the two.

The common trading route for Ara'keen and Dundermont consists of four key points.
Point one is Dundermont where we started our journey. The captain places his finger on the dwarven capitol and traces it up and to the left.

Point two is Waterhaven the rather small sized human controlled port, it lies northwest of the dwarven capital. Many will sail along the cost line for safety from the pirates. He stops his finger on a small peninsula marked with the name Waterhaven.

From there we traveled southwest and visit the third point. Serbo drags his finger along the map in the southwest direction and stops on what looks like a coral reef.
The Avinti city of Ubanishol. If the boat sails, then the captain usually uses the coral as a marker of when to turn to Ara'keen. If the boat can submerge then it may visit the nearby trading post that represents Ubanishol. They mostly sell things a king would want, expensive and almost useless things.

Finally we turned southeast and will soon arrive at point four. Ara'keen Upon bringing his finger from Ubanishol to Ara'keen Serbo lifts his finger from the map.

The whole trip takes about two weeks, with the longest stretch being Ubanishol to Ara'keen taking about six days, its also the most dangerous part as the Rift is very close to the route and its recommended that merchants guard their ships with mercenaries for extra protection. Unfortunately this entire route is also one of the few points that connects two of the major continents of our known world. Thus travel can get very problematic. Serbo takes the map from Casina L. and rolls it back into the case. The skinny teen stands just out of the way, awaiting orders.

There is one major problem with the two great cities connecting. Such a tunnel would be one of the larges projects in history and there is the chance that it could connect to the Rift. If the project was to say... puncture the Rift. The resulting water flow would utterly flood which ever city made the hole. And the ocean would over take part of the respective continent. And i don't think anyone wants to have problems with that.

DM
Hey if this causes problems then let me know ok? I figured that this may be a way to get an understanding of the world, all the while leaving many plot points that you could use.

Theroc
2012-05-30, 01:12 PM
Shar Nalid was a bit nervous about this journey. While he was accustomed to a surface-vessel, his concern was not about being underwater, not precisely. Being underwater brought no fear of drowning. Shar was more concerned about potentially needing to reveal his alternative nature, and thus is alter ego and the name by which the world knew him... as the Red Sting, a 'bloodthirsty' corsair known to serve Dynia Vedesh on the Black Howl. Given that reputation, Shar is concerned with being shunned or booted from the crew.

This self-reflection was interrupted as an octopus opened the door to his chamber with an otter atop it, the two conversing intently with each other, causing the young man to jump in his seat, quickly whirling from it to address the unusual visitor. Greetings my unexpected aquatic guests! Might I inquire as to what an unusual visitor seeks in my domicile at this time? He asked with a flourish and a grin, before giving a wink. Did the sea outside the ship get a bit lonely? He inquired still, smiling broadly as he hinted at his suspicions. He did not know the true nature of whatever tailed this vessel, but he had noted they were being followed before submerging. Once they submerged, Shar was sure to keep clear of the exterior walls of the ship as best he could, not wishing to be greeted with any breaches personally.

Sorry if this doesn't give others a great deal to go on, but I believe Shar would be a bit unlikely to deal with people overmuch unless asked to, since he feels a bit out of place currently.

RecoveringGamer
2012-05-30, 03:03 PM
"I wouldn't worry too much, captain," Saialar says to Serbo, "I can take on any number of Sahuagin or marauders and come out on top!"

Ralasha
2012-05-30, 04:34 PM
The octopus and otter have already closed the door and continued onwards after waving.

Demidos
2012-05-30, 11:56 PM
A startled crewman pulls out a knife at the strange sight of a walking octopus, brandishing it threateningly.

Ralasha
2012-05-31, 01:57 AM
The octopus blinks and makes frightened blubbering noises, as it backs slowly away. The sea otter drops to the floor and gets between them defensively, though neither assume an offensive stance. The octopus forms a single word using its tentacles to form the letters: 'Hi'.

Magnera
2012-05-31, 10:03 AM
Serbo, noticing the very bulky frame and swift apprehension knew immediately who the startled sailor was. He never needed to see the matching hair and eyes of the two brothers. Casina B.! It's friendly darn it. I understand your will to protect your little brother, but you also need to remember that you said it would not cause problems for the crew. It is, however, understandable that you would have that reaction. Which reminds me.
Serbo's booming voice and yet calm tone showed little concern for the slight problem at hand. He knew that Casina B. was fast to show off but slow to act, it gave his captain plenty of time to adjust for the mistake of not enlightening the crew of their new guest.
Alright you drowsy lambs! Lend me your ears! The captain shouted for the first time of the day, his voice was loud enough to slightly vibrate the metal of the ship, showing of how it could be heard from the outside. Every man stopped his task to listen to their captain. Some of the higher people amongst the ranks, like Saialar, would probably use the shout to make their presence known. Thus solidifying the captains authority on the ship.
We have a guest, two actually. Two intelligent and very curious sea animals. They are friendly and I recommenced that you keep your belongings out of reach as those tentacles are slimy. I don't want any problems, use this as a chance to recivilize yourselves! We will arrive in the port of Ara'keen within the next several days. That is all.
Serbo needed to wake up the crew anyways, a short speech was all he needed.

Demidos
2012-05-31, 07:33 PM
Casina steps back, still wary, but obeying his captain. Others are not so charitable. Volkos, an elven looking archer with a scarred eye, speaks up from behind. "I don't trust them. What makes you so sure the things are friendly? They snuck on deck, and move around, as if they were scoping out our ship...I don't like it."

Ralasha
2012-05-31, 08:01 PM
The Octopus blubbers some more as though talking to the objectionable elf.

Magnera
2012-05-31, 10:16 PM
There are three main reasons why I trust our guest. The first being.. Several unintelligible words followed the placement of his hand on his chest causing no noticeable effects but actually, there was a spell at work.

Detect Evil! Now in truth Serbo had yet to test the octopus, but he had faith in the odd creature. Perhaps it was simply luck or maybe the deity Milil had something to do with it, but Serbo knew it was safe. Also the spell did not require him to say the name of it but making it obvious to the elf that they were not malicious was the priority.

So I don't sense anything evil about either of the two, Serbo admitted. That is reason number one. Number two is the set of facts that they one:change shape, two: have indirectly admitted to following us around and three: have druidic tendencies, consisting of showing distaste to an insult to animals, an animal that went to defend its master when threatened and finally it admits that it has come here before as a mouse. The third is due to the fact that it admits as coming here before now as it could have easily lied. Serbo paused for only a second, leaving enough room to have the crew think.

Meaning, continued Serbo,if it needed to scope out the ship, it has already done so. I think it is here as a way of saying hello, our guest could have just come back as a mouse if it needed to not be seen. It wants to be known, why that is the case I don't know. However your point still stands, Volkos. Why is our friend here now? Why not come as a mouse? What is it after? These are all questions that our friend here can answer. Serbo looks at the octopus, knowing that it could escape if it needed, but if it wanted to stay then it would need to let the crew know why it was here.

Ralasha
2012-05-31, 10:23 PM
The octopus blubbers for a bit, stops, blinks, the begins writing on the wall. 'New people, curiosity. Greetings, I am blblbbbblb.'

(I would make a bluff check but it seems pointless, how would they know I'm lying?)

Magnera
2012-05-31, 10:49 PM
Serbo thought for a moment,I see... You are shy, which is understandable as most sailors... No, all beings capable of thought, have tendencies to be selfish, unforgiving and almost shallow creatures. The exceptions to this are those that have experienced the flaws of thought for them selves. Even angels can fall to the flaws that come with intelligence. You most likely encountered this trouble in the past. However, you were bold enough to come and explore. After that you probably built your confidence up to the point of now, when you finally decided to show your self. But there was still concern, what did the octopus have to gain or lose by staying here? Better yet, what is the true form of the mysterious duo?

As an after thought, do you have a way to prove that you have no intent on causing problems upon this ship? If you do then we can solve this whole problem, otherwise... Serbo's voice trailed off as he thought of a plan to counter a possible mutiny.

Ralasha
2012-05-31, 10:52 PM
'If I intended harm, there would be no ship, and would not have been for several years. Do I need to prove it so you'll believe me? I could for instance, allow that pesky creature that keeps trying to damage the hull to succeed for once, or alter a few of the hull's sections to flood the ship with water... Or split the ship in half... Or reduce it all to ashes... Or... well, I wouldn't be here with you knowing about it if I was intent on causing harm, and no one ever goes into possibly hostile territory without looking first, usually while trying to be unnoticed like a mouse... or an insect.'

Shapewood the floor to create an obstruction between itself and the knife-happy crewmen. Create Flame then let the flame disapoof while still holding it.

'I could shape this ship in half.'

Demidos
2012-06-01, 12:00 AM
Volkos still looks skeptical, but suitably cowed.
No bluff is needed. They do get sense motive, but its like a +15 on your bluff due to being an octopus...so....yeah :smallwink:

Ralasha
2012-06-01, 12:30 AM
The octopus puts the wood back into it's original form, as a section of floor. 'Alternatively I could, for instance, lock all of you in your rooms by barring the doors, make the wood as hard as iron and open holes throughout the ship so that you would drown. However, if I were going to do any of those things, I would have done so already. While you slept. First though, I would of course, have killed the captain. A nice sharp section of ironhard wood through the heart or neck would do.'

Demidos
2012-06-01, 09:48 AM
Theres a general muttering and shifting of feet among the men.

OOC: You do know, this speech isnt really making them feel very safe around you :smalleek:

RecoveringGamer
2012-06-01, 12:39 PM
Saialar puts one hand on his scimitar in unease, but otherwise makes no move to threaten.

Theroc
2012-06-01, 12:55 PM
Shar, hearing the commotion, sauntered out to observe the commotion. The aquatic creature appeared to have caused a scene with the crew by its mere presence, which only reinforced Shar's reluctancy to reveal his true self. He said nothing, merely grinning for the moment as he observed the antics. Granted, the octopus' constant mentions of how it would kill the entire crew made Shar frown, actually making him a tad more leery of their following person. Someone with that much power is dangerous, should they ever decide they no longer liked you.

Ralasha
2012-06-01, 02:17 PM
'You should however, relax, as I would never intentionally cause harm to this ship. Or you, so long as you don't attack me. Did you know I hatched right next to this ship? That's why I've been following it, when I was a baby I thought it was my mommy. What, not funny? Why do you all look so tense? I already said 'if I was going to' you know? Obviously I'm not.'

Magnera
2012-06-01, 09:41 PM
Serbo was mad, but not very. Some random octopus with a sea otter on its back has decided to practically intimidate his crew, speak of killing the ships captain and is bold enough to change the shape of the ship and then set a bit of it on fire. Why wouldn't anyone be mad?
But Serbo knew why, if it has followed the ship for several years and has no way to truly prove that it is friendly, then the druid was simply inexperienced. It made sense, it has most likely had minimal contact with the crew and probably other non-animals. Thus its lack of diplomatic skills. Well its about time Serbo gave an example of how to use diplomacy.

I know that you have no intent to harm the crew or the ship but the crew really doesn't see it that way. But I understand, no I am not saying you have a lack of intelligence, simply a lack of experience, which can be changed. You don't have anyway to prove that you have no will to harm us. Thus you gave the example that you could have done so, but have chosen not to. It works, but the crew is not exactly the most willing to work with you at this time. As any display of such power would startle all but the most hearty of sailors. If you prove your worth to the crew with time and effort then you will become a part of it. Until then you may have to live with the fact that much of the ship fears or dislikes you.

Diplomacy to have the crew like the new crew member.[roll0] (11 ranks + 6synergy + 1trait + 5vest of legends + 6cha mod=29)

Ralasha
2012-06-01, 09:59 PM
((It didn't set fire to any part of the ship. It held the flame, and them made it dissipate.)) The octopus reforms directly into a bird, and sits on the otter's back. "That's because you're all stupid. Look at you, someone powerful comes along and oh no! They would have killed us all if they wanted to so lets be hostile, and treat them as though they have done so! Yes, because that makes perfect sense. If I wanted to be hostile there is in fact, very little you could do about it, and to be entirely honest, waving a knife at me doesn't exactly make me want to be friendly. I even had to change my form to talk instead of writing. It's very inefficient. You stupid humans and your xenophobia. If it's different kill it huh? Ever wonder what happened to all of those wonderful races that used to protect the world? Or why the good dragons don't bother with you anymore? I know why because I'm experiencing it! You wish to say you can understand why they are frightened? I doubt it, you don't seem either panicky or stupid. I'm leaving, you idiots can fight amongst yourselves, if you get a hole in your hull from that Ammonite it's your own problem. See if the next guy helps you either when you greet it like this. You mortals are all as bad as the drow. Chew on it. I'm going back outside." Shape hole in hull fly out, become octopus, shape wood the hull back into proper shape. (Last spell of that level today.) Go down under the water, and sleep in usual spot while clinging to boat.

RecoveringGamer
2012-06-02, 12:41 AM
Saialar shouts at the druid as it leaves the ship, "Insult me when there's steel backing your words, coward!"

Suddenly, Saialar recoils in mental shock as he realizes that he unconsciously transformed into his hybrid form when he shouted at the druid. He darts his head from side to side, then turns and storms off in a fury in the opposite direction.

It's not like his therianthropy was a secret. Everyone on the vessel who hasn't seen him in this form had at least heard of it. But losing control like that... embarrassing.

Damned druid... storms into our ship without welcome, goes as it pleases, flaunts its supposed power, insults us, and calls US out for uncouth behavior! I've fought my whole life for acceptance in a world where shapechangers are mistrusted at best, how DARE it call me a xenophobe and a fool!

Saialar's thoughts drop into an incoherent anger, as he stalks the corridors of the vessel. He doesn't bother to shift back into human form. After sweeping the lower deck, he shouts in a final fit of anger before halting at the underwater exit.

Without much thought but considerably calmer, he exits the vessel and assumes his shark form, stalking the exterior.

Ralasha
2012-06-02, 01:47 PM
summon 4 1d4 piranha. Send them after Saialar. Go after him myself, with 4 more piranha. ((The 1d4 is the HD.))

He has to deal with 8 Piranha, and me.

Initiating Grapple:
Touch Attacks: [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

If one hits Grapple: [roll8]

Demidos
2012-06-02, 02:07 PM
Im not sure how visible you are sleeping attached to the ship, so you and RecoveringGamer figure that out

As Saialar swims his loops about the ship, still seething in silent rage, he notices that the two dwarven ships they were escorting are slowing, and begin swinging away from his own ship. As they move, their cannons fire up and ballistas rise from their sterns. They seem to be responding to some threat you cant see. You try to peer into the gloom, but they seem to be headed towards a large dark shape that you really cant make out clearly.

Ralasha
2012-06-02, 02:08 PM
Can Octopus hear them firing?

RecoveringGamer
2012-06-02, 04:07 PM
Saialar takes note of the Octopus, but upon seeing the dwarven ships breaking off Saialar rushes back from where he exited the ship, his anger snapped instantly by this new threat. "Captain!" he shouts as he emerges into the vessel, "Company ahead!"

Magnera
2012-06-03, 05:35 PM
Upon Saialar's words Serbo does not change, he does not flinch or disrupt his disposition. He remains calm and shows only what any captain should, an exemplary attitude consisting of an iron will, strength and enough backbone to give orders. What kind of company? How is our charge? Both of them!

Serbo knew this was a possible attack, but also that he was safe inside the ship, and that those he sent to check wouldn't be. He had a choice, go with numbers or go with speed. He would need one or the other but could not chose both. He made his decision and with it he did three things, cast a swift spell for inspiring his crew, barked orders and start to sing.

"All men get to your battle stations and prepare for immediate attack. Casina L. go with your brother to the front of the ship, give me a second pair of eyes, on your way there adjust the crewman cannon for horizontal launch. Volkos! Get your aquatic crossbow and your battle mates, then prepare for launch via crewman cannon." Serbo's tone fluctuated with his commands, forming a very odd but just as invigorating song.

Serbo chose speed and he knew the two perfect men to do the job.
"Shar! Launch from the crewman cannon and check the closest dwarven submarine. Saialar, your faster than Shar, check the farthest submarine! If there are problems that you can't handle get back here! Also signal for back up if you even find problems. Remember just get any two metal items and bang them together as hard as you can or if your are close just travel into our light's range and hold a closed fist."

Magnera
2012-06-03, 05:38 PM
The quotation marks are to represent singing. I casted Inspirational Boost and activated my bardic music. Also due to Words of Creation I take [roll0] points of damage.

RecoveringGamer
2012-06-03, 06:43 PM
"Already on it, Captain!" Saialar shouts, running to the cannon. He jumps in while switching to shark form, and speeds towards the farthest ship.

Ralasha
2012-06-04, 01:52 AM
the octopus follows the sharkman bullet out of curiosity.

Demidos
2012-06-04, 02:07 PM
Saialar shoots off towards the rocky bluff as the ship turns to fall in behind him. Ahead looms a rock wall, silent and forbidding. As he rounds the corner, he sees a sight that he, in all likelihood, would have never expected. In the red glow of everburning torches, a small group of huddled, cloaked figures stand around a young woman, who is tied to a large rock. The woman looks to be a sea elf, with beautiful flowing locks. The whole scene obviously looks like a ritual sacrifice of some sort - red pentagrams are drawn, and there are strange symbols lying all around.

Roll init, and take your actions (suprise round (although not really :smalltongue:))

Theroc
2012-06-04, 05:13 PM
Shar nodded and dashed to work, his rapier in hand as he moved to the cannon, crawling inside for launch toward the nearer ship to discover the source of troubles. Once fired, he chuckled and rolling, causing a twisting trail to follow in his wake for anyone observing to note. Once there, Shar assessed the situation and prepared to act.

Didn't know if I needed to roll init or not, but here it is.
[roll0]

Ralasha
2012-06-04, 06:03 PM
As the octopus is following Saialar: initiative: [roll0]

Octopus becomes huge in size, and descends upon the elven maiden from above.

RecoveringGamer
2012-06-04, 06:43 PM
Saialar shoots forward, unleashing his fury and slamming the forwardmost cultist with his mighty tail

Initiative
[roll0]

Rage, partial charge with slam attack, attempting to multigrab

Attack
[roll1]

Damage
[roll2]
*should be an extra 4 damage on this value

Grapple
[roll3]

Magnera
2012-06-05, 12:20 AM
Captain! Confirmed transformation via Saialar! Shouted Casina.B, his little brother pointing out the same thing only moments afterwards.
"You boys hear that? Launch!" Commanded the captain, but in the mean time he activated a badge on his chest giving his music even more power. Then he cast an odd spell, with it nothing changed, or at least to everyone on the ship it seemed. In truth his voice was amplified to great extents everyone with in two hundred or so feet could easily hear his music. And soon, his orders.

Volkos and his two henchmen crammed into the crewman cannon and launched themselves into the battle knowing that they were to take shots at those who were busy with Saialar or Shar.

Init= [roll0] Also they get a +10 bonus, everyone else gets a +8. Next round I plan on positioning the ship so that I can command the dwarven subs to attack. Also I activate my badge of valor and my spell amplify.

Demidos
2012-06-11, 02:13 AM
As the two rocket towards the cultists, making an odd pair indeed (a giant shark and a giant octopus), they suddenly see, all along the floor of the canyon into which they so quickly barrelled, dozens of figures which stand up, crossbows in hand, and let loose a volley. The shafts tear through the water, leaving swirls of bubbles in their wakes. As the shafts reach the two animals, many of them also vanish in trails of bubbles, but some connect for real.

Okay. Im not going to nerf archers that badly, because I feel bad for the archers aboard. Therefore. Ranged weapons have damage reduced by one size category when they have the aquatic weapon enhancement (as opposed to the regular rules, where even a millimeter of water deflects all arrows). It costs 500 gp. Those who are archers get it free because i'm coming up with this as I go.

Battle instructions:
Saialar: Roll 1d6 to hit a cultist (out of 6, one is real. I'll give you that metagame so you understand whats happening)
Octopus: Roll 1d5 unless Saialar already hit him. It seems reasonable that you wouldnt attack the same target.

Bolts hitting/missing Saialar
To hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] Electric

To hit: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4] + [roll5] Electric

To hit: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7] + [roll8] Electric
Bolts hitting/missing Octy

To hit: [roll9]
Damage: [roll10] + [roll11] Electric

To hit: [roll12]
Damage: [roll13] + [roll14] Electric

To hit: [roll15]
Damage: [roll16] + [roll17] Electric

Saialar, You feel a pressure on your mind, as if someone were trying to wring out your brain (Will Save)

RecoveringGamer
2012-06-11, 03:27 PM
None of the arrows manage to score a wound. :P

Will Save
[roll0]

Ralasha
2012-06-11, 04:02 PM
Octopus attempts multi-grab-action!

Touch Attack1: [roll0]
Touch Attack2: [roll1]
Touch Attack3: [roll2]
Touch Attack4: [roll3]

Grapple1: [roll4]
Grapple2: [roll5]
Grapple3: [roll6]
Grapple4: [roll7]

Each grapple deals 1d8+8 damage if successful.

damage 1:[roll8]
damage 2:[roll9]
damage 3:[roll10]
damage 4:[roll11]

Octopus grabs enemies and bangs them on hard stuff, such as each other... and it's-self.

RecoveringGamer
2012-06-11, 04:43 PM
Forgot the d6 roll. [roll0]

RecoveringGamer
2012-06-12, 03:06 AM
Suddenly, Saialar convulses, shaking from side to side for a few moments. He then gains a fell gleam in his eye, and darts towards Shar, teeth bared and ready to strike his ally.

Charge attack against Shar. Slam and Bite attack, attempting to multigrab with the slam (The tail. I'm a warshaper, it can bend :O).

Will Save to stop before attacking
[roll0]
If success, disregard the following rolls.

Bite
[roll1]
[roll2]
Slam
[roll3]
[roll4]
Grapple
[roll5]

Ralasha
2012-06-13, 12:46 AM
Octopus continues to bash the four enemies in it's grip:
1: [roll0]
2: [roll1]
3: [roll2]
4: [roll3]

Theroc
2012-06-17, 11:44 PM
Shar's eyes widened as he recovered from the launch, only to see Saialar shooting towards him with a menacing glance, before stopping short. It seemed whatever was the issue was being taken care of by a giant, menacing-looking octopus monster. Shar... was unsure if it was the octopus that had been on board, but it seemed everything was kosher now.

That left Shar to return to the ship to report, and he turned to return to the ship to do so.

Demidos
2012-06-19, 01:33 AM
As Shar turned back to report to the ship, more crossbow bolts arced up from the figures lined up along the gloomy sea floor.

V.S. Saialar
Attack[roll0]
Damage [roll1] + [roll2] Electric
Attack[roll3]
Damage [roll4] + [roll5] Electric
Attack[roll6]
Damage [roll7] + [roll8] Electric

Vs Octy
Attack[roll9]
Damage [roll10] + [roll11] Electric
Attack[roll12]
Damage [roll13] + [roll14] Electric
Attack[roll15]
Damage [roll16] + [roll17] Electric

Theroc
2012-06-20, 06:31 PM
Shar's eye suddenly widened as he turned and took a double-take at the kraken before he turned and swam back to the ship with great haste.

Sorry for the delay, rl stuff got me occupied. Do I need to roll anything to swim faster or is that covered under my swimspeed?

Ralasha
2012-06-20, 09:42 PM
Blblblllb'b'b'blb picks up the sacrifice, and while carewfully shielding her slowly makes its way over to the ship. (bam, saialar and octopus and anyone else allied and nearby see a burst of verdant green light from octopus. Enjoy Fast Healing 3 for 8 rounds (Third level spell slot, I'm level 8).

RecoveringGamer
2012-06-24, 02:30 PM
Saialar moves back to the druid, ready to defend it and the sacrifice.

Aid Another on Ralasha's AC. Succeeds if this isn't a 1
[roll0]

Magnera
2012-07-03, 10:30 PM
Cap'n! Sailar and company are returning! Shouted Casina B his voice echoing out of the ship thanks to the captain's spell.

Serbo maneuvered the ship closer to the cultists so that his crew mates can gather their new found cargo, a beautiful sea elf of some kind. She was however being brought by that crazy druid, or a very smart octopus... At the thought the captain shook his head. Of course it would be the druid.

Ready the hatch men! We have a women coming on board!
The men look confused but slightly delighted, one could see their happiness and moral rise at the thought of seeing a women again. And i don't want a repeat of what happened with that animal!

This could be a set up,I never saw what happened to my top officer but it cant be good. Worst of all it could probably happen again...

Taking no chances Serbo prepared himself for an assault from the inside of the ship. As soon as the girl takes hostile action a grease spell to her hands will do the trick of limiting her fighting abilities.

So im piloting the ship and reading an action for casting grease. Good luck and sorry about my lateness i had to work over time at my summer job.

Demidos
2012-07-17, 02:36 PM
The hail of crossbows continued, beginning to seem almost desperate as they seem to be doing little damage. Spears of electricity arced down at random from the dwarvish ships, but they buried themselves harmlessly in the ground. As the small group approaches the ship, a sudden wall of ghostly forms appear between them and the ship. The forms are humanoid, but vague, semi-translucent bodies of rotting pirates. They shake their glowing scimitars ominously.

Crossbow bolts

At Shar
[roll0]
[roll1]+[roll2] electric

[roll3]
[roll4]+[roll5] electric

At Sailar

[roll6]
[roll7]+[roll8] electric

[roll9]
[roll10]+[roll11] electric

At The Octopus

[roll12]
[roll13]+[roll14] electric

[roll15]
[roll16]+[roll17] electric

Demidos
2012-07-17, 02:39 PM
Crit confirm
[roll0]
[roll1]

Ralasha
2012-07-17, 03:25 PM
Octopus continues towards the ship through the scary ghostly figures as though unable to see them.

Demidos
2012-07-18, 05:54 PM
Octopus, will save

Demidos
2012-08-31, 02:49 AM
Something in the deep moves, and reaches up to grab octopus, while a dozen creatures appear surrounding the sailors on deck. A revolting fishlike amphibian with four pulsating blueblack orifices lining the bottom of its body moves, flailing the tentacles from the orifices.
It had invisiblity up.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Roll 4 DC 19 fort saves, please.

Ralasha
2012-08-31, 08:20 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
((Lame, next time I'm not holding back in combat...))

Demidos
2012-08-31, 12:32 PM
The saves are only if the respective attacks hit you, which im not sure if they did.

Demidos
2012-09-21, 01:55 AM
I hereby proclaim this a new game.

Ralasha, i dont have a character name nor backstory, and your character doesnt have the leadership feat. Could you put that in please? Thanks.

Ralasha
2012-09-21, 06:08 AM
Fixed my feat with a flaw, and added a name.

Demidos
2012-09-21, 12:25 PM
Alaya knelt in the center of the temple, silently contemplating the bas relief of Frellon, God of Honor, as she waited for the priest return. Since her exile from her home of Snow-in-the-Light, or Gusrk, in the common language, she had worked on and off for the church of Frellon, both as a diplomat and as a warrior. One small town owed her a life-debt, from when she had protected them from that one goblin tribe in the night. Ah, their blood had flowed from her blade. Her warriors, individual men and women had made her proud, warriors and hedgers alike. Indeed, that had been the night she had met Sectuus. She had, in fact, almost killed Sectuus, believing her to be one of the goblins, and only the miss of her ponderous hand and a half sword had saved Sectuus. But now the priest was returning, and her mind focused again.

Since you dont appear to have a backstory -- Alaya is the daughter of a minor noble in a mixed tribe of half and full giants. As she had an older brother, at 18 she performed the dance of blades with him, and lost, losing her status, for there cannot be two leaders of the tribe. Leaving the tribe, she journeyed south from the Peaks of Aton in the far, far, north, near the very rim of the (flat) world. Having performed odd jobs for the church for the last few years, along with some freelancing, she has gathered a small band of likeminded warriors and adepts (known as hedgers). (I suggest you think of a name for such a group. Now you have just returned from a mission (killing a shadow that had been lurking in a cave near a well travelled road, if you were curious). You have the option to continue to take quests/assignments from the church or strike out on your own. Either way, the church will provide free accomodations, as well as food and drink. Your men from leadership are staying in a small house that the church owns in the town in which you are based (4000 inhabitants). You may assign NPC classes as you see fit to them -- dont make more than a couple or three adepts. As a final note, I'd like a spell list for the wizard, and an explanation of how all first and second level spells are known (is this a pathfinder thing?). Also, Pictures of both would be great, if you have a free moment, as it makes it easier to visualize.

The priest enters the room, a bustling, easygoing fellow named Burl. Youre back quickly! The Abbot will be pleased!

Ralasha
2012-09-21, 07:45 PM
Alaya stands and faces Burl. "Hello Burl."

Demidos
2012-09-22, 07:55 PM
Burl moves around busily, talking quickly, and nervously. "So, are you going to stay? Rumors have been being told of the war near Markien, and there have been bandits on the road. Theres one particularly nasty halforc with a few men with him that believes himself the master of a certain swamp. And on top of all that, lord Nasher is starting to demand higher taxes of the church. Can you believe his nerve?!

Ralasha
2012-09-23, 12:49 AM
"Many churches have gold, silver, electrum, and even platinum adorning their places of worship. Are you saying you don't find such displays distasteful? Would such wealth not go better towards other goals? Feeding the hungry, housing the homeless, even starting businesses. Businesses would at least improve the general wealth in any given area, while simultaneously improving the income of the church, which could then be recycled, allowing for greater expansion."

She paces along with him.

"I think I'll go take care of this half-orc first. Such things cannot be allowed. They can be dangerous. I'll check him out. If he has good intent, and action... then I think I'll leave him be. If he's tyrannical, or a threat to the common folk, I'll end him. "

"Actually... Are the bandits nearby?"

Demidos
2012-09-23, 03:50 PM
Burl looks a little taken aback. "Are you saying that we should not honor the gods? They are higher beings -- they give us so much, it would be disrespectful not to do the same. Just as the shepherd doesn't give his clothes to warm the sheep, so too it is with gods and men. And additionally, it impresses the locals. It gives them something greater than themselves to believe in." he says in a way that suddenly reminds you of his southern origins.
"Besides, Frellon does not have that problem in so great a way -- as you can see, our adornments are bronze, though admittedly fairly well worked.

He pauses for thought.

The bandits are up and to the northeast of Sumra. They seem fairly well organized -- we haven't actually managed to kill any yet. They take from only the richest shipments. The half-orc is on the Contar-Sumra road, a score and a half miles to the south.

Ralasha
2012-09-23, 10:26 PM
She nods. "I was not necessarily speaking of this church in specific. Are they violent? Do these bandits kill unnecessarily?"

Demidos
2012-09-24, 02:03 AM
Burl shrugs. "That is why we are followers of Frellon. The bandits, in fact, havent killed anyone that we know of. The merchants that pass through with richer loads simply report blacking out, to awake hours later wearing only cloth sacks.

Its almost funny." He says, with a mischevious grin.

Ralasha
2012-09-24, 06:19 AM
Alaya allows herself a small grin. "It is indeed funny. I think I'll go and take a look into these occurrences. It may be that this half-orc deserves his domain. I will see how he treats his people. I would like to request two horses from the church. I think I will also visit the bandits, and ask them not to be so thorough, lest they draw the attention of some overzealous paladin."

Demidos
2012-09-25, 02:55 AM
The horses will be provided. Will you be taking your men? If not, I would like to pass on a request from the abbot to use your men on guard duty. We have resources, but they are limited.

You should also take care with the half orc. He is not the friendly bandit the others are...is there anything else?

Ralasha
2012-09-25, 07:50 AM
"Would the church prefer I take my men, or rather use them for guards? If you would rather I take them... I'm not certain what I shall do, aside from buying everyone a backpack and ten rations."

Demidos
2012-09-27, 10:37 AM
Either is acceptable. Leaving them here will be fine, When will you be leaving? As he speaks, he glances out the window at the sinking orange orb in the sky.

Couldve sworn I posted....its about 5-6 in the afternoon.

Ralasha
2012-09-27, 02:53 PM
"Tomorrow, around sunrise. I think I'll also go get a map."

Demidos
2012-09-28, 12:32 PM
I will copy one out for you myself tonight. Exactly how large of a map did you want? And with that, good night.

Ralasha
2012-09-28, 12:43 PM
It's mostly intended as an IC device.

Demidos
2012-09-29, 10:41 PM
Not exactly sure what you mean by that. Do you want an actual map? Also, could you please put OOC conversation in a spoiler? It helps me keep in rp mentality. Thanks. :smallsmile:

Ralasha
2012-09-30, 02:20 PM
The map is for my character, so that she has a means of navigation over land. Thus: an IC device.

Demidos
2012-10-01, 02:57 AM
Rest the night, and prepare however you wish. The horses are waiting in the courtyard. You can engage people in conversation, or leave, as you wish.

Ralasha
2012-10-01, 06:55 AM
Alaya heads out of the temple, and to the cartographer for a map covering this area, and the area she is yet to travel. She then heads to her resting place, and sleeps for the night.

Demidos
2012-10-03, 01:27 AM
The map costs a gold coin, but it seems a decent representation of the surrounding area, assuming its accurate. The next morning, Burl brings up her horses, a matched pair of light horses. The bandits are that way, and the half orc is down that road. Good luck, whichever route you take. Take care. He blushes a bit.

Ralasha
2012-10-06, 09:02 PM
"You as well." She gets her cohort, and heads first to the bandits.

Demidos
2012-10-09, 04:04 PM
Alaya canters down the road, her friend nearby. Reaching a bridge, Alaya feels a slight twinge of unease - the last town they passed was a good seven miles back, a fair distance should anything happen. And she would be entering the bandit territory soon.
Spot/Listen, and you may take other actions as well if you wish.

Ralasha
2012-10-09, 04:49 PM
Alaya suggests to her friend that they both cast protection from evil, in ortder to prevent any attempts at mental influence. Alaya then casts said spell upon herself.

Demidos
2012-10-10, 12:39 PM
Checks Please?

Ralasha
2012-10-10, 09:02 PM
What checks would those be?

Demidos
2012-10-11, 01:26 AM
The spot and listen I requested in the last post.

Ralasha
2012-10-11, 02:04 AM
Alaya Perception: [roll0]

Follower Perception: [roll1]

Demidos
2012-10-11, 04:43 PM
Right. Perception. Thats what I meant.

Dm rolls, dont open
[roll0]

You notice nothing out of the ordinary about the bridge.

Ralasha
2012-10-11, 05:05 PM
Right. Now I know enough to do whatever may be necessary to increase follower's perception in the future.(Which is why I always roll those which need remain secret in seperate thread for secret rollings.

Having cast protection from evil Alaya now casts detect magic, since they are so very close to a perfect ambush point.

Demidos
2012-10-11, 05:48 PM
Alaya detects nothing.

Ralasha
2012-10-11, 05:57 PM
Alaya continues to concentrate on detecting magical auras as they ride.

Demidos
2012-10-11, 10:57 PM
Alaya continues on the road unbothered. As the bridge disappears in the distance, she has time to breathe a sigh of relief, before a sudden jolt hits her senses. A snap sense of a magical aura. She just has time to react as arrows arch into the path.

Notes you might find helpful:
Its been 3 minutes since the bridge.
The arrows come from both sides of the path. You count four arrows, evenly split.
They get a suprise round, but you can act as well as you had detect magic up. Your follower doesnt.
The road is 20 feet wide, and there is a faiirly dense forest on either side.
I'd like a link to the frost half giant thing sometime.
Roll initiative.
Also, please tell me your characters arent gestalt?

Ralasha
2012-10-11, 10:58 PM
Alaya dismounts. They are. We discussed it, and you said it was acceptable.

Demidos
2012-10-12, 12:52 AM
My bad, I forgot. Mind answering the rest...?

To make it clear, the only reason im not rolling attack rolls yet is because im waiting on your initiative roll.

Ralasha
2012-10-12, 12:57 AM
Initiative: [roll0]

It's a 3p book for the h-g template. actual book. Templates and Races Revisited.