PDA

View Full Version : Under-Dragon (3.5 Race)

demonickin0
2012-05-27, 01:47 PM
UNDER-DRAGON
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3300/3475052486_9e5320a72e.jpg
History: Under-dragons were a large group of Dragonborn who fled underground during a siege of their homeland and there they bred with the drow and became the perfect night predator. This tainted dragon blooded race praises Lolth who they believe to have kept them safe in the underdark.
Language: Common, Undercommon, Draconic.
Adventurers: As an experiment for their demented host Lolth, Under-Dragons travel as warriors in the name of her demonic throne.
UNDER-DRAGON RACIAL TRAITS
• +3 Charisma, +2 Strength, +2 Intelligence
• +1 Natural Armor bonus to AC
• Medium: As Medium creatures, Under-dragon’s have no special
bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Under-dragon base land speed is 30 feet.
• Immunity to sleep spells and similar magical effects.
• Darkvision Vision up to 75 feet.
• +2 racial bonus on Intimidate, Search, Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Religion)
• Dragonborn Fury (Ex): When a Dragonborn takes damage that would make them bloodied (50% or less hit points), they enter a rage that gives them a temporary +2 insight bonus to Strength until they are no longer bloodied or have not fought for at least 1 hour. Dragonborn cannot use skills or abilities that require patience or concentration (such as moving silently or casting a spell) while in this fury.
• Dragon Breath (Su): When creating a Under-dragon, choose 1 energy type (acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic) and 1 type of breath weapon (15 ft. cone or 30 ft. Line ) as your breath weapon. These selections cannot be changed after they have been chosen. Once per encounter, as a standard action, a Under-dragon can use their breath weapon to deal 1d4 damage to all within the area of the breath (Reflex save for half: DC 10+1/2 Under-dragon HD+Constitution modifier). At 5th level the damage increases to 1d8, and increases by 1d8 every five levels thereafter.
• Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—dancing lights, darkness, fairie fire. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + Under-dragon’s Cha modifier + spell level.
• Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic, and Undercommon
• Favored Class: Clerics and Blackguard.
• Level Adjustment: +2

RedWarlock
2012-05-27, 02:38 PM
Nice artwork. I know I've seen the sketch, but I didn't recall seeing that version of the color piece. (Was it a recolor? I could swear the one I saw wasn't black..)

Couple issues I noticed, though:

• +3 Charisma, +2 Strength, +2 Intelligence

Ability modifiers are usually even numbers.

• Darkvision Vision up to 75 feet.

Usually this comes in multiples of 30ft. So either 60ft or 90ft.

• Dragonborn Fury (Ex): When a Dragonborn takes damage that would make them bloodied (50% or less hit points), they enter a rage that gives them a temporary +2 insight bonus to Strength until they are no longer bloodied or have not fought for at least 1 hour. Dragonborn cannot use skills or abilities that require patience or concentration (such as moving silently or casting a spell) while in this fury.

So, basically, this means the character has a lot of trouble being a spellcaster of any type, since they're automatically sorta-raging if bloodied? Tough job there, especially for this being as low a bonus as it is. Maybe if it scaled up with levels, it might be worth more.

Maybe consider making it 'can enter rage' when they're first bloodied, rather than must?

• Dragon Breath (Su): When creating a Under-dragon, choose 1 energy type (acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic) and 1 type of breath weapon (15 ft. cone or 30 ft. Line ) as your breath weapon. These selections cannot be changed after they have been chosen. Once per encounter, as a standard action, a Under-dragon can use their breath weapon to deal 1d4 damage to all within the area of the breath (Reflex save for half: DC 10+1/2 Under-dragon HD+Constitution modifier). At 5th level the damage increases to 1d8, and increases by 1d8 every five levels thereafter.

Nice ability, though a bit weak.

• Favored Class: Clerics and Blackguard.

Unless you have a base-class version of Blackguard, PrCs aren't generally expected to have multiclassing XP costs (though I know it's one of those things..), and I've never seen a favored prestige class before.

Good idea, though a little weak for the LA, in my opinion. With those first two numbers normalized, MAYBE a +1. If you want it to be worth the +2, I'd bump a couple things. Drow have their +2 for having positive-total stats AND spell resistance, and even there some people say the LA isn't worth it.