PDA

View Full Version : The Dungeon - Tegannie

Eonas
2012-05-28, 12:29 AM
The dungeon is approximately 5 miles south from the town as the crow flies, or so you've heard. Is there anything you want do in the town before you set off?

Tegannie
2012-05-28, 08:36 AM
Buy a few days worth of trail rations. Nothing other than that.

Eonas
2012-05-28, 12:36 PM
Apologies for the delay, but I just realized a bunch of things... Did you ever stat up your wolf? Also, I believe the weapon damages/attack bonuses are skewed left, right, and center. I might be wrong, but could you please take another look at them nonetheless? It would be appreciated, too, if you added the GP values for your items.

Meantime, I forgot to make an overworld map, so I've gotta do that first.

Tegannie
2012-05-28, 12:53 PM
You may be looking at the wrong sheet. My attack bonuses and damages are correct, plus I've already included the gp for my items (except for the trail rations, which I just added).
And I think I finished the wolf. A level 1 druid's animal companion is not much different than a normal animal. They don't get bonus HD, Str or Dex until level 4, I think.

Here's the sheets:
Natalie (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=402389)
Sneg (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=402911)

Eonas
2012-05-28, 01:33 PM
Oh, okay, sorry about that. Didn't notice either the GP or the Animal Companion. But I don't see whence the +5 attack bonus for the spear, or why the scimitar damage is only 1d6 instead of 1d6+3.

EDIT: Whoops, just noticed Weapon Focus (Spear). Nevermind.

Tegannie
2012-05-28, 01:47 PM
ah, ok. And I didn't notice the damage on the scimitar. I fixed that.

Eonas
2012-05-28, 02:44 PM
Done the overland map! Phew.

First of all, I'm assuming you set off at dawn. Am I correct?

You cross through farmland, then through sparce and medium forest (you can vaguely see hills to the east of you as you cross through the forest), and eventually wind up in plains (the entire journey takes around one-and-a-half hours). The goblins' tracks are easy to follow back to a hilly area slightly to the east of where you wind up, into a cave existing in a particularly large hill. The cave is fairly small (10 feet across and around 7 feet high), but it seems to go down a long ways. There's a rather tough looking goblin sitting at the entrance to the cave. He looks like he's supposed to be doing guard duty, but doesn't seem like he's paying much attention.

What do you do? If you have any other questions first, feel free to ask them.

Tegannie
2012-05-28, 03:17 PM
Yes, I leave in the morning. What weapons does the goblin have?

Eonas
2012-05-28, 03:34 PM
A morningstar (on the ground at the moment) and a shortbow slung across his shoulder. You don't know how many arrows he has.

Tegannie
2012-05-28, 03:42 PM
Natalie, followed by Sneg, will walk to within 50ft of the goblin, if she's not already, pulling out her sling and a bullet. She'll try to lob a rock at the goblin.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Afterwards, she'll put away her sling, grumbling about her shaking hands, and get out her spear.

I know I can hit something when I'm close to it

Eonas
2012-05-28, 03:53 PM
Do you want to try and sneak to your position to get a surprise round?

Rolls behind the DM screen, don't view.

Init:
Natalie: [roll0]
Goblin: [roll1]

Spot/Move Silently:
Natalie: [roll2]
Sneg: [roll3]
Goblin's Spot-check: [roll4]

Tegannie
2012-05-28, 03:59 PM
Sure, I'll try to sneak.

Eonas
2012-05-28, 04:09 PM
Okay, and what does Sneg do?

Some more rolls that I forgot to make last time (again, don't view):
Wolf-init: [roll0]

Tegannie
2012-05-28, 04:22 PM
He'll sneak with me. After the sling shot, we'll try to get to the goblin (sneaking if possible) with Sneg on the other side of him from me.

When I can, I'm going to attack with my spear. Sneg will attack, too.

Attack (me):
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]

Attack (Sneg):
[roll2]
Damage:
[roll3]
Trip attempt, if attack is successful:
[roll4]

Eonas
2012-05-28, 04:34 PM
You miss the goblin by a long shot, and the sling bullet plinks harmlessly at the cave wall. The goblin starts up, peering around him. "Grishtakh Nabog?" He unslings his bow, preparing to shoot.

More DM rolls:

Spot: [roll0]
Attack if he succeeds: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Don't move yet, I need to know what he rolls before I finish his turn.

EDIT: Gah, forgot to make some more rolls. I made those in real life, in order not to have to make yet another forum post.

He appears not to see you. "Gr-grishtakh Nabog?" he repeats, a tremor of fear appearing in his voice.

You and your wolf charge up to him, both attacking and hitting him. He screams in pain, turns around, and runs.

Make attack and damage rolls for both Natalie and Sneg.

Tegannie
2012-05-28, 04:53 PM
Attack (me):
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]

Attack (Sneg):
[roll2]
Damage:
[roll3]
Trip attempt, if attack is successful:
[roll4]

Eonas
2012-05-28, 04:57 PM
Sneg's teeth snap out at the goblin, but only succeed at ripping out a portion of his pant-legs. Your spear, however, finds its way into the goblin's flesh, and the goblin collapses to the floor without a sound.

Out of curiosity: [roll0]

Cha-ching! 600 XP. What do you do now?

Tegannie
2012-05-28, 05:24 PM
Go to the cave entrance and look in using darkvision

Eonas
2012-05-28, 06:10 PM
You see rocks, the remains of a campfire, chicken scraps... about 10 feet in, the cave narrows until it's 5 feet high by 5 feet wide, sloping downwards.

By the way, I just want to clarify ahead of time: I won't simply tell you "you get 500 GP, a masterwork axe, and a bloodstone" the way I tell you how many XP you get. You'll have to look for those on your own.

Tegannie
2012-05-28, 06:33 PM
Remembering that she doesn't have a rogue to loot the bodies, Natalie goes back to the goblin body to search it.

Search:
[roll0]

Eonas
2012-05-28, 06:50 PM
You find a shortbow, 20 arrows, a morningstar, and studded leather armor.

Tegannie
2012-05-29, 01:02 AM
"what do you think Sneggie? Should we keep this stuff? I don't think so, I was never any good with a bow. Maybe we can get I on our way out and sell it."

Natalie and Sneg will head back to the entrance and head in, ready to attack.

Eonas
2012-05-29, 11:56 AM
The "corridor" at the back of the cave slopes down first gently, then steeper and steeper, until the slope is almost at a 45 degree angle. The Upon getting to the bottom, the slope abruptly changes from steep to nonexistent, and the natural cavelike surface of the "corridor" and cave above also changes to a fairly well-hewn actual corridor, 5 feet wide and around 7 feet high. The corridor goes straight forwards for around 25 feet, at which point it turns left at a 90 degree angle.

Is Natalie going down first, or Sneg?

Tegannie
2012-05-29, 12:01 PM
Natalied goes first, followed by Sneg. Natalie goes down the corridor, stopping right before the corner, peering around.

Natalie:
Listen: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]
Hide: [roll3]

Sneg:
Listen: [roll4]
Move Silently: [roll5]
Spot: [roll6]
Hide: [roll7]

Eonas
2012-05-29, 12:14 PM
As you go down, both you and Sneg hear the "pad, pad, pad" of feet walking, coming from the other, perpendicular, corridor. They sound very near to the corner.

DM rolls:
Grim's Listen: [roll0]
Natalie Init: [roll1]
Sneg Init: [roll2]
Grim Init: [roll3]

EDIT: Okay, Sneg moves first in the initiative, then you. What do you two do? Do you want to go to the corner anyways, or something else? You're around 15-20 feet from the corridor, by the way.

Tegannie
2012-05-29, 12:26 PM
Sneg look's at Natalie, who nods. He walks around the corner and bites the first goblin he sees.

Natalie follows him, attacking the some person.

Sneg:
Trip: [roll2]

Natalie:
Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

Eonas
2012-05-29, 01:11 PM
You and Sneg round the corner to find not a goblin, but a grimlock! Both Sneg's teeth and your spear find their marks, and the grimlock snarls in rage.

Now Sneg gets an action, followed by the grimlock, followed by you.

Tegannie
2012-05-29, 01:21 PM
Sneg and Natalie will attack again

Sneg:

Natalie:
Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

Eonas
2012-05-29, 02:11 PM
You never get a chance to attack, as Sneg rips out the grimlock's neck first. +300 XP.

The corridor in front of you extends around 40 feet, at which point it turns left, while another passage coming from your left T-intersects it about 10 feet in.

Sort of like this:

S
N

Where * is a portion of the hallways, S is Sneg, and N is Natalie.

What do you want to do now?

Tegannie
2012-05-29, 04:48 PM
Sneg will go forward ten feet and keep watch. Natalie will go forward five feet and peer around the corner.

Natalie:
Listen:[roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

Sneg:
Listen:[roll2]
Spot: [roll3]

Eonas
2012-05-29, 05:02 PM
You see another passage, extending for another 40 feet and turning left at the end, again. You hear two goblinoid voices yammering at each other. They sound displeased.

Tegannie
2012-05-29, 05:39 PM
Natalie and Sneg will move toward the voices, Sneg bringing up the rear.

Move silently:
Sneg: [roll1]

Tegannie
2012-05-29, 05:41 PM
They will go up to the turn and peer around the corner.

Natalie's Spot: [roll0]

Eonas
2012-05-29, 08:53 PM
You see another hallway going on for another 10 feet, at the end of which there is a wooden door on the right wall. It is quite clear now that the yammering is coming from the other end of the door.

Still more DM rolls...
[roll0][roll1]

Tegannie
2012-05-29, 09:00 PM
Natalie and Sneg turn around and go down the other hall.

Eonas
2012-05-29, 09:43 PM
Okay, upon reaching the other end of the T, thus:

N
S

Looking around the corner (to the left, remember) reveals another 30 feet of corridor, turning to the right at the end.

Roll a DC 15 Listen Check, if you succeed, you get to view the contents of this spoiler.

You hear splashing waves off to the distance, coming from in front of you and to the right. In other words, if you're facing north, you'd hear the waves from around north-east.

Tegannie
2012-05-29, 09:46 PM
Sneg: [roll1]

Tegannie
2012-05-29, 10:29 PM
Natalie turns to Sneg, "Well, Sneggie, which way should we go?" she whispers quietly in Druidic.

Sneg gives her a look that says "I dunno nor do I care."

"Hmmm, I suppose we are here to kill the goblins, let's go kill those behind the door. Oh, and I keep forgetting to loot the bodies...and remember Sneg, quiet!"

Natalie, followed by Sneg, go back to the door, searching the grimlock on the way.

Natalie:
Move Silently: [roll0]
Search: [roll1]

Sneg:
Move Silently: [roll2]

Eonas
2012-05-31, 01:03 AM
Sorry about the delay, again. Posting this week might be a bit spotty.

You find a stone battleaxe. If you succeed on a DC 15 Knowledge (Nature) check, reveal the following spoiler.

Goblins often use and partially tame Grimlocks for their own use.

And I can't resolve the second part of your post right now, since I am away from my home computer right now and therefore my charts, maps, tables, and miscellaneous DM-ery.

Tegannie
2012-05-31, 01:16 AM
Knowledge (nature): [roll0]

Natalie turns to Sneg, whispering in druidic, "Stone axe...meh, I'll stick with what I have. Maybe we can pick this stuff up on our way out and sell it? No point in carrying it with us."

Natalie and Sneg will go to the door and open it, very slowly.

Eonas
2012-05-31, 06:21 PM
When you get to the door, the voices are still arguing.

DM rolls:
Listen 1 [roll0]
Listen 2 [roll1]
Init 1[roll2]
Init 2[roll3]
Init Nat[roll4]
Init Sneg[roll5]

You open the door and see two goblins in a rectangular room. They're at opposite ends of it, and are aiming a shortbow at each other, Mexican standoff-style. One of them turns towards you and starts in surprise, the other keeps his focus on the first goblin.

**g******NS
*****G***

g is aware of you, G isn't.

Initiative order:

Natalie
Sneg
goblin (aware of you)
Goblin (surprised goblin)
Natalie
Sneg
goblin
...etc.

Tegannie
2012-05-31, 07:08 PM
Natalie will run and attack "g" with her spear using power attack (subtracting one from attack and adding it to damage).

Afterwards Sneg will attack "G".

Rolls:

Natalie:
Attack:
Damage: [roll]1b8+5

Sneg:
Attack:
Trip: {roll]1d20+1

Tegannie
2012-05-31, 07:11 PM
fixing rolls:
Natalie damage: [roll0]

Sneg trip: [roll1]

Eonas
2012-06-01, 11:10 AM
Natalie's spear easily misses the Goblin, and Sneg's teeth snap shut just an inch from the other's flesh. The Goblin that Natalie is engaging takes a step back and shoots at Natalie. Roll AoO for Natalie. The Goblin that Sneg is engaging drops his shortbow, draws a short dagger, and slashes at Sneg. Roll AoO for Sneg.

DM rolls
g: [roll0]
G: [roll1]

Tegannie
2012-06-01, 11:17 AM
Natalie: (nonpower attack)

Sneg:
Attack: [roll]1d20+3[roll]
Damage: [roll]1d6+1[roll]

Tegannie
2012-06-01, 11:18 AM
fixing rolls:

Sneg:
Attack: [roll]1d20+3/[roll]
Damage: [roll0]

Tegannie
2012-06-01, 11:20 AM
gah:smallmad:

Sneg:

Eonas
2012-06-01, 11:22 AM
Your exchange of blows with the Goblins leaves all four participants unscathed. Your turn again.

Tegannie
2012-06-01, 11:26 AM
Natalie and Sneg attack again

Natalie: (power attack)

Sneg:
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
Trip: [roll4]

Eonas
2012-06-01, 11:38 AM
Natalie lodges her spear in the goblin's neck, and pulling it out again the goblin makes a pitiful attempt at a gasp and falls on his face, motionless.

Sneg's teeth now meet their mark and the goblin screeches in pain. Realizing that he's now outnumbered against superior forces, he puts his back against the wall, adopts a defensive pose, and cries for help.

With the slight lull in combat and with your new position you can notice two wooden doors on the other side of the room.

?
|*g******NS
|****G***
?

| is a door and ? signifies where the door leads (it leads perpendicular to how you're facing).

More DM rolls...

[roll0]

Tegannie
2012-06-01, 11:43 AM
"Finish him, Sneggie," Natalie says in common.

Sneg will go over and bite the covering goblin while Natalie searches the dead one.

Natalie:
Search: [roll0]

Sneg:
Attack: [roll1]

Eonas
2012-06-01, 01:44 PM
You find a vial filled with a curious brownish liquid, a shortbow, 29 arrows, a dagger, and hide armor.

Sneg bites the hapless goblin again. The creature maintains his defensive stance, screaming again in goblin language.

Your turn again.

Tegannie
2012-06-01, 06:26 PM
Sneg will bite the goblin again, while Natalie listens at the door next to g.

Natalie:
Listen: [roll0]

Sneg:
Attack: [roll1]