PDA

View Full Version : Unearthed Arcana Spell Points

Garan
2012-05-28, 09:38 AM
I decided to retain some of the old ideas and made anyone that would need to prepare their spells do so. This is so that there still is a distinction between classes such as the sorcerer and the wizard.
Based on this, I have several things I want to get some opinions on:
Would any class that can give up a spell to get another spontaneous spell be able to give up a higher one and then use the extra points on another one? For example, a druid gave up a 5th level spell (9 spell points) to cast Summon Nature's Ally II (3 SP). Could they then cast two more of those, totaling the points they gave up?
Also, it says that you only need to spend extra points on spells that have damage dice that scale with your level. The only classes that have that are sorcerer and wizard. The others (druid, bard, paladin, ranger, cleric) have duration, range, and other such factors increase with level. I noticed that the spells for those do scale with the spell level (example: the cure/inflict series), but some, like the druid's Produce Flame, would actually do more damage at higher levels, albeit over a rather long period of time. Would it be better for those classes, under the spell point system, to use more of the lower level spells to get more out of their points?

eggs
2012-05-28, 01:32 PM
On the spontaneous summoning/healing question, it's your houserule, your call. I'd think it would be less of a paperwork nightmare to just discard the unused points. There's rarely a reason to use lower-level versions of the spells anyway.

On efficiency, yeah, you'd get more damage per spell point through low-level spells with nonstandard scaling. But gradual plinking is almost always a bad tactic. The most efficient play with the spell point system almost always means novaing high-level slots to shut encounters down quickly.

Airanath
2012-05-28, 03:23 PM
I don' really get the changes you made to the SPs... according to UA those classes already prepare spells, but in such a way that they have a different spell list everyday. So what used to be the wizard's dayly allotment is now his "known spells" for this day (or prepared as you say). After that SPs are spent like PPs, you can spend them to fuel anything on your list. Classes that get spontaneous spells are considered.to have said spells on their list at any given time and just need to use the SP.
The way I understood your system its basically the current spell system, reworked around in points to allow a caster to prepare more of his high level stuff. So lets look at it from that perspective. A druid sacrificing a 6th lvl slot to cast summon monster 3 is allowed to cast said spell twice? No he isn't, thus a druid on your system shouldn't either, the extra agical energy was lost during the conversion (think of it as sacrificing his empowered call lightining for a summon monster 3, there were 2 levels in there of metamagic energy that would be lost in this excange). He would be better off using it for a lvl appropriate summon monster, if the lower level summon is more advantageous, he can call multiples as per the spell description.