PDA

View Full Version : Problems with MMO's! Which one should we play...?

Krazzman
2012-05-27, 02:49 PM
Hello again Playground!

I got a more or less serious problem on the topic of MMO's.

We, my Girlfriend and me, have come to a problem.
I played RO before and WoW together with her. Now we tested Aion, Rift and for the last month Tera.

We got to the point that I for myself want to play more or less alone instead of with her because the games itself either aren't fun for me or her.

Now we seek an alternative solution to going back to WoW and begin with a fresh start. (We ditched it because of our guild at that point was very stressful and our raidlead was... jeah let's just say it sucked...)

Got any ideas to what we should try? We don't want to test diablo or something like LoL. More something like WoW where you can accomplish your intended role.

Hope you can help us.

Sith_Happens
2012-05-27, 07:39 PM
So just to be clear, this is just an issue of not being able to find a game you both like, not one of you actually losing the desire to party up with her in-game? Because game recommendations I can give, relationship advice not so much.:smalltongue:

Anyways, if you're looking for something with the usual EQ/WoW combat style, you can't go wrong with SW:TOR; take that gameplay formula (for the most part), add not one but eight amazing storylines ala Mass Effect or Dragon Age, and that pretty much sums it up. Just be careful which server you roll on; there are quite a few too many right now so not all of them are up to acceptable peak concurrent user numbers. You can find a top twenty list here (http://www.torstatus.net/), or alternatively there's an unofficial GiantITP guild on Rubat Crystal (US-East RP-PvE).

If you want something with a measure of familiarity that also mixes things up quite a bit, then Guild Wars 2 will be where it's at once that releases late this year.

Krazzman
2012-05-28, 10:38 AM
you can't go wrong with SW:TOR;

If you want something with a measure of familiarity that also mixes things up quite a bit, then Guild Wars 2 will be where it's at once that releases late this year.

Sad but true: We don't like Star Wars as MMO... for a movie they were "good" but OTOH we saw it through a friend of us and don't seem to like it.

GW2 is a game I won't really appreciate according to the news...

Is there anything else except for those two?

Maxios
2012-05-28, 12:09 PM
Dungeons and Dragons Online.

psilontech
2012-05-28, 12:12 PM
Not traditional mmo stuff, but some fun games you can play together:

Diablo II or III - Great fun, although Diablo's minions WILL grow stronger...:smallcool:

World of Tanks - You can both platoon up and grind your way up through the ranks while watching each others backs.

More traditional fare, and free:

Startrek Online - Space combat is fun, but the ground combat is a little too MMO cookie-cutter for my tastes.

Dungeons and Dragons Online - Standard MMO fare.

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-05-28, 12:34 PM
I'll toss out my usual City of Heroes suggestion. Free to play, crazy amounts of character customisation, a very cool setting and and a huge and very flexible yet decently balanced set of character build options.

J.Gellert
2012-05-28, 01:33 PM
I'm partial to Age of Conan, awesome world (lore and locations), great music, interesting combat, but it's quite different from WoW (as different as standard-style MMOs can be, I suppose).

Kudaku
2012-05-28, 01:42 PM
Seconding Dungeons & Dragons Online. It's a great game, the vast majority of the content is based on groups right from the get-go, and the community is pretty damn good compared to most MMOs out there.

Eldariel
2012-05-28, 03:09 PM
Lord of the Rings Online is pretty well done; if the world interests you, you might want to check out the F2P portion. If you do give it a go, try playing it to level ~20 (about 5-10 hours of playtime) to give the Skirmish instances a go. It has a mature playerbase mostly (at least on the RP servers) and good amounts of free content, and the pay-to-play option isn't too expensive either. And it does a very decent job of bringing Middle Earth to life, as close as you can get in an MMO.

Pronounceable
2012-05-28, 10:49 PM
I'm partial to Age of Conan, awesome world (lore and locations), great music, interesting combat, but it's quite different from WoW (as different as standard-style MMOs can be, I suppose).

While it's great as a game, it has all the standard misognystic undertones you'd expect from old pulp fiction (which I don't mind at all) so it might not appeal to certain kinds of women. Then again I've seen a lot of married couples over the years so it's not a definite thing. Also it's an "old" game with a small remaining playerbase but there's a lot of transients due to f2p.

But gameplay is best and world is awesome. Also also there's fatalities (which might also be turn off for some but :smallsigh: at them anti-cartoon-violence people)