PDA

View Full Version : The Master of the Black Blade (PF PrC, PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2012-05-28, 12:46 AM
The Master of the Black Blade

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz350/ricepanda1712/Bleach/bankai.jpg

A master of the black blade is a warrior who has truly blended his magic with his weapon, and as a result, he unlocks his hidden potential as a magus.

Prerequisites:
In order to become a master of the black blade, you must meet the following prerequisites:

Feat: Weapon Focus with the type of weapon that you have chosen for your Black Blade class feature.
Spellcasting: Able to prepare and cast 3rd level arcane spells.
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 9 ranks.
Special: Must have the Black Blade class feature.

HD: d8
Class Skills: The master of the black blade's class skills are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Fly (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill Points: 2+Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Might of the Blade Wielder, Black Blade|

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|One with the Sword|+1 level existing arcane class

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Arcane Parry|

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Flurry of Strikes|+1 level existing arcane class

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Aura of Arcane Horror|

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Versatile Blade|+1 level existing arcane class

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Arcane Critical|

8th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+6|Mystic Swordsman|+1 level existing arcane class

9th|
+6|
+6|
+3|
+6|The Black Sword of Legend|

10th|
+7|
+7|
+3|
+7|The Master of the Black Blade|+1 level existing arcane class
[/table]

Class Features: All of the following are class features of the master of the black blade class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Masters of the black blade gain no additional proficiencies.

Might of the Blade Wielder (Ex): A master of the black blade's magic is empowered while he is wielding his magic weapon. Any time the master of the black blade casts a magus spell while wielding his black blade, he receives a bonus to his caster level for that spell equal to the enhancement bonus of the black blade.

Black Blade (Ex): A master of the black blade's class levels count as magus levels for the purposes of determining the black blade's powers, enhancement bonus, Intelligence score, Wisdom score, Charisma score, and Ego.

Spellcasting: At each even level, the master of the black blade receives additional spells per day, access to higher level spells, and an increased caster level as if he had gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class he belonged to before taking levels of master of the black blade. He does not receive any additional benefits of that class.

One with the Sword (Ex): The master of the black blade shares a tight bond with his weapon. They can communicate, resonate, and empower one another, and together, they are an unstoppable force. The master of the black blade will not let go of his weapon without a fight. Starting at 2nd level, a master of the black blade adds his class level to his CMD against disarm and sunder attempts made while he is wielding his black blade.

Arcane Parry (Su): The master may wield his black blade, but the weapon has a mind of its own, and it can protect its master on its own. Starting at 3rd level, while the master of the black blade is wielding his black blade, the black blade may spend one point from its arcane pool as an immediate action to attempt to negate an attack roll. This ability can only be used when the master is targeted by an attack, before the player knows the result of the attack roll. Generally speaking, this attempt will be met with instant recognition by the master, and so they work together to parry, but if the master is preoccupied, unconscious, or unwilling, the blade itself can simply move and the master's arm will move with it.

The blade makes an attack roll using the master's base attack bonus and Strength score (with any additional modifiers, as if the master himself was making the attack roll). If the master is unwilling, unconscious, or is otherwise unable to cooperate with the blade, it takes a -4 penalty to this attack roll. If the blade's attack roll exceeds the attack roll made against the master, the attack is blocked.

Flurry of Strikes (Ex): By spending one point from either the master's or the black blade's arcane pool as a swift action, the master may make a single additional attack with the black blade at his highest attack bonus as part of a full-round or standard action attack. This effect lasts until the end of the round, and is wasted if the master does not make an attack.

Aura of Arcane Horror (Su): The master and his black blade are truly a sight to behold. Watching their bloody dance can be too much for some, and the blade is well aware of this. It frightens everyone who comes near it, and makes them cower before the might of the master and blade.

Starting at 5th level, as long as the black blade has at least 1 point left in its arcane pool, the master may project an Aura of Arcane Horror as a standard action. While the aura is active, enemy creatures within 60 feet who can see the master must make a Will save (DC equal to the black blade's Ego score+the master's Intelligence modifier) or be shaken for 4d6 rounds whenever the master attacks or charges with his black blade. Additionally, the master may spend one point of the black blade's arcane pool as a swift action to force all creatures within 30 feet who are currently shaken to make a Will save (DC equal to the black blade's Ego score+the master's Intelligence modifier) or cower for 1 round. A master may only attempt to force creatures to cower once per encounter.

The aura may be suppressed or resumed as a standard action. If the black blade's arcane pool becomes empty, the aura is immediately suppressed.

Versatile Blade (Ex): As the master and his blade grow, they each become stronger in ways a normal magus and blade could not. At 6th level, the black blade gains a number of skill points equal to 2+its Intelligence modifier. The black blade may only spend these skill points on Int-, Wis-, or Cha-related skills. All skills are treated as cross-class skills for the black blade. The black blade is treated as having a number of hit dice equal to the master's character level for the purposes of determining its maximum skill ranks. Each time the master gains a level in either the master of black blade class or the magus class, the black blade gains an additional 2+Int skill points.

Arcane Critical (Su): Starting at 7th level, the master automatically confirms all critical threats made by his black blade. Additionally, whenever the master successfully damages a creature with a critical hit while wielding his black blade, the master's arcane energy slowly returns to him. The master recovers 1 point to his own arcane pool.

Mystic Swordsman (Sp): A master of the black blade is a warrior first and a caster second. By channeling all of his magical energy away at once, he is able to transcend his limits and become a true champion of swordplay. As a standard action, an 8th level master of the black blade may spend 1 point from his arcane pool to cast transformation, as the spell, as a spell-like ability with a caster level equal to his highest arcane caster level.

The Black Sword of Legend (Su): To come so far as a master, the master of the black blade has truly dedicated a large portion of his magical and physical power to his weapon, and because of that, the sword has reached the pinnacle of its potential. At 9th level, the weapon becomes much more powerful. Each day, when the master of the black blade prepares his spells, he may select a single enchantment ability from the following list and apply it to his black blade for the next 24 hours (or until he prepares his spells again, but he must rest for 8 hours before he is able to change the enchantment): flaming burst, shocking burst, icy burst, anarchic, holy, unholy, axiomatic, speed or bane. The black blade may not be enhanced with an alignment component that does not match its own alignment (a Good black blade cannot be unholy).

Additionally, while the master is wielding it, the weapon deals damage as if it were one Size category larger than it is, and its critical threat range is doubled (this does not stack with similar effects like keen edge or Improved Critical).

The Master of the Black Blade (Su): Very few ever reach the end of their journey, to truly merge magic with weapon and become a warrior without peer. But for those who do, amazing power awaits them.

At 10th level, the master of the black blade is able to modify any spell he casts through the black blade as if it was affected by the Empower Spell feat. He does not need to have the Empower Spell feat, and it does not affect the casting time nor the level of the spell. If the master of the black blade does not possess the Spellstrike class feature, he gains that ability as part of this class feature.

Additionally, while wielding the black blade, the master gains a deflection bonus to his AC equal to the black blade's enhancement bonus. The black blade gains an additional use of the Arcane Parry ability per round. If the black blade wishes to use Arcane Parry a second time in a round, it costs no additional points from the arcane pool, nor does it require an action.

Finally, the master of the black blade and his black blade each gain an additional 10 points added to their arcane pools.

nonsi
2012-05-28, 01:11 AM
If you don't mind me asking, what is "Black Blade class feature", and which Magus class are we talking about ?

Midwoka
2012-05-28, 01:26 AM
If you don't mind me asking, what is "Black Blade class feature", and which Magus class are we talking about ?

The Magus is a base class that was in the Ultimate Magic book. They combine magic and martial prowess, for those who are unwilling to multiclass. =)

EDIT: And I just looked up the Black Blade, which is apparently an alternate class feature for the Magus. It's also in Ultimate Magic.

NeoSeraphi
2012-05-28, 01:29 AM

The Black Blade class feature is part of the Bladebound archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/bladebound) for the magus.

ScrambledBrains
2012-05-28, 02:16 PM
I believe there are words missing from the proficiencies line, and the flurry of strikes line. Other than those, I didn't see any grammatical errors. As for PEACHing, I know nothing of the Magus, so I leave that to others. :smallbiggrin:

NeoSeraphi
2012-05-28, 02:36 PM
I believe there are words missing from the proficiencies line, and the flurry of strikes line. Other than those, I didn't see any grammatical errors. As for PEACHing, I know nothing of the Magus, so I leave that to others. :smallbiggrin:

You're missing out. The magus is pretty awesome. It's like a PF duskblade, but less "wizard with full BAB" and more its own class with its own abilities that can't easily be replicated through spellcasting. Plus, the Bladebound archetype...other classes get familiars or animal companions, but the Bladebound magus gets an intelligent weapon. At level 3! As a class feature, you get an item so unique that most of its kind are considered artifacts! I'm dying to play one.

Thanks for your help with the grammar though. I was pretty tired last night. Hope you think my class features are at least flashy and cool-sounding.

Wyntonian
2012-05-28, 04:36 PM
Well, I've always been curious about the Magus, so this looks fun.

Note that I know jack-all about intelligent weapons, so bear with me on that part. I can't accurately judge how important that aspect of the character is.

First, because this is Pathfinder, you need to be 9th level to enter this class, yes? I thought it was 6th for a while, and that kinda changes the relative power level of this class.

Might of the Blade Wielder (Ex): A master of the black blade's magic is empowered while he is wielding his magic weapon. Any time the master of the black blade casts a magus spell while wielding his black blade, he receives a bonus to his caster level for that spell equal to the enhancement bonus of the black blade.

I like how this kinda helps keep the character's spells relevant, even though it's a 1/2 casting class.

One With the Sword is a good ability. I like to see that sort of thing, helping fighters not get wrecked by not having a weapon, because some huge thing snapped it.

Arcane Parry (Su): How big is the blade's arcane pool by now? 3? That sounds pretty reasonable.

Flurry of Strikes looks decent. Limited by your arcane pool, but I don't know how quickly you'll burn through that in practice.

Aura of Arcane Horror..... Is pretty intense. Cool fluff, I love that, but it's pretty good. Cowering creatures are pretty useless. This, plus flurry of strikes, plus what I assume must be some blasty-type spells on the Magus list, makes you the bane of mooks everywhere.

Versatile Blade lets your sword make spot Perception checks for you. Noice.

Arcane Critical (Su): I don't suppose they have Kukris in Pathfinder? I know you can choose a rapier. I would, just because of this.

Mystic Swordsman (Sp): Dayum, son. You can do that as many times per day as you want, by this point, so you can be rocking this every encounter. Fun. This, plus Flurry of Strikes, plus the Aura of Arcane Horror debuff, plus Arcane Crit (You'll be making plenty of attacks) makes you a straight-up badass. This is a pretty dang strong PrC. Balanced-ish, but really strong.

Black Blade of Legend is a fun alterable weapon enchant. Nothing wrong with that.

But this:

the weapon deals damage as if it were one Size category larger than it is, and its critical threat range is doubled (this does not stack with similar effects like keen edge or Improved Critical).

Is just more motivation to take a rapier. 15-20 crit range, auto-confirm every crit, and get resources back from it? Nice.

The Master of the Black Blade (Su):

You're 19th level at this point. This is really strong, but whatever.

I'd reduce the number of arcane pool points, though. if you give them 20 more, they can go nova ALL THE TIME.

So, yeah, that's my take on it.

NeoSeraphi
2012-05-28, 10:25 PM
Well, I've always been curious about the Magus, so this looks fun.

Note that I know jack-all about intelligent weapons, so bear with me on that part. I can't accurately judge how important that aspect of the character is.

First, because this is Pathfinder, you need to be 9th level to enter this class, yes? I thought it was 6th for a while, and that kinda changes the relative power level of this class.

Yes, you need to be 9th level in order to enter.

I like how this kinda helps keep the character's spells relevant, even though it's a 1/2 casting class.

One With the Sword is a good ability. I like to see that sort of thing, helping fighters not get wrecked by not having a weapon, because some huge thing snapped it.

Thank you. The Black Blade itself is actually immune to the broken condition (which is how Sundering works in PF), but it can still be rendered useless if it takes enough damage.

Arcane Parry (Su): How big is the blade's arcane pool by now? 3? That sounds pretty reasonable.

The black blade's Arcane Pool (without shenanigans or the capstone of this class) never increases beyond 5 (when you're 19th level). So yeah...it's pretty reasonable I think.

Flurry of Strikes looks decent. Limited by your arcane pool, but I don't know how quickly you'll burn through that in practice.

The magus has a very small arcane pool, which, you should note, I do not advance in this class. The magus's arcane pool is equal to 1/3rd his magus level + his Intelligence modifier, so probably 7-9ish, since he is not as SAD as a wizard.

Aura of Arcane Horror..... Is pretty intense. Cool fluff, I love that, but it's pretty good. Cowering creatures are pretty useless. This, plus flurry of strikes, plus what I assume must be some blasty-type spells on the Magus list, makes you the bane of mooks everywhere.

See above. It's important to realize that I don't advance the magus's own arcane pool here, just the blade's. Yes, the capstone does advance the magus's points, but at that point you're playing at level 19 and you might as well just turn your hat in because Epic-level play is crazy.

Versatile Blade lets your sword make spot Perception checks for you. Noice.

Yes. I thought it was weird that your sword could be blinded or deafened but couldn't actually make Perception checks.

Arcane Critical (Su): I don't suppose they have Kukris in Pathfinder? I know you can choose a rapier. I would, just because of this.

It's the weirdest thing. Kukris have a weapons description page on the PRD, but they aren't listed on the weapons page itself, so I don't know if kukris are martial or exotic in PF. Anyway, taking a rapier over a longsword just for Arcane Critical, which is a 16th level ability, should be just fine. You lose a lot of damage in the long run and you have to wait a long time for it to pay off, but...

Mystic Swordsman (Sp): Dayum, son. You can do that as many times per day as you want, by this point, so you can be rocking this every encounter. Fun. This, plus Flurry of Strikes, plus the Aura of Arcane Horror debuff, plus Arcane Crit (You'll be making plenty of attacks) makes you a straight-up badass. This is a pretty dang strong PrC. Balanced-ish, but really strong.

Note that the transformation spell absolutely forbids you to cast spells while it is active. And transformation is a magus spell anyway, it's just a spell that the Master of the Black Blade lost because of all the lost caster levels.

And again, I can't stress this enough. The master's arcane pool is only 3+Int until the capstone. I also took away his magus arcana progression, so he doesn't have many ways to spend arcane pool points other than the ways mentioned here.

Black Blade of Legend is a fun alterable weapon enchant. Nothing wrong with that.

But this:

Is just more motivation to take a rapier. 15-20 crit range, auto-confirm every crit, and get resources back from it? Nice.

Sure, more motivation to take a rapier is cool. Remember, though, not every creature is vulnerable to critical hits. But personally, I feel that at this point, since your casting has been nerfed so badly, you should have recoverable daily resources to make up for it. (So did Paizo, since the Black Blade itself already gives you back arcane points when you use it to kill a creature at 19th level).

The Master of the Black Blade (Su):

You're 19th level at this point. This is really strong, but whatever.

I'd reduce the number of arcane pool points, though. if you give them 20 more, they can go nova ALL THE TIME.

So, yeah, that's my take on it.

It's not 20 more. It's 10 to the magus, 10 to the sword. The magus spends his points on Aura of Arcane Horror, Mystic Swordsman, and Flurry of Strikes. The blade spends its points on Black Blade abilities and Arcane Parry.

But fair enough. I'll cut the bonus to the magus to 5.

stack
2012-05-29, 12:19 PM
Would it be better to re-word the text of arcane parry? Blocking an incoming weapon is a fine description, but seems like you are asking for someone to try bizarre rules-fu to abuse or avoid it. Perhaps 'when targeted by a weapon attack' or even 'when targeted by an attack' if you wanted to include rays in the ability.

I would be for including rays anyway. The lost caster levels are a big enough penalty, especially with the limited arcane pool (the extra arcane pool feat would be taken often, I suspect). I would probably have made it full bab since it has 5/10 casting, but that isn't a significant issue.

The PRD shows kukris as martial weapons on the chart (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/equipment.html). Are they missing elsewhere?

NeoSeraphi
2012-05-29, 12:39 PM
Would it be better to re-word the text of arcane parry? Blocking an incoming weapon is a fine description, but seems like you are asking for someone to try bizarre rules-fu to abuse or avoid it. Perhaps 'when targeted by a weapon attack' or even 'when targeted by an attack' if you wanted to include rays in the ability.

Good idea. Always better to have clear-cut restrictions. Updating now.

I would be for including rays anyway. The lost caster levels are a big enough penalty, especially with the limited arcane pool (the extra arcane pool feat would be taken often, I suspect). I would probably have made it full bab since it has 5/10 casting, but that isn't a significant issue.

I think magus is a perfect example of 3/4 BAB. A close, evenly distributed blend of magic and martial. And the full BAB thing is made up for by Mystic Swordsman, since transformation makes your BAB equal to your character level anyway.